As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2011 PAX Forum Challenge Coin - ORDERS CLOSED. That's it!

papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in PAX Archive
Edit: Orders for the production run have been completed. No more are being produced. Sorry if you didn't get one! You might want to consider posting in here and asking others if they'd be willing to trade or sell you their coins.

Begin Karmacappa:
<deleted>
See the post for full details.

Here is how it is going to go:
Any orders that were submitted earlier via Paypal are being refunded. If you ordered by credit card, you will not be charged and that order will be cancelled.

Moving ahead. USCC has adjusted their production pipeline in order to ensure that it is possible to get coins by PAX and to make sure shipping is billed appropriately. The other side to this is that coins will be billed at a rate of $4.50 a coin (tax and shipping included). My apologies for quoting the earlier price, I didn't mean to get anyone's hopes up in vain.

US Challenge Coins is ordering the coins produced in lots. It's a little bit more expensive this way, but they're keeping track of stock on hand, and they will be able to receive and ship these out in a very timely manner this way. The coins can be ordered through their site for the next two weeks, but the sooner you order, the sooner you get your coins. If you order two weeks from now, there is no guarantee you will get your coin before PAX. If you order now, Patrick at USCC assures me you WILL get your coin before PAX (barring unforseen circumstances, like a single person ordering 300 coins at once). So to be clear, if you want coins before PAX, get your orders in ASAP. Orders will be shipped in the order they are received.

The coins will be available at http://www.uschallengecoins.com/store/ pax-east?___SID=U (delete the spaces in the URL, I purposely put them in there so search engines won't link that page). There is very little information on that page about the coin itself so that it doesn't get indexed in search engines. It is our real coin though, and this is something USCC set up just for this event. They will be up for 2 weeks, but we can not guarantee that orders placed at the end of that period will arrive before you leave for PAX. USCC accepts VISA, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, Paypal, and Google Checkout from their site.

As soon as there are pictures of the proof coin, these will be posted here. Again, my apologies for any problems we've had so far.

1-28-2011 PROPOSED OBVERSE:
paxeast2011challengecoi.png
Need comments! How's it look??

2-1-2011 MODIFIED REVERSE:

paxeast2011challengecoi.png

Let me know what you think below.

Original Post:

Oh no I di'int!

Yes, I did. I created the thread. Firstly, because I need control of the OP. Secondly, because I am intent on doing this. Thirdly, because it's clear to me that we need to discuss this now, as opposed to waiting two months before PAX.

So we PAX forumers made challenge coins for PAX Prime 2010. I organized the event. The result was this:
challengecoinobverses.jpg

challengecoinreverses.jpg

img5385croppeds.jpg
A sophisticated design for the sophisticated PAX forumer. ;-)

We are intent on doing it again for PAX East 2011. We are also intent on getting another great design.

Right now I am interested in discussing possibilities for the design. My first thought is that on the reverse we will do the following: Completely desecrate the George Washington statue in Boston Public Garden by portraying him from this angle (zoomed in/cropped, of course) with his free hand holding a DS:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_PmsaRrt_JBc/S_6CpdLKAPI/AAAAAAAAASI/UfpsCasaBmk/s1600/IMG_1011.JPG

The obverse is open for suggestions. As an initial idea, I am toying with the idea of putting a picture of a bust of a really nerdy person with a neck beard (because PAX is simply not complete without neck beards) from a 30 degree portrait angle, with the words "The Neck Beard" adorning it. I had another idea that I thought to be pretty capital, but I've since lost it. There will be plenty of time to determine what else could be on the coin, though. It is worth mentioning that although I am very partial to the design of the hand holding the DS, it has been done. On the other hand, if we could somehow incorporate it into the obverse design in an appropriate manner, I am not opposed to that either.

