As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Formula 1 2010: Box Box. I mean patch patch!

• Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    brynstar wrote: »
    Does this have the customary crazy-awesome Codemasters main menu?
    Yep, all running on the engine. For most people it seems like its either a strong hate or a strong like for codemaster menus nowadays.

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DJ Cam Cam wrote: »
    brynstar wrote: »
    Does this have the customary crazy-awesome Codemasters main menu?
    Yep, all running on the engine. For most people it seems like its either a strong hate or a strong like for codemaster menus nowadays.

Awesome to hear, thanks!

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wish they included the safety car. I always thought it was cool that it's driving flat out.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I started up a career mode game in the Lotus; for the first race I figured I'd go with medium difficulty and just turn off some of the driving aids.

Yeah, that was silly - I won the race.

So for Melbourne I went ahead and moved it up to expert difficulty. Much better, as I qualified 17th and finished 18th. Qualifying was in the rain and I took a gamble on setup + tires and at first it looked like it was going to pay off...but toward the end of the session the rain tapered off and the track dried out and I was the only one who didn't make an attempt on slicks. Went from 6th to 17th.

Enjoying it so far. It's way, way easier than past F1 sims (Grand Prix series, EA F1 / ISI sims) that I've played.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A little disappointed at the handling model. Compared to Forza 3 the physics, feedback and general driving experience are lacking. I've got all the driving assists off and no matter how hard I try I can't lock the brakes. Very difficult to feel whether you're on the edge of grip, and spins feel a little off.

On the whole, though, enjoying it so far. Great to be able to drive some of the F1 tracks that you don't get in other games, particularly Spa. Taking Eau Rouge at full throttle is seriously good fun.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I found that I can only lock the breaks at lower speeds. I've heard some reasoning that because there is so much downforce at higher speeds you can stand on the break.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A little disappointed at the handling model. Compared to Forza 3 the physics, feedback and general driving experience are lacking. I've got all the driving assists off and no matter how hard I try I can't lock the brakes. Very difficult to feel whether you're on the edge of grip, and spins feel a little off.
    While I don't specifically play Forza, I came to post the same thing essentially.
    Though locking the brakes for me has been easy (a little to easy..). Playing on the PC with a G25 though, so something could be different there.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Apparently, some of the driving assists can stay active even when turned off (there's so many bugs in this game it's not funny).

Rook on
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, can't believe my F1 obsessed friend didn't even inform me about this! If I play on the Ferrari team do I have to let... *looks at first page* oh jokes already been made, carry on.

BladeX on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    If anything the spins are a little odd. Very little indication that the car is loosing grip, and even sometimes when the car starts to spin, putting it in opposite lock immediately seems to magically center the car.

That being said, I don't mind that the driving model isn't super sim. Since most of the tracks I don't know, I can spend time learning them rather than fighting the car all the time.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/28/wheel-life-f1-2010-ai-faked/

All in all though I am still enjoying this game a lot. I really haven't had that many issues with the carrer mode yet.

My save did corrupt for some reason the other day though, I wasn't that far into it though.

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There is a bug where if u do an R&D challenge and quit straight after it corrupts your save. There is a patch in the works.

There are some bugs in this game, but I am still totally hooked on it, its great fun and does a good job of making you feel like an F1 driver (especially with the wheel, Im totally immersed), its rewarding to learn a track and watch your laptimes fall and then really start to nail it.

Main issues for me are that sector 3 times don't seem to show up on the live timing boards, pit release guy holding you for to long when trying to leave the pits (don't know if this is the bug people are talking about, but in qually 3 no matter how fast u press leave pits your always sitting there waiting for 9 cars to pass) and that twice now I've been held up by cars leaving the pits while on a flying lap and tapping them, or spinning the car and someone no where near me tagging me (seriously, the AI can't avoid anything), and I get a 5 place grid drop, eesh.

Lastly achievements are not showing on Xbox.com, still! Edit - Oh wait, I think they just showed up! :)

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    battledrillbattledrill Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have heard about the pit lane issue. It is now a very common complaint. The AI will basically let everyone in the pit lane clear out before letting you go on ahead.

battledrill on

edited September 2010
    I've heard for the time being you can fix the pit lane thing by extending the race past the default 20% length. Either that or don't go into the pits when they ask you to.

