As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mini-phalla] Acantha - Requiem (Possessed Win!)

BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Critical Failures
Now presenting…

title.jpg
A Burnage Phalla

This has been the longest day of your life.

It began like any other. You, a citizen of Acantha – a small city in England – woke to find yourself slightly bored. You hadn’t slept well, for some reason; your dreams felt like they were filled with all the things you hate your dreams being filled with. Spiders, knives, dark caves, blood, falling – whatever your poison, you were glad to be awake.

Until you looked out the window, that is.

The sky, normally a calm blue at that time of day, was a twisted red, flecked with specks of darkness. The sun – if that was what it was – seemed larger than normal, a cruel violet orb against a bloodied background. You could hear screaming in the distance – not loud enough to wake you, but enough for you to hear if you were trying to notice it.

What the hell was going on?

You checked any methods you had of finding out without leaving your home, to no avail. Your mobile phone had no signal. The television was dead, pure static flashing out at you from the depressingly illuminated screen. Your router flashed sadly, as it waited to connect to an internet it could not find.

Then you tried your radio. The crackling noise of dead air was all you heard at first, but then, suddenly, a voice in the darkness;

“-re hearing this, please leave your homes as quickly as possible. This is Marc Romney of Arcane FM, Acantha’s favourite radio station, and I am telling you all to stay in your homes. To recap for those who’ve just tuned in… I think we’ve gone to hell. I shit you not, listeners, there are fucking demons on the streets of Acantha this morning. Actual fucking demons! With horns and shit!”

The radio’s message left you feeling… strange. This had to be a practical joke of some kind, surely? Demons being real was ridiculous – but then, you’d seen the world outside…

“Don’t even try to flee the city, listeners, because an honest-to-God wall of fire has surrounded us! Where has it come from? Where have the bloody demons come from? I don’t even know! What I do know is this; if anyone wants to feel secure in a large group, Arcane FM’s Broadcast Station is the designated meeting point for all Acantha citizens! Leave your homes as quickly as possible, get the hell down here, and together we can sit this out…”

You weren’t hearing any better suggestions.

It was a fairly uneventful journey to the radio station’s building. The streets were abandoned, cars littering the roads sadly. You took a few shortcuts, and arrived at what you hoped would be rescue – or at least relative safety.

The only thing you found was chaos.

The building was in ruins, surrounded by a horde of fighting figures. As you got closer to the brawl, you realised; the broadcaster hadn’t been lying.

There really were demons, they were in your city, and they were currently attempting to eat your neighbours. You really couldn’t stand for that.

You charged, joining the fray with an enthusiasm that surprised yourself. The fight was long; you were in no mood to count in detail, but you guessed that there were maybe a hundred still standing when you arrived, and as you fought more men and women joined the fray. By the time the fight was over, the corpses of both demons and humans lay draped across the rubble of what used to be Acantha’s radio station.

Maybe thirty of you were still left standing.

You didn’t know what was going on or what was happening, but you knew three things; you couldn’t trust anything, you had to figure out what the hell was going on, and most importantly – you had to keep moving.

It’s hell on the streets of Acantha.
What's this?

This is a phalla for 30 people, also known as a mini-phalla.

Phalla? What's that?

The forum's version of the party game, Mafia. See here for more details. General rules apply, including no anonymous contact between players, no direct quoting of role PMs, etc. I don't care about paraphrasing or mafioso quoting role PMs to each other. If you set up an off-site proboard, please PM me the link to it.

Every day you must vote for a player who you suspect to be a member of the possessed. Please !vote in red and !retract in lime. Retractions are not necessary; only your last vote will be counted.

Days will end at midnight, GMT... mostly.

It's a demonic apocalypse combined with Burnage. What's the twist?

Several. The rules for this game are relatively complicated and mostly public, so please read this OP in full.

This is a HP-based game. Every player, by default, starts with 100 HP. Should a player reach 0 HP, they will die. Both default maximum HP and the fate of a player reaching 0 HP can be altered by choosing various perks, detailed below.

Perks? What are those when they're at home?

