As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA X: Captain Guillotine: Fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Can I make someone change their avatar now too?
    Only if you have your own to offer up.

I have a few suggestions.
    1285477459.jpg

crocopface.png

D:

ufcboring.png

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    facetious wrote: »
    I'll never understand the Bisping hate.

Don't try to explain it, either.

Well I did, pages and pages ago:
    I am no Bisping fan, but as a Brit I do think he gets way too much hate. He is a top 15 at best gatekeeper who is well rounded but lacks any kind of power or submission skills that I have seen baring TKO's that are mostly his cardio > there's.

His douche moments for me were after the Hamill fight (he apologized, Hamill forgave him) and moments on TUF 9 which lets face it, it's reality TV. My issue is 2 fold:

1. People talk shit about him, usually in order to gain some kind of fan favor (ala Cote who is bordering on irrelevant) as they know he is a draw due to being so...polarizing, when he retaliates it's HIM that's labeled a shit talker.

2. Any moments of class are ignored, like after the Kang fight, after the Miller fight (and during) or before the Wand fight when it was Silva talking shit.

I get that he is annoying, he trys to come off like he doesn't care what people think but he clearly does (this is where Sonnen shines, they guy just does not give a fuck) but the man earns my respect for never turning down a fight or ducking an opponent, even after Hendo blew his jaw up with Dynamite he still wanted Wand straight after (he got Kang but was asking for Wand first).

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'll never understand the Bisping hate.

Don't try to explain it, either.

ac91a8ab22f9113572dc405679e1cffb.jpg

That's Sherdog level posting right there, congrats.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow, Crocop looked bad.

But, Mir almost looked worse despite the win. Bad main event

At least I had a parlay on Bader and Guillard, which paid nicely

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How in the hell did Mitrione and Beltran get fight of the night?

I liked the fight and all, but Sherk vs Dunham was easily the superior fight.

Edit: Nevermind, now I am reading that Sherk & Dunahm also got a fight of the night bonus.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    KaeKae Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    How in the hell did Mitrione and Beltran get fight of the night?

I liked the fight and all, but Sherk vs Dunham was easily the superior fight.

Dana awarded two fights of the night. Sherk vs Dunham was the other one.

And, yes, it was perhaps the worst card I've seen since I've started watching UFC. Very few of the fighters seemed to want to finish it. They were content to dance around each other exchanging token punches, and lay'n'praying on the fence. For at least two of the fights, I had no real idea how the judges scored it, because that was all that happened.

Basically, I'm glad that I only paid for a $9 hamburger to watch that PPV at a sports' bar.

Kae on
    LOTRO: Main: Merewin, Filthy Alt: Melilotte

PSN: GetMediaeval
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    Can I make someone change their avatar now too?
    Only if you have your own to offer up.

I have a few suggestions.
    1285477459.jpg

crocopface.png

D:

ufcboring.png

Is there a way to make that avatar animated and just put a big red X over Cro Cop's face?

Also to Venkman, I needed a laugh last night after that awful card. That picture is hilarious, Sherdog-ian or not, I still stand by my posting decision

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I haven't watched the fight yet and don't know any of the results

but

8-)

adytum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    MMA Junkie article on Sean McCorkle.
    MMA Junkie wrote:
    After years of doing battle on a keyboard as much as inside a cage, things got very real for Sean McCorkle (9-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) this week.

The Indianapolis-based heavyweight caught up with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) on the way to pick up his son, who he wanted to take along as producers filmed him throwing punches in misty air with UFC gloves. (The clip will play before he makes his walk to the octagon.)

He is no longer just a guy on the Internet. He is fighting in the UFC.

"It actually hit me Tuesday because I had to check in to my hotel, and I actually sat there and talked to Mark Hunt for about 10 minutes," said McCorkle, who meets Hunt in the opening bout of UFC 119 at Indianapolis' Conseco Fieldhouse. "It hit me I'm actually going to fight him."

