As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Formula 1 2010: Box Box. I mean patch patch!

RookRook Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Games and Technology
*except at Monza

logo_f1.png
F1 2010 by Codemasters
Release Date: US: 09/22 EU: 23/09 UK: 24/09
X-Box 360/PS3/PC

I might be alone here as I'm not sure America actually cares about Formula 1 (or that Formula 1 cares about America given some of the previous races they had). But I'm sure a few of us remember what used to be a mainstay of videogame racing in the form of Geoff Crammonds F1GP. Anyways, after a decidedly long absence from most of the formats, F1 Racing is back, in a fashion. It's not a simulation (might want to try rFactor or iRacing in their various guises if that's what you're after), but it is something that should be familiar to those who enjoyed Codemasters previous hits (Dirt 2, Grid).

Having skipped the '09 release on the HD consoles, codemasters have committed themselves to putting in a real effort and not just a quick license cash grab. And the results are looking pretty impressive with enhanced weather effects being the in thing for this update to the Ego engine, and all 19 tracks from this season included as well as all the teams and drivers.

Intro Video

Isn't Formula 1 really boring and no one can overtake?
Race Edit: Canada
Actually, aside from the season opener 2010 has been a pretty great year, formula1.com do some pretty nifty race edits which are worth checking out.

So what's the game all about
F12010Garage.jpg

It's about adjusting your front wing and engine maps, obviously.

It might not be a full on simulation, but a lot of detail has been put in the game. Tyres will degrade, suspension can be tweaked, breaks can be biased. There's a full career mode that sees you putting in the practice, developing the car, racing your team mate, dealing with the press. And then there's the online mode which has up to 12 people taking part. But for most of us it'll be you vs 23 other drivers straight from Formula 1 on any one of the 19 tracks. In the sun in the desert, at night in the city or just you against the rain.

Rain? What's that got to do with anything?
F12010Wet-1.jpg

It makes things wet and hard to see. Any wet race is a good race, as it makes things unpredictable. There's the active track technology as well, which calculates the grip on every square 30cm of the track as the race goes on and rubbers in. Rain washes it all away but it can also pool, allowing you to cool off your tyres.

Cut to the chase, can I do a Mark Webber.
Crash

It's obviously no Gran Tourismo but they've put in the effort - see the flying McLaren at 1.11.

But the mirrors on the Ferrari are all wrong!
game-0288-011748.jpg

Very observant of you! All the cars got signed off a few months into the season, so they're pretty much locked now. There's a fair few other things missing unfortunately, marshalls, safety cars, formation laps, no Dx11 support either although that might get patched back in. Apparently they got Button's new helmet right though.

Rook on

• Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I havent played Dirt or Grid so explain how this isnt a simulation. Is it along the lines of Forza?

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm not super familiar for Forza/GT, but I guess it's probably similar in a style. A sim should really be aiming to recreate something as accurately as possible, whereas a game knows when to drop elements to make them more fun.

Or, to put another way, I can't drive a car in rFactor, yet I'm fine picking up Forza and racing someone when I'm around a friends house. I think this is the same, it should feel real, whilst still being a big gap between actually being real as possible.

Rook on
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thank god, another F1 fan around these parts. I made a thread in D&D once asking why no-one around here was interested in it, and they laughed me off the forum. Joke's on them - this season's been phenomenal.

Preordered my copy for the 360 from amazon, should be turning up on the 24th. The reviews so far have been excellent. Can't wait!

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    After Bahrain, I thought this season would be terrible. I've been fairly wrong on that considering even the low speed tracks have cars trying to mount each other. Still, it's so unfair that the US gets the game 3 days early. Worst rule ever.

Rook on
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They're catering to the huge American F1-following demographic. Both of them.

As an aside, I was at the Belgian Grand Prix this year - wonder if they've modeled the crowd as it was on race day? It's a long shot, but a man can dream. I'll sure as hell be parking at Pouhon to check out whether I can see myself on the banking!

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So glad someone made a thread for this. Super pumped for this tomorrow.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If this is anything like ToCA Race Driver 3, I'll be glad. That one wasn't bad.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I might check this game out even though I'm mostly ignorant on F1 as I have enjoyed the previous Codemasters racing games. I'll be interested to read some impressions in this thread once the game is out.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    battledrillbattledrill Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would so totally get this game if it wasn't for Gran Turismo coming out so soon. And the fact I have kids with Birthdays and other responsibilities. I just got into F1 this year and love it. Alonso FTW!

battledrill on

edited September 2010
    Picked this up today on Steam, and I'm pretty impressed. It's a solid racer, not super sim-y like an rFactor, but just enough to not take away from the actual act of driving.

