As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

need a new phone... help me decide

cornlordcornlord Registered User regular
So right now i have a blackberry curve. This device makes me hate my life. There isn't an hour in the day when it doesn't give me the hourglass of doom and I have to reset it. I have Verizon right now and really want to stick with them. My "new every two" just came up and I really want to upgrade.

I was going to hold out for a Windows Phone 7 device cuz they are sweet, but with the recent news of wp7 not doing CDMA till 2011 some time i'm not sure if i can wait that long. Plus, with there being the possibility of 4G smartphones from verizon in 2011 this could be the perfect storm of epicness. If I could get a wp7 with 4G i don't know if there would be any other options for me.

Any thoughts out there? Should I just get an droid-line device ASAP or hold out for a mondo score?

midwestnerds.com - Gaming site for the masses.
We may be called the Midwest Nerds, but don't worry, we're not regionists.
cornlord on

• Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My droid phone is amazing (Galaxy S). Windows 7 is nice but I mean, droid.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The new Windows phone OS does look sweet -- but I just can't see it getting nearly the same support as droid and iphone. Plenty of options with android. I love my iPhone 4 but it remains to be seen if the years of rumors are finally coming true about Verizon (4g even) over the next few months (you mentioned liking Verizon)

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If I were in your position I would get their Samsung Galaxy S phone, is it the Fascinate? I can't remember who has what. But if you're willing to wait there is ALWAYS something newer and shinier coming. Always, and that's either a good thing or a bad thing depending how you look at it.

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The only reason I'm even tempted by the Win7 phones as a current android owner is due to the possibility of having the Zune Pass on my phone. Otherwise, I'm sticking with Android for the long term. The customability of ti (without even going to rooting) is really cool.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I have a couple of friends who have android devices. I've played around with them a bit and they seem pretty sweet.

cornlord on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If you care about that kind of thing, HTC is much friendlier about rooting their phones than Motorola or Samsung. Also, HTC runs something much closer to standard Android.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've had 2 HTC phones now (Eris on Verizon and G1 here in Portugal) and I love them both. I'll be looking at a Desire Z once they're not going for $Texas on ebay.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have a droid x and love it

haven't rooted it because honestly Android gives you about as much freedom out of the box as a jailbroken iPhone does anyway

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Simjanes2kSimjanes2k Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    HTC Incredible! Pure raw unadultered processing power, baby. 1 GHz Snapdragon, 8 megapixel vid/cam, verizon network and service, plus Android OS and market. Best phone I've ever owned!

Simjanes2k on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You'll probably enjoy life more ditching the dreaded thing right now and jump to android straight away.

HTC Desire, Droid X, HTC Incredible, Samsung Galaxy S etc all great phones.
    Some with a larger screen (Droid, Incredible, Evo), some with HTC Sense (which many seem to prefer over Samsung stuff), Galaxy S has the SAMOLED screen going for it which is better in direct sunlight and has gorilla glass (not sure which HTC phones also have GG).

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So basically what people are saying is that I shouldnt wait for a wp7 because I might not make it that long... I do want to end myself every time I try tweeting from my stupid blackberry. Maybe I'll just make the dive. There is that DROID 2 R2-D2 edition that gives me nerd-chills.

cornlord on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Everything I read about Windows Mobile 7 makes it look worse

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, Windows phone 7 looks like its going to be really good... eventually. I really do like the flat, 2D segmented UI approach. Its just missing a lot of features...

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    LilyLily Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Why don't you try android phones? They are awesome.

Lily on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You absolutely will not regret getting an Android device. I suggest going to a Verizon store and trying some devices out if you have one nearby. It'd help to know what's important to you in a phone before getting too deep into recommendations. If a physical keyboard is a must, then the Droid 2 is really the only option. I used to be like that, but I got over it after about a week with my X. I don't have a lot of experience with Sense, but I do like it more than Motoblur. However, I wouldn't use either of them over LauncherPro. You're going to be overwhelmed with the desire to customize the crap out of the phone, so don't get too hung up on developer UI's.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png