The 6-foot-7 McCorkle is a bigger version of countless fighters who've toiled on the regional circuit in hopes of a shot in the big show. But he's stood out from the pack by wholeheartedly embracing the dog-eat-dog word of one Internet forum, mainly the boards of MixedMartialArts.com's "The Underground," where some of the sport's most passionate fans gather to debate and deride each other.

A whole lot of industry professionals keep close tabs on these boards, and that could be what got McCorkle a four-fight UFC contract and a fight Saturday against Hunt, an iron-headed PRIDE and K-1 veteran who's faced some of the most dangerous men in the planet. It also could be his 9-0 professional record – or his draw as a local fighter.

It almost didn't happen. A super heavyweight, McCorkle was used to fighting at 300-plus pounds, a weight that made it difficult to keep busy on the regional circuit. He was 320 pounds when his manager, Monte Cox, called in the middle of the night and asked if he could talk.

"I was actually over at the girl's house that I was dating," he remembered. "To be brutally honest, I was a little bit tipsy because I had a little bit to drink that night – and by tipsy, I mean completely drunk.

"He asked me if I could make 265 in three months. I said I could make it in one month if the money's right. He said, 'Well, do you want to fight in the UFC when it comes to Indianapolis in September?' When I tried to clear my head and realized I wasn't dreaming, I said, 'Monte, I don't know. It would depend on the money.'"

Most up-and-coming fighters would balk at that statement; a UFC contract is, after all, the holy grail for pretty much every fighter in the business. But McCorkle had been around the block a few times – dozens of times on the Internet – and he wanted the circumstances to be right.

"He was kind of shocked a little bit when I said that," McCorkle said of Cox's reaction. "I'm not interested in fighting the best guys in the world for $3,000 to show and $3,000 to win. If that's what the offer is, sorry. I'll probably pass."

Cox said it would be "considerably" more than that. McCorkle had another stipulation as well. With no opponent on the table, he wanted some say in whom he fought.

"I want to let them know that I don't have any problem turning down bad opponents, like me fighting the loser of (Shane) Carwin and (Brock) Lesnar for $8,000. I wasn't interested in being used to build someone else up. Not that they would to that to me, but I was just pretty wise to that from the beginning."

He told Cox to give him an hour to think about it. He wobbled to the bathroom and weighed himself – he hadn't been 265 pounds since he was 18 years old – and called back to take the deal.

"The next morning I was like, 'Man, did I make a mistake?'" he said.

McCorkle was nervous he'd get to 285 pounds and discover he couldn't get any smaller. The weight cut would be the hardest part. The second hardest part would be keeping his mouth shut on the Internet.

Every time someone asked him about his next fight, he spat, "I can't talk about it." Of course, that drove frenzied speculation among his keyboard brethren, and before he knew it, word had leaked he had a UFC deal in pocket. He told only his 9-year-old son, who asked if he'd be on the UFC video game. But until the promotion announced it, he was under a gag order.

"It was absolutely excruciating," McCorkle said.

Eventually, things worked themselves out. He hired a former bodybuilder to manage an extremely strict diet and workout regimen, and the weight began to shed.

He's now hovering just above the 265-pound weight limit and thinks he might be able to get down to 230 pounds in future fights.

He has no illusions about how he'll approach Saturday's fight.

"I'm a 2-to-1 underdog, and I guess that's just from no one knowing who I am," he said. "But I would be absolutely shocked if I didn't win this fight.

"In my history of fighting and everything I've watched, a really good striker with a really good ground guy is a bad matchup for the striker, especially when the ground guy is bigger and stronger than him. I can pretty much get anyone on the ground in the world if I don't care what position we end up in. It's not that hard to tackle somebody."

Hunt has not fought since May 2009, when he was submitted by former Strikeforce light-heavyweight champion Gegard Mousasi in DREAM, though he, too, has undergone a remarkable physical transformation after tipping the scales in the high 200s. Still, he has not won an MMA fight since May 2006.

Despite his apparent advantage on paper, McCorkle admits he's nervous about fighting in front of his family and friends; he doesn't want to be the one who asks "what happened?" as his training partners crowd around him.