There are no standard village specials. Instead, when signing up, every player should also send me a PM choosing one of the following character backgrounds:

Backgrounds:
Alcoholic - Tough and Willpower perks receive a bonus.
Army Officer - All players in your group receive a 10% reduction in damage taken from NPCs.
Athlete - Quick and Tough perks receive a bonus.
Bartender - Molotov cocktails receive a damage bonus. Chances of your group finding items in a bar or nightclub are raised.
Chef - Meat Cleavers and Knives receive a significant damage bonus.
Chemist - May find special item, explosives.
Criminal - Allows you to simultaneously attack and use the steal ability granted by the Thief perks.
Detective - Ranged attacks receive a damage bonus.
Doctor - Medic perks receive a bonus.
Fencer - Melee attacks receive a damage bonus.
Forensic Scientist - May examine corpses to find out how they were killed.
Kickboxer - Unarmed attacks receive a damage bonus.
Motivational Speaker - Leadership perks receive a bonus.
Nurse - Medic skills receive a small bonus. Chances of your group finding items in a hospital are slightly raised.
Police Officer - Allows you to nominate another player in your group each night. You will take damage instead of them. Police batons also receive a damage bonus.
Priest - Chances of your group finding items in a church are raised.
Rockstar - Guitars recieve a significant damage bonus. Chances of your group finding items in a bar or nightclub are slightly raised.
Scientist - Prototype Revolvers receive a significant damage bonus. Chances of your group finding items in a University are raised.
Shopkeeper - Chances of your group finding items in a retail area are raised.
Tramp - Thief and Scavenger perks receive a bonus.

And, in addition, two of the following perks:

Offensive Perks:

Leadership I - All players in your group receive a 25% damage bonus.
Leadership II - All players in your group receive a 50% damage bonus.
Melee I - Melee weapons do double damage in your hands.
Melee II - Melee weapons do triple damage.
Ranged I - Ranged weapons do double damage.
Ranged II - Ranged attacks do triple damage.
Unarmed I - Unarmed attacks do double damage.
Unarmed II - Unarmed attacks do triple damage, and hit twice.

Defensive Perks:
Endure I - The first time you are reduced to 0 HP (and aren't carrying pills), you will automatically be returned to 1 HP.
Endure II - The first time you are reduced to 0 HP (and aren't carrying pills), your health will recover completely.
Medic I - Can heal a player for 50 HP without a medkit.
Medic II - Medkits will restore a player's health completely.
Reversal I - If attacked by another player, you will automatically counter-attack using your most powerful weapon.
Reversal II - If attacked by another player, you will counter-attack using your most powerful weapon at double damage.
Tough I - 50 extra HP to your max health.
Tough II - 100 extra HP to your max health.
Willpower I - The first 10 HP of damage you receive each night is ignored.
Willpower II - The first 20 HP of damage you receive each night is ignored.

Miscellaneous Perks:
Quick I - Receive an additional first strike against NPCs.
Quick II - May use an item in addition to attacking either NPCs or another player each night.
Scavenger I - Raises odds of finding a weapon or item each night.
Scavenger II - Further raises odds of finding a weapon or item each night.
Thief I - Can steal an item from another player each night.
Thief II - Can steal a total of two items from another player each night.

Note that level II of any perk also requires level I. Bar Medic II, level II perks also make their level I counterpart redundant (i.e., if you take Tough I and Tough II, you will only receive 100 extra HP, not 150).

Damage bonuses from the above perks and backgrounds stack in a multiplicative manner. If a player takes the perks Leadership I and Melee I, for instance, melee attacks will do ((100% x 2) x 25%) = 250% their normal damage.

There are no survivors with special abilities or powers. There are, however, possessed survivors, who are at odds with the objective of the majority of players. Note that the possessed players will be allocated and informed as such at the start of the game; there are no mid-game conversions. Upon finding out that they are possessed, a player may pick an additional trait from the following list:

Possessed Traits:
Berserk - Grants you an extra action which causes all your attacks to deal double damage on the night it is used. This extra action has a cooldown of 1 day.
Call of Azazel - Once per game, you may perform a blood ritual to summon a powerful NPC demon. This ritual will inflict 50 HP damage to yourself on the night it is used. Note that the strength of the demon will depend upon the amount of death that has taken place in the game so far.
Disguise - NPCs will attack you, and you may attack them, as if you were a standard player.
Ethereal Form - The first 10 HP of damage you receive each night is ignored. Stacks with Willpower perks.
Herald of Eurynome - The deaths of others will empower you. Once 10 players have died, you will receive a significant upgrade to your abilities.
Siren - Higher chance that NPCs will attack the group you are a member of.
Slick - May use a fireball attack as an extra action each night, which inflicts 40 damage upon its target.
Trickster - Lowers the chance of your group, but not yourself, finding weapons and items.
Vampire - All damage you inflict, be it on players or NPCs, will restore that amount of HP to yourself.
Wail of the Damned - Once per game, you may emit a cry that will cause all NPCs that night to target the group that you are a member of.

