As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mortal Kombat HD Kollection

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Tommatt wrote: »
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Lingxor wrote: »
    It would be nice if there was a move list on the character select screen kinda like the super arts from Street Fighter 3.

I think this would make the game a lot more accessible for people not as familiar with the games especially since the move inputs aren't nearly as universal as the SF series...

The move inputs became the universal fireball, dragon punch, whatever motions once the series hit 3D.

I remember it going all tekken on us

In either case, they said in one of the videos that MK9 has moves with the old inputs. I.E. lots of forward, forward and back, back.

TheSonicRetard on
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Lingxor wrote: »
    It would be nice if there was a move list on the character select screen kinda like the super arts from Street Fighter 3.

I think this would make the game a lot more accessible for people not as familiar with the games especially since the move inputs aren't nearly as universal as the SF series...

The move inputs became the universal fireball, dragon punch, whatever motions once the series hit 3D.

I remember it going all tekken on us

In either case, they said in one of the videos that MK9 has moves with the old inputs. I.E. lots of forward, forward and back, back.

Not only did it make it different, I really though the old controls felt like MK. Now, then again, I grew up with MK1, MK2 etc... so maybe that had something to do with it. But bbHP felt right for the spear. For MK, the motions felt right for some reason.

Tommatt on
  • Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    bwanie wrote: »
    This is my thread. It was made for 14 year old me.

does anyone remember the 1.0 - 1.1 versions of MKII? They were so bugged in regards to fatalities.

bets part? some bugs even transferred to the SNES version. (although the triple decapitation never made it)

Didn't that stay in in the genesis version?

If you're talking about Johnny Cage's triple, I used to do that on my PAL SNES.

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Raybies666 wrote: »

does anyone remember the 1.0 - 1.1 versions of MKII? They were so bugged in regards to fatalities.

bets part? some bugs even transferred to the SNES version. (although the triple decapitation never made it)

Johnny Cage's triple decapitation is not a bug, it is in there on purpose to poke fun at the actual bug found in MK1 where Cage could perform a double decapitation.

In other news.... UK and US retailer listings have been popping up pegging MK HD Arcade Kollection with a November 2010 release on PS3. No mention Xbox360 anywheres. Perhaps a timed exclusive?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Johnny Cage's triple decapitation is not a bug, it is in there on purpose to poke fun at the actual bug found in MK1 where Cage could perform a double decapitation.

In other news.... UK and US retailer listings have been popping up pegging MK HD Arcade Kollection with a November 2010 release on PS3. No mention Xbox360 anywheres. Perhaps a timed exclusive?
    About the decapitation, it looks like three might be possible with inhuman timing, as shown later in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LHK8lurweQ&feature=fvw

Granted, it could be fake (I kind of doubt it, though). I could only pull off two decapitations and that's all I remember seeing, but if the game was slowed down or the inputs were pre-programmed (or if someone was just really good hahaha) then I could see it happening.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, all I remember about MK was owning a Genesis copy of MK2 and getting Pong Kombat a couple times

I think you got it by winning the arcade mode and getting to some screen where it's like "SELECT YOUR PRIZE" or something, I can't really remember

Once I memorized where it was, I always picked Pong Kombat, because putting a game inside another game was the coolest thing ever to my seven year old self

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Man, all I remember about MK was owning a Genesis copy of MK2 and getting Pong Kombat a couple times

I think you got it by winning the arcade mode and getting to some screen where it's like "SELECT YOUR PRIZE" or something, I can't really remember

Once I memorized where it was, I always picked Pong Kombat, because putting a game inside another game was the coolest thing ever to my seven year old self
    Mortal Kombat 2 on Genesis is great, and even funnier with the Game Genie code "CCMA-BE76". Love playing that game! Someone even made a cool hack of it (Mortal Kombat II Unlimited) that added a combo system, levels from MK1, and added Shao Kahn, Kintaro, Smoke, Jade, and Noob Saibot to the playable roster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U8_hVcz9UI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfnMjTRH8yc

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I really miss old MK now. It was something else.
    (Also, I remember that 'Fire' song is from DDR Disney Mix. :lol:)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

About the decapitation, it looks like three might be possible with inhuman timing, as shown later in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LHK8lurweQ&feature=fvw

Granted, it could be fake (I kind of doubt it, though). I could only pull off two decapitations and that's all I remember seeing, but if the game was slowed down or the inputs were pre-programmed (or if someone was just really good hahaha) then I could see it happening.

That is how you get people to pop in quarters. I remember the cabinent for it in arcades now. Listing off everybodys name with their bio, etc....

Tommatt on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They should have made the decapitation plus shadow kick an actual fatality. That was pretty good.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    They should have made the decapitation plus shadow kick an actual fatality. That was pretty good.

