As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MINECRAFT - Build to the sky, Dig to the depths. Join the masses.

• Options
    WhiteSharkWhiteShark Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't know what you mean by "extensive", but natural caves are loaded with iron, so I've never had any trouble building my minecart tracks.

WhiteShark on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    WhiteShark wrote: »
    I don't know what you mean by "extensive", but natural caves are loaded with iron, so I've never had any trouble building my minecart tracks.
    maybe I'm unlucky, but often I don't even break even in iron, vs. the amount I put into my pickaxes vs. the amount I get out. I burned through 2 iron picks today without finding a single cube of iron...

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    maybe I'm unlucky, but often I don't even break even in iron, vs. the amount I put into my pickaxes vs. the amount I get out. I burned through 2 iron picks today without finding a single cube of iron...

Ditto.

Mine cart tracks seem un reachable....

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just picked up something that has an icon that looks like a saddle. It was in a chest, any idea what it might be? man I wish items had names on them.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    EnclaveEnclave Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I've only very recently started playing. But I've found that it's best to just stick to stone pickaxes rather than waste iron.

Just save your iron pickaxes for mining things like gold, redstone and diamond.

Enclave on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Enclave wrote: »

I've only very recently started playing. But I've found that it's best to just stick to stone pickaxes rather than waste iron.

Just save your iron pickaxes for mining things like gold, redstone and diamond.

Truth. Just go into your mine with 6-9 stone pickaxes instead of using better ones.

WhiteShark on
  • Options
    Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

There is no reason to be making pickaxes out of iron. Just make them out of stone. They work just as well and are easily replaceable.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I love the finished pagoda! The reeds are a great touch. I notice your arm is stripey - I'll assume you're Hobbes.

Creeper story:
    I had been "oot and aboot" and was finally returning to my sky-castle. I built this thing to be in-friggin-penetrable, it being a successor to my initial tree fort. The only way in and out is via a central vertical shaft with a ladder. The shaft has a hidden door about halfway up for surface access, and also connects via tunnels to my tree fort and mines.

skycastle.png

I wanted to show my roommate something I'd added to the upper floors, so I quickly scaled the ladder. Imagine my surprise when my ascension led not to my quaint and cozy interior, but my untimely and explosive demise. After my bewilderment I realized that when I added a third floor, I didn't put torches in the now-dark second floor. *facepalm*

I recovered my items and cried at the hole in my fort, all while being mocked. See, no one I live with believes that creepers exist. I keep talking about evil green penises, but they think I'm making it up because they've never seen it - only the explosion. Thankfully I saw a creeper from my fort and headed to the ground to show it to the non-believers.

While I descended, the evil bastard fell into the small pool of water at the foot of the castle. I was safe to mock him as he feebly tried to jump out, but decided to run back to jump up onto the grass. (Somehow having a z-advantage makes me feel safer.) As we pointed and laughed at the stupid penis-man, something happened (I don't know what) and my FPS instincts took over. How?

In-game:
    I did a flying leap and quick mouse-turn 180, narrowly escaping death as a second creeper blew the hill behind me to smithereens.

IRL:
    All of my limbs went up in the air as my roommate and I jumped and screamed like little girls, causing the cat to rocket off the office chair she'd been sitting on (which was left rolling and spinning).

Evil, evil creepers.

PS - Don't try to figure out the logic in my item arrangement in the screenshot. I was lazy and got myself killed taking the screenshot, so I'd just picked it all up :P

Red Raevyn on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    i just spent two goddamned hours in a single cave just next to my house

not much diamond, unfortunately, but some gold and obsidian and enough iron for me to outfit my own militia

when i finally decided to stop pushing my luck and dig to the surface, i pop out in the ocean less than twenty yards from the cave's entrance

go figure

For the longest time I found more diamond then even coal. To give you an idea my first three in-game days I didn't find a single block of coal. Those were long nights spent in a pitch black small hole. I systematically demolished an entire continent and ended up getting a ton of diamond and coal. I literally used it to build a tower of diamond blocks on the top of my castle. I need to prune my map file. I've only built in a small area but thanks to digging I'm over 100MB.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just picked up something that has an icon that looks like a saddle. It was in a chest, any idea what it might be? man I wish items had names on them.

It is exactly that, find a pig, slap it on, ride pig.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arthil wrote: »

Awesome, now what is the mossy rock good for?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What do I have to do/copy to get Minecraft to work off my flash drive on a computer with no access to the internet?

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    What do I have to do/copy to get Minecraft to work off my flash drive on a computer with no access to the internet?
    You need the minecraft executable and the contents of your %APPDATA%\Roaming\.minecraft\ folder. Edit: move the .minecraft folder to the corresponding %APPDATA%\Roaming\ folder on the new computer.

Actually it MAY be possible to launch Minecraft.exe from a command shell that overrides the APPDATA environment variable with some path on your flash drive. I can try to play with that during lunch -- see if Minecraft really just uses the environment variable or something else instead.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What do I do with the contents of that folder?

