As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MLG] Are you man enough?

Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited October 2010 in Games and Technology
chuck_norris.jpgdon_draper.jpg

Are you a winner like great American hero Chuck Norris or Donald Draper? Do you sometimes take things seriously?

Great, then welcome to the MLG thread. You don't need a sweet beard or fancy suit to enjoy MLG, just a passion for competitive gaming.

MLG is kind of a big deal.
Major League Gaming (MLG), founded in 2002 by Sundance DiGiovanni and Mike Sepso, is a North American professional videogame league, headquartered in New York City, New York. MLG has held official video game tournaments throughout the United States and Canada. Major League Gaming competitions have been broadcast on national television, ESPN.com, other broadband sites and via mobile distribution. The company has also been involved in television production, game development and product licensing operations through MLG Properties and through MLG Management. MLG's aim is to elevate computer and console game tournaments to viable competitive and spectator events.

This thread is to discuss really anything MLG related from Halo to Starcraft 2. I am in no way connected to MLG, I just wanted a place for PA members to discuss it. Since it really has no home here, this thread is mostly for Halo competitive gaming. This thread is not for silly geese who think MLG settings are "unhalo" or for people who don't understand what a skill gap is. If you want to talk about how sweet of an assault rifle spree you got or how cool your forklift race was then go here. If you really just want to learn more about MLG don't be afraid to ask any questions, just try and keep an open mind and ffs play the game.

I will also start a list of people who want to play competitively, only players who want to win, work as a team and improve their play should request to be added to the list. Just PM or post if you want to be added.
Syl3m

MLG Orlando 2010 Finals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BiGJtg1a_g

Reach v1 Triggers Down vs Carbon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xafxLEQ_fgM

Fizban140 on

• undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i'm pretty stoked that sc2 is now on the mlg circuit!

although sometimes the halo matches are pretty intense

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Glirk DientGlirk Dient Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That second video is awesome. Its really interesting to watch the pros use angles to shoot people and help their team mates. Great map control and movement. You can really see their team just sweep across the map. It's always fun watching aggressive teams.

EDIT: I am glad SC2 is on the circuit finally. It's a very competitive game and is a lot of fun to watch the top players pull some crazy moves.

Glirk Dient on
    XBL gamertag: GlurkDient
    Steam Username:Glirk_Dient
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    lol, I wonder how many pubs know what teamshot means.

belligerent on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ah, good to see Ghostayame hasn't changed since I played with him in H2.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd like to contribute by saying Don Draper would never play MLG.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    I think it is pretty interesting that MLG is trying to use the armor abilities, they could have some very interesting effects on gameplay. Although I think if they started with the abilities it would be pretty boring in that kind of competitive setting.

Fizban140 on
    edited September 2010
    In case your sick of ramboing around the map with an assault rifle and going -10 every game and blaming it on shitty gametypes, here is an amazing resource for articles that help you improve your gameplay.

http://www.mlgpro.com/getbetterfast/halo3/lessonfinder

It's pretty much all from halo 3, but the majority of things they cover carry over very well. It's a great resource for anyone and does a good job of going over tactics newer players wouldn't think even mattered. You will definately step your game up after reading through those.

Glirk Dient on
    edited September 2010
    chasm wrote: »
    Ah, good to see Ghostayame hasn't changed since I played with him in H2.
    Was he your friend or what?

Fizban140 on
    edited September 2010
    We were competitive at one point. He and I basically had the same playstyle...not a lot of kills, but we were good tactically (setting up the team, alerting the team to weapon respawns, etc). I usually went positive and he usually went negative. He challenged me to 1v1 on Midship after some sort of disagreement and he beat me 10-9 and that was the last time he and I played together.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    chasm wrote: »
    We were competitive at one point. He and I basically had the same playstyle...not a lot of kills, but we were good tactically (setting up the team, alerting the team to weapon respawns, etc). I usually went positive and he usually went negative. He challenged me to 1v1 on Midship after some sort of disagreement and he beat me 10-9 and that was the last time he and I played together.
    That is actually pretty cool, you still play competitively at all?

Seems like a lot of teams break up over disagreements though, I had a friend who was a pro player at one point but his team fell apart over some disagreement over a girl and some other ridiculous crap. That is what happens when a bunch of kids are on a team though, no matter for what.

Fizban140 on
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I think it is pretty interesting that MLG is trying to use the armor abilities, they could have some very interesting effects on gameplay. Although I think if they started with the abilities it would be pretty boring in that kind of competitive setting.