That would have been bad ass to pull off in the arcades back in the day.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I really miss old MK now. It was something else.
    (Also, I remember that 'Fire' song is from DDR Disney Mix. :lol:)

I'll bet whoever made that video knew 'Fire' from this.

CowShark on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=84363

Gamestop has preorders up.

I would laugh if it's just the hi res collection of the PS2 3D Mortal kombats.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, because that would make sense with a name like Arcade Kollection

UnbreakableVow on
    edited September 2010
    It's one of the possibilities I can think of on why it's reportedly PS3 only. Like, maybe one of those PS2 remastered collections?

http://www.trmk.org/news/13181/you_can_now_preorder_mortal_kombat_hd_collection_at_gamestop.html

Though I guess the PS2 mortal kombats got Oxbox ports didn't they?

Antihippy on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They're not even "PS2 Mortal Kombats"

They hit the systems day and date

UnbreakableVow on
    edited September 2010
    I'm just thinking it's a weird move if they make it PS3 only and it's not one of those PS2 HD remastered collections.

Then again, it's all speculation now so I'll just wait and see. :P

Antihippy on
  • InexactQuotientInexactQuotient Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=84363

Gamestop has preorders up.

I would laugh if it's just the hi res collection of the PS2 3D Mortal kombats.

I'd still buy it.

EDIT: Especially if they put Shaolin Monks on there - I would love an HD version of SM on 360. It's really the only game I felt robbed on the lack of backwards compatibility.

InexactQuotient on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I could understand it being PS3 only if they're taking advantage of the hdd install. Not all Xbox users have a big enough hard drive for that, and no one wants load times for Shang Tsung.

Gorilla Salad on
    edited September 2010
    Boxart HOOOOOOOooooooooooo!!

ps3hd.jpg

I was too lazy to crop. Interesting to note that 3D logo, I wonder how that will look... probably a bit like cardboard cutouts, I suppose. Also, nice to see that UMK3 rather than vanilla MK3 will be in the package.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    what is up with hideous boxart for compilation titles seriously

Zxerol on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So still nary a screenshot eh? Hmm.

Halfmex on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is seriously PS3 only?

Ah well, my roommate serves his purpose once again.

Also, I kinda like the MK boxart, but I'll agree it's not very.. eye-grabbing.

Undead Scottsman on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like that it shows the original cabinets, Johnny Cage sidebar and all.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, though the given name, "Mortal Kombat HD Arcade Collection," leaves me to wonder why MK4 would be left out. I mean, it's the only other arcade game there is, and there's probably not a lot they can do with it by itself.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't think anyone wants to remember that MK4 happened.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like the box art.

Except for that PS3 logo.

Sir Carcass on
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, though the given name, "Mortal Kombat HD Arcade Collection," leaves me to wonder why MK4 would be left out. I mean, it's the only other arcade game there is, and there's probably not a lot they can do with it by itself.

The arcade version was even worse than the home version(s). I don't think anyone is itching to get their hands on it.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited September 2010
    I like the emphasis on the Arcade and the cabinets on the cover. It just feels... more nostalgic I guess.

Capt Howdy on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I guess this whole 'We're reshooting actors for HD' thing never was?

Damn.

Linespider5 on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Damn.

That's all I was sold on. If that isn't happening this is getting skipped in lieu of the new MK.

chamberlain on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Damn.

Where did you hear this

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited September 2010

Damn.

Where did you hear this

Yeah I'm really at a loss as to where you got this information. No one, anywhere, ever, said that actors weren't being "reshot" for HD.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Damn.

Where did you hear this

Yeah I'm really at a loss as to where you got this information. No one, anywhere, ever, said that actors weren't being "reshot" for HD.

maybe he didn't see the "HD" part of that box?

TheSonicRetard on
  • HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Some dude named Tim static on srk who seems to know alot about what is happening with MK is claiming that they will be downloadable on the 360. i guess its retail on the ps3 because of the 3d then?

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    snip

You can't post that without posting

Jax's Ending

Turkey on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why is there seemingly no information out there about these games other than the fact that they exist and are being released soon?

I feel like I need to be hella suspicious but I don't know what of

BloodySloth on
    edited December 2010
    Searching for anything new about this almost makes you think it's not really happening.

Capt Howdy on
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also, it's been floated out that the PS3 exclusivity may be because of the 3d functionality. That's kinda bullshit because who the fuck buys a collection of old Mortal Kombat games just because they're 3d?

Of course, Sony's got a track record now of working with WB/NetherRealm to get exclusive content, so maybe that's the case.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Woodroez wrote: »
    Also, it's been floated out that the PS3 exclusivity may be because of the 3d functionality. That's kinda bullshit because who the fuck buys a collection of old Mortal Kombat games just because they're 3d?

Of course, Sony's got a track record now of working with WB/NetherRealm to get exclusive content, so maybe that's the case.

Kratos is going to appear in all previous Mortal Kombat games to make sure him being in the new game is canon.

chamberlain on