As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GOG] Good Games, Cheap Prices, No DRM. Independence War Deluxe!

1565758596062»

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm glad they're back.

I'm also downloading all my games and archiving them locally. I guess I should have done that before. Today the world has a little less trust in it... :(

(Now hurry up and put up AoW2: Shadow Magic so I can buy it and download it and archive it!)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, I should wait for Shadow Magic, right? Is it worth getting the other two?

I kinda want to totally buy Baldur's Gate, but I still have all my discs. And my BG II discs. And my Planescape discs. I guess I could wait until they have them on sale to be a consumerist...

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wonder if Arcanum will run on my netbook.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    143999 wrote: »

Most likely.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    143999 wrote: »
    Runs on mine!

Glal on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Heh, Arcanum, I remember trying to change my protrait to Zero from the MMZ games for a long ass time. Farthest I got...I met the dark elves. I might try all evil magic next time I install it.

Back onto Jagged Alliance, I spent 1 hour playing the entry into Omerta because I kept foolishly dying and lost my last game to corruption this morning. Is it wrong that I spent most of my budget on a sharpshooter because I didn't want to loose? I mean, between my character and the chick I get at the rebel base, we should be fine until we reach degressa. Which I have never readed.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My general tactic up until the last city in JA2 is basically to pick a rooftoop, set everyone up around it covering all sides, get the enemies attention, and then plug them as they rush you. Playing that way, snipers were invaluable. Even when you're doing room to room stuff, they still have good sight range and are a good shot. I never had more than 2 in my squad, though.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    EDIT: OOPS

emnmnme on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Vegan wrote: »
    How daunting is BG to someone who's not familiar with D&D rules whatsoever? I've always heard about the massive manual.

The manual for Badur's Gate 2 was as thick as your pinky finger.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    a Ferreta Ferret 360 Dunk from Half Court Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    BG's manual had very little actual game instruction, and a whole lot of flavor, which is why it was so 'thick'. To anyone worried about BG's rules being ancient and overly complex: I was able to understand the stuff that mattered as a 12 year old boy, so I'm sure you'll be just fine. Except THACO. I still don't get that shit 12 years later.

a Ferret on
    Battle.net Polite#1852 | 3DS 2681-0927-8518 | Steam
  • Options
    Pete0rPete0r Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    When I first played it I had no idea about D&D so I played it through as a story heavy hack n' slash. Admittedly I disliked the combat and far prefered the game based on the story, customisation and character interactions. I found the constant swinging and missing very frustrating as I did not know how I could influence them.

Listening to the PA D&D podcasts has given me a better understanding of the mechanics going on behind the scenes, so I think any future play throughs would end up with a more sensible character that I used to use.

I almost wish they did away with the real time seeming combat and had straight up turn based, combined with a dwarf fortress esque description generator so that you could read about the hilarious injuries and accidents that befall your party.

Pete0r on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Baldur's gate isn't an overly easy game, and you should pay attention to the difficulty settings. 1 is harder then 2, because in true D&D 2e/3e style, level 1 characters can potentially die in a single hit. By the end of BG2, some builds can make you insanely strong, while other characters potentially struggle, so difficulty varies.

It's interface isn't that great either, though if you own both BG1 and BG2, there are ways to load the BG1 into BG2's interface, which is a lot nicer (Especially because it supports higher resolutions, which shrink the size of the UI down). This is done via BGTutu. (I did it once, it takes a bit of time to set all this up, but it's documented well and very worth it)

But BG is perhaps the most "epic" RPG ever written. It's very long, and very fun.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    a Ferret wrote: »
    BG's manual had very little actual game instruction, and a whole lot of flavor, which is why it was so 'thick'. To anyone worried about BG's rules being ancient and overly complex: I was able to understand the stuff that mattered as a 12 year old boy, so I'm sure you'll be just fine. Except THACO. I still don't get that shit 12 years later.

