As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Tourney] Blood Bowl: Matches resume January 1st.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    !vote Column 1, Row 3

Man, I didn't even know about the Legendary Edition until I checked out this thread, this may finally get me to actually pick this game up.

Please tell me Nurgle's Rotters will be in the legendary edition.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In regards to the rules of the Tourney:

We shall be playing classic rules matches. Teams will start at TV 1000 and play one match every two weeks. I will make and post a tourney bracket once I know how many players we have.

Turn-Based
    No Sponsors
    No Skilled Players
    With Deaths
    No Aging
    No Negotiations
    With Scrolls
    Bribes Allowed
    With Extra Training
    Yes on Kick Off Events
    18 max Cheerleaders
    8 max Re-Rolls
    18 max Fan Factor
    No Equipment
    Duration is 16 turns and 4 minute turns

These may be subject to change depending on how many players !signup.
    I'll come up with some names later, I'm fresh out of ideas at the moment since I struggled for 11 for:

!signup
    TheRapsids-2.png

+2 Rerolls

Edit: Altered the team a bit

Welcome aboard!
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Man, I didn't even know about the Legendary Edition until I checked out this thread, this may finally get me to actually pick this game up.

Please tell me Nurgle's Rotters will be in the legendary edition.

The LE adds in all remaining teams with the exception of Chaos Dwarfs as they are going the way of Squats and Space Skaven. :cry:

!vote results so far:

Team Name:

The Bell Chops (to go with the bell logo) = 1

Logo:

2.jpg = 1
    9.jpg = 1
    025.jpg = 1
    3-1.jpg = 1

Team Composition:

Option 1 = 1
    Option 3 = 1
    Option 4 = 1

If no one wants to suggest player names I can just name them after posters in this thread in order of appearance. That way we all get a moment in the sun... or a moment of shame and pain. :P

Please keep those !votes coming!

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    !Vote Team Name Dinosaur Tramp Stamp

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    IIRC, teams that can't field 11 players for a match receive a temporary lineman for each player under 11, right?

That would shift the importance to re-rolls over large rosters. Hmmph. It's not clear what the lineman for each team consist of, though. For example, the lineman for Lizardmen are skinks, which I wouldn't consider good candidates for being on the line.

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ebotastic wrote: »
    IIRC, teams that can't field 11 players for a match receive a temporary lineman for each player under 11, right?

That would shift the importance to re-rolls over large rosters. Hmmph. It's not clear what the lineman for each team consist of, though. For example, the lineman for Lizardmen are skinks, which I wouldn't consider good candidates for being on the line.

According to LRB5 the Journeyman for each team is the 0-16 class so:

Chaos- Beastmen
    Dark Elf- Linemen
    Dwarf- Blockers
    Goblin- Goblins
    Human- Linemen
    Lizardman- Skinks
    Orc- Linemen
    Skaven- Linemen
    Wood Elf- Linemen

With Lizardmen it's a trade off, yeah you're getting another player who is likely to get injured, but they have dodge, which is super handy. Also, it will probably just be replacing another skink.

Rerolls are def. more important in league play, even more so the shorter the league. They skyrocket in price after the initial creation of a team, so you're probably going to have little chance to buy more than 1 down the line.

crucialityfactor on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I !vote Option 3 for team composition.

As for a name, how about the Burning Vomitoria (plural of vomitorium) for a hedonism/excess reference? We can pretend that in Warhammer, vomitoria were actually used for purging after massive feasts so that you can continue eating, as opposed to just being architectural features.

Oh, and the row 1, column 3 logo.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I believe you have to buy 11 players to start.

My team:
    BMC0R.jpg

+3 rerolls, +1 fan factor

We don't have a league to join yet, right?

Also, man I hope the LE will have better hotseat support, I would love to play this with my wife with persistent teams.

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    !vote Logo: Row 3 Column 1
    !vote Team Name: Axe Wound

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    My team:
    BMC0R.jpg

+3 rerolls, +1 fan factor

Welcome aboard!
    I believe you have to buy 11 players to start.

We don't have a league to join yet, right?

Also, man I hope the LE will have better hotseat support, I would love to play this with my wife with persistent teams.

I believe you have to buy 11 from the start yeah. No league is set up... trying to get all our players signed up first. Also, improvements to hot seat play has been listed as a feature but this IS Cyanide Studios we are talking about.

!vote results so far:

Team Name:

The Bell Chops (to go with the bell logo) = 1
    Dinosaur Tramp Stamp = 1
    Burning Vomitoria = 1
    Axe Wound(s?) = 1

Logo:

3-1.jpg = 2
    2.jpg = 1
    9.jpg = 1
    025.jpg = 1
    7.jpg = 1

Team Composition:

Option 4 = 2
    Option 3 = 1
    Option 1 = 1

Please keep those !votes coming!

Also, turns out I'll be in Hawaii for nine days starting the 5th of October so I'm hoping to get my first match done Sunday night, commentated Monday, and uploaded before I board the plane. Going to be a bumpy first week. :P

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You can take my vote off. It's really just a bad vagina joke.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    SF_DhalsimSF_Dhalsim Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    !signup
    ShaubonmyJohnson
    Skaven
    COuldn't find the pic file so I just decided to list it out.

Lineman
    Lineman
    Lineman
    Lineman
    Lineman
    Thrower
    Thrower
    Gutter Runner
    Gutter Runner
    Gutter Runner
    Storm Vermin
    Storm Vermin

2 Re-rolls 1 Apothecary 2 Cheerleaders

XxKhrushchevxX

SF_Dhalsim on
    sig-1355736.jpg
    sig-1355747.jpg
    SC2: XxKhrushchev.539
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You can take my vote off. It's really just a bad vagina joke.

Slannesh. :winky:
    SF_Dhalsim wrote: »
    !signup
    ShaubonmyJohnson
    Skaven
    COuldn't find the pic file so I just decided to list it out.

Lineman
    Lineman
    Lineman
    Lineman
    Lineman
    Thrower
    Thrower
    Gutter Runner
    Gutter Runner
    Gutter Runner
    Storm Vermin
    Storm Vermin

2 Re-rolls 1 Apothecary 2 Cheerleaders

XxKhrushchevxX

Welcome aboard. I'm happy to have a skaven team in the mix as they are great fun to watch/play.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    !vote change Go with Option 4.

You're going to be a lot better served in the long run getting all the Chaos Warriors first. Plus it'll be a lot more fun watching you bash face.

crucialityfactor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Man I forgot how fun this game is- I just rolled a new team to practice, and inflicted 7 wounds on an elf team, winning 2-1, leveling up a blitzer who rolled snake eyes and got dodge.

The little red crosses speak deeply to me.

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    !vote change Go with Option 4.

You're going to be a lot better served in the long run getting all the Chaos Warriors first. Plus it'll be a lot more fun watching you bash face.

Alrighty, I will find your previous vote and do that. :P
    Man I forgot how fun this game is- I just rolled a new team to practice, and inflicted 7 wounds on an elf team, winning 2-1, leveling up a blitzer who rolled snake eyes and got dodge.

The little red crosses speak deeply to me.

The little red crosses warm my heart every time I see them. Also, damn elves.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Team name vote! for [STRIKE]The New York PaperLuigis[/STRIKE] Dinosaur Tramp Stamp.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    ...and the results are in.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you our team.
    dinosaur2.jpg
    Plus two Re-Rolls & a Apothecary

I have now noticed that I've misspelled a couple of names. I have dyslexia and it happens sometimes. It is unchangeable at this point too. You have my apologies.

I also found out my math was off and ended up not having enough left over for our 8th beastman. No worries though as in Bloodbowl we will have a chance for replacements... and promotions.

The current list of users to be used as player names:
    nstf
    PaperLuigi44
    Lykouragh
    OtakuD00D
    Nylonathetep
    ebotastic
    maddoc
    SF_Dhalsim

Now all that remains is for more people to !signup for playing in the Tournament.

I will cut these off Saturday, October 2nd. First opponents will be selected randomly on that date with the exclusion of my first opponent which will be whoever will be available this Sunday for our first match. I will need to have it recorded and uploaded by Monday night. I will continue to update the thread regarding that tournament on a less that adequate to play laptop I will be bringing with me.

So please, PLEASE, !signup now!

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    *sees name*

Well, I guess a beastman's better than noth-

*sees extra 'a' in name*

...FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
    At least I can say he wasn't named after me after he inevitably dies on a GFI, even after using the apothecary. :D

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah... sorry about that. :cry:

I'm hoping for one of two things there. Either he dies match one and takes my only re-roll with him or... he becomes our start player and I live in shame this entire LP. :P

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I think if you release them now you get equal value for them. Then you can just rebuy/rename.

I did that with my team when I did the same thing with my Krox.

crucialityfactor on
  • Options
    OrmussOrmuss Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So two questions...

1) I bought this game just the other day on Impulse, not Steam. I ASSUME I could still participate, as the game has it's own multiplayer servers, right? I could just coordinate via Steam with the rest of y'all?

2) As I said: I bought this EXTREMELY recently. I have pretty much no experience (haven't had the time to really play at all). Would I still be a worthwhile addition to the tourney? Not sure if I'll sign up due to possible lack of time, but just checking...

Ormuss on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ormuss wrote: »
    2) As I said: I bought this EXTREMELY recently. I have pretty much no experience (haven't had the time to really play at all). Would I still be a worthwhile addition to the tourney? Not sure if I'll sign up due to possible lack of time, but just checking...

This is PA, not a certain League That Shall Not Be Named. Get some practice games in beforehand, but ultimately, you should particpate and have fun.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sadly my new PC won't even have arrived in time for this, and my current laptop is woefully insufficient, otherwise I'd sign up for this and no doubt hand someone an easy win.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So two questions...

