As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MINECRAFT - Build to the sky, Dig to the depths. Join the masses.

• VicVic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Literally make underdark nothing but dirt and rock sandwiched between two layers of adminium.

There should be a small surface world at least. With say 20 layers of dirt and sky, then a layer of bedrock with holes here and there to allow a few accesss points to the Underdark.

The problem is that the map is infinite in all directions. The caves are now up to level 90, which would leave 30 levels for the surface but then if people went beyond the premade area of the underdark it would drop down to normal level and you can be sure that someone is going to run off in a random direction and explore 50 MB worth of the world and reduce the server performance with useless stuff.

Vic on
  • EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No one likes the rivers? :(

Estilo is sads

Estilo on
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Estilo wrote: »

Estilo is sads

I like rivers, I thought you did nice. I made a cave diving experience once, so surely you can understand I empathize and only just came across your post just now.

Hopefully one day creeks, rivers, and ocean currents will be something Notch has in, just so we can die more along with all the other wonderful death traps I hope he adds to Survival. 8-)

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    I saw someone using Wood and flint and tinder to make a lighthouse top, so I tried to mimic that on my single player for a big watchtower.

Is it just my winter map, or should these be burning a lot longer? They only lasted a few moments.

It takes a few tries to get wood to burn permanently. I got my fireplace working by putting four wood blocks down and igniting two opposite corners (the X's) and then igniting the O's. Took a few tries.

XO
    OX

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
    edited September 2010
    Vic wrote: »
    Literally make underdark nothing but dirt and rock sandwiched between two layers of adminium.

There should be a small surface world at least. With say 20 layers of dirt and sky, then a layer of bedrock with holes here and there to allow a few accesss points to the Underdark.

The problem is that the map is infinite in all directions. The caves are now up to level 90, which would leave 30 levels for the surface but then if people went beyond the premade area of the underdark it would drop down to normal level and you can be sure that someone is going to run off in a random direction and explore 50 MB worth of the world and reduce the server performance with useless stuff.

So make a map that has walls of bedrock top to bottom marking the boundaries of the world. Players wouldn't be able to explore beyond that boundary. Just make it big enough that it's not viewable for a reasonable distance away from the center of the map.

SkyCaptain on
    edited September 2010

Estilo is sads

I like rivers, I thought you did nice. I made a cave diving experience once, so surely you can understand I empathize and only just came across your post just now.

Hopefully one day creeks, rivers, and ocean currents will be something Notch has in, just so we can die more along with all the other wonderful death traps I hope he adds to Survival. 8-)

Yay!

I have yet to try a boat out on them, but eventually I want to expand the river in the first set of pictures in to subterranean rapids.

Estilo on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    what i would like is for survival to get a bit more survival-y - add fatigue, hunger/thirst, etc.

i would also like for all blocks to be affected by gravity in some way or another, so that floating islands are impossible and structures require suitable support to remain standing.

this of course would be a massive change to the way the game generates terrain and structures, and would require a lot of time and testing. it would probably also invalidate all previously generated maps.

Evil Multifarious on
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

You'd need some surface or else you're not going to have trees or grass.

mrflippy on
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Spawn in a tree. Tada.

Even better, put it in some remote location. The residents have to go on a dangerous, weaponless quest to find the world's only tree to have a shot at survival.

Mars on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Woohoo, I got NBT Forge and MC Edit working.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This game is ridiculously addictive. Finally settled on a snowy map and started to build a cabin, but no idea where I'm going from there.

Can I get an invite to the steam group?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/chasehatesbears

chasehatesbears on
    edited September 2010
    what i would like is for survival to get a bit more survival-y - add fatigue, hunger/thirst, etc.

i would also like for all blocks to be affected by gravity in some way or another, so that floating islands are impossible and structures require suitable support to remain standing.

this of course would be a massive change to the way the game generates terrain and structures, and would require a lot of time and testing. it would probably also invalidate all previously generated maps.

He should add in a new block then that defies gravity so that aerial structures can still be built, but at great cost through.

SkyCaptain on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Its now 5am. been playing since 7pm. for first time in years my hand actually started to cramp. I spent about an hour and a half trying to find the exit to an insanely lucrative cave. Finished my Fort. Are you guys just print screening for the images?

Big Classy on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm trying to plan shit out but it's a pain in the ass having to clear out mountains and stuff. Is there a way to start on just a flat map?

PolloDiablo on
    edited September 2010
    I'm trying to plan shit out but it's a pain in the ass having to clear out mountains and stuff. Is there a way to start on just a flat map?

Yeah, but that's cheating. Earn your flat land!

SkyCaptain on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

With an editor you can start with a flat or empty map, yes.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Howlin' Mad MurphyHowlin' Mad Murphy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I started a new map, it ended up being a snow world which is nice for a change. So far its been a lot of mountains with exposed water and lava springs and a huge ice covered ocean. I think I'm gonna try to make a snow castle, assuming torches and fire don't turn it into a puddle.

Howlin' Mad Murphy on
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    I demand membership to your club!

And by that I mean, invite to the Steam group please?

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197980278914

God this game is addictive.

Shivahn on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

He should add in a new block then that defies gravity so that aerial structures can still be built, but at great cost through.

He's already thought about this (don't know if it's planned so much as theorized): floating islands would require obsidian veins in them in order to float.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Yeah, but that's cheating. Earn your flat land!

I suppose. I'm just not even sure how much land I'll need yet. Still, no pain, no gain.

PolloDiablo on
    edited September 2010
    Use paint or some other graphics program to lay out your building foundations pixel by pixel for each square.

