As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA X: Captain Guillotine: Fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times

1282931333462

Posts

  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    McCorkle is the new Mir.

    adytum on
  • B:LB:L Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You're right. My disagreeing with you doesn't make you a troll. You being wrong and continuing to say wrong things makes you a troll.

    This is a circular argument. Next...
    Or you could try being polite and debate without resorting to calling someone names like a silly goose. It takes a special kind of cognitive dissonance to call me wrong then completely agree with me about the card system.

    Although I will disagree in your preference that fighters should go for a decision. That's exactly what's going on right now, though I can't blame some fighters. They just don't have the ability to finish.

    B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd like it if Mir's next fight was against Dos Santos for #1 contender.

    adytum on
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    McCorkle is the new Mir.

    yeah it's no coincidence, i think, that mir is my favorite and i already like mccorkle

    Organichu on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    nah, mccorkle seems to be able to turn off the abrasiveness when hes not online and actually seems like a cool dude
    there is no offswitch to mir, hes like that all the time

    dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    See, some of you guys say that sports should only be about winning and that Dana and everyone else shouldn't whine when a fighter goes out just to win instead of being exciting all the time.

    But here's the thing. If every fight was Mir/Crocop, you guys wouldn't watch MMA. Period. To say otherwise is to tell a lie. It was a boring fight, it sucked, neither guy took any chances. They are pro fighters and neither guy came to fight. I have a bit of an issue with that. When I pay money to see a night of fights, I expect that every guy signed the dotted line because they wanted to actually step in the cage and do something to the other guy.

    Does that mean I expect every fight to be a stand up war? No. And I wouldn't want every fight to be that. I'm a student of Jiu-Jitsu and I love the ground game very much. However, Mir and CroCop did neither of those things. They didn't fight on the ground. They didn't fight on their feet. They didn't fight at all. It was bullshit. People like myself paid money to see what we thought would be a fight and we got less than nothing.

    So anyone who's acting all high and mighty about "wah why is anyone whining about the fights blah blah" can sit down and cool off. Maybe you don't mind wasting your time and money, but the rest of us do.

    Everyone wants more exciting fights, the debate should center around how best to achieve that. The UFC's current method is fight/KO/sub of the night bonuses and the possibility of getting cut if you're not exciting. I don't care for that method because IMO it sacrifices a certain amount of integrity of competition. It gives the fighters two goals, win and be exciting, and sometimes one comes at the expense of the other. If "win" loses, then pure competition (which creates real drama) begins to erode in favor of spectacle. No it's not the WWE, but it is a little closer to that than I'd like.

    I mean, what if Dana stuck to his guns and cut Frank Mir? A guy who's had good record in the division is out, probably replaced by a fighter of lesser ability, because he's not exciting enough. That to me would be an unacceptable erosion of the UFC's integrity. I don't want to get into how eroded it already is or isn't, never mind that for the purposes of this post.

    So the UFC's current incentives for exciting fights are not the best solution. The better solution IMO is to change the judging standards, specifically by removing the practice of winning rounds 10-9 by virtue of "octagon control." That was pretty clearly Mir's gameplan after his first takedown attempts failed - pin Cro Cop against the fence for three rounds, do little else, and cruise to a 30-27 decision. Can you blame him? He's in a position where he's conceivably 1-2 fights away from another title shot if things break his way. His goal is to win fights and hopefully win a title, and that's what it should be.

    If on the other hand a round that was even but for pinning/takedowns were scored 10-10 it changes everything. Now laying on someone is not an easy route to victory, you actually have to do something, like say pass the guard, creating something more like an actual fight.

    I wouldn't be against this kind of thing. Forcing 10-9 rounds is never something I've been a fan of.

    In fact, the further MMA moves away from most things boxing related, the better the sport will be.

    ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    nah, mccorkle seems to be able to turn off the abrasiveness when hes not online and actually seems like a cool dude
    there is no offswitch to mir, hes like that all the time

    no he's not

    you don't know him like i know him

    Organichu on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    man, Mike Brown is on the undercard portion of the WEC and may not even get broadcast. ouch. short stint at the top for him.

