As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GSA] Girl Scouts proven to be Lesbian Anarchist Jesus Haters! More at 11.

13»

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I...I was in Indian Guides as a kid. Sigh...

Eh, it wasn't really all that bad. Once we graduated to Trailblazers, we went to Indiana Beach once a summer. Sure, it somehow coincided with the localized monsoons Indiana apparently has, but fun times were had regardless.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It really bothers me when I see someone disparage the whole organization and its' members.

Yeah man, that's how I feel about the Klan.

We're not all bad you know, just the overall leadership.

Oh wait, no.

It's hilarious that you take umbrage with people who judge an organization by its national policy and mission statement. Get over it.

Honestly, watch the BSA episode of Bullshit sometime. They take the organization to task while pointing out that some members and leaders are absolutely awesome.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    It really bothers me when I see someone disparage the whole organization and its' members.

Yeah man, that's how I feel about the Klan.

We're not all bad you know, just the overall leadership.

Oh wait, no.

It's hilarious that you take umbrage with people who judge an organization by its national policy and mission statement. Get over it.

Honestly, watch the BSA episode of Bullshit sometime. They take the organization to task while pointing out that some members and leaders are absolutely awesome.

I've never heard a critic of the BSA suggest that the members are all bad people.

So people who try to defend the shitty, discriminatory policies of the BSA by pointing to cool people within said organization are hardly addressing their critics.

Like, at all.

Which is not to accuse you of defending their policies, or Justin for that matter. Justin was just whining about how the criticism hurts his feelings, but his complaints are rather overly dramatic, since the criticism has always been about BSA policy, not "zomg those evil boy scouts".

The BSA annoys me particularly because of the manner in which they defend themselves. They are very quick to accuse their critics of every terrible thing under the sun, and they have used Congress as literal bullies to force their way into the public sphere even as they cling to their private status and the immunity it gives them from anti-discrimination laws.

So this is an organization that might be made up of decent people, but it is led by absolutely the worst sort of people.

So it doesn't get a pass, and I'm sorry the BSA uses kids as rhetorical human shields and chucks them in front of every criticism rightfully aimed at the larger organization. That's their doing.

Regina Fong on
  • JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Girls Scouts is an exclusive, sexist organization. When you buy Girl Scout cookies you are supporting an exclusive, sexist organization. Do not buy their products. They are hideously overpriced anyway.

Down with the Girl Scouts.

Hooters wouldn't let me be a waiter.

I thought those tight shorts looked great on me.

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Still think Venturing is the way to go. Got Eagle Scout through it, plus looked like a complete badass in front of girls during backpack trips.

Also, on the BSA, their national policies may be a little batshit crazy, but they tend to be more forward-thinking at the local level. Hell, my Scoutmaster was an aethiest, and no one cared, just as long as he got the job done.

Nirya on
    t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I'm technically an atheist, and I'm working on Eagle scout without any hitches. For some reason they're fine with Buddhism, despite the part of the mythology where it is pretty well stated that even the celestial Buddhas are not gods, let alone the historical Buddha himself denying any godhood. Silly discriminatory but encompassing and tolerant leadership.

Mortal Sky on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Judgement wrote: »
    The Girls Scouts is an exclusive, sexist organization. When you buy Girl Scout cookies you are supporting an exclusive, sexist organization. Do not buy their products. They are hideously overpriced anyway.

Hooters wouldn't let me be a waiter.

I thought those tight shorts looked great on me.

Buffalo Wild Wings (or B-dub as we like to call it) started curbstomping Hooters when it arrived. Ridiculous variety in wing flavor, less embarrassing uniforms, and less pressure to tip and cheaper too.

And now I made myself hungry.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Actually, guys can be Girl Scouts.

However, girls cannot be Boy Scouts.

Edit: Oh shit, beaten. GG reading the thread, Spec.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Nirya wrote: »
    Also, on the BSA, their national policies may be a little batshit crazy, but they tend to be more forward-thinking at the local level.

Not really, google returns many examples that run counter to this theory.

Hell, my Scoutmaster was an aethiest, and no one cared, just as long as he got the job done.

And one anonymous complaint and he won't be a scoutmaster anymore.

Regina Fong on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Girl Scout cookies are not overpriced. They are expensive because they are delicious.