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Also can you float a boat on lava?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Mossy rock is good for looking like mossy rock, and about the boat, well, you can always try

WhiteShark on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Minecraft wiki says no you cannot use a boat on lava.

mspencer on
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mspencer wrote: »
    Minecraft wiki says no you cannot use a boat on lava.

You probably could, it'd just burn up and you'd die horribly. Which is less than ideal.

And mossy rock is also good for making giant creepers, which can then be drowned in lava by giant pigs :mrgreen:

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Also can you float a boat on lava?

Well, considering a boat is made of wood... sure, go ahead and try it =D

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You can use Iron buckets to carry lava right? I've been trying but I've been unable to get any in the bucket thus far for some reason.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Barrabas wrote: »
    You can use Iron buckets to carry lava right? I've been trying but I've been unable to get any in the bucket thus far for some reason.

flowing water and lava won't go into a bucket

you need to find still pools, which is easy for water (vis-a-vis something called "the ocean") but much harder for lava, since the only still pools you'll find of that stuff are likely to be the ones meant to swallow up morons who dig at their feet

Rust on
  • Options
    UnabridgedCaptainUnabridgedCaptain Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gentlemen, I inquire: how deep should one dig his minecart subway in order to avoid nicking the ocean?

UnabridgedCaptain on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    Barrabas wrote: »

flowing water and lava won't go into a bucket

you need to find still pools, which is easy for water (vis-a-vis something called "the ocean") but much harder for lava, since the only still pools you'll find of that stuff are likely to be the ones meant to swallow up morons who dig at their feet

Ok, thanks. It seems taking it from the source of the lava flow tends to work.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gentlemen, I inquire: how deep should one dig his minecart subway in order to avoid nicking the ocean?

underneath it obviously. There is no set level for ocean floors

pabh on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    How do you build water tight structures under the ocean?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I think you need to build solid beams of material (5x5 or 6x6) that join the coastline, and then carefully tunnel into the middle of the beam.

Also apparently "airlocks" are easy to make: water will never jump up over a chest-high wall unless it's already above that height, so you pick a square for your airlock, surround it with a chest-high wall, then open it to the ocean. Only that one square will flood.

mspencer on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Searching for reeds is such a pain in the ass I usually just end up cheating to get myself just one reed seedling (?) and then doing everything else manually. I also cheat for flowers cause I like to leave what's on the ground alone cause they're pretty there.

Everything else though I prefer working for myself. I don't want a million diamonds I just want the 5 I nearly died trying to earn.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    I wish redstone circuits would work in SMP and minecart tracks wouldn't crash the servers - as it is, I don't really feel inclined to build anything.

Build the ship from Firefly, or a Halo dropship, or a scale Millenium Falcon.
    Oh shit, son.
    Gentlemen, I give you the very first outlining for a full-scale Serenity.
    serenicraft.jpg

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    formatformat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Got so angry the other day. I lost nearly a 64 stack of iron ore, a bunch of diamond, and everything by fucking around near lava in the cave I mined out.

Started a new world and within hours I had more than twice the amount of iron and diamond I ever had in the first world.

format on
    You don't know if I am joking or not.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I wish redstone circuits would work in SMP and minecart tracks wouldn't crash the servers - as it is, I don't really feel inclined to build anything.

Oh shit, son.
    serenicraft.jpg

What's with the floating chests all over the place?

WhiteShark on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    some way to "grid" and easily measure blocks i am guessing

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    Currently collecting various materials to make A Cool Thing, but I need to know roughly how tall the player is. In meters, if possible!

Each block is 1m3, and the player is 1.7m tall.

Excellent. Thanks!

Tamin on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Any server mods to recommend? Ein, what are you running? I'd like something for those /warp waypoints and stuff.

Echo on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    what file should i be setting Cartographer to look at when i run it on a multiplayer map?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SO wait. If you dont use iron for tools.... what should i use diamond for? armor? Iron clears rock so much faster....

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Oh shit, son.
    serenicraft.jpg

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Its gone past midnight. I started playing just before 7. On the plus side, I have a stairway coming down the side of the waterfall around which my fort is built and I've created a tunnel going to a nearby cave. I found tonnes of iron there and there was no way I would forget where it was so I just dug a tunnel back home.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    SO wait. If you dont use iron for tools.... what should i use diamond for? armor? Iron clears rock so much faster....

Iron doesn't clear that much faster, and it has plenty of other uses. As for diamond, you should have a diamond pick for obsidian (and obsidian only!) and a diamond sword because the 2 shot things instead of 3 shot. Not sure about what else to do with diamonds, I'm hesitant to use them.

WhiteShark on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Oh shit, son.
    serenicraft.jpg

You totally need to make it free floating instead of on the ground.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    you also need to make the whole thing out of iron blocks.

Evil Multifarious on
This discussion has been closed.