Because Northwest Territorial Mint is not set up for taking orders from multiple people, I suggest we go through US Challenge Coins (http://www.uschallengecoins.com/), which has an online store that YOU can order from directly. I hear they do good work. Additionally, their coins are cheap and look better with more options for less money. We will also attempt to go with a better finish this time around, something other than antique brass. Some of their options are outlined here:
http://www.uschallengecoins.com/coin-plating/custom-services/products/challenge-coin-plating
I personally have my eye on antique nickel.
I would also personally like to see George Washington and his horse in 3D:
http://www.uschallengecoins.com/coin-additions/custom-services/products/challenge-coin-additions
Finally, I don't think we'll want to go with anything too extravagant for the edges, and I certainly don't want to go with the reeded edges like we did with the Prime coins. Perhaps we can even put our motto on the outside edging if we feel like spending the extra money.
http://www.uschallengecoins.com/coin-edging/custom-services/products/challenge-coin-edging

Because orders will no longer be taken through me, I would also like to open up discussion on what we should do with whatever funds remain in the Challenge Coin Fund For the Nerdy and Underprivileged, which was established to purchase coins for those of stated financial need.
One of two things can be done: Firstly, we can leave the funds available for their original purpose: To place orders for those of stated financial need. The money is currently in my bank account that I set up for the purpose of challenge coin orders. Whatever is left after NWTM is finished extracting funds from my account can be used to order people coins. However, I will not be asking anyone to donate to replenish the fund. I am done being mediator for coin orders.
The other thing we can do is put the money toward the purchase of the die casting. Such a process is usually expensive. We will not go with this option until it has met mass approval by everyone in the thread. The money was originally earmarked by each person's request for persons of financial need. However, as mentioned, I am a tad weary of managing other people's money. I am willing to exhaust the current funds, but beyond that I will be finished with that.
So let us please discuss the fund as well.

Let us begin discussion of the PAX East 2011 PAX Forum Challenge Coin. If you have suggestions/propositions/mockups for designs, then please contribute your ideas. If you are leaning toward any particular design element that is showcased on USCC's web site above, post about that too.

paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
papaprinny on

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    This should be mentioned outright.

Because this is a community coin and they will be posted for sale, the following imagery is not authorized for use by the powers that be:
    The PAX/PAX East logo (although the text "PAX", "PAX East", and "Penny Arcade Expo" are okay)
    Depictions of Gabe, Tycho and/or other Penny Arcade characters or artwork.

All that said, I still stand by that somebody should create a PAX Community logo or crest to be used on one side., as this is as much a community endeavor as it is anything.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ok, this is an incredible idea. Love it. I'd love to make a design contribution! I'll make a mock up at some point, but I like the idea of two cupped hands on one side offering forward a d20, with the 20 in prominent display, of course, with the edges of the coin wreathed by mirroring dice, going top to bottom in the order of d4, d6, d8, d10, d12. I absolutely love the Latin "never be a dick" and welcome home, and would put them on top and bottom, respectively. On the other side, the picture would be of the USS Constitution, a totally iconic Boston symbol, crashing through waves, and then going with what you had on the previous coin, ring it with PAX East 2011, Boston, Massachusetts, March 11-13. I'll post a mock up when I've got the time to put one together. Also, looked at the site, and I loved the antique nickel!

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • Options
    benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Very nice idea, but how about instead of George Washington, the Paul Revere statue with the old north church in the background, I just think more about Paul Revere when I think about Boston, then I do George Washington, but to each his own!

istockphoto_9413960-paul-revere-statue-and-old-north-church.jpg

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Prime coins came out amazingly, and I'll treasure mine forever. :) I'd vote that the leftover money be used for the die.

We had video games for the Prime coin - perhaps we should emphasize a different facet for the next games? I'm not a tabletop gamer, but a D20 would be a great symbol, as would a classic joystick.

Heleor on
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    For the past month I've been pondering what sort of building/symbol/image screamed "Boston" in the same way the Space Needle screams "Seattle". The best I've come up with is the bridge that was one of the major things put in during the Big Dig. Coming from the north, every time I go into Boston I cross over this bridge. (And I think it has unique look). I don't know if that's something that's recognized outside of New England though...?

I have to agree that if we go with one of the statues, Paul Revere is the better choice as he does seem more "Boston" to me than George Washington.

That being said, I more strongly favor something other than the hand holding the DS. I'm for a d20 being the gaming item on this one.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    TennbergTennberg Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Unfortunately, Boston doesn't really have any architecture that is widely recognized, such as NYC's Empire State Building, Chicago's Sears Tower, etc. I found this shot that might serve as some sort of inspiration. It's a view from the Charles looking toward the Hancock:
    boston.jpg

The Zakim Bridge isn't really widely known, so I don't think it would be a good representation for the coin.

As someone mentioned, Paul Revere is also a good idea with the Old North Church in the background, perhaps even with 2 lanterns in it.

