As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MINECRAFT - Build to the sky, Dig to the depths. Join the masses.

• TibberlyTibberly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Please to be invited to the Steam group? (profile here)

I'd like to be able to keep visiting these tasty, tasty servers. I'm not a forum regular, though, so if you deny admittance I'll totally understand.

Tibberly on
  • Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    Currently collecting various materials to make A Cool Thing, but I need to know roughly how tall the player is. In meters, if possible!

Each block is 1m3, and the player is 1.7m tall.

Slayer of Dreams on
    Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    With the recent success Notch has had, is anyone else wondering when we'll hear an announcement about him getting hired at some dev company? Like, say, Valve? I wouldn't mind seeing the two join forces to finish this. It could be a good launching point for Valve to get into browser-based and open-world gaming. Not sure how the former would work with Steam, though. Besides, I'm not sure if Notch would be willing to take the pay cut :P.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd mind. I'd mind like a motherfucker. I highly doubt Valve would keep developing in Java, which means no more minecraft for me.

In other news, turns out there is a linux version of Cartographer - turns out that castle is like two continents away. Hrm.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I still can't believe this is an ALPHA.

I really think he'll just add like 2 or 3 more things and then cal it "finished" to move on to other things.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bullio wrote: »
    With the recent success Notch has had, is anyone else wondering when we'll hear an announcement about him getting hired at some dev company? Like, say, Valve? I wouldn't mind seeing the two join forces to finish this. It could be a good launching point for Valve to get into browser-based and open-world gaming. Not sure how the former would work with Steam, though. Besides, I'm not sure if Notch would be willing to take the pay cut :P.

He had a meeting with Valve like a month ago and it was just to say hey and give him some management advice, evidently. He's been talking about starting his own company for a few weeks and is in the process of doing it right now using the money he's made.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MOTHERFUCK.
    I just hollowed out a hill. Made my first furnace whilst inside hollowed out hill, which I dubbed home. Stuck torches everywhere. Began creating floor 2. Made some stairs. Thenn created glass and made a window, through which Isee a green hoppity mofo which I can only assume is this 'creeper' fellow I keep hearing you all talk about. HA! I say as it jumps about licking its lips not knowing theres fucking glass between us.

I carry on creating floor two some more and after about another two in game days I decide to create a door. Look out the window and the green fellow is gone. I can't hear anything either. Must be good by now. Hammer away at the dirt next to the window, leaving a little dirt frame between the window and the in-progress door. I manage to make the right sized gap to place the door when GAME OVER.

SUMBITCH BLEW ME THE FUCK UP. HARSH.

So I respawn. Only I can't find my home :( And night is falling super fast. I quickly make a wooden pickaxe and hammer away at a tiny cliff next to a waterfall, sure I'm forgetting something. manage to eke out a little L-shaped cave and make a tiny wall at the entrance so nothing can get in but theres definitely something I've forgotten. Wow...... this is really dark.

D:

Aaaaaaaand creepers back.

Ilove this game

edit: And a zombie thing too. Seriously game?!

Love it.

edit 2: JEEEEEEEEEEEESUUUUS. That was a terrifying night. Killed both of them, barely surviving.

Big Classy on
  • Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This game is ruining me! I just stayed up until 7am building and debugging a train station on my test world. Upside is I've wired it so it can go to 8 different destinations depending on three buttons + a reset/default button. Downside: there's nowhere worth going. D:

Squirrel Rancher on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This game is ruining me! I just stayed up until 7am building and debugging a train station on my test world. Upside is I've wired it so it can go to 8 different destinations depending on three buttons + a reset/default button. Downside: there's nowhere worth going. D:

Time to start building.

Couscous on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Seriously.

Now you have to build 8 towns.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Seriously.

Now you have to build 8 towns.

Based them on old RPG towns and places. Generic fire level, generic water level, generic town, generic evil town, generic evil castle, generic good castle, generic sewer level, generic giant penis.

Couscous on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

He had a meeting with Valve like a month ago and it was just to say hey and give him some management advice, evidently. He's been talking about starting his own company for a few weeks and is in the process of doing it right now using the money he's made.

Is he building it block by block?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    He quit his job to work on Minecraft, why the hell would he want to get hired by someone else again?
    Also, yeah, don't really want everyone and everything rolled into Valve and Steam.