1) I bought this game just the other day on Impulse, not Steam. I ASSUME I could still participate, as the game has it's own multiplayer servers, right? I could just coordinate via Steam with the rest of y'all?

I'm lykourgos in the Blood Bowl multiplayer and on Steam, pm me sometime and I will demonstrate some basic strategy for you.

Gently :).

Don't play against the AI too much though, it will teach you Bad Habits.

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Here's a few links that I've found helpful in learning how to play.

Good resource for effectively setting up a team as well as using/leveling the classes: http://bbtactics.com/

Da Rules: http://www.bloodbowlonline.com/LivingRulebook5.pdf

I've heard that Humans and Orks are the go to races for learning the ebb and flow. As PaperLuigi said, just play (against people). Learning what works and doesn't work really only takes a few matches.

crucialityfactor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    For another strategy link, this is a link to the one of the better threads in the FUMBBL strategy forum, FUMBBL being where the hardcore grognards play.

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=14633

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So I fixed the team names. Thanks for the tip crucialityfactor, mad um "props."

Also, you guys are awesome for being so open and helpful. Ormuss, all are welcome to enter regardless of skill. This is to have fun, show off a great game that will soon be getting better, and win some prizes in the bargain. Sign them shits up if you'd like.

I'm going to post a link to the tourney sign ups on the Steam group so hopefully this will fill up quick. Otherwise I may adjust the tourney to be several games... or go on after the tourney to try our team against random online people.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I look forward to crushing all opposition as a chaos warrior

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    !signup
    Wood Elves

Team name and info to come tomorrow on my day off, just wanted to sign up before the weekend just in case something comes up.

Ketar on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I always wanted to try a demo of this to see if I liked it or not but one never chose to exsist.

So I will eagerly await some lets play videos in its steed.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    SF_DhalsimSF_Dhalsim Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bedlam wrote: »
    I always wanted to try a demo of this to see if I liked it or not but one never chose to exsist.

If you really wanna see what the game mechanics are all about try and fine a game store that plays the TT, it won't have the basic animations etc. but its the same game play.

SF_Dhalsim on
    sig-1355736.jpg
    sig-1355747.jpg
    SC2: XxKhrushchev.539
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yay I'm a Chaos Warrior

I will wage war

With my chaos

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What teams are lacking? I can be whatever we are missing.

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Dwarf, dark elf, human, and goblin.

I think you should go goblin.

And play me first.

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    npc.EXE wrote: »
    So I fixed the team names. Thanks for the tip crucialityfactor, mad um "props."

Also, you guys are awesome for being so open and helpful. Ormuss, all are welcome to enter regardless of skill. This is to have fun, show off a great game that will soon be getting better, and win some prizes in the bargain. Sign them shits up if you'd like.

I'm going to post a link to the tourney sign ups on the Steam group so hopefully this will fill up quick. Otherwise I may adjust the tourney to be several games... or go on after the tourney to try our team against random online people.

There's a steam group for this tourney? I didn't see it anywhere in the OP.

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dwarf, dark elf, human, and goblin.

I think you should go goblin.

And play me first.

I will be any of these.

You guys can !vote on it if you want.

precisionk on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    !Vote Goblin.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I would agree with Goblin.

Just had a very strange match against a Dark Elf team comprised of 10 Linemen and 1 Blitzer. He used at least 7 of them to stack against my 3 Saurus on the line, but then twice he tried to pass right through them, and twice I got interceptions. o_O

crucialityfactor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ketar wrote: »
    !signup
    Wood Elves

Team name and info to come tomorrow on my day off, just wanted to sign up before the weekend just in case something comes up.

I'll add you to the OPs when I get your roster. Glad to have you aboard... *grumble grumble* elves... :P
    Bedlam wrote: »
    I always wanted to try a demo of this to see if I liked it or not but one never chose to exist.

Thank you for watching. I am hoping to have the first video up Monday night via Viddler. Anyone available Sunday evening to be my first match? Come one... no pressure.
    precisionk wrote: »
    What teams are lacking? I can be whatever we are missing.

I'd prefer you'd play what you want but the vote option is a nice touch. Best of luck.
    ebotastic wrote: »
    There's a steam group for this tourney? I didn't see it anywhere in the OP.

I haven't made a steam group for the Tourney proper... yet. I posted the link as a comment to the PA Blood Bowl group. Not a whole lot of people in it but here's hoping someone bites.

Please !signup now if you haven't yet.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I would agree with Goblin.

Just had a very strange match against a Dark Elf team comprised of 10 Linemen and 1 Blitzer. He used at least 7 of them to stack against my 3 Saurus on the line, but then twice he tried to pass right through them, and twice I got interceptions. o_O

You intercepted with a Saurus? That's awesome.

Lykouragh on