Tennberg on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I love the Paul Revere shot, especially with the church in the background (but I am biased there). The Paul Revere statue absolutely screams Boston. I am in favor of using that over George Washington. I also like the idea of the d20, I'd go either with that or the DS, as both are PAX symbols (though I will personally always lean toward the DS, which has been a major symbol of PAX from the beginning).

Onmitsu: The Constitution is a symbol of Boston, and although our coins' designs are inspired by military challenge coins, this is not a military challenge coin. Just be careful not to make the imagery too militaristic.

Moe: I am all in favor of someone producing a PAX community logo. Such an endeavor is going to need to go through a long development process that most people will be able to agree on. Such a thing is difficult to do, as you need to select simple, uncluttered imagery that shouts PAX Community. This is made difficult since we don't really have much in the way of imagery. But I agree that this is something that should be done at some point. If a design expert would like to propose such a thing in this thread, then by all means, do so. We can create a community image along side this coin, and perhaps incorporate the imagery onto the coin.

papaprinny on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I think for Boston, a little historical usage might be in order.

Or maybe something that somehow incorporates the USS Constitution
    constitution_wind_2.jpg

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited September 2010
    papaprinny wrote: »
    I love the Paul Revere shot, especially with the church in the background (but I am biased there). The Paul Revere statue absolutely screams Boston. I am in favor of using that over George Washington. I also like the idea of the d20, I'd go either with that or the DS, as both are PAX symbols (though I will personally always lean toward the DS, which has been a major symbol of PAX from the beginning).

Onmitsu: The Constellation is a symbol of Boston, and although our coins' designs are inspired by military challenge coins, this is not a military challenge coin. Just be careful not to make the imagery too militaristic.

How about a DS with an image of a D20 on the screen?

edit: and since this is Boston, what if we changed the "Don't be a dick" translation to Gaelic. Granted, it might be harder to translate than Latin was.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    papaprinny wrote: »

Onmitsu: The Constellation is a symbol of Boston, and although our coins' designs are inspired by military challenge coins, this is not a military challenge coin. Just be careful not to make the imagery too militaristic.

How about a DS with an image of a D20 on the screen?

edit: and since this is Boston, what if we changed the "Don't be a dick" translation to Gaelic. Granted, it might be harder to translate than Latin was.

Mmmm, I don't think the USS Constitution (the boat that moe posted the picture of, I'm assuming that's what you meant with constellation) is too militaristic, it's a museum ship nowadays, it's actually really cool if you get the chance to visit. A DS with a d20 on the screen would be neat, but part of the reason I like the boat and dice imagery is it makes it unique from the pax prime coin. Boats feel... voyage/adventure-y to me, and PAX is definitely an adventure!

@ Moe: I looooove the gaelic idea, that'd be an awesome boston touch <3 I have an Irish friend who's fluent in gaelic and could easily do the translation :D

Onmitsu on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I'd avoid using an Irish translation, as it prefers one particular group rather than recognizing that Boston has a history involving many nationalities (British, Irish, Italian, Russians, Germans, French Canadians, etc).

As far as the USS Constitution, it is still a commissioned naval vessel.

Tennberg on
  • Options
    undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Boston is a lot of things to a lot of people, so you need a building that represents a lot of things to a lot of people:

The Museum of Science would be my suggestion.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Onmitsu wrote: »
    A DS with a d20 on the screen would be neat
    I'm pretty sure Moe was kidding.
    You're kidding, right Moe?

I'm sure Seattle means a lot of things to a lot of people as well. But the one thing in Seattle that everyone (not just the people who live there) can identify as Seattle imagery is the space needle. Same principal applies to Boston. I don't live there. But the Paul Revere statue is, to a person on the outside looking in, a symbol of the city, something we can all look at and say "Boston." I must say I really am leaning toward this as our reverse imagery unless someone can think of something else. The most likely alternative would be to eschew the imagery of the city entirely and go with something more PAX-specific.

Let's not forget to talk about the obverse as well. How much do you like your neck beards at PAX? Not very much? Perhaps we should use something else...?

papaprinny on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No neckbeards on the coin, thank you. That's a negative stereotype I'd rather not have immortalized in metal.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    LimondLimond Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Paul Revere could do his famous ride yelling "The gamers are coming!" Signifying the invasion of Boston by gamers. Thus portraying us as indeed arriving, and allowing the anti-gaming activists to ready the minutemen militia and volley away at the obvious psychopaths that have come. Since we are the greatest trained army in the world, with all that GTA we've been playing.

