As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hippin' and Hoppin' With Small Time

Small Time CrookedSmall Time Crooked Post Malone's Hairdresser Des Plaines, ILRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Artist's Corner
Whaddup Artist's Cornerer's?! Well, this is Small Time, proud member of Division Two Records. Local emcee from out of Illinois' northwest suburbs. I'm making this my little "music dump" to get some actual critiques on tracks that my label manager let's me put up. Mind you the sound quality may be a little bit butchered most of the time, youtube just tends to do that and a lot my songs are still in the mastering process. The song I'm featuring for you guys today is called "DREAM (Drugs Rule Everything Around Me)" my own little spin-off of Wu-Tang's CREAM. Comments and critique would be greatly appreciated, I get a lot of people who say "man this is awesome" but I really wanna grow as an artist and any advice you guys might be able to lend would be greatly appreciated.

D.R.E.A.M.

Small Time Crooked on

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would say your production is okay. The drums sound pretty weak though and the beat gets monotonous. Also for a song about doing obsene amounts of drugs the beat sounds completely tame and unsuited for a song such as this.

You know how to rap though. Its not bad. You didn't really say anything Earth shatteringly clever, but I guess you really weren't trying to.

I think the train has left town along time ago on drug themed parody type rap songs. Look at this Necro song for example, it uses the source song and puts a humorous spin on it. I don't even like Necro but I have to admit this song is kinda funny, and this came out 10 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiTPzeAGnyE

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Small Time CrookedSmall Time Crooked Post Malone's Hairdresser Des Plaines, ILRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, after listening to it just now, I smell ya on the beat tip. I'ma go over that tomorrow night with my producer at the studio. Give it a bit more 'oomph' and pizazz. Haha, thanks for saying I can rap at least, that brightens my mood since my ass got handed to me in a battle last night. I'll try and get something that's a little more on the inventive side soon. Don't give up on me yet, Artist Coroner's!

Small Time Crooked on