As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MINECRAFT - Build to the sky, Dig to the depths. Join the masses.

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    gilrain wrote: »
    A few friends who play wanted to see my fortress, so I created a little tour through the grounds and fortress for them. I've been working on this for a few days now, and I'm relived it's pretty much complete. I want to get back to exploring.

Incidentally, after putting this together, I've suddenly realized I forgot all about signs and paintings. That'll help make it look a little less bare...

Feel free to take a look!

That's nice stuff, gilrain. I have yet to see reeds, or these dungeons and records folk talk about. I recently discovered a cactus though, and have found that they breed like rabbits. Cactus farming is lucrative (and I love watching things die in my fields of pain). Sounds like I need to do more exploring, as I've hardly gone far at all.

Red Raevyn on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pagoda's Done

javaw2010-09-2611-17-55-38.jpg
    javaw2010-09-2611-17-11-90.jpg
    javaw2010-09-2611-16-37-05.jpg
    javaw2010-09-2611-15-48-13.jpg

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    lighthouse.jpg

Hm. The nine fires I light in the top of my lighthouse aren't visible enough. Maybe I should just fill the top with lava.

Monthenor wrote: »
    AaronKI wrote: »
    Aw. Doors block water, even when open. I was wanting to use them as gates to turn waterfalls (or lava) on/off with a flip of a switch.

Also, falling lava/water can't trigger a pressure plate. It acts as a full block and just prevents the flow.

Lava will happily devour all the redstone you've wired next to the pressure plate, however :(

Redstone something I really need to play with, but every cool application I can think of (aside from minecart enhancements) seems pointless in single player. Why have a complex lock system or a super-secret door if you're the only one in the world? :P

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Try lining the entire walls with torches.

DeShadowC on
  • CabbsCabbs Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ugh. I have finally felt the sting of a server rollback, specifically, whatever happened to Vic's server yesterday. About two thirds of the work I did that day on the fledgling underdark mall has evaporated, refilled by stone.

Oh well. I will rebuild. Debuild. Re-mine, whatever.

EDIT: silver lining: it re-created the stack of wood I had in my box.

Cabbs on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have a performance question to ask. I'm going to have to run Minecraft exclusively from my laptop in the future, but I can't really play multiplayer very well. Everything lags like crazy and it sometimes freezes up on me. Is there anything I can do to work around this?

Thetheroo on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why have a complex lock system or a super-secret door if you're the only one in the world? :P
    I think you just need to have faith that future enhancements will allow you to open your world up to strangers. Either via in-game interface or by copying your world into another directory for a server to use.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm trying to figure out farming (in multiplayer). I cannot figure out how hydrating dirt squares work. They seem to hydrate randomly, regardless of how much water is close or right next to them.

Edit: Or maybe my irrigation system is not working as well as I would like. Hmm.

mrflippy on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    A few friends who play wanted to see my fortress, so I created a little tour through the grounds and fortress for them. I've been working on this for a few days now, and I'm relived it's pretty much complete. I want to get back to exploring.

Incidentally, after putting this together, I've suddenly realized I forgot all about signs and paintings. That'll help make it look a little less bare...

Feel free to take a look!
    That's nice stuff, gilrain. I have yet to see reeds, or these dungeons and records folk talk about. I recently discovered a cactus though, and have found that they breed like rabbits. Cactus farming is lucrative (and I love watching things die in my fields of pain). Sounds like I need to do more exploring, as I've hardly gone far at all.
    Thanks! It's a little boring compared to the creativity of many here (awesome pagoda, a few posts up!), but it's meant to be a medieval keep, more or less, and they did tend to be a bit drab. I suspect continuous additions and modifications will spice it up over time.

I'd like to find some cactus, but I'm more worried about reeds. It sounds like a lot of people never find any.

gilrain on
  • MonthenorMonthenor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd like to find some cactus, but I'm more worried about reeds. It sounds like a lot of people never find any.

I've never found clay, cacti, or reeds, even though I've built my home along a coastline covered in sand and gravel. It sounds like I would need to explore horizontally instead of constantly going down.
    :winky:

Monthenor on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How are you guys taking pictures? Standard pirnt-screen? ALso can't find any iron at all.