Please note that you will be informed if you are possessed or not after you have chosen your initial background and perks, and that you will not be allowed to alter those initial choices. You may want to bear that in mind when making your selections.

Every player will have an inventory, and each night every player has a (low) chance of finding new items. These items may be used by any player, and are as follows:
Melee Weapons:
Knife - 7 damage
Cricket Bat - 7 damage
Police Baton - 7 damage
Guitar - 8 damage
Crowbar - 9 damage
Fire Axe - 10 damage
Meat Cleaver - 12 damage
Machete - 15 damage
Chain Whip - 15 damage
Chainsaw - 30 damage

Ranged Weapons:

BB Pistol - 7 damage
BB Rifle - 8 damage
Handgun - 20 damage
Service Revolver - 22 damage
Bolt Action Rifle - 25 damage
Shotgun - 25 damage
Combat Shotgun - 25 damage
Assault Rifle - 30 damage
Magnum Rifle - 40 damage
"Electric Blitz" Prototype Revolver - 40 damage

Items:
Medkit - Heals 50 HP to target, including yourself.
Pills - If holder drops to 0 HP, these will instantly and automatically be used to regain 30 HP. Passive.
Grenade - Deals 60 damage to target. Can be used against players or NPCs.
Molotov Cocktail - Deals 50 damage to another player, or removes a wave of standard NPCs that night.
Reinforced Vest - Prevents 10 HP of damage each night. Stacks with Willpower perks and Ethereal Form traits. Passive.
Explosives - May only be found by chemists. Deals 150 damage to a single target.

Note that ranged weapons are significantly rarer than melee weapons, although the odds of finding any item will depend upon the location that you're in that night. Players will be informed of their location in narration, and normally will automatically move to a new location on a following night. Some days may feature a vote to choose which location to head towards.

By default, players begin the game with no items in their inventory - although night 0 counts as a night that players may find an item. Unarmed players may attack using their fists, for a default damage of 5.

Inventories have no size limitations. Trading is possible, and is performed by the player holding the item to be traded PMing me and telling me who it is to be delivered to whilst CCing the recipient. Trading is to be considered instantaneous, and does not require the consent of the receptive player.

You're only going to survive this through teamwork...

To stay safe, you may (and should) form groups to travel in. At the start of the game, you should organise yourselves into groups of five. Give your team a snappy name, co-ordinate with each other to maximise your demon-killing potential, then PM me to let me know your group details. Each player may only be a member of a single group at a time.

If and when several members of your group have died, you may opt to join another group. Group names and membership lists will be completely public, so you will know if another group has a vacancy for you - groups may never have more than five players in them at once.

Teamwork! So what actions can I perform each night?

By default, each player will be fending off the waves of demons swarming towards their group. All members of a group attacking the wave fire their weapons first, then the demons attack. Repeat until all demons are dead. Should you wish to attack the NPC demons each night, you don't need to inform me.

Alternatively, you can choose one of the following actions.

Attack target - Pick a player, and use your weapon (or fists!) on him.
Use item - Note that all items except the Reinforced Vest are one-use only.
Heal target - Requires Medic perks.
Steal - Requires Thief perks.
Investigate - Requires Forensic Scientist background.
Guard target - Requires Police Officer background.
Berserk - Requires Berserk possessed trait.
Summon - Requires Call of Azazel possessed trait.
Incinerate - Requires Slick possessed trait.
Scream - Requires Wail of the Damned possessed trait.

Demons, huh? Tell me more about them...

Each night, as you travel from location to location, you will be attacked by waves of demons. These demons are not player controlled (NPCs). Specifics of both demons and player-versus-NPC combat are detailed below; the number of waves that will attack each night shall be made public.
There are six types of demon that you're likely to encounter through your journey:
1.jpg
Ukobach
The Possessed

Travelling in large groups, these demons are fairly weak individually - as weak as demons get, anyway. As their teeth and claws rend into human flesh, they have a tendency to make sobbing noises - almost as if they were mournful of their heinous actions.

Attack damage: 10
Health points: 5
Average group size: 10

2.jpg
Deumus
The Demoness

Exclusively and obviously female, these wretched creatures seem to have a preference for male victims. A flash of thigh, a fanged smile, and a rapid slash have been the undoing of too many survivors. They taunt their enemies in a curiously Irish accent.

Attack damage: 10
Health points: 10
Average group size: 8

3.jpg
Naberius
The Destroyer

Slow, silent, and clad in armour that seems to writhe around them, these demons represent a significant danger to a hasty survivor. They are said, by the few survivors to have encountered them previously, to emit a scent like ripe oranges.

