As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Demon's Souls: The End (kinda)

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, hopefully you tally up all the votes, as I'd voted weeks back!

Dranyth on
  • Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Looking back at the votes it seems that 2-3 and 4-1 are more or less tied. Since 2-3 can be done in one video I think what I'll do is finish 2-3 then do 4-1 right after. I guess that makes 2 sets incoming after I return from my trip.

Trynant on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sounds like a plan! I thought you should've put 2-3 on the end of 2-1 *anyway* but eh, whatever works.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    All of the X-3 levels are really short, with the possible exceptions of 5-3 and definitely 1-3. It would be better to wait till they are all unlocked and stick 2-3, 3-3 and 4-3 into one set. To be fair I don't know how fast you can take down most of these bosses, I'm just going by how long it would take me to kill them and it would probably be one video for each.
    yeah I'm just shamelessly pushing for more content ^_^

atat23 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Nah, spread them out. Also, there is no 3-4.

But they are typically short levels and should probably be added to another set because of that. I'd say the only real exception to that is 1-4 because that boss actually gets his own level... even though it's shorter than a standard level, it's still longer than any other final boss level. Besides, there's a lot of useful stuff to be gotten from some of them, like God's Wrath, Firestorm or Fireball from 2-3's boss' soul.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    3-4? why whatever do you mean (ignore that edit)

yeah, meant 4-3 :P

atat23 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    And then you blatantly leave out 5-3! Speaking of which, I'm going to listen to that track... creepy harpsichord.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    yeah fuck 5-3, I hate that plague ridden place!

atat23 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Update! Bad news!

I have everything set up again and can record videos....except for the tiny fact that my power cord to my capture box (on that bitches at me if I don't use the exact right power cord) is missing.

Shouldn't take to long to find it (I'm pretty sure I left it at someone's house), but this is just to let you know to not expect an update too soon.

Trynant on
  • Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm really digging the Demon's Souls playthrough. These are awesome. I love this game and really can't get enough of it. I'm usually reading about it when i'm not playing it.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Another LP of a game I'll never play. Huzzah!

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Adam BombAdam Bomb Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was hungering to watch some Demon's Souls gameplay, and I found this speed run on YouTube. It's a nice quick tour through the levels and bosses, in only 1:08. The original uploader didn't make a playlist out of them and the videos weren't uploaded in order, so I put them into an ordered list. Thanatos' Demon's Souls Speed Run

Adam Bomb on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The speed run was amazing.

So yeah, bump. I'm not dead and this LP is still in the works. I recorded 2-3 and 4-1 today and will get them uploaded as soon as possible. I'm going to make this two sets so that I have an excuse to upload 2-3 as fast as I can.
    I still have not died o_O

These ridiculous delays between updates are getting out of hand. I was thinking one way to cut down on time between videos would be for the voting process to be sped up.

Instead of waiting between each video to vote on the next level, I could get more videos out faster if people could vote on the entire sequence they want me to run (e.g. "do the rest of world 4, finish 5, then 3, then 1") I know some of you have already done this, so I will count in those votes.

I'll update the OP with this info, and just as a reminder here is the progress I've made so far. Red for unbeaten levels, Lime for beaten levels. For those of you who haven't played this game yet or forgot, I have to beat each world in succession (e.g. I cannot beat 1-3 before 1-2).

1-1 1-2 1-3 1-4
    2-1 2-2 2-3
    3-1 3-2 3-3
    4-1 4-2 4-3
    5-1 5-2 5-3

I will tally the votes by counting all the levels voted for the next set, then all the levels voted for the set after that and so forth. Please vote so I can go and kill these demon's and get their souls!

Trynant on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Lets see... I say, do the rest of world 3, then 5, then 4 and last 1.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd say go 5-4-3-1.

Mostly because I want to see you do 5-2 already.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I will vote for 1-2, then 4, 5, 3, the rest of 1

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh gods, I didn't even know this LP was happening. I've got some catching up to do!

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I just said 3 because I think 3-3 has the highest chance of him dying his first time, finally. Presuming his online portion is working at that point.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Presuming his online portion is working at that point.

Ugh, my online is working somewhat but I think there's also a little bit of lack of people at my level wanting me dead. I went through 4-1 and didn't have a single black phantom :(

It's going to be about another hour before the video for 2-3 is up. I'm counting that as a set and going to upload 4-1 as another set (which will come up a lot faster than my previous updates).

Trynant on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Set 6 is here!

It's only one video (and a bonus video that will be uploaded shortly) :(

But set 7 should be up in the next few days if not by the end of this weekend!

And sorry for the terrible reference.

Set 6: Rock the Dragon

Set 6

Trynant on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Definitely do 1 last. 1-4's boss is always the hardest for me. Its the only one I really can't cheese through.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The results of the votes so far:

5-1 -> 4-2 -> 5-3 -> 3-2 -> 4-3 -> 3-3 -> 1-2 -> 1-3 -> 1-4

Making me do the hard stuff eh? Keep 'em coming folks!

I'll get to working on editing the bonus video for set 6 late this evening. Set 7 will probably be uploaded by the middle of this week.

EDIT: Also I updated the OP to better reflect the new changes. Also I added this image:
    completionlist.jpg

EDIT EDIT: The bonus video for Set 6 is up! I show Scirvir my Bone Smasher and he gives me his stone!

Set 6 Bonus

Trynant on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey Trynant, do you have any of these around for direct download anywhere, or should I try to nab them from youtube?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hey Trynant, do you have any of these around for direct download anywhere, or should I try to nab them from youtube?