Big Classy on
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Minecraft.net is down. Can't connect to any server. Could anyone else verify this?

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yep it's been up and down all weekend.

Zek on
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    How are you guys taking pictures? Standard pirnt-screen? ALso can't find any iron at all.

Find a good sized natural cave and you'll be swimming in coal and iron.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    i just spent two goddamned hours in a single cave just next to my house

not much diamond, unfortunately, but some gold and obsidian and enough iron for me to outfit my own militia

when i finally decided to stop pushing my luck and dig to the surface, i pop out in the ocean less than twenty yards from the cave's entrance

go figure

Rust on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I love it when you're deep underground, loaded with goods but running dangerously low on torches and are completely lost.

You dig upwards for what seems like years, using your last torch as you frantically scrabble at the blackness, trying to claw your way to light.

Finally, the barriers fall and daylight comes screaming in, momentarily blinding you... and you realize you're now in your kitchen.

New shortcut!

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
    edited September 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    I love it when you're deep underground, loaded with goods but running dangerously low on torches and are completely lost.

You dig upwards for what seems like years, using your last torch as you frantically scrabble at the blackness, trying to claw your way to light.

Finally, the barriers fall and daylight comes screaming in, momentarily blinding you... and you realize you're now in your kitchen.

New shortcut!

I shit you not, this is exactly what happend to me today! I was devastated last night when my first encounter with a creeper got me blown to bits. Right outside my goddamn house. Alright it was just a really big cavern but still! It was behind a waterfall and everything.

Two hours ago, after yet again getting mauled I restart and see a big hill I could counquer. I reach the top and proceed to dig down realising to late that I'm screwed. I've got no torches and just two spades and a pickaxe. Somehow, by some stroke of iincredible luck I land slap bang in the middle of me aforementioned cavern! My trusty furnace and workbench right in front of me below a glas window looking out tword the waterfall.

I've since created two more floors for a total of three and created an exit from each floor. I still need to muster up the courage to go out and search some natural caves for iron and shit.

edit: This is all within 24 hours of purchasing the game btw. Even more insane is that I went in completely blind oblivious to all the mechanics, only knowing that some guy created Rapture from Bioshock or something. That was enough to make me give this guy my monies.

Big Classy on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Does the tutorial unlock if you buy the game or something?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited September 2010
    No, I figure it's probably just not done yet.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
    edited September 2010
    Does the tutorial unlock if you buy the game or something?

There's no tutorial, however it's pretty intuitive and once you learn what the blocks are you're good to go. If you go here you can find all you need to know (it really isn't a whole lot). There's also a youtube 10 minute tutorial video that was really helpfful for me.
    The first night isthe hardest

Big Classy on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

In that case, very helpful tip in this regard: you only need to find 1 cacti or reeds.

When you destroy a cactus or reed block it drops the associated block that you can plant again. The fun part is that provided the last block on the ground is not destroyed, the cactus/reed will always regenerate itself (usually very quickly, as I've had an entire forest pop back up after 1 night). So you can quickly grow a jungle.

One complicating factor is that cactus blocks will destroy other blocks (as well as hurting you/enemies if you run into them, although it's hilarious for the latter since you can construct an enemy-proof maze of trees watching them pinball around to their deaths from cacti). And since there will always be a cactus block at the bottom, then it's not that rare to bust a top block only to have it drop on the bottom block and die before you can pick it up.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited September 2010
    I'm out on my big reed-or-bust explore. I've already had to return once to drop off a large haul of clay and some cactus. Now it's back out. All I need is reed. I'll go as far as it takes! :P

Edit: Aegis, yeah thanks for the tip! I do intend to start a farm when I've gathered everything, with reed and wheat. A separate, more out of my way farm of cactus to act as a monster/animal farm for their materials. :)

gilrain on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm out on my big reed-or-bust explore. I've already had to return once to drop off a large haul of clay and some cactus. Now it's back out. All I need is reed. I'll go as far as it takes! :P

yeah, just hit the beach and start walking (WITH A COMPASS, FOR GOD'S SAKE)

you'll find some eventually

i've got to say, the game's a lot more fun for me on Peaceful difficulty after i got killed dead in four consecutive caves

it means i don't have to stop every nine minutes to hide in a hole while trekking the wilderness, for starters

Rust on
  • TremblayTremblay Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    lighthouse.jpg

Hm. The nine fires I light in the top of my lighthouse aren't visible enough. Maybe I should just fill the top with lava.

