As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GoG.com] GoG's holding out for a hero 'till the end of the night

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
Planescape: Torment is here. Go nuts.

GOG IS DEAD
-Nietzsche

NIETZSCHE IS DEAD
-GoG.com

gogfallout.pnggogfreespace.png
gogaow.pnggogiwar.png

What is GOG?
GOG stood for Good Old Games. It is run by the guys who made The Witcher (CD Projekt) and basically it is every PC game that has ever been awesome, plus a few that weren't awesome, online. Digitally distributed. For cheap. With no DRM. Fixed to work in XP and Vista and Windows 7. And they come with extras, like manuals and forum avatars and soundtracks and booze.*
gogad4.jpg
Horrible JPEG Compression Care of my Copy of MSPaint

What?!
Remember Fallout and Fallout 2? What about MDK? Or Sacrifice? Giants: Citizen Kabuto? Hostile Waters? Soldiers: Heroes of World War II? Operation Flashpoint? Descent? If you haven't heard of some of these, then you're in luck, because now you have a chance to discover them for the low, low price of less than $10. There are so many gems on this site that you could buy one game a day for a year and you'd probably only start buying crap in June.

*No booze.
goglistey7.jpg

TychoCelchuuu on

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I love this shit. My mother got me a 'White Label' edition of Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics from Amazon.com for my Christmas gift last year and I lost the CD.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, having Baldur's Gate 1 on there is great, but if they get Baldur's Gate 2 on there, I will literally shit myself.
    Not literally. That would be gross.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mmmmmmm....new thread smell.

I love GOG. Have I mentioned that? Although after their hijinks last week I made sure to download every game I had from them and back it up.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't wait for AoW2: Shadow Magic to pop up on GoG. Which is weird because damned if I have time to actually play it in the forseeable future...

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm still waiting for the rest of the Age of Wonders collection.

Edit: Damnit Iolo. Beaten.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    When GoG said a deal with Hasbro about their old D&D crap, does that mean all those licenses reverted to Hasbro or that they just have the final say on them?

I'm just wonder how that works out since I know that Ubisoft bought SSI to sit on it.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Al Baron wrote: »
    When GoG said a deal with Hasbro about their old D&D crap, does that mean all those licenses reverted to Hasbro or that they just have the final say on them?

I'm just wonder how that works out since I know that Ubisoft bought SSI to sit on it.

They just said Hasbro, didn't they? I don't think they mentioned their D&D games specifically so I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    Al Baron wrote: »

They just said Hasbro, didn't they? I don't think they mentioned their D&D games specifically so I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet.

Well, they already have games from both Atari AND Ubisoft, so...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Iolo wrote: »
    I can't wait for AoW2: Shadow Magic to pop up on GoG. Which is weird because damned if I have time to actually play it in the forseeable future...

I had Age of Wonders a long time ago. Damned if I can remember where it is.

Which of the ones sold by GOG would you guys recommend..just wait for shadow?

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    dantree wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    a Ferret wrote: »
    I was hoping to play this on my newer netbook, alas I cannot. :(

Does it just not run?

I can get the initial window, but when I click start game it shuts down with a message that says "no valid video modes supported" so probably the netbooks lack of a real video card.
    whats the OS on your netbook.

Windows 7 starter.

Ahhh, and that would be the problem, not supported...dur, but I will be able to play on my PC, like the good old days...

Thats your problem but not why you think.

Win7 version of DX is missing some files that older games use.

Try running this to see if it helps

You will probably still have to run the game in XP SP3 compat mode, possibly even as admin, but that should get it to work

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Only the first one is on GoG right now. They announced that the others were coming "soon," but that was before the seizure so who knows.

I've never actually played any of them. I just got it my mind that Shadow Magic was the one to get (from an interface perspective, you are usually better off with the last in the series, all else being equal) and the prices on Amazon have always been reee-dick-u-lous so it got to be a thing with me. A pint-sized, consumer grail. I'd love to hear from someone who could actually speak to the differences between versions.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bizazedo wrote: »

I found the first one was better than the second, but I never got to play Shadow Magic.

Did that bring back all the cool shit from the first game they took out in 2?

On another note: they have the I-war games :O

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    The Big LevinskyThe Big Levinsky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is vanilla Age of Wonders 2 worth having or should I just get Shadow Magic?

The Big Levinsky on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is vanilla Age of Wonders 2 worth having or should I just get Shadow Magic?

This is a question of great importance.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So happy they're back. Now to go buy Baldur's Gate for like the fifth time.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So what the hell did they do? Just add Baldur's Gate to their catalogue?