I've got to get this off my chest;

I miss the old cookies. What the fuck, people? Sure the thin mints are tasty, but what happened to the boxes of simple chocolate and vanilla cookies?

And more to the point, who the fuck killed the peanut butter boxes? Those things were absurdly good!

... I'm sorry, I'm not sure where that came from.

Edit, okay, calmed down a little, and since someone will probably point it out, a quick google search shows that they sell all kinds of cookies all over the place. Must just be the local troops/bakeries or something. Though now that I think about it, I don't recall the last time I saw girl scouts selling anything anywhere. Boy scouts once in a while selling apples perhaps, but even that's pretty rare these days.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited September 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    Girl Scout cookies are not overpriced. They are expensive because they are delicious.

I've got to get this off my chest;

I miss the old cookies. What the fuck, people? Sure the thin mints are tasty, but what happened to the boxes of simple chocolate and vanilla cookies?

And more to the point, who the fuck killed the peanut butter boxes? Those things were absurdly good!

... I'm sorry, I'm not sure where that came from.

Edit, okay, calmed down a little, and since someone will probably point it out, a quick google search shows that they sell all kinds of cookies all over the place. Must just be the local troops/bakeries or something. Though now that I think about it, I don't recall the last time I saw girl scouts selling anything anywhere. Boy scouts once in a while selling apples perhaps, but even that's pretty rare these days.

Girl scouts no longer go door to door due to pedo fearmongering. You can find them setting up shop outside supermarkets sometimes, but most people get girl scout cookies through their co-workers who have scout daughters.

Regina Fong on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Girl scouts no longer go door to door due to pedo fearmongering. You can find them setting up shop outside supermarkets sometimes, but most people get girl scout cookies through their co-workers who have scout daughters.

Fair enough. According to the girl guides of Canada website, the traditional vanilla and chocolate cookies are sold during the spring. Just in time for me to fall off the wagon on this recent diet/fitness regimen. I guess my office just doesn't have many people with daughters in Guides, because I can't remember the last time someone tried selling them to the staff.

Anyway, sorry to drift off topic. Yay for girl guides (and their cookies), that pic in the OP is awesome and the people pushing this nonsense are in need of help.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Cedar BrownCedar Brown Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hirocon wrote: »
    How can the GSA simultaneously promote Islam, atheism, paganism AND Satanism?

I assume that the Islam bit is about atheism etc. destorying Christian motherhood thus paving the way for the rise of the Muslim demographic.

Or it's just more stupid shit.

Cedar Brown on
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hirocon wrote: »
    How can the GSA simultaneously promote Islam, atheism, paganism AND Satanism?

I assume that the Islam bit is about atheism etc. destorying Christian motherhood thus paving the way for the rise of the Muslim demographic.

Or it's just more stupid shit.

I really don't think you understand the mindset of these people. If their children do not believe in exactly what they believe they will go to hell. Satan is constantly tempting and tricking them into doing that. Therefor all other belief systems are actually the same belief system, the devil in disguise leading them to hell. really. Its the most insane and scary bullshit. But it's easy to get people to buy videos from you if you play into that fear.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    From a WND article on the subject:
    When many parents think of Girl Scouts, they imagine young girls in uniform selling Thin Mints and Tagalong cookies – not learning about stone labyrinths, world peace, global warming, yoga, avatars, smudging incense, Zen gardens and feminist, communist and lesbian role models.
    . . .
    For all of that crazy in the article, I still can't get over the first line. If there are people who think that selling cookies is all Girl Scouts do (or are supposed to do), that is the saddest thing.

Well obviously, they slave away in treehouse bakeshops being forced to make them too.

I mean they even look like keebler elves.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also, on the BSA, their national policies may be a little batshit crazy, but they tend to be more forward-thinking at the local level.

Not really, google returns many examples that run counter to this theory.

Hell, my Scoutmaster was an aethiest, and no one cared, just as long as he got the job done.

And one anonymous complaint and he won't be a scoutmaster anymore.

The people in it who are lovely, which I can only imagine outnumber the people in it who are geese, should either endeavor to take over the organization and stop being discriminatory or leave and do their own teaching kids to tie knots. They don't get to continue insisting that yes but but they're good in the face of not actually changing anything for the better. "Not being cruelly discriminatory" is the starting point of being a nice person, not the victory lap.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.