Only strange thing is that I can't enable hardware audio, and it BSoD'ed me during the middle of a qualifying lap.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    spyduhspyduh Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Awesome first post, and I'm glad to see more F1 fans around here.

Comes out tomorrow in Australia, and I'm beyond excited. There hasn't really been any F1 games that have come close to Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix 1/2/3/4 in my opinion.

Fingers crossed this is as good as it looks..

spyduh on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    This review by Eurogamer is a pretty good evaluation of the game.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is definitely on my list when the monies are available. Been looking forward to it for quite a while.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone in the states get this yet? My local GS still doesn't have it yet.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've read opinions from some folks on other forums regarding it and so far it's been mostly positive.

Apparently there is a small bug with pit stops though - the game controls the car for you during a pit stop (intended) but if you pit at the same time as other cars the engineer holds you in the pits until all the other cars are gone (unintended) basically costing you tons of position. I think the idea was supposed to be the engineer holds you so you don't crash into a passing car, but instead just holds you until everyone is gone.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was at the hungarian gp this year :) I love F1 and even though I have not been a fan of codemasters driving games since the PS1 (Im very fussy about how cars handle) I am really looking forward to picking this up Friday. I can finally put the PS3 (06?) game away once and for all.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    *Insert "Fernando is faster than you." joke*. I will have this on day one for the 360, my racing wheel will be overworked, I'm sure.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    *Insert "Fernando is faster than you." joke*. I will have this on day one for the 360, my racing wheel will be overworked, I'm sure.

If I get to drive for Ferrari in this game and that comes over the radio I will put Alonso in the wall :mrgreen:

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The driving model is rock solid. My only problem is the sound bugs. Since I have an ancient Audigy 2, the game doesn't support hardware audio acceleration, leaving me to use the software acceleration and causing some annoying audio lag and other bugs.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    battledrillbattledrill Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    YOU SHUT YOUR FILTHY MOUTHS! Fernando is my hero, and hes got a big face :)

battledrill on

edited September 2010
    YOU SHUT YOUR FILTHY MOUTHS! Fernando is my hero, and hes got a big face :)

He does have a huge face, I do wonder how he gets a crash helmet that fits. He's a brilliant driver without a doubt, but I don't like him... although he's better than Vettel.

I didn't pre order this so I hope I can find time tomorrow to pick it up (and play it) typical I have a busy weekend when 2 games I really want come out on the same day (Dead Rising).

Slightly unrelated, I also enjoy Indycar (well, we did have a british champ last year right) and I was wondering if any of you americans could tell me why the hell they hurl those poor tire guns across the pit lane after a pit stop? They have all these auto lift things so there no need for jacks, but they cant run the hoses over the top of the road? Sheesh :P Im shocked the gun doesn't wreck a tire more often.

Speaking of pit lane, is that bug in all versions or just the PC?

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I only really watch IRL to watch Danica fail.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't know where to lean too. The 360 version or the PC version. I'm kinda pulling towards the PC version since I'm assuming its the cheaper price of all the versions.

How is it with the 360 controller? I don't have a racing wheel for the 360 or the PC.....

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Fernando is a great driver and he's always had his priorities in order.

fernandoalonsogiancarlo.jpg

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I take it back, he's a class act, totally looking at the right bits, her face is fugly!

In topic related news, game bought, loving it! I have the Xbox version and Im playing with the wheel, its hard, but very rewarding (just staying on the track) Done some practice laps, and started my season in a Lotus. On normal difficulty I managed to qualify 1st (at 20% race distance/Practice 1 and Qually 1 only) so I think I may need to up the difficulty. However I only managed 16th in the race after loosing my nose cone (Im inconsistent right now to say the least), eve after pitting for a nose (everyone pits for tires at 20%) I managed to fight my way back to about fifth, but I cut 2 corners and gave someone a bash over the remaining 8 laps so I guess I was dropped to 16th for time penalties etc.

I hope as you raise the difficulty the punishment for damage is much greater, as without a nose the car was still easily drivable on normal. I think the challenge right now is just to be consistent though, and up the AI/punishments later.