    Dynagrip on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    You're right. My disagreeing with you doesn't make you a troll. You being wrong and continuing to say wrong things makes you a troll.

    This is a circular argument. Next...
    Or you could try being polite and debate without resorting to calling someone names like a silly goose. It takes a special kind of cognitive dissonance to call me wrong then completely agree with me about the card system.

    Although I will disagree in your preference that fighters should go for a decision. That's exactly what's going on right now, though I can't blame some fighters. They just don't have the ability to finish.

    So I have to either agree with you all the time or disagree with you all the time? I can't have any middle ground where sometimes you say smart things and other times you say downright fucking ridiculous things?

    Your logic continues to amaze me in a bad way.

    ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • B:LB:L Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wouldn't be against this kind of thing. Forcing 10-9 rounds is never something I've been a fan of.

    In fact, the further MMA moves away from most things boxing related, the better the sport will be.
    Or with 10-10 rounds, folks would grind the first two rounds and a half then poke at the opponent in the last few minutes of the round to try and stop it from being a draw.

    All you'll encourage is a bit more action at the end of the last round at the expense of having a ton more draws. Why would you favor that, Willy?

    B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    man, Mike Brown is on the undercard portion of the WEC and may not even get broadcast. ouch. short stint at the top for him.

    Sucks for him. But check out the main card of this thing:

    * Featherweight bout: United States Leonard Garcia vs. Canada Mark Hominick[1]
    * Featherweight bout: South Korea Chan Sung Jung vs. United States George Roop[1]
    * Bantamweight bout: United States Miguel Torres vs. United States Charlie Valencia[1]
    * Lightweight bout: United States Jamie Varner vs. United States Donald Cerrone[1]
    * Featherweight Championship bout: Brazil Jose Aldo (c) vs. Armenia Manvel Gamburyan[1]

    I'm honestly not surprised that Brown got pushed down a bit. He's 1-2 in his past 3 fights and the main card is pretty stacked. I'm hoping it cleans out the dirty taste in my mouth that was left behind by this past Saturday's card.

    ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    I wouldn't be against this kind of thing. Forcing 10-9 rounds is never something I've been a fan of.

    In fact, the further MMA moves away from most things boxing related, the better the sport will be.
    Or with 10-10 rounds, folks would grind the first two rounds and a half then poke at the opponent in the last few minutes of the round to try and stop it from being a draw.

    All you'll encourage is a bit more action at the end of the last round at the expense of having a ton more draws. Why would you favor that, Willy?

    This is where cards and/or standups would be used, I imagine.

    Although, it's hard to be more specific without seeing a fight that uses both systems.

    ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • B:LB:L Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    I wouldn't be against this kind of thing. Forcing 10-9 rounds is never something I've been a fan of.

    In fact, the further MMA moves away from most things boxing related, the better the sport will be.
    Or with 10-10 rounds, folks would grind the first two rounds and a half then poke at the opponent in the last few minutes of the round to try and stop it from being a draw.

    All you'll encourage is a bit more action at the end of the last round at the expense of having a ton more draws. Why would you favor that, Willy?

    This is where cards and/or standups would be used, I imagine.

    Although, it's hard to be more specific without seeing a fight that uses both systems.
    I don't recall seeing UFC-style grindfests during the Dream card. The yellow card system by itself is fine to stop UFC-style shenanigans.

    Unfortunately, once again responsibility falls on the ref. The yellow card against Marcus Aurélio when he was trapped under Shinya Aoki was completely unacceptable.

    B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    man, Mike Brown is on the undercard portion of the WEC and may not even get broadcast. ouch. short stint at the top for him.
    He got his ass knocked out on a fight that was supposed to be a steeping stone back up the ranks.

    I'm not that surprised.

    I really liked Brown, but he hasn't shown anything past his title win and two defenses.

    TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    I wouldn't be against this kind of thing. Forcing 10-9 rounds is never something I've been a fan of.

    In fact, the further MMA moves away from most things boxing related, the better the sport will be.
    Or with 10-10 rounds, folks would grind the first two rounds and a half then poke at the opponent in the last few minutes of the round to try and stop it from being a draw.

    All you'll encourage is a bit more action at the end of the last round at the expense of having a ton more draws. Why would you favor that, Willy?

    I don't see why it would encourage that any more than the current system. "Poking" at the opponent in the last few minutes wouldn't be enough for a 10-9 round, you'd have to do more. Also, trying to win three rounds 10-9 is a more sure route to victory than trying to draw the first two and win the third, which is a strategy that involves much less room for error and therefore would probably be used less often.

    It'll only lead to a ton more draws if fighters keep fighting the same way they do under the current system, and they'd have less incentive to do so. The yellow card system is fine, but it relies on referees applying yellow cards correctly, which is not always reliable. A card system combined and judges willing to score 10-10 rounds is not an either-or proposal, you can do both.

    Yougottawanna on
  • B:LB:L Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    man, Mike Brown is on the undercard portion of the WEC and may not even get broadcast. ouch. short stint at the top for him.
    He got his ass knocked out on a fight that was supposed to be a steeping stone back up the ranks.

    I'm not that surprised.

    I really liked Brown, but he hasn't shown anything past his title win and two defenses.
    Manny Gamburyan was supposed to just be a stepping stone? He's a pretty tough dude.

    Brown won the fight before that as well, submission in the first round. He's still a top contender, but the UFC/WEC appears to use a style of rotation to try and keep things fresh, with the obvious INSTANT REMATCHES as an exception to the rule.

    B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • B:LB:L Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    I wouldn't be against this kind of thing. Forcing 10-9 rounds is never something I've been a fan of.

    In fact, the further MMA moves away from most things boxing related, the better the sport will be.
    Or with 10-10 rounds, folks would grind the first two rounds and a half then poke at the opponent in the last few minutes of the round to try and stop it from being a draw.

    All you'll encourage is a bit more action at the end of the last round at the expense of having a ton more draws. Why would you favor that, Willy?

    I don't see why it would encourage that any more than the current system. "Poking" at the opponent in the last few minutes wouldn't be enough for a 10-9 round, you'd have to do more. Also, trying to win three rounds 10-9 is a more sure route to victory than trying to draw the first two and win the third, which is a strategy that involves much less room for error and therefore would probably be used less often.

    It'll only lead to a ton more draws if fighters keep fighting the same way they do under the current system, and they'd have less incentive to do so. The yellow card system is fine, but it relies on referees applying yellow cards correctly, which is not always reliable. A card system combined and judges willing to score 10-10 rounds is not an either-or proposal, you can do both.
    My only concern with that is giving refs and judges more control over the fight. Sure, stalling fighters should be punished but is that worth the possibility of even more rigged matches?

    Well, can't be any worse than it is now though.

    B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't know how closely the mmaplayground betting spreads mimic real betting spreads, but they're enormous for some of the fights.

    adytum on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    man, Mike Brown is on the undercard portion of the WEC and may not even get broadcast. ouch. short stint at the top for him.
    He got his ass knocked out on a fight that was supposed to be a steeping stone back up the ranks.

    I'm not that surprised.

    I really liked Brown, but he hasn't shown anything past his title win and two defenses.
    Manny Gamburyan was supposed to just be a stepping stone? He's a pretty tough dude.

    Brown won the fight before that as well, submission in the first round. He's still a top contender, but the UFC/WEC appears to use a style of rotation to try and keep things fresh, with the obvious INSTANT REMATCHES as an exception to the rule.
    I don't know, I remember a lot of people in here (I'm sure you weren't, B:L) being pretty shocked that Manny not only won the fight, but even had a chance at knocking out Mike Brown.

    TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I loved the card system in Pride. Unfortunately I'm not sure if it could ever be implemented in the U.S. I think the UFC has really tried to think of ways to incentivize fighters to actually...well...fight, and the best they could come up with are those "X of the Night" bonuses.

    Does anyone else have any better ideas? Seriously, I'm curious what other people think would get past the state athletic commissions and still work.

    Why wouldn't yellow cards work in MMA? Athletes in other sports get fined (equivalent of purse deduction) all the time.

    If there is a rash of incorrectly-applied yellow cards, then the UFC can set up some sort of appeals/review process. Other sports have this too, you'll occasionally hear stories about an NBA player who was called for a flagrant foul having that foul rescinded, meaning the accompanying fine is also rescinded. Even better than the NBA, since MMA refs are not direct employees of the UFC, there'll be no self-interest for the UFC in being as ref-supportive as possible like the NBA is.

    BubbaT on
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User
    edited September 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmWANbBTw_g&feature=player_embedded#

    Cro-Cop wants to fight two more times. As a fan, I will watch those two devoutly, but I sincerely hope he tries to redeem himself.

    doug_grammar on
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Why wouldn't yellow cards work in MMA? Athletes in other sports get fined (equivalent of purse deduction) all the time.

    Usually not for things such as winning in a "boring" fashion.

    facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

    Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Unfortunately, MMA is just now slowly beginning to grow out of the "human cockfighting" perception. State athletic commissions are supposed to be concerned with the safety of the competitors, the integrity of competition, and maintenance of the public trust. Adding rules which incentivize fighters to be "even more brutal" would cross some boundaries to many people.

    The argument would be that they're already in the ring, and they're already fighting under proscribed rules in the spirit of competition. There's no reason to give a fighter even more reason to do more than is necessary to win, particularly if it causes him/her to prioritize potentially more dangerous behavior.

    I'm not 100% convinced that there's no reason not to institute cards in some fashion, and as I said I'm a huge fan of the card system because it forced the action. But I'm also not entirely sure that there isn't a point in there. If you want the fighters to be "more exciting", then I'd be more in favor of a systemic rule change than the ref deciding that "these guys aren't doing anything imma card them". Particularly since I want the ref to only be concerned with two things: officiating the contest fairly and protecting the safety of both fighters. Any more than that and you could potentially place them at a conflict of interest (e.g., do I protect the fighters and give this guy time to recover or do I force the action?).

    Inquisitor77 on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    But refs are already involved in determining that there's not enough action going on, with standups and restarts.

    facetious wrote: »
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Why wouldn't yellow cards work in MMA? Athletes in other sports get fined (equivalent of purse deduction) all the time.

    Usually not for things such as winning in a "boring" fashion.

    Yellow cards aren't given for winning, they're given for stalling. The basketball equivalent would be Delay of Game, not shooting free throws. Fighters who are doing things to win the fight - aggressive striking, advancing position, attempting subs - shouldn't even be restarted, let alone carded. If a fighter feels they were wrongly carded, that's what the appeals/review process would be for.

    BubbaT on
  • B:LB:L Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Even better than the NBA, since MMA refs are not direct employees of the UFC, there'll be no self-interest for the UFC in being as ref-supportive as possible like the NBA is.
    One would imagine.

    Inquisitor raises a good point though. There's a conflict of interest between wanting to keep a fight moving, and looking out for the safety of a fighter. It's a delicate balance and with the quality of the current refs in mind I'd rather err on the side of caution.

    B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Need to get myslef in the mood for 120 (and thank the lord for not having to stay up until 6am to watch this one), casual, non official picks:

    Prelims:

    McSweeny v Blackledge: either sub or TKO, Blackledge is a BJJ black belt and has a cro cop style LHK KO, his coming out party will be getting James cut (thank god).

    Fisher v Warburton: UD at a guess.

    Sass v Holst: I wonder if Paul can keep up his record (10-0, first 7 via traingle), will go for a Triangle ;)

    Cantwell v Nedkov: TKO

    Broughton v Queiroz: UD

    Diabatte v Gustaffson: The Snake all day, via sub this time.