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    DJ Cam Cam wrote: »
    I've heard for the time being you can fix the pit lane thing by extending the race past the default 20% length. Either that or don't go into the pits when they ask you to.

Sadly this doesn't work, apparently the lollipop man just sucks.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow, that RPS article is crazy. Faked AI? So bizarre after how solid the last few Codies racers have been.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Got bit by the memory wipe bug. And I was only 4 races in.

Game returned. But not for that. And it's not because I can't handle a more sim type game (which I think this seems pretty moderate), Race Pro is my favorite on consoles. I guess this just made me realize how not a fan I am of F1.

I'm a GT Class guy. Much rather race an ALMS, LMS, FIA GT, or even a WTCC car than a Formula One car. I do catch races occasionally, but not with the same fanatiscm that I show other racing series.

It's a solid game, really good at making you feel part of the championship series, and I'm sure Codies will be quick on a patch to fix the issues.

Just not my cup of tea.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Codies' response to the AI accusations. Sounds fair to me and frankly it hasn't impacted my enjoyment. I could do with the pitstop issue, the threat of the corrupted save and the lack of Sector 3 times on the timing screen being fixed, though.

Issues aside, I'm adoring the game. I reviewed it for Some Other Castle. TL;DR version: Easily the best F1 game since GP4, despite a handful of small (to me) issues. And I'm an F1 fan going back to the early '80s who's been playing F1 sim games since F1GP and considers the entire Crammond GP series one of the pinnacles of gaming.

I'm on the last race of my first season in Career mode, with Lotus. I've already accepted a contract to race alongside Alonso at Ferrari for my next season, so we'll see how that goes... ;)

Jazz on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jazz wrote: »
    Codies' response to the AI accusations. Sounds fair to me and frankly it hasn't impacted my enjoyment. I could do with the pitstop issue, the threat of the corrupted save and the lack of Sector 3 times on the timing screen being fixed, though.

Issues aside, I'm adoring the game. I reviewed it for Some Other Castle. TL;DR version: Easily the best F1 game since GP4, despite a handful of small (to me) issues. And I'm an F1 fan going back to the early '80s who's been playing F1 sim games since F1GP and considers the entire Crammond GP series one of the pinnacles of gaming.

I'm on the last race of my first season in Career mode, with Lotus. I've already accepted a contract to race alongside Alonso at Ferrari for my next season, so we'll see how that goes... ;)

I think we all know how that's going to turn out. :winky:

citizen059 on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Some of this might be due to (or possibly related to) Codemaster's CEO quitting and taking a good chunk of the staff that works on their racing games with him. IIRC, Codemasters was going to / is suing him over it.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »

I think we all know how that's going to turn out. :winky:

fernandoistraversingqui.jpg

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Every fricking time, every fricking time I'm doing so good in a race. A car comes out of the back and sideswipes the crap out of me. Oh yeah and it never fails, it's always Vettel. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

battledrill on

edited October 2010
    Every fricking time, every fricking time I'm doing so good in a race. A car comes out of the back and sideswipes the crap out of me. Oh yeah and it never fails, it's always Vettel. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!
    vettel.jpg

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    citizen059 wrote: »
    vettel.jpg

I LOL'd. That guy sucks! Im gonna hate on him in real life too because of these incidents.

battledrill on

edited October 2010

So the AI really behaves just like the real drivers D:

Leracas on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Leracas wrote: »

So the AI really behaves just like the real drivers D:

Not always. Fernando doesn't throw his toys out of his pram nearly enough.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I only had 2 laps left to a podium finish at Catalunya, and my front right tire gets a puncture.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmPLIhU9oCjuMLnChfK0U4_DokEAb4L71Vuboemfno-3D8plE&t=1&usg=__It7_UmWYlgegQ5tOlXK33xAxfac=

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just got this game this week for the Playstation 3. It can be brutal even on the easier difficulty settings. Which is kind of expected, but still, the F1 rules can really bite you in the ass hard because it seems like it is always you being blamed for collisions. The A.I. can be a bunch of dicks. I'm having a lot of fun though despite a few very frustrating moments and game breaking bugs.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Fiziks wrote: »
    I only had 2 laps left to a podium finish at Catalunya, and my front right tire gets a puncture.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmPLIhU9oCjuMLnChfK0U4_DokEAb4L71Vuboemfno-3D8plE&t=1&usg=__It7_UmWYlgegQ5tOlXK33xAxfac=

I believe for the press you want to say "thats racing" ;)

Catalunya I had to do lots of laps and setup changes to get things right, then rain came in final qually and I could only do a lap good enough for 6th (previously on for pole, just). Lost my front wing on lap one, pitted, got back up to eighth and was pretty happy with my effort, till I spun on the last lap in that final chicane! Down to 14th, gutted!