Glal on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Jelly JigglerJelly Jiggler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    minecraft.net just go down for anyone else?

Jelly Jiggler on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is minecraft.net down for anyone else?

edit- Looks like.

Thetheroo on
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well this game has officially completely stolen my soul. I suppose it's about time I ask for a steam invite so I can join up with my fellow victims.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ygdarthmoo

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just woke up, saw that my server was down.

It'll be back up within moments.

Ein on
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Drez wrote: »

Is he building it block by block?

:^:

You know, I believe this is the best indie success story I've seen in a long time, though. I mean, how many indie developers actually make a million off a game this quick?

Then again, I'm worried that they'll be a saturation of 'alpha' versions, and by the final version nearly anyone who would want it would already have it. Think they'll ever be a huge drop in sales before long?

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    Complete market saturation is an extremely lengthy process. Just look at the Wii.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • AlsoDAlsoD Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197999424378
    is me, that's how you link right? An invite to the steam group if you please my good chums.

AlsoD on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wish redstone circuits would work in SMP and minecart tracks wouldn't crash the servers - as it is, I don't really feel inclined to build anything.

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited September 2010
    I wish redstone circuits would work in SMP and minecart tracks wouldn't crash the servers - as it is, I don't really feel inclined to build anything.

Build the ship from Firefly, or a Halo dropship, or a scale Millenium Falcon.

UncleSporky on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Building replicas is boring (don't hurt me!)

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Build the ship from Firefly, or a Halo dropship, or a scale Millenium Falcon.
    Oh shit, son.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    could use a steam invite as well

http://steamcommunity.com/id/darkmayo

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gah I can't get into Colapture. I guess I have to be productive today!

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Complete market saturation is an extremely lengthy process. Just look at the Wii.

Not to mention that this game has appeal to a wider audience than most indie games and even retail titles. I seriously believe that almost any person can find something to enjoy in this game if they give it an honest try, and as word of mouth keeps spreading I expect it to keep growing for a long long time. How many people have we seen in the thread who have said "I tried it, but it just did not seem like any fun to me"?

Vic on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A few friends who play wanted to see my fortress, so I created a little tour through the grounds and fortress for them. I've been working on this for a few days now, and I'm relived it's pretty much complete. I want to get back to exploring.

Incidentally, after putting this together, I've suddenly realized I forgot all about signs and paintings. That'll help make it look a little less bare...

Feel free to take a look!

gilrain on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So how was Rapture created anyway? Manually in the game or through a map editor?

I was playing around with one of the editors but I couldn't really figure out how to load the level, either in single-player or on a server. Is that possible? I prefer the full palette of Survival (I was using NBT Forge) but whatever.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aw. Doors block water, even when open. I was wanting to use them as gates to turn waterfalls (or lava) on/off with a flip of a switch.

Random project idea that I'm not quite insane enough to attempt (yet): The temple from Shadow of the Colossus.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rapture is looking AMAZING guys.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Join us on DiannoChang's server for good old fashioned castle building! We don't need any fancy themes to make kick-ass architecture.

Thetheroo on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Didn't you hear?

Activision bought him out.

They've already announced the map packs and there's rumoured to be buy tools, weapons and resources for real money and a new minecraft game will be released every six months.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So how was Rapture created anyway? Manually in the game or through a map editor?

I was playing around with one of the editors but I couldn't really figure out how to load the level, either in single-player or on a server. Is that possible? I prefer the full palette of Survival (I was using NBT Forge) but whatever.

It's all done the hard way, from what I understand.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    edited September 2010

It's up. :\ Are you still not able to?

Ein on
    edited September 2010

Rapture was done by hand!

Ein on
  • samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, if you are building on a survival multiplayer server, killing monsters at night should be much of a problem since you have friends unless the amount of spawned creatures like double or something.

samurai6966 on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Notch already turned down a job offer at Valve to start his own dev company.

Zek on
  • MonthenorMonthenor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    AaronKI wrote: »
    Aw. Doors block water, even when open. I was wanting to use them as gates to turn waterfalls (or lava) on/off with a flip of a switch.

Also, falling lava/water can't trigger a pressure plate. It acts as a full block and just prevents the flow.

Lava will happily devour all the redstone you've wired next to the pressure plate, however :(

Monthenor on
This discussion has been closed.