    Main Card:

    Wilkes v Patrick: Tough one to call, Wilkes was one of the lesser TUF winners but both guys have great Jits, Wilkes lost a tough war to Brown (no shame in that) but his fight with Johnson he dominated and Johnson is no joke (won 2 since). Gut says Patrick via sub, Wilkes is good but Patrick's record is better.

    Kongo v Browne: TKO and Kongo gets cut imho.

    Hathaway v Pyle: FOTN for me and I am betting on John to be the next big thing at WW, give him a few years of training in the US (now he has the money) to improve his already well rounded game, kids humble, tough and he made Sanchez look like shit. TKO.

    Hardy v Condit: A pick em, but Dan is always underestimated, he has been working hard in the US on his ground game and I am expecting him to try and prove a point. UD but I am hoping for sub.

    Bisping v Akiyama: Bisping needs to stfu about the title and get comfy as a gatekeeper to the top 10. If he had moved gyms a few years ago he may have learned some new tricks, as it is he has been caught in all his recent fights and teh sex will drop him early imho. TKO.

    Venkman90 on
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm so tired of all this discussion (not just in this thread, but the MMA community as a whole) about "what must be done" to make the sport better.

    The sport is better than it's ever been! One of the reasons we get boring fights is because the skill level is so high that people can neutralise an opponent's strengths. There are far less blatant mismatches, and guys are too skilled to just throw wildly.

    I thought 116 was great and 117 was good, 118 was mediocre but not that bad. And 119 wasn't anywhere near as bad as people are making it out - the fights up until the last two were all pretty decent to good.

    And my atomic bomb counterpoint will always be this: the WEC uses the exact same rules as the UFC, and they put on the most exciting cards in MMA every single time. I mean yes, obviously you could make the argument that the lighter weights by default are more exciting (I've made that argument many times), but it should prove that it's not the ruleset that's to blame for "boring" fights.

    facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

    Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The UFC put on what? 15 cards a year with 10-12 fights per card? and people expect every fight to be a barn burner.

    I hate stall tactics, I hate the judging favours a guy who holds onto a leg and does nothing rather than the guy wailing on him (Lentz v Winner, Andre won that fight imho) but you can't do much about that really.

    Sport is fine in my eyes, just needs more guys to evolve dangerous guards so getting the TD might not be such a good plan.

    Venkman90 on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, some fights are going to be shitty. Is what it is. Change the rules all you want, still going to happen.

    I'd still like to see some change in judging criteria, but maybe that's more a question of proper education of the judges.

    Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Yeah, some fights are going to be shitty. Is what it is. Change the rules all you want, still going to happen.

    I'd still like to see some change in judging criteria, but maybe that's more a question of proper education of the judges.

    Indeed, even Dana and the UFC hate the judges at times, but they are appointed by the athletic commision are they not? Many come from boxing too I believe.

    Control seems to score far more highly than damage, but then is some cases it does not so there is little consistency.

    Venkman90 on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Yeah, some fights are going to be shitty. Is what it is. Change the rules all you want, still going to happen.

    I'd still like to see some change in judging criteria, but maybe that's more a question of proper education of the judges.

    Indeed, even Dana and the UFC hate the judges at times, but they are appointed by the athletic commision are they not? Many come from boxing too I believe.

    Control seems to score far more highly than damage, but then is some cases it does not so there is little consistency.

    No. See all the judges and refs are under direct control of Dana White so that he can control every single fight and give out INSTANT REMATCHES whenever he wants. Also, Herb Dean killed Kennedy from the grassy knoll.

    It's all a big conspriracy, you see. :D



    Facetious makes a good point, though. WEC uses the same rule set and I've never seen a bad card from them. Ever. A few fights that weren't as exciting as everything else, yes. But nothing that dragged an entire card down.

    So lets assume that some of the lackluster fights in the UFC have nothing to do with the ruleset. And they also have nothing to do with the size of the fighters. I've seen great fights at every weight class, so I believe that any fighter on any given night can pull a FOTN performance out of their ass if they're motivated to do so.

