As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MINECRAFT - Build to the sky, Dig to the depths. Join the masses.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    WhiteShark wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    SO wait. If you dont use iron for tools.... what should i use diamond for? armor? Iron clears rock so much faster....
    Iron doesn't clear that much faster, and it has plenty of other uses. As for diamond, you should have a diamond pick for obsidian (and obsidian only!) and a diamond sword because the 2 shot things instead of 3 shot. Not sure about what else to do with diamonds, I'm hesitant to use them.
    Diamond picks go through ordinary blocks like butter. If you've left over diamond I highly recommend them, and they last a while.

Glal on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    what file should i be setting Cartographer to look at when i run it on a multiplayer map?

can anyone help me with this?

i'm targeting the "world" directory and it's giving me an error and crashing Cartographer. but the directory works when i do it for a singleplayer map.

Evil Multifarious on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Akimbo, I don't know if you're using this or not, but the Serenity tabletop RPG has a DM screen that comes with a huge grid map of the ship.

Delzhand on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What are diamonds useful for other than for tools?

Couscous on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    What are diamonds useful for other than for tools?

Armor, record players, being shiny

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Akimbo, that looks really cool.

For my own megaproject, I gave up on hobbiton. It was too simple, and visually boring. I've cleared a large area and begun measuring out blood gulch. It seemed like an easy step up. We'll see.

PolloDiablo on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fire in the dome!

Edit: I logged off so admin can get on

Delzhand on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    And, actually, do we have anyone sending invites to the group, still? Could I get one at http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970867596 please?

PolloDiablo on
  • PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Goddamnit I've been having trouble with trying to get onto Colapture all day! I'm not sure where the fault lies either as my internet seems fine, minecraft.net is running and last i knew the server was simply undergoing a restart

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fucking trees won't grow where I want them to.

Couscous on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ein's server is full? No!

EDIT: Nvm, got in.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jailed, can't post image, but someone re-post this so it's visible. Pretty neat Minecraft image:

1285541495409.png

GPIA7R on
    edited September 2010
    Spoilered for OMGTHATSABIGIMAGE
    1285541495409.png

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Ein's server is full? No!

EDIT: Nvm, got in.

Damn you I've been trying to get in for forever but if I don't get "server full", I get "took too long to log in"

I actually got DC'd and can't get back in because it's full again.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wouldn't mind buying (or making) a nice big poster of that for framing.

The downside is that I would have creepers on my bedroom wall.. staring at me as I try to sleep.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • UbuRoiAAUbuRoiAA Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If me and my friend get this tonight or tomorrow, are there servers here that would like us to join?

As I said before, I care more about the mining than the building, so I don't mind giving materials to anyone building epic stuff.

And we would really like to visit Rapture, the Underdark, and etc.

UbuRoiAA on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    I wish redstone circuits would work in SMP and minecart tracks wouldn't crash the servers - as it is, I don't really feel inclined to build anything.

Build the ship from Firefly, or a Halo dropship, or a scale Millenium Falcon.
    Oh shit, son.
    Gentlemen, I give you the very first outlining for a full-scale Serenity.
    serenicraft.jpg

<3

I'm working on a TIE Defender, but I'm not having much luck. Made a 10x10x10 block, and I'll carve it out tomorrow.

Tamin on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I want to dig out a giant chamber under my farm house on colrapture and built a giant fruit fucker statue.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited September 2010
    AaronKI wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind buying (or making) a nice big poster of that for framing.

The downside is that I would have creepers on my bedroom wall.. staring at me as I try to sleep.

Go to sssssssssssssssssssssleep
    Go to sssssssssssssssssssssleep:whistle:

Edit: Tim, hide that post, then just reveal it one day :-D

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Does anyone have any screens of the fire in Rapture? That shit was epic.

Ive begun sketching out my full-scale 1-1 Mario level and I will start on that in the next few days. I expect it to take about 2 weeks if I put in a few hours every day, especially considering it took 3 hours to do one mushroom.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, I know Vic is making a new Underdark and I'm curious as to what is going on. I think he's just remaking it so it's larger but he is going to copy all the stuff we made right? Also do we get to build up on the surface?

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just finished making a nice little obsidian farm. It's a pretty simple building, but for whatever reason I like it a lot.
    of1lg.png

of2v.png

of3.png

Just noticed the cow stuck in the water vortex I inadvertently created. We'll call that a feature of the building.

Now ... to go find some diamond to remake my lost diamond pick. Stupid Creepers.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
    edited September 2010
    Wow that is awesome! I [strike]will[/strike]might steal this concept.

nuka on
  • Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Seems to me like it'd be easier to just make a mold out of dirt to cast your obsidian buildings or what have you.