Another thing to note is that armor class is better when it's lower, not higher. It also had something to do with THAC0 (which means "to hit armor class 0"). It's dumb but you don't have to know much about it other than you want your AC to be as low as possible.

Hmmm, the only other thing I can think of is that wizards can only learn spells by finding spell scrolls and copying it to their spellbook (which has a chance of failure) if they're high enough level to learn the spell, but they can still only memorize a certain number of spells at any given level, and once they cast a spell they have to rest again to rememorize it. It limits you as a mage which makes for a hard beginning but by the end it won't matter since you'll be pretty powerful.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    yuo want a negative THACO in baldurs gate.

the more negative it is, the better it is

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    Hmmm, the only other thing I can think of is that wizards can only learn spells by finding spell scrolls and copying it to their spellbook (which has a chance of failure) if they're high enough level to learn the spell, but they can still only memorize a certain number of spells at any given level, and once they cast a spell they have to rest again to rememorize it. It limits you as a mage which makes for a hard beginning but by the end it won't matter since you'll be pretty powerful.

If I remember right, you can disable the chance to fail copying spells by lowering the dificulty to the level right below "Core" which, other than lowering FF damage, does pretty much only that... I think...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »

If I remember right, you can disable the chance to fail copying spells by lowering the dificulty to the level right below "Core" which, other than lowering FF damage, does pretty much only that... I think...

I just save and reload if it fails, no biggie. :P

I just now installed that widescreen mod for Baldurs Gate and it's pretty weird. I don't know what I was expecting but it just seems so odd that everything is tiny and the buttons are all spaced weird. It also seems pretty stuttery now so I might just backup my saves and uninstall the whole thing and do a clean install and go back to how it was.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I only played it on a nonwidescreen monitor... perhaps setting it to 1280x1024 would be nicer? It does zoom out everything, but that has both a tactical and a visual benefit: You can see a lot more of the map, and all the sprites look really nice.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    My monitor's resolution IS 1280x1024. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There may be ui mods that go along with the widescreen mods to make the ui look nicer. But the game being stuttery is probably just your machine.

august on
  • Options
    dantreedantree Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was hoping to play this on my newer netbook, alas I cannot. :(

dantree on
    psn: dantree
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    dantree wrote: »

Does it just not run?

a Ferret on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    august wrote: »
    There may be ui mods that go along with the widescreen mods to make the ui look nicer. But the game being stuttery is probably just your machine.

My machine ran it flawlessly before I applied the widescreen patch, afterward is when it started stuttering. Seeing as how it hasn't actually improved anything I'll be fine going back to the original resolution.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I'm in need of a good RPG/Adventure, looking for good story and length...To be honest the longer the better (as long as it holds my interest). Mainly I'm looking for a large world to explore and stuff to do that will last me many many hours. Any suggestions?

I've already got
    Fallout 1&2&Tactics
    AoW 1&2

I'm considering:
    Baldur's Gate
    Divinity
    Myst/Riven/Uru (always heard great things and never got to play the games)
    Possibly Gothic?
    Or eh...VTM:Redemption

Any suggestions on what to get?

EDIT:

Interstate 76 is already being bought so scratch that one :winky:

iRevert on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Does it just not run?

I can get the initial window, but when I click start game it shuts down with a message that says "no valid video modes supported" so probably the netbooks lack of a real video card.

dantree on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My general tactic up until the last city in JA2 is basically to pick a rooftoop, set everyone up around it covering all sides, get the enemies attention, and then plug them as they rush you. Playing that way, snipers were invaluable. Even when you're doing room to room stuff, they still have good sight range and are a good shot. I never had more than 2 in my squad, though.

But thats boring! If I'm feeling feisty I'll have a stealth/night ops guy with high explosives skill crawl around planting a bunch of remote explosives. After I blow the ever-living hell out of them I set up a guy with a machine gun and a spotter with a bunch of flares. They love feeding themselves into the meat grinder.

