As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Banned Books Week. Go Read One To Spite Sarah.

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    “The Perks of Being A Wallflower,” by Stephen Chbosky
    Reasons: Homosexuality, Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language, Unsuited to Age Group

This book should stay on the list.

But only because it's terrible.

Sheep on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    The book censoring people are functionally retarded. If this was a video as opposed to a book they'd have more of a legitimate position.
    I'm not sure I am able to reconcile these two sentences in a satisfactory manner. They are retarded for being upset over content in a book, content that it would be fine for them to be upset over if it were in a video?

Yar on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    You know, at this point, maybe we should just introduce a standardized ratings system, like those for games and movies, so people can't complain about unsuitable books and so libraries can categorize books by theme and target, and let the tags indicate suitability. Hell, the system could even use transcripts with gender identifiers removed, so that the group setting ratings can't discriminate against gay depictions.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Yar wrote: »
    The book censoring people are functionally retarded. If this was a video as opposed to a book they'd have more of a legitimate position.
    I'm not sure I am able to reconcile these two sentences in a satisfactory manner. They are retarded for being upset over content in a book, content that it would be fine for them to be upset over if it were in a video?

Generally, images are considered more potent than words. Were I to say "penis," it'd just be another day on the internet. Were I to send you a picture of a penis, I'd be Gabe.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ginny Maziarka, 49, said the books in the section of the library aimed at children aged 12 to 18 included homosexual and heterosexual content she thought was inappropriate for youths. She and her husband also asked the library to obtain books about homosexuality that affirmed heterosexuality, such as titles written by "ex-gays," Maziarka said.
    "All the books in the young-adult zone that deal with homosexuality are gay-affirming. That's not balance," she said.
    facepalm

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    Reasons: Homosexuality, Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language, Unsuited to Age Group

I wonder if the Bible is on the list.
    Reasons: Explicit violence, sexually explicit, offensive language, incest

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    GammarahGammarah Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

Generally, images are considered more potent than words. Were I to say "penis," it'd just be another day on the internet. Were I to send you a picture of a penis, I'd be Gabe.

Wouldn't that make you Tim Buckley?

Gammarah on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »

I wonder if the Bible is on the list.
    Reasons: Explicit violence, sexually explicit, offensive language, incest

I'd also include it for being terrible.

Sheep on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You know, at this point, maybe we should just introduce a standardized ratings system, like those for games and movies, so people can't complain about unsuitable books and so libraries can categorize books by theme and target, and let the tags indicate suitability. Hell, the system could even use transcripts with gender identifiers removed, so that the group setting ratings can't discriminate against gay depictions.

Libraries presently categorize books by theme and target. They just don't provide baby-sitting services nor act in loco parentis. Nor should they.

And people will still complain.

moniker on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower? Really? Huh. Not a bad book though. Woo freedom of reading!

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Generally, images are considered more potent than words.
    Were I to say "penis," it'd just be another day on the internet. Were I to send you a picture of a penis, I'd be Gabe.

Yes, because most people don't read. Also, I' m not sure if you realize that we're talking about people doing something of their own free will, usually for entertainment. Not of actually making everybody read/look at <material>.

zeeny on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Guess what time is is, boys and girls. It's banned book week again!

Top picks for this year:

1. “TTYL; TTFN; L8R, G8R (series), by Lauren Myracle
    Reasons: Nudity, Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language, Unsuited to Age Group, Drugs
    2. “And Tango Makes Three” by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson
    Reasons: Homosexuality
    3. “The Perks of Being A Wallflower,” by Stephen Chbosky
    Reasons: Homosexuality, Sexually Explicit, Anti-Family, Offensive Language, Religious Viewpoint, Unsuited to Age Group, Drugs, Suicide
    4. “To Kill A Mockingbird,” by Harper Lee
    Reasons: Racism, Offensive Language, Unsuited to Age Group
    5. Twilight (series) by Stephenie Meyer
    Reasons: Sexually Explicit, Religious Viewpoint, Unsuited to Age Group
    6. “Catcher in the Rye,” by J.D. Salinger
    Reasons: Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language, Unsuited to Age Group
    7. “My Sister’s Keeper,” by Jodi Picoult
    Reasons: Sexism, Homosexuality, Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language, Religious Viewpoint, Unsuited to Age Group, Drugs, Suicide, Violence
    8. “The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big, Round Things,” by Carolyn Mackler
    9. “The Color Purple,” Alice Walker
    10. “The Chocolate War,” by Robert Cormier
    Reasons: Nudity, Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language, Unsuited to Age Group

The number two book is about gay penguins. Gotta love it.

So, what are you reading this week?

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How is Catcher in the Rye still on this list? Is it just nostalgia?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sentry wrote: »
    How is Catcher in the Rye still on this list? Is it just nostalgia?

My guess is that it's still a staple in public school. So new crops of parents are always there to challenge it. Same with Mockingbird.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't remember anything remotely offensive about Catcher in the Rye, except the narrator being an insufferable asshole.