Hopefully it'll help. I hear they don't sell all their passes (as opposed to SC2 for example) when they run their tournaments.

They need more violence / eyecandy, something one shot one kills don't normally get.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    edited September 2010
    I think MLG needs more montages like this one

Crazy how dr pepper payed that guy tons of money just to make a montage for them. Turned out pretty sweet though. It's even more impressive when you realize that all of these clips they are facing some of the top players in the game.

Glirk Dient on
    edited September 2010
    Imagine that video with AR starts :P

Fizban140 on
    edited September 2010
    There was a guy who went by Peridious who consistently made insane montages. Nah, I don't play competitively anymore, but my protege does. I watched him go 15-7 against T2's team. And I've seen him go positive 80 against pubs in BTB.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    That is awesome, I have never done better than +30 in BTB, +80 is insane.

Fizban140 on
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That is awesome, I have never done better than +30 in BTB, +80 is insane.

I got a +65, but it was with the Scorpion, soooooooooooo....doesn't really "count" imo.

The only nice thing about it was the opposing team was a Party made up entirely of dudes named Saint (insert name here), so it was a premade.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    edited September 2010
    I gave up playing with him when he was trying to bounce sniper rifle shots off the ground to get headshots for his montage and he actually got four kills that way. I'm a decent player (usually a 2:1 kill ratio), but when I play with him, I literally go 2:1.

A Peridious montage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPswu65xzpM

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    Wow that was a really good montage, didn't recognize anyone besides ghost though. No BXR?

Fizban140 on
    edited September 2010
    Peridious wasn't an elite player at the time, but his editing skills were (are?) great. I've been out of the MLG scene so long that I only recognized Ghost and Ogre from that finals vid you posted. Probably why it struck me as odd that Ogre wasn't playing as a slayer...dood was a monster when I went up against him on Colossus in H2.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    Final Boss sort of fell apart and other teams really took the lead, one of the Ogres quit too.

Fizban140 on
    edited September 2010
    The ogre that quit is coming back as a scout for the DC event. He has been out of the game for over a year. I wonder how that will work out.

Glirk Dient on
    edited September 2010
    Should be interesting, it is also interesting how easily MLG picked up SC2. A lot has changed since SC:BW as far as mainstream competitive gaming, it is much bigger now.

Fizban140 on
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Planning on entering the Reach circuit with my cousins and a buddy of theirs when it hits MLG.

Now I just have to get good at MLG.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- :(

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
    edited September 2010
    Are they good? Those tournies are pretty competitive. I could probably throw together a 4 man team and we could practice some time, but none of us have played MLG Reach yet.

Fizban140 on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm a pretty competitive gamer, but I've never been interested in MLG for two reasons:

1) Every single member of the MLG community I've ever personally met or played against has been a complete douche. Don't take that personally, please. I don't mean it to be an insult at all -- I just want it known that the MLG community itself is the main reason I stay away.

I play a lot of Call of Duty with my friends, and our squad wins a lot of matches: I've personally got a 300+ legit win streak, because we take the game seriously and we play to win. We often roll teams with MLG tags, and they're some of the sorest losers I've ever come across in my life. There has literally never been a time when I've played against an MLG player and they haven't screamed into the microphone because they lost.

2) I often think that MLG rulesets for certain games create scenarios that simply aren't representative of actual gameplay. I've played Super Smash Bros Melee competitively for years, and I can understand the reasoning behind tournament legal stages, and why it's important to turn items off (Player A picks up a Pokeball and gets a useless Goldeen or something, while Player B picks up a second Pokeball and one-shot kills his opponent with a more powerful monster), but in other games, limiting what's available to players is simply boring.

Oftentimes in COD4 games, for example, the rules strip players down to just Stopping Power and Dead Silence. By taking away all other options, you stop actually playing the game. Players who train for those kinds of settings absolutely gimp themselves in general gameplay, which is why they often rage-quit matches or simply scream people down when they get their asses handed to them.

Just my 2c. I'd actually love to be a part of the MLG community; I just can't stand 99% of people who sport the tag. In fact, almost every single time I get an invite over Live to join a hacked lobby, the guy who sent me the invite has an MLG gamerpic. It's a real shame that the players themselves can ruin something that has the potential to be so cool.

milk ducks on
    edited September 2010
    I stay away from the CoD community as much as I can, I really think they are quite a bit worse than the Halo community. I will play customs with people from the MLG forums and it is always well mannered and people are giving tips and pointers and even some ggs. You even see some of that in the matchmaking in Halo 3 MLG playlist, but mostly everyone is in party chat.