Attack damage: 15
Health points: 20
Average group size: 7

4.jpg
Semiazas
The Enslaver

The survivors only speak of this creature in whispered tones. Unlike all other demons, it is rumoured that when this monstrosity kills, its victim is forced into fighting as a puppet for its new master. Other demons might take your life, but this one will steal your very soul.

Attack damage: 20
Health points: 15
Average group size: 10
Survivors killed by a Semiazas will be resurrected as an NPC Fallen Survivor that night, and will automatically attack their former group.

5.jpg
Anamalech
The Canoness

This faceless horror has been encountered rarely by survivors; the tales of her suggest she is a beast unmatched in strength by any other demon. It is cause for concern, perhaps, that all of those who claim to have fought this demon bear horrific injuries - and only survived by fleeing for their lives, leaving their loved ones to die.

Attack damage: Unknown
Health points: Unknown
Average group size: Unknown

6.jpg
Eurynome
The Nightmare

Chatters amongst the dark gibber out this name, this evil name "Eurynome". Some survivors claim that the mad ranting of the Possessed contains the repeated phrase "The Nightmare is coming, and all will end."
Whatever it is that's controlling this Apocalypse, you're eventually going to have to face it down.

Attack damage: Unknown
Health points: Unknown
Average group size: Unknown
I think I need an example of combat...

Sure.
Let's take a simple example: five unarmed survivors, all with 100 HP, against a group of 10 Ukobachs.

The survivors attack first, dealing a total of 25 damage (five survivors dealing five unarmed damage each), which kills 5 Ukobachs (as they have 5 health each).

The five demons still alive then attack, dealing a total of 50 damage (five Ukobachs dealing 10 damage each) - so 10 damage to each survivor. Each survivor now has 90 HP left.

The survivors then attack again, killing all the demons. Victory!

Note that combat is resolved so that damage dealt by the survivors kills as many demons as possible each round, whereas damage dealt by the demons is evenly distributed to the survivors.

That's a lot of rules, Burnage. What do I have to do to win?

If you're a survivor; survive until the end of day six without dying.

If you're a member of the possessed; ensure all survivors die by the end of day six.

As a warning, some of you may have slight variations upon these win conditions - so don't automatically assume that someone who doesn't share your exact win condition is lying to you.

Any further questions can be called into the Emergency Services Hot-line in orange.

Emergency Hot-line recordings so far:
Capfalcon wrote: »
So, to kick this Burnage Phalla off right...

Can you use the Medic Perk on yourself?

Also, do actions occur before, simulations with, or after combat?

You can use the Medic perk on yourself, yes.

Action timings vary. Guards and actions which alter NPC behaviour happen before combat, thefts happen after combat, heals and item usage happen simultaneously with combat.

Also, what happens after Day 6?

Something very good, or something very bad, depending on your point of view.

The Events
Day One (Adagio)
Day Two (Crescendo)
Day Three (Solo)
Day Four (Cadenza)
Day Five (Remix)
Day Six (Finale)

Player List
  1. Dunadan019 - Detective, died day three
  2. Egos - Fencer, died day four
  3. Capfalcon - Motivational Speaker, died day three
  4. Zandracon
  5. jimtopia - Fencer, died day two
  6. Phyphor - Kickboxer, died day two
  7. The Cow King
  8. samurai6966 - Fencer, died day five
  9. Rainfall - Rockstar, died day three
  10. The Anonymous - Alcoholic, died day two
  11. Sir Fabulous - Fencer, died day four
  12. Lucedes
  13. DJP3710 - Army Officer, died day three
  14. CaptainPlanet82 - Nurse, died day two
  15. Ringo - Kickboxer, died day one
  16. Psolms - Motivational Speaker, died day four
  17. REG Rysk - Forensic Scientist, died day one
  18. Green - Chemist, died day four
  19. lonelyahava
  20. Cleonicus - Fencer, died day two
  21. Alegis - Kickboxer, died day one
  22. Mordroth - Scientist, died day one
  23. Kay - Army Officer, died day two
  24. romanqwerty
  25. ronrab - Motivational Speaker, died day five
  26. Ebfan - Possessed Army Officer, died day two
  27. simonwolf - Kias
  28. Megatin
  29. mascara305 - Possessed Army Officer, died day four
  30. kime - Doctor, died day two

Reserves
jdarksun
LoserForHireX
Kias
El Skid
godmode

Burnage on

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    confirming first!

Dunadan019 on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Surviving the Apocalypse is always more fun with friends around.

Egos on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Confirmed for a brawl!

Capfalcon on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Doot.