I'm supposing it's just on there because it's considered a staple of teenage fiction.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't remember anything remotely offensive about Catcher in the Rye, except the narrator being an insufferable asshole.

I'm supposing it's just on there because it's considered a staple of teenage fiction.

The main character does call a prostitute and get beat up by a pimp even if he didn't screw her.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is it wrong that I would love to see Twilight banned because its insufferable garbage? It's not that I want to ban a book, it's just too similar to seeing someone hitting themselves in the face repeatedly.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Is it wrong that I would love to see Twilight banned because its insufferable garbage? It's not that I want to ban a book, it's just too similar to seeing someone hitting themselves in the face repeatedly.

Twilight is probably a worse influence than any other book on that list, because it teaches girls that extremely dependent and stalker-ish relationships are not only okay, but the ideal.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Twilight is probably a worse influence than any other book on that list, because it teaches girls that extremely dependent and stalker-ish relationships are not only okay, but the ideal.

I only beat you because I love you baby.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    [*] “It’s Perfectly Normal,” by Robie Harris
    Reasons: Sex Education, Sexually Explicit

I'm not surprised at all, but this is the one that (at first glance) makes me the angriest.

From teenage pregnancies (... too easy) to STI rates in teens and young adults, one day the US is collectively going to have to get its shit together on sex education.

Edit: I made it like 8 pages before it clued in this was a really old bump. Seeing a post from Medopine was my first clue.

But the point stands, and it's sad and frustrating that it does for all kinds of reasons.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It boggles my mind that To Kill a Mockingbird is on that list. Especially for 'racism'.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    It boggles my mind that To Kill a Mockingbird is on that list. Especially for 'racism'.

I'm a little upset by that, actually. Atticus Finch one of the greatest characters ever (no hyperbole here, no sir). Even better as played by Gregory Peck.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Just like class warfare, its only racism when it goes against the right.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I'm a little upset by that, actually. Atticus Finch one of the greatest characters ever (no hyperbole here, no sir). Even better as played by Gregory Peck.

I take comfort in knowing that banning the book probably made it more widely read then not banning it would have. I also agree with everything you wrote.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I find it ridiculous that The Colour Purple is on the list.

One report I read today said it was because of the use of the n-word (something like 9 times during the course of the book). But it's historically accurate and a really good book. I suppose it comes from the same school of thought that would criticise a film for glamorising smoking because it accurately portrayed a time in the past when smoking was much more common, or the changing of guns to walkie talkies, or whatever.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    7. “My Sister’s Keeper,” by Jodi Picoult
    Reasons: Sexism, Homosexuality, Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language, Religious Viewpoint, Unsuited to Age Group, Drugs, Suicide, Violence

I found this to be really enjoyable.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

The main character does call a prostitute and get beat up by a pimp even if he didn't screw her.

The only thing I remember about that book is that for a month afterward all my friends and I said, "gave her the time..." when referring to sex.

We found it funny and sort of classy.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I never liked TKAM

It's meandering and doesn't really know what sort of book it wants to be and deeply, deeply suffers for it

It tries to be a commentary on race relations, a coming of age novel, and a courtroom thriller and fails miserably at all three

Rent on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    I never liked TKAM

It's meandering and doesn't really know what sort of book it wants to be and deeply, deeply suffers for it

It tries to be a commentary on race relations, a coming of age novel, and a courtroom thriller and fails miserably at all three

I don't want to live in your world Rent. D:

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I never liked TKAM

I'm sure David Baldacci will have something more to your liking.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The conservatives really, really hate Tango, because they know that if everyone understands and accepts that animals can be (and are) gay then all of their bullshit arguments about homosexuality being a choice will fly right out the window.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I never liked TKAM

I'm sure David Baldacci will have something more to your liking.

clearly because I don't like TKAM means I'm uncultured swine

get off your elitist high horse and actually debate me on point instead of throwing passive-aggressive insults at me

Rent on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Nah, I'm good.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Twilight being on this year's list made me laugh. Can't we actually ban those books for being terrible?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Twilight being on this year's list made me laugh. Can't we actually ban those books for being terrible?

Its certainly an interesting twist, banning a book that really is horrible.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BrewBrew Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So in 2008 it was:
    “The Color Purple,” by Alice Walker
    Reasons: Homosexuality, Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language,

but now in 2010:
    9. “The Color Purple,” Alice Walker

Where did the homosexuality go?!

Brew on
    1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Is there an actual group saying what books they want banned and giving the reason?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Is there an actual group saying what books they want banned and giving the reason?

The ALA just collects all the ban requests from American libraries and makes a top-ten most requested list. Like TRL for the close-minded.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I believe Banned Books Week is run by the ALA and includes all the reasons they've been given by people who want books removed from their libraries.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well then I've notice they're filtering out WHARBLEGARBLE and Herp Derp from their list of reasons for requested censorings.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg