As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MINECRAFT - Build to the sky, Dig to the depths. Join the masses.

• Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The comprehensive list of uses of brick in minecraft:
    • American Flags

Ein on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ein wrote: »
    The uses of brick in minecraft:
    • American Flags
    • The front facing of my bookstore.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Server migration's done. Hop in, let's see how this mother runs.

Ein on
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Zek wrote: »
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    Hey guys, check out what my first diamond ore looks like!
    noooooooo.png

That's right. Put your lewts in the chest before you start "cleaning" the stone away from the bedrock to see what shape the bedrock is in. Tools, several stacks of stone, and a good chunk of iron, gold and redstone went with my very first (6) diamond ore. Curse you, empty void, curse you!!
    It could just have easily been a hole into a lava pit anywhere else, always look before you leap.

Yeah, I suppose mining one's own feet is always bad form.

Red Raevyn on
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Brick is fucked for me - something about the Doku RPG pack makes it render as stone with 1/8th replaced by animated fire.

Actually, that's not stone. Doku's pack just makes the bricks the same gray color as clay. The fire is a problem with Minecraft itself. For some reason brick and gold blocks have that bug when they're using high-res textures. It won't be fixed until Notch fixes whatever part of the code is doing that.

Mars on
  • Options
    PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ein:

"Failed to connect to the server

Connection refused: connect"
    is not what I want to see after an awful shift! Make it go awaaaaaaaaay [/whine]

Read the last page!

I am migrating the server to better hardware and a better connection!

I'll have all the files downloaded within 3 minutes, according to Filezilla.

You best be!
    I totally skimmed the last few pages to try and catch up. I love you really

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    • American Flags

*Ahem*

porkzilla.jpg
    porkzillamouth.jpg

And yes, some maps have way more brick than others :}

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    • American Flags

*Ahem*

porkzilla.jpg
    porkzillamouth.jpg

A truly excellent use of brick, I salute you.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    • American Flags

*Ahem*

porkzilla.jpg
    porkzillamouth.jpg

Is that.... a pig spitting lava onto a creeper? Then you riding a minecart into the mouth of a flame breathing pig?

Epic to the max. You win.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Must have gotten missed when I posted it earlier: could I get a Steam Group invite? http://steamcommunity.com/id/Tynnan

Many thanks

Tynnan on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think I actually found clay on a world on my laptop: I spawned a new world, and immediately found probably a dozen clay pieces intermixed with the sand on the beach near where I spawned.

Aside from that strange irregularity, I've never run into clay. In fact, I wasn't quite sure what it was at first.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey guys, I've got a server running you're all more than welcome to enjoy :) Supports about 10 people and is running simpleserver. Come play wiff me!

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    speaking of servers: would anyone be willing to try to connect to mine? i'm trying to troubleshoot it and i think i might have fixed a problem with my router.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    I guess I have a few questions that I'm thinking 'no' is the answer to:
    1) can glass blocks be picked up after placing them?
    2) can I make a compass?
    3) can I rotate blocks? stairs and doors in particular.

http://minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Glass
    http://minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Compass
    http://minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Stairs
    http://minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Door

8-)

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If you want to build under water how do you keep the water out?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    I guess I have a few questions that I'm thinking 'no' is the answer to:
    1) can glass blocks be picked up after placing them?
    2) can I make a compass?
    3) can I rotate blocks? stairs and doors in particular.

1) Nope.
    2) Yep. 1 redstone, 4 iron, check the crafting wiki for the positioning.
    3) Nope, sometimes it's about where you are standing in relation to them, but stairs are finicky. Depends on the blocks around them.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    phew

after finding yet another promising cavern only to get blown away by a creeper that apparently spawned inside my own butt, i turned the difficulty to peaceful and spent an hour wandering around the damn countryside

after finding no mines, i started wildly shoveling away at my feet in a frothing rage

several minutes later, the earth gives way to a very deep hole that plonks me two squares away from a lava pool

after a lot of tiptoeing around and some really lucrative mining, i dig my way back to sunlight and use my newly made compass to trek back to my house, marking my way with torches as i went

i think i found four more promising caves, and a ridiculously cool natural structure: two near-parallel cliffs that fold like clasped arms around a lavafall, which practically screams "build Doom Fortress here"

i stashed away my goods and i'll probably start building again next

my house isn't very impressive but i'm really pleased with the surrounding environment, it's like my own little Valley of Lights

Rust on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is there a simple way to create a rideable, powered train?

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Make furnace, make mine-cart. Combine furnace with cart, get another cart. Power the automatic cart with coal while you ride in the cart in front of it.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I was thinking that (I'm trying to find a bit more iron to make the second cart)... but don't you have to face in the direction you want to go to start the powered cart? Or will there be enough time to jump in after you start it?

(thanks - just starting my crazy mining :))

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    WhiteSharkWhiteShark Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am so addicted to this game. So addicted. As in, I can barely force myself to eat because it means not playing minecraft. Help me...