Zandracon on
  • jimtopiajimtopia Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am intrigued.

jimtopia on
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh god the skylazors are going to get us... again

Phyphor on
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ohyesss

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I really shouldn't sign up, I've got a whole ton of work and stuff...

But on the other hand, it's a Burnage phalla, and it's crazy apocalyptic demons!

Burnage, what should I do?

Rainfall on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rainfall wrote: »

But on the other hand, it's a Burnage phalla, and it's crazy apocalyptic demons!

You should totally sign up.

Burnage on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Capfalcon on
  • samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They sacrificed unto devils, not to God; to gods whom they knew not, to new [gods that] came newly up, whom your fathers feared not. - Deuteronomy 32:17

samurai6966 on
    edited September 2010
    Capfalcon wrote: »

You can use the Medic perk on yourself, yes.

Action timings vary. Guards and actions which alter NPC behaviour happen before combat, thefts happen after combat, heals and item usage happen simultaneously with combat.

Burnage on
    edited September 2010
    Burnage wrote: »

You should totally sign up.

Well alright, then.

29857684.jpg

Rainfall on
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Let's see what happens when I do this...

The Nightmare is coming, and all will end.

The Anonymous on
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Confirming.

And I'm recruiting for team Hubris. Pride comes before the fall (of demons).

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    !Yes.

time to read the OP, then.

Lucedes on
    edited September 2010
    Team Skullfuck
    Leader - Rainfall(Me!)
    Capfalcon(Awesome!)
    DJP3710(Newbie!)
    Turkson(Hasn't read the OP!)

Rainfall on
  • DJP3710DJP3710 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    First Phalla is a Burnage Phalla. Should be fun.

DJP3710 on
    edited September 2010
    Oh man DJ you have no idea

Rainfall on
    edited September 2010
    TEAM PANCAKE REPRESENT

The Anonymous on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I liked her mystery novels.

But too busy to sign up. For Burnage Phalla.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited September 2010

Burnage on
  • samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DJP3710 wrote: »
    First Phalla is a Burnage Phalla. Should be fun.

You just walked into a phalla were the host is famous for things like glovefucking, Homing Vlads, and Skylasers. YOU JUST FUCKED UP!

samurai6966 on
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sure

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
    edited September 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    I liked her mystery novels.

But too busy to sign up. For Burnage Phalla.

But B:L you have to be the quirky guy on someone's team who we all know is gonna die at some point but has a few good one liners and really is kind of an extra character but eventually sacrifices himself for the good of the team .... Its your destiny.

Egos on
    edited September 2010

Does the game end at that point?

The Anonymous on
    edited September 2010

Does the game end at that point?

Yes.

Burnage on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Signup?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited September 2010
    Ringo is the guy who will attempt to bargain with the demons only to be eaten :I

Egos on
    edited September 2010
    I offer up a group proposal, ladies and gents.

A group of 'Find shit and beat demons to death with it'

Needing a Nurse, a Priest, a Shopkeeper, and a Scientist to maximize odds of finding shit in any given location. Scavenger Perks recommended!

Our best defense is having weapons and healing items!

Alternate strategies are acceptable, but if you want to get in with a group that has a strategery, well hey let's do this.

Rainfall on
    edited September 2010
    If you could get your character build in within 24 hours of you signing up or confirming your sign up, I'd appreciate it. Just so you all know.

Burnage on
    edited September 2010
    Do background bonuses only apply if one has the relevant perks?

The Anonymous on
    edited September 2010
    That seems relatively obvious, for background bonuses that pertain to perks, yes.

Rainfall on
    edited September 2010
    For background bonuses that pertain to perks, yes.

Burnage on
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ahhh, memories of cyberpunk come flooding back.

psolms on
    edited September 2010
    Anonymous, you should totally take Criminal. You can steal without taking the thief perk ;-)

Egos on
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    !Confirmed.

LFG?

REG Rysk on
    edited September 2010
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    !Confirmed.

LFG?

I believe me and Sir Fabulous have already offered to start groups.

Rainfall on
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is the bonus damage for bonus damage backgrounds multiplied by Melee/Ranged/Unarmed perks?

Lucedes on
    edited September 2010
    Lucedes wrote: »
    Is the bonus damage for bonus damage backgrounds multiplied by Melee/Ranged/Unarmed perks?
    Damage bonuses from the above perks and backgrounds stack in a multiplicative manner. If a player takes the perks Leadership I and Melee I, for instance, melee attacks will do ((100% x 2) x 25%) = 250% their normal damage.

Rainfall on