Now Monaco, not expecting much here, already down about 5 front wings in Practice 1 :P

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I think CNN got the right kind of picture here for the end of Suzuka.

Spoiler if you havn't watched the race yet this Sunday.
    53k1S.png
    I have to say that Suzuka is one of the hardest tracks on the game.

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Monaco's been kicking my ass lately. Fastest lap I've gotten is around 1:20, and that's after about 30 or so laps of practice.

Every time I go to play I think to myself, "Okay, going to take it easy and just learn the course," then get tired of posting awful times, which then causes me to push it, that ends up with a dozen or so broken front wings, and me ending the session by going flat out into the wall next to turn 1.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Monaco's been kicking my ass lately. Fastest lap I've gotten is around 1:20, and that's after about 30 or so laps of practice.

Every time I go to play I think to myself, "Okay, going to take it easy and just learn the course," then get tired of posting awful times, which then causes me to push it, that ends up with a dozen or so broken front wings, and me ending the session by going flat out into the wall next to turn 1.

Yea spinning out and getting your lap invalidates is the most infuriating thing. I can't imagine what it would be like to be a real F1 driver and push these machines close to the point of spinning out and more than likely damaging a million dollar machine.....D:

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yep - same technology. It's impressive stuff and I'm a bit envious of the guy in the forum post who got to try one out.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Any idea what the different throttle settings do?

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Exactly my story at Monaco, I never broke 1.20 in practice, after 50 or so laps, new wings every 5 or so, plenty of crashes in turn 1 and the final turn, got annoyed, qualified, just made it into Q2, "blocked" (spun and the ai hit me) and had a 5 place grid penalty, managed to scrape through Q2 and ended up 2nd + penalty (slight rain in Q3, just did as many laps as I could in the 10mins on drys). Had to restart the race cos I got F'ed off at the start (3 wide in turn 1, i was stuck in the middle, we all made it through with no touching!! Yet I still got a 10 second for blocking!!!!).

On the restart I took 1 place in turn 1, and another round the track, made the rest in the pits and finished second! I was very happy :) So don't give up, its possible, 3rd or 4th for turn one up the hill, 7th gear, down to 5th for the left hander at the top but straight back on the gas, then down to 4th for the right hander thats right after, down the small straight into 5th then 2nd for the right down to the hair pin, once i had that section nailed, the rest came to me. Very slow, like painfully slow through the last 2 corners and just red line every gear on the straight.

Also I set the car up to MAX downforce, highest ride hight, softest springs, etc etc, just maxed out for best handling.

Now Im at Istanbul and relearning how to drive a wide flowing track :P

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    From F1GP circa 1992 to F1 2010 now, getting those last two corners at Monaco right has always eluded me. The whole rest of the track, not a problem... but Rascasse and Anthony Noghes are where I can never get it just right, ever. A more evil pair (trio, if you like) of corners doesn't exist in the sport (IMO, natch).

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Aaaaand my save is corrupt. I guess thats it for me until the the patch is released and someone confirms it fixes this bug. Back to Dead Rising.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I felt bad when I started to feel like I wasn't playing this as much any more. Then I added it up and realized I've easily spent more than 40 hours with it (consider Career on Short Race Weekend and 20% distance is still a good hour per race), and I am still going back to it; still haven't got round to watching the Singapore or Japan races because the game was sucking up too much of my time! Been bitten by the AI-not-pitstopping bug a couple more times, but nothing worse, although I am actively remembering to use the workaround for the save bug rather than just accidentally doing so now.

Also, in real(-ish) F1, just owned the shit out of former Top Gear alum and F1 wannabe Tiff Needell on the Twittertron. IMO, anyway. Dude talks a surprising amount of shit.

TIFF: Oh, surprise, surprise there's talk of 'team tactics' now at both Red Bull and McLaren - how are all you Ferrari critics going to take that?

ME: At least it's not just halfway through the bloody season, and they're being open & honest about it instead of lying to viewers.

TIFF: (silence)

Jazz on