SkyCaptain on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I finally got annoyed by not finding any dungeons despite actively searching for them. Used cartograph to get a general idea of where they're at, and mcedit to get a more specific one. Not a single dungeon on my map connects to any natural caves. They're all surrounded by miles of stone with 0 way of finding them other then blind luck while digging.

DeShadowC on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Barrabas wrote: »
    I just finished making a nice little obsidian farm. It's a pretty simple building, but for whatever reason I like it a lot.
    of1lg.png

of2v.png

of3.png

Just noticed the cow stuck in the water vortex I inadvertently created. We'll call that a feature of the building.

Now ... to go find some diamond to remake my lost diamond pick. Stupid Creepers.

How exactly does this concept work? Dont you have to constantly restock the lava every time it turns into obsidian?

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    eelektrik wrote: »
    I just finished making a nice little obsidian farm. It's a pretty simple building, but for whatever reason I like it a lot.
    of1lg.png

of2v.png

of3.png

Just noticed the cow stuck in the water vortex I inadvertently created. We'll call that a feature of the building.

Now ... to go find some diamond to remake my lost diamond pick. Stupid Creepers.

How exactly does this concept work? Dont you have to constantly restock the lava every time it turns into obsidian?

not if he's somehow gotten a lava spring to reach the ocean

that's a clever setup

though obsidian still takes way too goddamned long to mine

Rust on
  • temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just picked up this game yesterday, and needless to say I'm loving it. It keeps managing to surprise me too. I've basically been just building some mountainside resorts for myself and crafting new resources, and while searching for some iron, I stumble into a huge cave. I decide to stock up on torches (and my new iron sword) and explore. As I get deeper into the cave, I notice some fire already in the distance and I slowly approach. it turns out a zombie is living down here, I kill him and notice he's got a chest. It just has some basic items inside, but to me this little encounter made the game so much better. I know these encounters are probably old news by now, but just figure I'd share.
    minecraft_secretcave.jpg

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    So I finally got annoyed by not finding any dungeons despite actively searching for them. Used cartograph to get a general idea of where they're at, and mcedit to get a more specific one. Not a single dungeon on my map connects to any natural caves. They're all surrounded by miles of stone with 0 way of finding them other then blind luck while digging.

I just looked into this cartograph program. Holy shit you can map your caves! You can map your land!

I'm sure this thing is old news to everyone else but this is cool as shit.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »

I just looked into this cartograph program. Holy shit you can map your caves! You can map your land!

I'm sure this thing is old news to everyone else but this is cool as shit.

I just used it to show green moss blocks and tab between that and a standard overhead map. I have no clue what all it can do.

@temperature! You've found a dungeon, ironically enough what we're talking about. Mine up those green moss bricks you can't get them anywhere else.

DeShadowC on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    of1lg.png

of2v.png

of3.png

that's a clever setup

as far as I know, when the lava turns to obsidian, it becomes used up, so you need 1 bucket of lava per obsidian, making obsidian a non-renewable resource

Raneados on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    Rust wrote: »
    of1lg.png

of2v.png

of3.png

that's a clever setup

as far as I know, when the lava turns to obsidian, it becomes used up, so you need 1 bucket of lava per obsidian, making obsidian a non-renewable resource

Thats what I thought too, which defeats the purpose of a 'farm'

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Another teaser from the land of Underdark

The Underdark awaits...

underdarknext.jpg

(lightened up to better show detail)

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • dargondarkfiredargondarkfire wyomingRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    goofed around in single player a bit and made this.
    lavsfalls2.jpg
    lavsfalls1.jpg
    during the day i sit in my cave and hear the cries of animals as they hop into the lava
    during the night i hear the monsters scream in pain as they charge towards my cave into the lava.

the fire at the top is actually the remains of a tree which i built the first lava fall to close to, however its ended up becoming and endless double flamed giant torch and its just fit perfectly so win!

dargondarkfire on
    edited September 2010
    It took 15 minuets to render world 1 and spit out a 75mb .png file. Heh. I have traveled far.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Are you guys just print screening for the images?

That's what I did.

btw can someone please recommend a good tut on using red dust and logic gates?

Estilo on
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    alt + print screen puts an image of your current window on the clipboard!

if you don't want to get the rest of your desktop in there

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »

The Underdark awaits...

underdarknext.jpg

This looks bitchin'.

Hopefully it's more stable.

How long do we have to wait?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
    edited September 2010
    @nealcm: Handy! Thanks.

Estilo on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

The Underdark awaits...

underdarknext.jpg

Just a little inspiration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMQMYJ_uK4s
    btw can someone please recommend a good tut on using red dust and logic gates?

This one and the others are decent. Just mute the music. (or don't, I dont care)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBgkjRFtLoU

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That cave looks amazing.

I'm teetering on the brink of buying this, trying to talk some friends into coming with me ^^

Is it hard to host a server if my group of friends wanted to have one?

fadingathedges on
    edited September 2010
    For screenshots I've been using fraps and it works well. You start fraps, then minecraft, then whenever you want you just push F10 and it saves a screenshot to a folder that you specify. No copying or pasting.

It has a free version. http://www.fraps.com/download.php

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

The Underdark awaits...

underdarknext.jpg

This looks bitchin'.

Hopefully it's more stable.

How long do we have to wait?

Vic is working on it now. Some things need to be added, and Vic wants to tweak it for the purposes of starting up the community within the Underdark world (like spawn point, resources, etc).

It's up to him when he wants to release it, but he needs some time to set everything up and test it before unleashing the masses :)
    Kris_xK wrote:
    That very video was exactly what spurred me on to help Vic make this version of Underdark. And while it doesn't look exactly the same, it's certainly has a similar feel (especially with verticality).

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
This discussion has been closed.