Squirrel Rancher on
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You'd have to do the building layer by layer. I'm not sure it would be that much easier. Plus ... then I wouldn't have an obsidian farm.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ok, so I'm digging further beneath my fort, and I come across this rock.
    6pb6dc.jpg

What is it? And what do I need to dig through it?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Someone shouldn't of changed the thread title lol....

Its bedrock, Bottom of the map.

Other questions you may end up having include...

It's a monster spawner. If your not playing on peaceful it will spawn monsters.

Thats a saddle, You put it on pigs to ride them around....

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    warban wrote: »
    Someone shouldn't of changed the thread title lol....

Its bedrock, Bottom of the map.
    Crap, so that's it for that section?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    anoffday wrote: »
    Ok, so I'm digging further beneath my fort, and I come across this rock.
    6pb6dc.jpg

What is it? And what do I need to dig through it?

I believe that is bedrock. If so do not dig through as you will fall out of the game.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• VicVic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    nuka wrote: »
    So, I know Vic is making a new Underdark and I'm curious as to what is going on. I think he's just remaking it so it's larger but he is going to copy all the stuff we made right? Also do we get to build up on the surface?

I have been working with Carbonfire on the next underdark, but so far it has been mostly working out the technology behind it all, and him doing most of the work. Hopefully I will soon have a workable copy, and then I can start finishing some of the caves and give you some preview screenshots. It is going to be really cool you guys!

A tiny teaser that really does not do it justice. This is with increased brightness and contrast, though I realise I should have increased it further.
    nextunderdark.png

nextunderdark2.png

Edit: And to answer a question Ein asked ages ago and I did not have an answer for then, as far as I know the programs used have mainly been NBT Forge to generate the level and Mcedit to move a finite map into an infinite one.

As for the current underdark, it will not initially be part of the next underdark. The idea after all is to start afresh in a world full of monsters, and having as huge a constructed area as we do on that map would rather spoil that. Moving it over would also be impractical for a number of reason, and there are constructed areas on that map that could not possibly fit into this new underdark. While I have not definitely decided so, I will most likely settle with uploading the current underdark so people can enjoy it in single player or rehost it when the next one replaces it.

Edit2: Added a second better picture. They still don't do it justice!

Vic on
    edited September 2010
    Oh my goodness.

I've built a lot but I would like to move on I think too. Is it still a winter map and will we have access to the surface?

nuka on
  • EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lately some small outside waterfalls have been the centre of my attentions. I've roughly figured out a system to make them travel in a relatively horizontal direction (getting around waters' strange behaviour) and look something like rapids or white water networks.
    Looking up toward the source

rapidsy.jpg

The source was only a few blocks in length. I had to do a lot of landscaping

rapids2.jpg

Trying to make it look natural by churning out rock under the sides of the river as it travels underground

rapids3.jpg

My first effort

river5.jpg

Again, this started off as a trickle just below the threshold

river4d.jpg

This actually travels right around my home and into a mine

homecz.jpg

Estilo on
  • SaintSaint Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey what's the link to rapture?

Saint on
    edited September 2010
    Oh my goodness.

I've built a lot but I would like to move on I think too. Is it still a winter map and will we have access to the surface?

I wanted you to have some kind of access to the surface, but at the moment I am not sure. It is pretty low on my priority list, and there are problems inherent that make it unlikely that I will put it in.

Vic on
    edited September 2010
    Vic wrote: »
    Oh my goodness.

I wanted you to have some kind of access to the surface, but at the moment I am not sure. It is pretty low on my priority list, and there are problems inherent that make it unlikely that I will put it in.

Alright cool. If I wanna go outside I have a singleplayer map.

nuka on
    edited September 2010
    That is sort of the point. The only real reason I want it in is for the surface cult, if people want sunshine and exploration there are plenty of other places to look.

Vic on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ok, I got Minecraft.exe on my flash drive and the contents of the .minecraft roaming app folder. How do I get it to run without access to minecraft.net? It says play online once to enable offline.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Literally make underdark nothing but dirt and rock sandwiched between two layers of adminium.

Squirrel Rancher on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Literally make underdark nothing but dirt and rock sandwiched between two layers of adminium.

There should be a small surface world at least. With say 20 layers of dirt and sky, then a layer of bedrock with holes here and there to allow a few accesss points to the Underdark.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I saw someone using Wood and flint and tinder to make a lighthouse top, so I tried to mimic that on my single player for a big watchtower.

Is it just my winter map, or should these be burning a lot longer? They only lasted a few moments.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
This discussion has been closed.