As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MJO]I don't even...

Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in MMO Extravaganza
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/65666

Someone make sense of this shit for me.

Who, in the developmental planning, said this was a good idea?

PSN: DignifiedPauper
3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
Dignified Pauper on

• ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I bet the final boss of the planet is Pedobear.

Like other Entropia planets, Planet Michael will have a free client but offer microtransaction features--some of which will also benefit charity, as Jackson would apparently want.

You know it's a bad sign when the journalists aren't even convinced.

Archonex on
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just want to know where this idea came from...

Achievement: The Not So White Glove.

Secret Character: Macally Culkin

Dignified Pauper on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    grim-michael.png

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Go forth and grope ten children. Bring me back vials of their confused tears.

Children molested: 0/10.

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh man. Seeing that picture makes me think a photoshop spoof of MJ Online would be the best thing.

I wonder what sort of bosses raids would take on?

Archonex on
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oookay...

All-aboard the train to Looneytown

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What. The. Nutballs.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is getting ridiculous. Look anonymous companies, I know WoW makes a lot of money. That doesn't mean making an MMO will net you millions of dollars.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Honestly, if they made a game like that old Arcade MJ game, they'd probably make more money. What they're going to do is waste hundreds of thousands on production costs and hope they can make it all back and more on micro transactions.

I mean take the Arcade MJ game and run with it, sell it for $20, and use micro-transactions to beef up that character in game. Join up with friends or random people and dish out some crotch-grabbing justice to those assholes kidnapping those children from your ranch.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • KazooKazoo Get in the van. I have candy.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    pardzh wrote: »
    Go forth and grope ten children. Bring me back vials of their confused tears.

Children molested: 0/10.

LOL

Kazoo on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh another Entropia "game". I use quotation marks because Entropia is high on shiny graphics and cash shop scams and low on actual fun activities.

Lemme dig up the description I made some time ago:

Entropia Universe
    in game currency<-->RL money system
    This game tries to market itself as a sort of reality 2.0, but without a crazy AI trying to kill you. No idea what the fun in this game would be, but it had a turnover of 360$M in 2006. They also took a license on the CRY-engine 2. The point seems to be that you live a second life (get it?) and you invest real life money into it and try to make profit by selling your products to other players/business partners.

Planet Calypso
    in game currency<-->RL money system
    Uses the same engine and business model as Entropia Universe. This time you get to launder your money on an alien planet.

I don't think I've met anyone who has gotten any form of enjoyment out of this stuff.

Aldo on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ah, Entropia. The "game" that brought us the noble profession of sweat gathering.

citizen059 on
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Achievement: The Not So White Glove :\

Dignified Pauper on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I refuse to acknowledge this as a part of reality. Even if it is real, it will never be released so might as well start forgetting about it now.

...What would you even do in this game? What kind of loser even wants to play it?

No! I must forget it exsists. I can't spend a second more of my precious life contemplating this.
    Fuck it, I'm pre-ordering this.

Caveman Paws on
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, the people who decided to invest money in this must be reaaaaaally clueless as to what the MMO market/industry is like. My mind is doing backflips trying to figure out who the hell they would market this to.

Operative21 on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    We need to put APB's head on a pike and stick it in our front lawn as a warning to other companies with more money than sense.
    I can't begin to say how tasteless this is.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Best AmericaBest America __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    I was in the Project Entropia closed beta! It was so exciting, they actually sent me a real disc from Sweden or Finland or one of those Scandinavian messes. Gosh that was like a decade ago though, I think.

I haven't played Entropia in about as long and it startles and upsets me it's still around. At the time I was involved, it was a barren and hideously ugly wasteland where individual items of non-standard cosmetic clothing for my character cost $4-6 USD per piece and were worn in deference to armor, making it a poor system for everyone that wasn't just gonna sit around in town. :/

I tried the 'prospecting' which involved buying probes and hoping that you were near enough to a random node that you were then able to extract it. There was a kind of addicting novelty to it, where each probe -- consumable items -- had each literally cost me a few cents but there remained the possibility that if I grinded this skill high enough, I could eventually make a few more cents than I put into it!

But fortunately I caught on to how terrifying tying skill progression (as well as randomness, both in your finds + the randomness of the skill gains) to purchasable items is and how rather unlikely it was that I would come out anywhere near ahead. They published lists daily of who the most successful prospectors and hunters were and how many credits they had made though, which was a kind of tantalizing bait. MindArk know, if nothing else, how to completely fucking steal money from people.

Though it will be interesting to how we'll be nickel-and-dimed on Planet Michael. o_O

Best America on
    right you got it
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was in the Project Entropia closed beta! It was so exciting, they actually sent me a real disc from Sweden or Finland or one of those Scandinavian messes. Gosh that was like a decade ago though, I think.

The lottery is a tax on stupidity.

I was also in the Project Entropia beta oh so long ago. They got 10 bucks from me. I helped them test out their money system. Bought a few probes etc. Didn't get anything back. I think that's the last time I gambled. It's a lottery that requires time investment as well as money.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Archonex wrote: »
    I bet the final boss of the planet is Pedobear.

Like other Entropia planets, Planet Michael will have a free client but offer microtransaction features--some of which will also benefit charity, as Jackson would apparently want.

You know it's a bad sign when the journalists aren't even convinced.

The idea of some of this benefiting charity is a really good idea. The actuality of it, who knows. In what way does it benefit charity? 10% of X item(s) go to Y charity? Charity themed items to more or less advertise to charities?

KurnDerak on
  • JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ohhh... the beta.
    I too have that disc somewhere.
    Some fun facts about Entropia - back in the beta.

Mobs that took damage would aggro whatever caused the damage.
    Mobs in that game actually aimed. They did not effectively "tab target" you, but instead fired a semi-hit scan weapon towards your character, with varying degrees of accuracy, and they would actually lead the target - This meant that, for example, you could weave in and out behind a tree to dodge enemy fire... or, use this next fact...
    Mobs could hit other mobs.
    And weave in and out behind say, a Killer Robot Mk2, whilst firing at Killer Robot Mk1. When Mk1 went to fire at you, and instead hit Mk2, hilarity would ensue. Then, you loot the Mk1. And hell, since the Mk2 was down to almost no HP, you shoot it once or twice, and loot it too.
    Now, normally combat cost money, as ammo wasn't free, and the gun deteriorated with each shot. But when the mobs do the shooting for you, it was actually profitable.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device