I do not have these for download yet, but this would not be too hard to pull off. All of the videos are on my hard drive, so I could try to upload them somewhere. I don't have any real idea what are good file-sharing sites. I will look into this, but if you have any sites you would recommend for file-sharing I'm all ears.

Trynant on
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was going to suggest dropbox but since 2 GB wouldn't be enough to host all of it at a good quality you might want to try using archive.org. They have a video section there that you may upload your video to. I don't think they have file size caps.

peterdevore on
  • Options
    CrewMember169CrewMember169 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This game was so great. Very few games I bother to finish... This was one.

CrewMember169 on
  • Options
    totallytotally Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    After watching this last set and seeing the stance of the MC with it, the Dagon Bone Smasher is clearly a Berserk reference. Never noticed that before.

totally on
    GT: totallyrobot GSID: totallytotally
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Set 7 is up! I take down 4-1 with ease, but I suffer from a shocking disappointment: no black phantom invasions D:

I think I'm going to have to go hunt down some players with a Black Eye Stone if people don't start invading me soon :x

Either way, still alive.

If you haven't already, vote on the order I do the rest of the levels in. I'll start the next level Friday'ish, so vote soon! If the votes stay where they are I'll be doing 5-2 next...

Set 7: Boned

Trynant on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Nice, I never knew Skeletons were so weak to blunt, my epic sword fights with them all were for nothing.

Can I ask what's up with the video lengths, they seem to be all over the place, is that because of some technical issue or is it a conscious choice?

I'm really just pointing it out because it would be easier to watch if you condensed it down into two 15 min videos and then the boss video. The fact that each have their own separate opening really breaks up the action as well and having to watch it five or six times is a bit boring.

atat23 on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Grrr... a friend of mine borrowed this and God of War 3. I know he hasn't touched either one of them. I'll need to get this back so I can actually play it again before the servers go down for good. *sob*

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    atat23 wrote: »
    Nice, I never knew Skeletons were so weak to blunt, my epic sword fights with them all were for nothing.

Can I ask what's up with the video lengths, they seem to be all over the place, is that because of some technical issue or is it a conscious choice?

I'm really just pointing it out because it would be easier to watch if you condensed it down into two 15 min videos and then the boss video. The fact that each have their own separate opening really breaks up the action as well and having to watch it five or six times is a bit boring.

It was conscious choice, I wanted to break up the videos at points where I thought they head a reasonable "conclusion" (e.g. begin a video after freeing Blige and end it after clearing up to the ledge with the golden skeletons). I was in the mindset that shorter videos would be more watchable, but at the same time I was worried the problems you just voiced. Short videos break up the action with the intros added in.

Should I keep the intros between each part if I made the parts longer (possibly barring the Nexus preparations and the boss fights)? Or should I just limit the intro to the beginning of a set?

Trynant on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Definitely axe the intro, save it for the beginning of the set only. I couldn't remember if I'd made this comment earlier in the thread or not, but I'd meant to. Go with the longer videos in my opinion. I prefer to get a video loading and watch it, rather than have to click through all of Youtube's BS to get a bunch of short videos loading one after another.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Whenever I watch these (and I'm a couple sets behind), I open up all the videos from the set in different tabs and just click between them. That way, I don't have to mess with the linking mess that YouTube throws up.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I don't really like opening up too many Youtube videos at once (for one thing I have to go through and pause all of them), but for another, it slows down the downloading of the first video I'm supposed to be watching. Lately Youtube has seemed somewhat throttled if I try more than two at once.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well the time is up for voting (for the next set at least), and the next level to be worked on is...
    5-2!

While I'm having fun with that, here's a filler video showcasing the first time I actually spend a decent amount of time grinding in this playthrough.

"Set" 7.5

Trynant on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well, I finished 5-2, did two black phantom invasions (although one invadee killed himself before I could get to him) and died twice (Meat Cleaver Black Phantom and Giant Goblin respectively).

This set took about 2 and a half hours to record, and that means a lot of time spent rendering and editing which in turn means the next set will take a little longer (i.e. won't be up this weekend). I'll see how fast I can get things done but seriously this is the longest set yet.

EDIT: And vote for what order I do the rest of the levels in if you haven't already!

Trynant on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Update: The sets are about halfway done editing-wise. If they don't go up by Friday then it will be until at least Tuesday before they go up because I'm going to be on break and away from my computer.

If you follow the Let's Play Archives thread you might notice that I'm going to try a new way of doing the introductions for the videos. Part 1 of the set will have a long intro comprised of video clip highlights while every part after (and Part 0 for that matter) will just have a pop-up while the game starts. Hopefully this is a good balance between adding an intro (which I want to do) and not breaking up the action.

EDIT: Editing's done. All that needs doing is rendering and uploading. Videos up tonight perhaps?

Trynant on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Okay, one day late. Nevertheless,

5-2 is cleared and here's set 8!

Set 8: C-C-COMBO BREAKER
    Also, let me know what you think of the way intros are set up. I have the first (not the intro but the first gameplay part) of the video have a longer intro sequence while the rest of the set is just text overlayed at the beginning of a video.

Trynant on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    yeah that's a lot better now! I'd go as far to say the over layed set titles are snazzy :D

I'm also loving watching you take out the bosses with melee, I noobed it up with a bow and arrow on pretty much everything.........I was too scared to get close to the scary demons.

atat23 on
  • Options
    Adam BombAdam Bomb Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Good set. Liked the new intros.

Adam Bomb on