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    After catching up on the GoG epic, I'm almost glad that my computer blew up and I had to spend the last ten days or so buying parts and putting them together.

I don't think I could have dealt with all of that excitement and running to and fro.

Maybe it's time to give Baldur's Gate another shot.

Drake on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    So what the hell did they do? Just add Baldur's Gate to their catalogue?

They redesigned the site, added new content servers, came out of beta and released Baldur's Gate, with the promise of more Atari-Hasbro games coming (which presumably means Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale, etc).

freakish light on
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Very excited for Planescape: Torment. Never got it and have heard only the best things about it.

Icewind dale looks fun. Is it time to do a fill Baldur's gate run through again? Maybe.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    gnodabgnodab Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I always heard Master of Orion was good, so I picked it up the other day.

I then proceeded to play it for at least 5 hours straight, the game's just so much damn fun. Though I was a little overwhelmed at first,

gnodab on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This might be a weird question, but how's the manual for Master of Orion 2? I've always wanted to get into that game, and I finally got it running in DOSBox, but I find the learning curve to be a bit steep. I don't know if I should start with the manual, or look for a deeper tutorial elsewhere.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

On another note: they have the I-war games :O

I know. I have both of the originals, with their boxes and everything, and I still bought the GOG versions. It helps that the GOG version will work on my PC, where the original wouldn't. Great games. never got the love they deserved. I loved just dicking around in 2 and being a pirate.

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They have Sacrifice!?

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This might be a weird question, but how's the manual for Master of Orion 2? I've always wanted to get into that game, and I finally got it running in DOSBox, but I find the learning curve to be a bit steep. I don't know if I should start with the manual, or look for a deeper tutorial elsewhere.

Given that it's 163 pages I think it's probably not useless, at least.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    BG1 runs fine on my netbook, with TUTU and the widescreen patch. Maybe it's a good idea to run the config utility first, so the game gets its bearings.

I tried downloading the widescreen patch, but don't know which folder it goes into in the Baldur's Gate folders, and will have to look into TUTU tonight.

Just put the widescreen patch on the base bg folder.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    wazilla wrote: »
    They have Sacrifice!?

They do!

We'll see you again once your done playing it :P

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So

Six more Hasbro titles, eh

Are there any old awesome Hasbro games they might pick? Because I'm not that familiar with 'em

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale (1&2, there was a second one right?), Planescape: Torment. that's all I can think of.

freakish light on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I approve of the quote.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I bought the Baldur's Gate 4 in 1 and Icewind Dale Ultimate Collection in June.

These titles hitting GoG now, instead of earlier, is just the worst timing imaginable. I'm going to have to rebuy all of them. Also, the Fallout titles (which are quite wonky on Win7).

God damn it, GoG. Why you gotta work so slow? I mean, sure, discs are nice, but $6 a pop is nicer still.

Still gotta get Arcanum and Planescape to complete my 90's cRPG collection.

Edit: How is GoG on holiday sales? I'm thinking of snatching a whole bunch of stuff as soon as possible, but I never really checked out GoG untin DNF was released (kick started my nostalgia). Anybody shop at GoG during X-mas and such?

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Klash wrote: »
    I bought the Baldur's Gate 4 in 1 and Icewind Dale Ultimate Collection in June.

These titles hitting GoG now, instead of earlier, is just the worst timing imaginable. I'm going to have to rebuy all of them. Also, the Fallout titles (which are quite wonky on Win7).

God damn it, GoG. Why you gotta work so slow? I mean, sure, discs are nice, but $6 a pop is nicer still.

Still gotta get Arcanum and Planescape to complete my 90's cRPG collection.

Edit: How is GoG on holiday sales? I'm thinking of snatching a whole bunch of stuff as soon as possible, but I never really checked out GoG untin DNF was released (kick started my nostalgia). Anybody shop at GoG during X-mas and such?

They had a very, very solid Christmas sale last year.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I already own all the BG games, otherwise I'd be all over that

When did they get Arcanum? I might have to buy that

tofu on
  • Options
    NathrakNathrak Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    On the topic of Age of Wonders, I would recommend Shadow Magic. Scenarios and mods are being made for it even now, which I'm pretty sure don't work with vanilla Age of Wonders 2. Also Shadow Magic has an unofficial patch to fix some stuff.

Nathrak on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Planescape Torment is now on GOG.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    RBach wrote: »

Fill up my pimp cup and update that front page!

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Fill up my pimp cup and update that front page!

Updated my journal.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dortmunder wrote: »

mc-hammer-dance.gif

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, now I have no excuse for not playing Planescape: Torment, huh?
    Finally.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Time to get my Windows VM up and running again, then.

area on