Also, if you're playing JA2 do yourself a favor and get the 1.13 fan patch/mod/update.

Arrath on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    iRevert wrote: »
    So I'm in need of a good RPG/Adventure, looking for good story and length...To be honest the longer the better (as long as it holds my interest). Mainly I'm looking for a large world to explore and stuff to do that will last me many many hours. Any suggestions?

I've already got
    Fallout 1&2&Tactics
    AoW 1&2

I'm considering:
    Baldur's Gate
    Divinity
    Possibly Gothic?

EDIT:

Maybe Sacred as well. I haven't played it personally, but I hear it's in the vein of Diablo II.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Does it just not run?

I can get the initial window, but when I click start game it shuts down with a message that says "no valid video modes supported" so probably the netbooks lack of a real video card.
    whats the OS on your netbook.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Does it just not run?

whats the OS on your netbook.

Windows 7 starter.

Ahhh, and that would be the problem, not supported...dur, but I will be able to play on my PC, like the good old days...

dantree on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I've already got
    Fallout 1&2&Tactics
    AoW 1&2

I'm considering:
    Baldur's Gate
    Divinity
    Possibly Gothic?

EDIT:

I recommend Divine Divinity. It's an excellent Diablo clone with a great sense of humour and some incredible music. It's also rather open-world. It's also insanely long. The main plot is fairly decent, but there are a huge pile of sidequests with good stories, so it does deliver in that department in my opinion.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

I've already got
    Fallout 1&2&Tactics
    AoW 1&2

I'm considering:
    Baldur's Gate
    Divinity
    Possibly Gothic?

EDIT:

I'm a huge Myst fan, but I will say they're not for everyone. They're pretty deep on lore, but the story presentation is kind of minimalist. Most of it is told through setting and diary entries. If you were going to play through them, I'd recommend getting RealMYST off of Steam, and then Riven off either. If you want more at that point, I'd track down a copy of Myst III, then IV, then Uru, then V.

I'd probably recommend one of the other games you listed first based on your criteria. The games themselves aren't that long, and while you can explore, you're pretty limited in just where you can go. If you want exploration and rpg mechanics, I'd probably recommend one of the Gothic games. If you want story, I'd probably go with BG or VtM:B. If you go the BG route, I'd probably not get it off of GoG and just track down the collection that comes with both games and expansions (I believe), since you really need them all to get a full conclusion to the story.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why get Real Myst off Steam, when GoG has such a nice package? :P

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Klash wrote: »
    Why get Real Myst off Steam, when GoG has such a nice package? :P

Oh, I didn't realize GoG had it too.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I've already got
    Fallout 1&2&Tactics
    AoW 1&2

I'm considering:
    Baldur's Gate
    Divinity
    Possibly Gothic?

EDIT:

Whilst it might seem like a joke answer, have you tried The Longest Journey? It's certainly long (not just by adventure game standards), the story is really strong if it hits the right notes for you, and has really memorable and absorbing locations. Of course, you could pick it up along with Dreamfall (the prettier, much shorter sequel) at retail for the GoG base price, but that's not in the spirit of this thread.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow, JA2 seems to really requires some research but it feels like D&D, any other games that feel like JA?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I second TLJ. I played it with UHS on the side, because I value good story over tough puzzles (curse you, rubber duckie!), but so good.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Give Arcanum a try. Excellent steampunk/fantasy RPG that has a very Falloutish feel.

a Ferret on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    BG1 runs fine on my netbook, with TUTU and the widescreen patch. Maybe it's a good idea to run the config utility first, so the game gets its bearings.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    BG1 runs fine on my netbook, with TUTU and the widescreen patch. Maybe it's a good idea to run the config utility first, so the game gets its bearings.

I tried downloading the widescreen patch, but don't know which folder it goes into in the Baldur's Gate folders, and will have to look into TUTU tonight.

dantree on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    2 freaking years later, new thread time. I may update the OP a bit at some point.

TychoCelchuuu on