As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] DLC On Sale Oct. 11th - 17th (Xbox Live Gold)

• Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    so i couldn't resist, i fired up an old ME1 save just to try out some choice mods

you can equip the mako cannon

YOU

CAN

EQUIP

THE

MAKO

CANNON

The Stutter Gun or the Boom Boom Gun, this is important information:!:

Who-Psyd on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If you can equip the Mako's main gun...time to turn my infiltrator into a BESTfiltrator! O_o

Details plox!

Orca on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is there any point to using cryo ammo? A couple pages back, somebody said it helps with hordes of husks, but I assume the slowing effect doesn't work on anybody with armor (the same limitations as cryo blast). What gives?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    both mako weapons, actually.

the muzzle flash on the machine gun is kind of blinding and awful, though.

the cannon? fucking awesome.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Alliance tends to send Shepard on really important assignments: fanatical biotics in the Hades Gamma Cluster have kidnapped the chairman of the Parliament Subcommittee on Transhuman Studies; a former-Alliance officer with PTSD has set himself up as the figurehead of a biotic commune on Presop and murdered two Alliance negotiators sent to investigate; Batarian extremists have taken over the X57 mining asteroid and are going to crash it into a nearby planet, etc. It's hardly like they need Shepard to find their shoes everytime they go missing -- these are delicate, sometimes diplomatic situations with many thousands of lives at stake; I'd question the Alliance if they didn't consult the first human Spectre to help resolve them.

The only time you really see the Alliance fuck up is when the Rogue VI on Luna goes crazy. But let's put it in perspective: Cerberus had a VI go rogue as well in ME2. The difference between these events is that the rogue VI on Luna went nuts by accident; it was the unfortunate result of an unforeseen critical failure in the system. When Project Overlord went rogue, it's because Cerberus --
    brain-raped an autistic kid.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    templewulf wrote: »
    Is there any point to using cryo ammo? A couple pages back, somebody said it helps with hordes of husks, but I assume the slowing effect doesn't work on anybody with armor (the same limitations as cryo blast). What gives?

Go Squad Cryo Ammo. Your teammates focus fire like lunatics with squad on, and anything that has health will be frozen.

For Husks it's simple; turn on Squad Cryo Ammo, strip their armor with your pistol, and then forget about them. Husks die instantly when they freeze, and your teammates will clean up.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wyborn wrote: »
    templewulf wrote: »

Go Squad Cryo Ammo. Your teammates focus fire like lunatics with squad on, and anything that has health will be frozen.

For Husks it's simple; turn on Squad Cryo Ammo, strip their armor with your pistol, and then forget about them. Husks die instantly when they freeze, and your teammates will clean up.

So, maybe some incinerate from mordin and warp from whoever plus team cryo ammo? That sounds like it might help.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    milk ducks wrote: »
    The Alliance tends to send Shepard on really important assignments: fanatical biotics in the Hades Gamma Cluster have kidnapped the chairman of the Parliament Subcommittee on Transhuman Studies; a former-Alliance officer with PTSD has set himself up as the figurehead of a biotic commune on Presop and murdered two Alliance negotiators sent to investigate; Batarian extremists have taken over the X57 mining asteroid and are going to crash it into a nearby planet, etc. It's hardly like they need Shepard to find their shoes everytime they go missing -- these are delicate, sometimes diplomatic situations with many thousands of lives at stake; I'd question the Alliance if they didn't consult the first human Spectre to help resolve them.

The only time you really see the Alliance fuck up is when the Rogue VI on Luna goes crazy. But let's put it in perspective: Cerberus had a VI go rogue as well in ME2. The difference between these events is that the rogue VI on Luna went nuts by accident; it was the unfortunate result of an unforeseen critical failure in the system. When Project Overlord went rogue, it's because Cerberus --

Not that I don't agree with you but the thing on Luna was an AI not a VI. Basically Alliance was messing with stuff they shouldn't have been.

Everything else is pretty spot on though.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Not that I don't agree with you but the thing on Luna was an AI not a VI. Basically Alliance was messing with stuff they shouldn't have been.

Pretty sure it was a VI not AI on Luna, Heckett even comments that it is nothing as advanced as an AI but still dangerous.

Who-Psyd on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So serious question: Why is the Cerberus held up as the model of ineptitude and yet the Alliance gets a free pass even though for all intents and purposes in Me1 the Alliance pretty much had Shepard on speed-dial to take care of every little thing that they couldn't?