    So if it's not the rules and it's not the size of the athletes, what is it?

    Also, I'd like to point out that I don't ever complain this much. I love MMA and I watch whatever organization I can whenever I can. But 119 really rubbed me the wrong way, especially the main event and especially because Frank Mir kept talking about how he was going to take Mirko's leg home with him and Mirko was saying that Mir needed to shut his mouth before he got hurt. As this bluster and talk equaled absolutely nothing once the fight started. It was just a sad display.

    ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Eh, I was in favor of rule changes before 119, just like I was opposed to running away before Anderson and Khalib did it. The WEC puts on a good event without the changes, good for them, and I don't see how the change would reduce their ability to continue doing so in the future.

    But to me that's like saying that basketball didn't need a shot clock because some teams didn't hold the ball for 5 minutes every possession, and they operated under the same ruleset as the teams that did. Good for those teams who kept up the pace, but they weren't the problem nor the ones the rule was intended for.

    B:L wrote: »
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Even better than the NBA, since MMA refs are not direct employees of the UFC, there'll be no self-interest for the UFC in being as ref-supportive as possible like the NBA is.
    One would imagine.

    Inquisitor raises a good point though. There's a conflict of interest between wanting to keep a fight moving, and looking out for the safety of a fighter. It's a delicate balance and with the quality of the current refs in mind I'd rather err on the side of caution.

    Dream refs are also responsible for protecting fighters. I don't see how the 2 would have to work against each other. It's safer for Anderson Silva to run away from Demian Maia, but that doesn't mean the ref should allow it. I'd treat stalling like any other foul (I also support yellow cards given for repeated groin strikes, cage holding, etc.).

    BubbaT on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    So I have to either agree with you all the time or disagree with you all the time? I can't have any middle ground where sometimes you say smart things and other times you say downright fucking ridiculous things?

    Your logic continues to amaze me in a bad way.

    This is neither helpful nor contributory, and I think a little break is probably in order for you.

    Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In other news, the EA MMA demo is up on XBL (gold only). PSN demo should be up later today in the US, tomorrow in the EU, I think.

    BubbaT on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Isn't the EA mma game supposed to be more actiony less simulation? I guess I've been looking for a new def jam fight for ny and I was hoping that might be it.

    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    I'd like it if Mir's next fight was against Dos Santos for #1 contender.

    JDS is already the no.1 contender. He is 6-0 in the UFC and has won every fight by utterly dominating his opponent.
    Kongo v Browne: TKO and Kongo gets cut imho.

    Cheick Kongo is 8-4 in the UFC and won his last fight. There is no chance of him getting cut. Unless he Paul Daleys himself out of the organization

    Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    adytum wrote: »
    I'd like it if Mir's next fight was against Dos Santos for #1 contender.

    JDS is already the no.1 contender. He is 6-0 in the UFC and has won every fight by utterly dominating his opponent.

    Guess you missed JDS vs. Roy Nelson? He didn't dominate anything in that fight and actually showed that he most likely doesn't have the tools to take on Brock.

    adytum on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Of course he did

    Roy got blasted. JDS landed at least twice as many hard shots on Roy and Roy looked like he had issues just standing in round 3. JDS punched himself out by round 3 but still outlanded Roy by a lot even then

    [edit] Three times as many strikes, according to statistics. JDS landed 138 punches and Roy landed 40

    And what it has to do with Brock is beyond me, because Brocks only strength is taking people down and dominating them there and JDS was never taken down in this fight

    Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The fight wasn't completely lopsided, and he couldn't knock Roy out in 15 minutes of punching him in the head. He was completely gassed by the middle of round 2. Round 3 was JDS and Nelson slapping each other.

    I just.. don't see a lot of potential there to do anything besides replay the Carwin fight at best.

    adytum on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They might not have to fight at all, if Cain wins.

    I wonder what Cains strategy is, though.

    Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.