I won't deny that there are assholes, but every league I have played in had its share of assholes and idiots.

I really don't think MW2 is a competitive game in its default state, just too much bullshit. I forget what MLG did to GoW2, removed the lancer, mortors and flamer which I fully agree with. They are just trying to make the game more skilled.

Now with Halo there are a few weapons they should consider using, like the grenade launcher, but I really can't think of any others that would add to that type of game.

Fizban140 on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Now with Halo there are a few weapons they should consider using, like the grenade launcher, but I really can't think of any others that would add to that type of game.

There's already a grenade launcher in Halo, and you can't stop talking about how much you hate it in the Halo thread.

DarkPrimus on
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    milk ducks wrote: »
    I play a lot of Call of Duty with my friends, and our squad wins a lot of matches: I've personally got a 300+ legit win streak, because we take the game seriously and we play to win. We often roll teams with MLG tags, and they're some of the sorest losers I've ever come across in my life.

Most people who use MLG tags aren't actually MLG players. In fact, I'm pretty sure most MLG players specifically avoid using such tags (at least in pub games) and often use secret names so they don't get hundreds of friend requests a day and every moron talking shit. What you're probably getting is the people who are douchebags who think putting a l33t tag in their alias makes them hardcore. You know what I mean?

(This part is a general statement not directed at you.) There's this stigma about competitive gaming that's always bothered me. Any time I see an article on any gaming news site/blog about a competitive gaming league or player, the comments tend to be almost uniformly negative. It's fine if some people aren't interested in it, but they're this ridiculous elitism of "I'm not nerdy enough to watch other people play video games!" that irks me tremendously. I enjoy watching sports; I enjoy watching competitive gaming. Sure, I enjoy playing those games (both physical and video) on my own, but I appreciate seeing what can be done by those who are better than myself.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I just realized something.

I agree with you - I enjoy watching sports, and I enjoy watching a good competitive game. I'll youtube some good fights in fighting games if Im bored, and I'll absolutely watch my friends and family play each other in things. There is a lot of skill involved in these things, and I enjoy seeing it play out in video games as well as real life.

So I was going to add that the reason I think I don't ever really watch any MLG, or even know anyone in it, is because THEY don't take it seriously. You said you hate that it isn't taken seriously -- but I really think that they bring it upon themselves. The main reason for this is the absolutely rediculous names everyone has. It makes sense and is accepted within the community, but for MLG to ever have an even remote chance of being looked at as something other than kids and people in thier parents basement, they need to stop calling each other HaXxOrZ and shit. Every advertisement Ive ever seen with someone from MLG in it has that horrible, grafitti-esque font, and is all edgy and the persons name is something spelled wrong and has numbers for letters and then it says "n00b" somewhere. I hate that, I could never sit and watch something like that and have my girlfriend near by and feel comfortable. THAT is why it's not taken seriously.

And then I realized something - you know the ONLY competitive video gaming I've ever been totally enthralled by? And the ONLY time my girlfriend, who plays almost nothing, wanted to watch someone play a video game?

King of Kong.

Because he's Steve Weibe. Hes a person with a real name. And Billy Mitchell. And they have families and they play hard and they use skills, and you see him drawing on the screen and you get a real apprecation for the effort and skill he has. But the main reason you even GET to the point where you see all that is because he doesn't immediately make you feel unfomfortable. He's not making fun of people, he's not hiding behind some online name, he's just a dude. There's no barrier, and no feeling of "I can't relate to this at all" because it's just a guy who is great at a game. Just like Derek Jeter is just a guy who is great at a game.

I get that because all of this stuff is online, everyone gets to know the gamertags and avatars first - but I really think if you ever want MLG to be taken at all seriously, once they hit a certian level, everyone needs to drop the bullshit and just be real people who are great at something, competing against each other.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The reasons I don't often play MLG are:

1: The community are dickbags. Maybe there's some good people in there, I don't know. But they're certainly quieter than the dickbags.

2: I think they go a bit too far in stripping Halo down. Sometimes I do want a slightly more tactical game with more teamplay. But I also want to use more weaponry than the BR / DMR. And the shields dynamic is a very deliberate and well thought out part of Halo play.

ben0207 on