The perfect historical analogy.

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Limond wrote: »
    Paul Revere could do his famous ride yelling "The gamers are coming!" Signifying the invasion of Boston by gamers. Thus portraying us as indeed arriving, and allowing the anti-gaming activists to ready the minutemen militia and volley away at the obvious psychopaths that have come. Since we are the greatest trained army in the world, with all that GTA we've been playing.

With a D20 in his outstretched hand!

antherem on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Having donated to the Fund for the Nerdy and Underprivileged, I vote for it to be used for the die as well.

Also Paul Revere holding a DS would be awesome.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Limond wrote: »

XD XD XD. That would be pretty epic. Put the Paul Revere statue on the coin, and use that to rim the top or bottom. The d20 in the raised hand would also be an epic touch. I think that officially gets my vote for the city-themed side of the coin.

Onmitsu on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No neckbeards on the coin, thank you. That's a negative stereotype I'd rather not have immortalized in metal.
    Ah, where's your sense of humor? I'll bet even Lucas Film makes fun of themselves every now and then with references to Jar Jar.

papaprinny on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The DS should be specific to PAX Prime, to me PAX East felt more Tabletop and D&D friendly/centric than DS (the handheld space was kinda weak in Hynes) So maybe stick to a d20/some other symbol from that.

EDIT: Paul Revere holding a giant d20 (similar to the famous shot of Tycho)

Goose! on
  • Options
    Connor CGConnor CG Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    I think the coin needs Paul Revere and a D20 on it. PAX Prime seems more video game focused. PAX East seemed more about all types of gaming. We should embrace the D20 as our symbol.

Connor CG on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    coin.jpg

I carry my coin in my pocket at all times. It makes a wonderful sound when you flip it, and it's a great conversation starter. I love having a memento of PAX with me wherever I go. Just don't drop it on a hard surface: mine already has a few dents in the side.

The Paul Revere image linked above is fantastic. I'm not married to using Paul Revere/George Washington, exactly, but that specific image has a great angle and composition and is really begging to be defaced.

I don't know about the assertion that Prime is video game centric and East is tabletop centric. I think all games are pretty well represented at both. I do, however, think that the DS was on the Prime coin, and we should toss the spotlight over to one of the other iconic symbols. A d20 is a natural choice.

Honestly, I think having the Latin be the same on all the coins is a good way to tie them all together. It's one of the most prominent undercurrents of PAX. It's in the program. It's in the rules. Now that we've put it on one coin, I think we should keep it on all of them.

One of my favorite things about the Prime coin is how classy it is. There's no cheap, offensive, or weird jokes like neckbeards (sorry, Prinny!) or dickwolves on it. I'm all for offensive jokes, but... not on the coin. I have absolutely no problem pulling it out and showing friends, co-workers, relatives, etc. who might not be in on those kinds of jokes. It's a collectible I'm proud to show off to anyone. So I would be very hesitant to put anything too "out there" on it.

My suggestion:

Front: Paul Revere image from above with nerdy defacements. "Numquam Mentula Es" and "Welcome Home." Pac-Man border optional - we can change that up.

Back: Boston skyline/harbor/churches/something iconic about the city. "PAX East 2011, Boston, Massachusetts, March 11-13"

And, as always, Prinny is the man.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was thinking that we shouldn't have Paul Revere and the Boston Skyline both.

I'm also having trouble visualizing the Paul Revere statue such that the D20 is still prominent.

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Why not just go with the format the Seattle coin uses?

On the front, a hand holding a _____. (D20, Atari controller, etc.)

On the back, a shot of the Boston skyline (Pru, Hancock) with the Charles in the foreground with some sailboats.

While using Paul Revere would be nice, I don't think you'd be able to fully capture it on the back (plus most people wouldn't instantly recognize it, not that most people would recognize the Boston skyline, but that's another story).

Tennberg on
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    We should have Fenway on the coin.

That is all.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Arco wrote: »

The Paul Revere image linked above is fantastic. I'm not married to using Paul Revere/George Washington, exactly, but that specific image has a great angle and composition and is really begging to be defaced.

