As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hawaii Five-O - Book 'em, Danno

UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
This thread is about this show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AepyGm9Me6w

But wait, actually, it's about this show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLKdYXyQa90

The reboot of Hawaii Five-O started last night, and it is really enjoyable so far, and may be the first thing I've watched regularly on CBS since the ill-fated Jericho.

Reviews are starting to pour in, and they all say the same thing essentially; this show is not a serialized television event out to reinvent the wheel, but it is simply a lot of fun, which is something that police procedurals could really use nowadays!

STARRING

That Guy From A Few Episodes of The Shield as Detective Steve McGarrett

Loughlin_kevinhiatt.jpg

Turk Malloy as Detective Danny "Danno" Williams

28868-25760.gif

Jin-Soo Kwon as Detective Chin Ho Kelly

Jinlost.PNG

Boomer as Detective Kona "Kono" Kalakaua

boomer.jpg

The show also stars Hiro Nakamura and the pilot featured Spike (of Buffy fame) as a villain...possibly recurring? That would be nice.

While Alex O'Laughlin is admittedly a little flat as the lead, he still gets the job done and certainly doesn't make things worse, and importantly, he happens to have great chemistry with Scott Caan. Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park also seem oddly at home here, and hopefully having such a (so far) likable group of characters will really draw people into the show.

I've never seen the original show (when I was little I know that my grandmother used to watch it, so I just assumed it was some boring old person's show without knowing any better) and basically started watching this because of Kim and Park, but so far I'm impressed with what I've seen.

Anyways, did anyone catch this last night? Thoughts? Also, feel free to talk about the original too, if I get enough into this series I may be driven to pick up the original on DVD.

UnbreakableVow on

• Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The pilot was alright

A stupid fun show

Scott Caan is a pretty funny guy

tofu on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I wonder if they're reaching for serialization sensibilities, though
    Like with the key in the box

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The lead is just so...haole

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That pilot was really really really fun and this show is going to be awesome.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Stand, Killer QueenStand, Killer Queen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The people advertising the show are trying to make it a big deal here. The filming of the show isn't nearly as followed as L O S T. (Got my pic taken by the Church's-turned-Hurley's chicken joint) But the show seems pretty alright. Didn't watch the whole thing, but scenes I saw looked okay. I do like the guy who is playing Chin Ho. The lead actor seems rather... girly compared to the classic lead.

Stand, Killer Queen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I thought the choice of vehicle Danno drives pretty chuckle worthy.

iguanacus on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have this waiting for me on the DVR. I'm sorta hoping for it to channel the spirit of Burn Notice and CHiPs.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fun. Has the chance to be great if they develop the lead a bit. And Scott Caan was the best thing about it.

C2B on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's a shame that lead actor & partner are outclassed by Jin and Boomer. Also, there's a real lack of moustaches here. Otherwise: Fantastic.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wouldn't say that Scott Caan is outclassed, but the lead certainly is. His was the only important character that wasn't given to an actor who'd already proven himself.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I just realized that the inferior opening from the original pilot is in the op.

Here:

Opening

C2B on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The first episode was a lot of fun. Good writing and casting, lots of action and some nice car-fu.

I approve of this product and or service!

First episode online here: http://www.cbs.com/primetime/hawaii_five_0/video

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    dasZombie42dasZombie42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I watched it earlier today and thought it was really good.

dasZombie42 on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was really impressed by the sheer breeziness of it all - although I feel that you can't really cram in drama about human trafficking and prostitution in this type of program without it becoming mawkish and unconvincing. Nice to see a modern police show really rack up the body count though.

I was both impressed and mildly dismayed that they managed to find a reason to get Grace Park in her underwear for both of her major scenes. Will be interesting to see the increasingly creative reasons they'll find to do this as the season progresses.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The intro for this show is pretty bad

I like how they mirrored the original a lot but all the computer graphics bullshit is awwwwwwwwful

tofu on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    tofu wrote: »
    The intro for this show is pretty bad

I like how they mirrored the original a lot but all the computer graphics bullshit is awwwwwwwwful

I hate that so much

Especially on cop shows

Like if I'm watching a sci-fi series or something, fine

I can only hope this is one of those cool shows that changes credits every season

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just watched it online. cute.

But I'll probably stick to watching it online as opposed to live tv (we don't have a DVR..yeah yeah, poke fun all you want, parents are old) since it's on mondays and gotta watch wrasslin

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    The lead is just so...haole

ohana means famliy

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wanted to watch this show, but it was one of those where I could tell it could be really bad or really fun. I'm glad to see a lot of people find it acceptable. Better or worse than NCIS? I'm not a big fan of NCIS' style.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Lux wrote: »
    I wanted to watch this show, but it was one of those where I could tell it could be really bad or really fun. I'm glad to see a lot of people find it acceptable. Better or worse than NCIS? I'm not a big fan of NCIS' style.

It's what you want. It is more on NCIS style compared to CSI but it is a whole lot more actiony and overall fun.
    Give it a chance, at least.

Also early NCIS Seasons > than the crap we have now. Yes, there are more storylines but they are boring and there are way less funny and awesome scenes that made the show watchable in the first place.

Why did I write that?

C2B on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Watched it on Hulu last night after my wife said it was good. I have to say that I enjoyed the show. I'm impressed with the body count; CBS isn't a network I associate with "killing every bad guy on screen," so that was a surprise. I really like that they didn't bog down the show with too much detail about what was going on; I'm really okay with, "Lead cop wants revenge for the murder of his father, governor gives him absolute liability, kill everyone, jokes."

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Watched this the other day. It was kinda fun. I like a bit of mindless fun every now and then from my TV shows.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    the pilot featured Spike (of Buffy fame) as a villain...possibly recurring? That would be nice.

I think this is where they're going with this

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    And the series continues to be pretty damn entertaining

Kid actors are the worst, though

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I had fun watching the second episode as well. I just they don't typecast Kono in as needing to be rescued every episode.

DragonPup on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    DragonPup wrote: »
    I had fun watching the second episode as well. I just they don't typecast Kono in as needing to be rescued every episode.

Same here, but notice that they didn't really strip her down out of her clothes this episode at all like they did twice in the premiere. This is good news, maybe they'll avoid cliches like that.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This remains probably the best thing on television right now. It is a thing of wonder.

Playing basketball against prisoners for clues. Winning the game by playing dirty.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Orchi and Kurtzman are the guys who keep doing reboots right?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    This remains probably the best thing on television right now. It is a thing of wonder.

Playing basketball against prisoners for clues. Winning the game by playing dirty.

It's refreshing to have a 'cop show' where the cops ignore the rules, and have shoot outs in every episode. :D

DragonPup on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Salient points from the last episodes:

1) Stringer Bell cameo?

2) Biggest steaks on earth

3) I get the feeling that the unfortunate "wacky" scientist is going to be a recurring mar on this spectacular gem of a show

Mojo_Jojo on