Love the game, and as I said, I hated Dirt and the codemaster Touring car game.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    This guy has the right idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byz8QS6M9os

Now I just need to convince my wife that this kind of setup is worth the money I'd have to spend.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I know it's not supposed to be a full-on simulation, but if it's as much of a sim as Forza 3 I think I'd be into it. I think my friend grabbed a copy so I'm going to give it a try. I'd most likely want to get it for the xbox if the gamepad controls are good.

Still haven't bought a wheel.. which is for the better, cause I'd end up wanting to build a pit (like I almost did for DCS: Blackhawk / LockOn: FC2 / etc..)

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Anyone else on the PC having some performance issues? My specs exceed the recommended, yet I'm still only seeing 25-30 fps.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    DJ Cam Cam wrote: »
    I don't know where to lean too. The 360 version or the PC version. I'm kinda pulling towards the PC version since I'm assuming its the cheaper price of all the versions.

How is it with the 360 controller? I don't have a racing wheel for the 360 or the PC.....

It's one of the few racing games I actually would like a wheel for, but the pad is fine. I'm not sure if the console has the pitlane bug, but if they were in both then I'd think PC might get patched quicker.

Rook on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If it's anything like DiRT 2, it'll be fine with the 360 controller.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I've not even tried with the pad yet, but its spot on with the wheel, I don't see why they wouldn't have put the same (if not more) effort in with the pad.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The controls are pretty sensitive w/ the xbox controller on the PC. I'm not sure if that can be calibrated or not. It's not a big problem, just something to get used to. The menu system is pretty horrible imo. It definitely feels like a console game ported to the PC as far as the UI goes - but it looks great.

I only tried some practice laps so far to see how the pad worked w/ the PC and to check out the performance etc. The game seems to run fine, but I noticed some weird graphical stuff while racing. I was using the 2nd cockpit view (a little higher up in the air) and it looks like the drivers head is bobbing around all the time. I'll need to race with some other cars too cause it seemed like the ghost car was a little glitchy, but I could be wrong.

Overall the game seems like it'll be a lot of fun. I'd like to get my hands on the 360 version to see any difference. I'm definitely not used to racing with these kinds of cars though! I don't know the tracks or really the mentality behind how much you should break vs coast etc.

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    krylon666 wrote: »
    The controls are pretty sensitive w/ the xbox controller on the PC. I'm not sure if that can be calibrated or not. It's not a big problem, just something to get used to. The menu system is pretty horrible imo. It definitely feels like a console game ported to the PC as far as the UI goes - but it looks great.

I only tried some practice laps so far to see how the pad worked w/ the PC and to check out the performance etc. The game seems to run fine, but I noticed some weird graphical stuff while racing. I was using the 2nd cockpit view (a little higher up in the air) and it looks like the drivers head is bobbing around all the time. I'll need to race with some other cars too cause it seemed like the ghost car was a little glitchy, but I could be wrong.

Overall the game seems like it'll be a lot of fun. I'd like to get my hands on the 360 version to see any difference. I'm definitely not used to racing with these kinds of cars though! I don't know the tracks or really the mentality behind how much you should break vs coast etc.

Generally you need to be more aggressive than you'd think. Everything is designed to work at speed. The difference is easily seen in a sim where multiple types of cars are available. In a sports car you're braking pretty far out to get the car slowed down, but in the F1 car you can brake a lot later because it has so much more stopping power...and you have to go faster through the corners to generate the downforce on the wings.

Obligatory "Richard Hammond drives F1 Car" video to illustrate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGUZJVY-sHo

I also like this video which shows you just how different a world it is in an F1 (basically a Mercedes ad):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sFGXh-zthM

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Susie is hot ;) nice video :)

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Helmet view rain effects look amazing, but where is the track?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZavYBQO1ZQ&feature=related

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Although it seems like you cant see anything, once you're actually playing it's not all that intrusive.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Another good reference - Formula1.com has onboard videos from every race this season at: http://www.formula1.com/video/onboard.html

You do have to register for a free account, but it's worth it if you want to get an idea of how the tracks are driven.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    good lord this feels like the hardest racing game I have every played. Even with all noob settings turned on I can't seem do anything worth anything in the races or qualifying....

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Does this have the customary crazy-awesome Codemasters main menu?

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51