I don't know about the assertion that Prime is video game centric and East is tabletop centric. I think all games are pretty well represented at both. I do, however, think that the DS was on the Prime coin, and we should toss the spotlight over to one of the other iconic symbols. A d20 is a natural choice.

Honestly, I think having the Latin be the same on all the coins is a good way to tie them all together. It's one of the most prominent undercurrents of PAX. It's in the program. It's in the rules. Now that we've put it on one coin, I think we should keep it on all of them.

One of my favorite things about the Prime coin is how classy it is. There's no cheap, offensive, or weird jokes like neckbeards (sorry, Prinny!) or dickwolves on it. I'm all for offensive jokes, but... not on the coin. I have absolutely no problem pulling it out and showing friends, co-workers, relatives, etc. who might not be in on those kinds of jokes. It's a collectible I'm proud to show off to anyone. So I would be very hesitant to put anything too "out there" on it.

My suggestion:

Front: Paul Revere image from above with nerdy defacements. "Numquam Mentula Es" and "Welcome Home." Pac-Man border optional - we can change that up.

Back: Boston skyline/harbor/churches/something iconic about the city. "PAX East 2011, Boston, Massachusetts, March 11-13"

And, as always, Prinny is the man.

This is very well put, though I think that the Paul Revere statue is really iconic boston in and of itself, and I'd love to see "The Gamers are Coming" somewhere on that side of the coin. As much as I do love gaelic, now that I dwell on it, the latin tying the coins together is probably for the best. Then again, why not have the statue be the back, the iconic image with "PAX East 2011, Boston, Massachusetts, March 11-13", and the front be a D20 being held up or offered forward? I like the pac-man border, and definitely wouldn't mind seeing it again, but I also like the notion of a wreath of gaming dice, d4, d6, d8, d10, d12 around the d20, or whatever goes in the middle.

Also, @ the Fenway mention... I think that'd probably be about as inappropriate for the con as it gets, even if it is iconic. It's a massive sports symbol, which is about as far removed from the concept for the con as possible, and an incredibly polarizing one. The last thing we need is to bring sports team loyalty/fandom into this.

Onmitsu on
  • Options
    BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Sacred Wreath of Gaming Dice sounds great. If Prime has a DS and Pac-Man, the natural fit for a D20 is for it to be among its brethren. If it weren't insanely expensive, I'd vote for Pac-Man and dots around the edge of the coin.

I love the Paul Revere image with the North Church behind it, I can't think of a better icon for the city of Boston.

I really think the wording shouldn't be changed too much, at least this time. This would be East's first challenge coin, and the idea of it being a sister coin to Prime feels right

BaconSandwich on
    PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
  • Options
    xibalbaxibalba Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How about this for the front?
    spiny_shell.jpg

xibalba on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mmm, broken image - the symbol of so much nerdy computer stuff...

But now that I've figured out what you actually linked, man FUCK the blue shell.

Nothing personal, it's a good idea, but I mean... I dunno about anyone else but I hate the blue shell with an intense passion. It's the symbol for everything that's wrong with Mario Kart - punish the guy who's actually doing well at the game. I can't count how many duels have been won/lost based on one guy getting the blue shell and just waiting until 5s before the end of the race and BAM. Cheeeeap.

So anyway, <3 this idea paprinny, and thanks so much for stepping up again. As an ignorant Canadian, I'll be damned if I know enough about Boston to contribute to that side of the coin, but I like the idea of a D20 instead of a DS for this coin - something to set it apart from the Prime coin, you know?

Imperfect on
  • Options
    xibalbaxibalba Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ^^ yea thats true i guess it does it justice seeing that the link is broken :D

xibalba on
  • Options
    BionicLegsBionicLegs Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    I definitely like the antique nickel finish the best, but then, I've always been of the opinion that silver-hued metals look classier than golden-hued ones. I'm also pretty much in agreement with the majority thus far on the coins images, Paul Revere on one side, a d20 wreathed by dice on the other. Just sounds like a winner.

BionicLegs on
  • Options
    ValantineValantine Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    One if by LAN two if by Wii.....