Oh yeah, and steam group invite please: http://steamcommunity.com/id/whitezhark

WhiteShark on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think I actually found clay on a world on my laptop: I spawned a new world, and immediately found probably a dozen clay pieces intermixed with the sand on the beach near where I spawned.

Aside from that strange irregularity, I've never run into clay. In fact, I wasn't quite sure what it was at first.

For some reason, it's rather rare atm. Hang on to it for making bricks.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am too. I spent a good part of my day playing it. It's a game that has finally been able to take me away from Reach for awhile, which is good because it's just been making me angry lately anyway.

Also, question, do tools and weapons made with diamond last forever?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    anoffday wrote: »
    I am too. I spent a good part of my day playing it. It's a game that has finally been able to take me away from Reach for awhile, which is good because it's just been making me angry lately anyway.

no, not at all

they're just more resilient/stronger/whatever, and diamond pickaxes are the only picks that can mine obsidian

Rust on
  • Options
    WhiteSharkWhiteShark Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rust wrote: »

no, not at all

they're just more resilient/stronger/whatever, and diamond pickaxes are the only picks that can mine obsidian

Just out of curiosity, is it normal to just use diamond tools on everything as soon as you get them? I'm worried that my rate of diamond finding will be lower than my rate of tool breaking.

WhiteShark on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    WhiteShark wrote: »
    Rust wrote: »

no, not at all

Just out of curiosity, is it normal to just use diamond tools on everything as soon as you get them? I'm worried that my rate of diamond finding will be lower than my rate of tool breaking.

nah, most people just mass produce stone picks, its just easier

notch has been considering buffing the amount of uses diamond tools have, cause there really isn't a point to using them unless you have to

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    no

do NOT use diamond tools for everything, you will not find diamonds fast enough to cover your breakage rates

Diamond sword, yes, oh god yes

diamond pick for obsidian + occasional mining
    never for stone mining

and THAT'S ABOUT IT

Diamond picks and shovels go ungodly fast and last a while, but unless you have lots of surplus diamonds and don't care about wasting them, don't use them for general digging in rock or dirt/sand/gravel

Raneados on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    it would be better to have an intermediate between iron and diamond. that's a pretty huge leap.

i would also like it if it went wood, stone, copper, iron, and then maybe steel and then diamond.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I feel like diamonds should be super rare, but last a super long time if not forever. I haven't even seen any, though I just started today. I'm only about 5 or 6 hours into my game, and haven't done a whole lot of exploring besides under my personal anti-zombie fortress.

anoffday on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I found diamond a few days ago en masse, I think i had 8 or so, and lost it foolishly digging into a lava pool.

No matter HOW hard I have searched since then I have yet to find more. Its becoming frusterating.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I found diamond a few days ago en masse, I think i had 8 or so, and lost it foolishly digging into a lava pool.

No matter HOW hard I have searched since then I have yet to find more. Its becoming frusterating.

they're deeeeep in the earth

you have to get very lucky when mining to find a cave deep enough to hold them and live long enough to get them back home

Rust on
  • Options
    EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Does the game run faster with the offline client? I'm playing in chrome at the moment. Also, can I transfer saves to the client?

Estilo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Does anyone else feel half the fun of this game is checking out other people's creations? We need more pictures in this thread.

anoffday on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey, do any of those cartographers tools work under linux?

I found a pretty badass mountain for my castle, but creepers will do what they do, and I can't find my way back (it's a good distance from my spawn point).

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've had some success getting diamonds by just digging shafts straight down to bedrock (I have turned all of my forests into ladders, and I have no regrets) then just digging around horizontally down there, following lava when I inevitably run into it. I've definitely burned to death several times, but my death rate while exploring natural caves is hovering right around 100% so this seems to be the relatively safer option.

I still haven't been able to replace my diamond tools fast enough and I feel much better knowing that's normal. I just tear through even my steel tools with ridiculous speed... I've gone through about 50 iron on picks alone probably. Maybe I should just use stone picks, but man do they ever feel terrible after being spoiled by diamond goodness.

nescientist on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Holy shit. You guys weren't lying about the official forums being terrible.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    Holy shit. You guys weren't lying about the official forums being terrible.

And its not cause of his recent popularity either, those forums have always been a hive of idiocy. It's like if facepunch, gamefaqs, and the wow forums had a bastard child that got left in an orphanage that kept getting burnt down or something.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I've noticed that already. They're really, really bad.

Anyways, this is the huge hole in the ground that I found on my world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI3msqVbdAQ

It is all completely natural, save for the chiseled block here and there just to let me actually get down without falling to my death.

Oh, and that's only about 2/3 of the depth. I got zombie raped about 2:00 in, so I cut the video short, but I could probably add another minute at least if I went to the full depth of the cave that I know already. And I already know it goes even deeper than that.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    you could just set the difficulty to peaceful if you want to show it off

enemies disappear and your health auto-regens

Rust on
  • Options
    EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Do animals eat saplings after they're planted? Sometimes they disappear before growing into a tree ;_;

Estilo on
This discussion has been closed.