But he already has a strategy to deal with Internet critics if he loses.

"I've been saying forever that if I was in shape and motivated, there weren't more than 10 men in the world who could beat me," he said. "If I lose, I'm going to say, 'Well, obviously there were 11. I forgot him in the count.'"
    I love this guy.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mccorkle looked visibly upset at damaging hunt.

I'm kinda new to those whole ufc thing but I could not understand the ref decisions for sherk and guillard.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Louie wrote: »
    Mccorkle looked visibly upset at damaging hunt.

I'm kinda new to those whole ufc thing but I could not understand the ref decisions for sherk and guillard.
    Sometimes the refs get it wrong.

You'll hear and see Dana's catchphrase a lot if you're watching this season of TUF.

"Never leave it in the hands of the judges"

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I saw the first episode and the teaser for next week has me tuning in for sure.

Koschek attacks some fat dude and another guy takes a huge uppercut by a pool, looks fun.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    bad news for you

that was what all will happen this season

not the next episode

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    If anyone is interested, all the results except for Snarfmaster vs. Mercy are tallied and updated on the 1st page. All but 2 of the next bracket matchups are posted as well! I'll have the complete post up after I'm done watching the fight.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Adytum, Star got 62 points...not 7.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Star, Zzulu, what's the difference?

Fixed and updated. :)

adytum on
  • Options
    StarStar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    Star, Zzulu, what's the difference?

Fixed and updated. :)

The difference is that I'm way cooler, clearly.

Also, thank you.

Star on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    How are we doing picks for WEC?

They have Bellator fights mixed in on MMAPlayground.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It says that, but all of the fights listed here are from WEC 51. Am I missing something? It says 12 fights max and it looks like the 11 listed fights are all from WEC 51.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I didn't actually check.

Ok then.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    If anyone is interested, all the results except for Snarfmaster vs. Mercy are tallied and updated on the 1st page. All but 2 of the next bracket matchups are posted as well! I'll have the complete post up after I'm done watching the fight.

I have a question, the elimination bracket on that first page post states:

Next bout: 09/30/2010 @ WEC 51

Star (1-0) vs. TehSpectre (1-0)
    ChillyWilly (0-1) vs. Metal Jared (0-1)

Do me and ChillyWilly need to see who the absolute worst prognosticator in the thread is? I'm kinda confused.w

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Exactly 8-)

It was the only way to get everyone 3 fights.

adytum on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Immunizing yourself from knees by putting 1 finger on the mat is such bullshit.

This is like a day late, but I just finished watching the fights.

Also, I still have no idea how I did this round, but I don't think I did well. :(

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    How can you tell Guillard not to be confident? That’s like telling him not to be black. - Joe Rogan

:rotate:

adytum on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I didn't realise the WEC event is on Thursday.

Awesome. I'll be able to watch it live!

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    How can you tell Guillard not to be confident? That’s like telling him not to be black. - Joe Rogan

:rotate:

That might have been the Rogan quote of the night. Either that or saying "At least this fight (Mir/Cro Cop) is over ine 2 minutes"

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What the fuck did we do to deserve either of those events yesterday?

815165 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    3 of the fights weren't great.

Those aside, it was a decent card.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I thought Sherk Dunham was decent, wrong call at the end though but Sherk's a decent guy and gave credit to Dunham.

But yeah, I think 120 might be much better, not in terms of names but then look at the names on 112 (awful card in the end) and look at the names on 95 which was seen as a shit card beforehand and turned into one of the best of last year.

Hathaway Pyle, Hardy Condit (both good fights on paper) and with Sass on the prelims I want to see if he can keep his sub record...

It's not going to be as good as 95 but it should be much much better than 119.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Bullshit on Sherk winning the decision.

It was a great fight though.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Too many fighters dancing and not actually fighting. That's the problem. I don't care if I see a 15 minute Jiu-Jitsu match as long as both fighters (or at least one fighter) is working and trying to accomplish something. The fighters were trying not to get knocked out which makes for a bad card

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Too many fighters dancing and not actually fighting. That's the problem. I don't care if I see a 15 minute Jiu-Jitsu match as long as both fighters (or at least one fighter) is working and trying to accomplish something. The fighters were trying not to get knocked out which makes for a bad card
    Once again, I believe that 7 of the 10 fights did not have that.