I Feel the front should remain unchanged. The design is magnificent!
    the little pac men and "Welcome Home "...Love it.

using the same design for the front of the East coin would also give a feeling of unity between the two conventions.
    As for the back, I like the Idea of Paul Revere's midnight ride.
    I think most everyone can associate the image with Boston.
    Check out the back for the American Numismatic Association’s 119th anniversary coin.
    would work great modified for PAX EAST, though I would remove the rays that surround the moon and the bottom signature for simplicity and added room for text.
    http://www.coinnews.net/2010/06/13/paul-reveres-midnight-ride-featured-on-2010-ana-medal/

Valantine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
  • Options
    <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd like to echo the sister coin sentiment already mentioned in the thread. I can't really explain why but, like Bacon Sandwich said, it just feels right.

A few points I'd like to bring up (or at least consolidate):

-The Prime coin had an excellent design, hands down. If we are to emulate it, what changes would people like to make? Rather, how similar do we want this coin to feel to the Prime coin? Is the template solid enough that we could swap out the images for a more Boston centric feel or would we like to overhaul the core design of the coin? Personally, I rather like the current design but given the compressed time frame for Prime, I feel it might not be exactly perfect . We've got time to toss about ideas now!

-What are everyone's thoughts on individual numbering? It seems to be fairly affordable (.10 a piece) and would be a great way to personalize the coins. I've not really fleshed out this idea yet but it was just a thought I had while skimming over USCC's site.

-While the milled edge does feel great on the hands (I'm a very tactile person), I agree that it was kinda superfluous. Hell, even USCC seems to dislike it. I can't really make a case for any sort of edging as it doesn't really add too terribly much to the coin. Granted, I'm not too attached to my anti-edge position so I wouldn't be bothered if someone REALLY wanted one.

-While I realize that the D20 is a great nerd icon, I'm hesitant to suggest it too. The DS was chosen for its connection to the PAX community and not just for its nerd cred. I think we ought to think along those lines for the obverse. (Of course, I did see the thread for the PAX community logo. I think that'd be a winner.)

I'm sure I'll have more to discuss later but that's a good-ish start. I made the mistake of not really getting involved last time as I feared I wouldn't have enough money to actually afford one anyway. Thanks to the generosity everyone who donated to the fund, I was able to get one anyway. I'm totally stoked to see this continue.

One more thing for Zero Hour from the Prime thread:
    Remind me to give Jerry a coin from my unit next East.... I know alot of the guys in my squadron are big PA fans, and one of them has a FF Tattoo, and another has a CTS tattoo.

I never knew that he was into them or Id've brought them with me this time, I have a box of them since I helped design them....]

Consider yourself reminded.

<Omicron-8643> on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    THanks Omicron

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    WizMasterWizMaster Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is really cool. I have to agree with keeping the obverse the same with a different reverse. The Paul Revere picture was very good so I vote for that. Either way, this is pretty cool.

WizMaster on
  • Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I definitely say antique nickel or black nickel for the finish/plating.

As for the imagery - I am in favor of a D20. Personally, I don't even own a DS, and I spent the majority of my time at PAX:E 2010 playing various D&D games. I think above all, the D20 would serve to differentiate the East coin from the Prime coin.

As far as Paul Revere - I think it's a pretty good start, but I agree with others who are concerned about how it would look on a coin. The Constitution is an excellent choice, I think, hinting at the military background of the challenge coin while also being pretty Bostonian.

I also agree with the sentiment of no neckbeards. Along the same lines, I would avoid "desecrating" a known statue, as you put it, by adding in a DS/D20. The Prime coin wasn't played for laughs - it is a very handsome looking coin. I don't see Godzilla attacking the space needle. The humor of "Don't be a dick" in latin is enough for me. Speaking of which, I'm all for a Gaelic inscription on the East coin. I am not Irish, and I don't find it offensive in the least.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This city really isn't that Irish and having a creed in Latin just seems to make sense. I agree with the idea of having the one side of the coin be the same for both cities to tie them together or simply replacing the DS with a D20.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    Arithon32Arithon32 Member of the Pinquisition Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like swapping the DS for a D20 and going with the Paul Revere statue on the back

Arithon32 on
    vru37z14gk5j.png

• Options
    edited September 2010
    I still stand by the fact that Fenway is a big part of Boston, since the red sox are one of the oldest teams in baseball. However most paxers not being sports fans I can see why no one else would want it on the coin.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    Ferris007Ferris007 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    One if by LAN two if by Wii.....

That's awesome. :lol:

Ferris007 on