On my lighthouse I put 4 wood block (tree trunk chunks?) and light them on fire. They have been burning for a while now. If you do that, make sure that you only have stone/metal within 6 blocks of the wood.

Lighthouse from far
    lighthouse_01.png

Lighthouse from close
    lighthouse_02.png

Underwater rail track to get to the lighthouse
    lighthouse_03.png

Tremblay on
    edited September 2010
    Rust wrote: »

i've got to say, the game's a lot more fun for me on Peaceful difficulty after i got killed dead in four consecutive caves

it means i don't have to stop every nine minutes to hide in a hole while trekking the wilderness, for starters

Yeah, I switch between peaceful and normal depending on what I'm in the mood for. I'm glad the option exists to do this in your game, as opposed to a world always being set to one difficulty or the other.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, some times I just want to get my farm in shape without being bothered by green explosive dildos.

Echo on
  • EnclaveEnclave Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Barrabas wrote: »
    Rust wrote: »

Yeah, I switch between peaceful and normal depending on what I'm in the mood for. I'm glad the option exists to do this in your game, as opposed to a world always being set to one difficulty or the other.

Definitely. I'm about to work on clearing an island near my main mountain base and plan to set the game to peaceful while I do it simply because I know making it how I want will take time and I really don't want to bother with monster proofing it while I'm just preparing it all.

Enclave on
  • PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

New shortcut!

I did this on the colapture server the other day, found a metric asstonne of obsidian underground and realised I had come too far to reliably find my way out, climbed up for dear life and came up like 50 blocks from my house with Columbia clearly visible! Epic relief.

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Yeah, some times I just want to get my farm in shape without being bothered by green explosive dildos.

This is sig-worthy stuff right here.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited September 2010
    Hey hey, reed get! :D

I now have access to all materials, I believe. I'm heading back to plan and create my farm.

gilrain on
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

New shortcut!

I did this on the colapture server the other day, found a metric asstonne of obsidian underground and realised I had come too far to reliably find my way out, climbed up for dear life and came up like 50 blocks from my house with Columbia clearly visible! Epic relief.

Yeah, seriously these caverns you can spend literally hours in, and yet just be about 60 blocks directly under your house, even if the entrance was like 100 blocks away.

It's a small world, afterall

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Echo wrote: »

Sig'd!

samurai6966 on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I found an area with green tinted rocks and a man made fireplace, I was just looking around when I got randomly killed by a monster that spawned right there. Is this like some kind of monster closet?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Did it look like this:
    9q8kf7.jpg

samurai6966 on
  • WhiteSharkWhiteShark Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The fire thing is a monster spawner, either surround it with torches so it can't spawn anything or destroy it. Or you could build a water trap and drown all the monsters that spawn. Mine the mossy rocks, you can't get them from anywhere but places with monster spawners (dungeons).

WhiteShark on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    it's a monster spawn, yes

Raneados on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pagoda's Done

javaw2010-09-2611-17-55-38.jpg
    javaw2010-09-2611-17-11-90.jpg
    javaw2010-09-2611-16-37-05.jpg
    javaw2010-09-2611-15-48-13.jpg

this didn't get any love

and it should, as it is fantastic

Raneados on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I found an area with green tinted rocks and a man made fireplace, I was just looking around when I got randomly killed by a monster that spawned right there. Is this like some kind of monster closet?

Yes, it's a 'Dungeon'.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited September 2010
    was it a cage? If so yes, that's where monsters apparently spawn out of. I have yet to find one. Shit, I have yet to find a goddamned natural cave. I also need a compass bad.

Big Classy on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    People who build extensive minecart tracks - do you use invedit? The amount of iron needed just seems like it would be so tedious to unearth...

DiscoZombie on
This discussion has been closed.