So it wasn't as bad as people say.

The problem was that we got 2 bad fights in a row, which is no fun.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010

The cage being huge doesn't help this, too many people doing the Dominic Cruz/Frankie Edgar style of striking now.

815165 on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yes gods forbid fighters try to win! And not take unnecessary risks!

Also, Edgar and Cruz are both entertaining.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited September 2010

The problem is the only effective counter to the flashy footwork jab and run is faster jab and run. :(

edit: i could understand it in a real sport, but not one supported by PPV buys

815165 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I understand that fighters want to win. That's great, however they should understand that if the sport becomes shitty (Like boxing is in my opinion) it will limit their ability to make a living. MMA is ENTERTAINMENT Lay and Pray fighters and fighters who never engage are boring to most of the fight watching public (as seen in the myriad of booing last night of course some of the boos were for the shitty judges).

MMA in general and the UFC specifically need exciting fights that the 'average' MMA fan can enjoy. If you promote Mir/Cro Cop as the big show in this event and they put together that snoozefest that's bad for the sport. I know that usually the undercard is better than the main event(s) but still they did all the stuff to get people excited about Lil'Nog/Bader and Mir/Cro Cop when those fights suck that's a problem

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like Edgar and Cruz, but it'd sure be nice to see people trying to finish instead of being content to out-point the other guy.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh god. Oh god.

I nailed the Mir / Mirko fight.

Oh god Mirko.

adytum on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    What the fuck did we do to deserve either of those events yesterday?

WEC's on Thursday. Gotta finish your vegetables before you get dessert.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Penny Arcade Fight Club Round 2 (PAFCR2)

Bout 3 Results
    09/25/2010 @ UFC 119

Winners Bracket

Barbatus (2-0) (42) vs. facetious / Chagrin (1-1) (28)
    SweeneyTom (1-1) (37) vs. Spectrum (2-0) (55)
    A Half Eaten Oreo / half_eaten_oreo (1-1) (42) vs. B:L (2-0) (45)
    Snarfmaster (2-0) (50) vs. MayGodHaveMercy / Mercy_XXVI (1-1) (36)

Losers Bracket

815165 (1-1) (45) vs. Peen / Tw1tch (0-2) (32)
    Zzulu (0-2) (7) vs. sportzboytjw (1-1) (58)
    adytum (1-1) (65) vs. doug_grammar / chokehead (0-2) (20)
    Organichu (1-1) (45) vs. moleface (0-2) (42)

Elimination Bracket

Star (1-0) (62) vs. ChillyWilly (0-1) (51)
    Metal Jared (0-1) (22) vs. TehSpectre (1-0) (51)

Bout 4 Matchups
    9/30/2010 @ WEC 51

Losers Bracket

MayGodHaveMercy / Mercy_XXVI (1-1) vs. 815165 (1-1)
    A Half Eaten Oreo / half_eaten_oreo (1-1) vs. sportzboytjw (1-1)
    SweeneyTom (1-1) vs. adytum (1-1)
    facetious / Chagrin (1-1) vs. Organichu (1-1)

Elimination Bracket

The Winners Bracket
    http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=373166
    Next bout: 10/16/2010 @ UFC 120

Barbatus (2-0) vs. Spectrum (2-0)
    B:L (2-0) vs. Snarfmaster (2-0)

The Losers Bracket
    http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=373166&tclass=Losers

MayGodHaveMercy / Mercy_XXVI (1-1) vs. 815165 (1-1)
    A Half Eaten Oreo / half_eaten_oreo (1-1) vs. sportzboytjw (1-1)
    SweeneyTom (1-1) vs. adytum (1-1)
    facetious / Chagrin (1-1) vs. Organichu (1-1)

The Elimination Bracket
    http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=373166&tclass=Elimination

adytum on