Because the Alliance didn't create, and then spectacularly fail, most of the things they call you up for. Aside from like, the Luna VI, it's all "oh hey, someone just took a hostage in this sector and you're in the area, and still an Alliance soldier - can you handle it?"

As for intel, considering the Broker had exacting detail on TIM's daily activities, I'm thinking that was the superior intel network. Just because the Broker wasn't calling you up to warn you about a Collector attack doesn't mean it wasn't known - why would the Broker inform you about his allies?

Also, the success of Lazarus project was necessarily preceded by a failure, so that's a wash.
    "Miranda, keep Shepard alive."
    "Keep Shepard alive, got it."
    *Normandy explodes*
    I do whole heartedly believe there are some good ones out there.

Yeah, dead ones.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Also, the success of Lazarus project was necessarily preceded by a failure, so that's a wash.
    "Miranda, keep Shepard alive."
    "Keep Shepard alive, got it."
    *Normandy explodes*

Yeah, dead ones.

Well technically that one was Joker's fault.
    When I say "abandon ship", you better f'ing "abandon ship" and not make me go all the way to the bridge to drag your ass out. Joker seems to forget that both Normandy SR-1 and SR-2 belong to SHEPARD.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    no-cooldown is crazy awesome in ME1

lift lift lift

throw into orbit

this time i'm actually going to look forward to pinnacle station :D

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Who-Psyd wrote: »

Pretty sure it was a VI not AI on Luna, Heckett even comments that it is nothing as advanced as an AI but still dangerous.

Naw, it was a AI.

You had the message it gives you at the end "Help Me" and Miranda confirming it at the start of ME2.

Hackett was probably pretty much just lying to you to cover the Alliance's asses. You know with AI research being so very illegal.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Making characters was such an ordeal in this game. But now that I've figured out how to skip the intro movies, I can finally get the FemShep I want without spending 17 hours watching stuff I've scene a hojillion times.

...how?

This thread tells you how to do it.

Probably not a bad idea to put this in the OP, actually.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I just hope they let you do the editing at the start in ME3.

I really hate how I always mess up noses on females and I can't tell for certain until afterwards.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Who-Psyd wrote: »

Naw, it was a AI.

You had the message it gives you at the end "Help Me" and Miranda confirming it at the start of ME2.

Hackett was probably pretty much just lying to you to cover the Alliance's asses. You know with AI research being so very illegal.

What does Miranda actually say? Her horrible judgment aside, I don't recall her actually saying, "What happened on Luna was because of an AI," at any point.

The wiki says that it was a VI was "sabotaged" to achieve sentience, whatever that means.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's right on the page you linked.

[edit] Mass Effect 2 Consequences

* Miranda refers to this as the Hannibal system if you respond to EDI's introduction with hostility.
    * When discussing AIs with EDI on the Normandy SR-2, it is more or less confirmed that the incident on Luna was in fact the result of an experiment in creating 'controllable' AI. Clearly things did not go as planned.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, VI's are also allowed to have names as well, as is clearly established. I must have never gotten to that scene with EDI, but that does seem to clear it up.

What I mostly remember from that is how much I hate the mission.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well...the only part I really hate about that mission is the part where you have to fight 6 Rocket Drones in a cramped space. But it is easy to exploit game mechanics at that section.

Not to mention you get a passive upgrade so whatever.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I played that mission just last night. After clearing out the third area, there was one enemy left elsewhere in the room, so I popped carnage and went in to finish it off.

One rocket later, three shield bars and full health gone. On normal. Fucking rocket drones.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    "Oh, would you like to save before you enter the corridor of bad clipping and get a face full of rocket? Tough shit."

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    They're still not as bad as snipers.

Fuck snipers.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Orca wrote: »
    They're still not as bad as snipers.

Fuck snipers.

Fucking Geth and their aimbots.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    GODDAMMIT LEGION

Orca on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    At least even the hopper snipers have movement constraints.

"Hey, look, I'm a way cool rocket drone...I can move at 80 k/h, indoors, and still stop on a dime! I can fire an unlimited number of rockets while I do it! I don't actually have to behave like a flying craft because I'm magic!"

They could have sent 10 of those after Sovereign, and they would have killed everyone, including Saren. You'd loose three the first time someone used Overload, but then they'd all be dead.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Best way to deal with those guys is with Overload + Sabotage. With two sabotages, you can keep them locked down long enough to blow them away usually. 3 for certain.

Orca on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    There is NO GOOD reason at all to keep the base

AT ALL

Or perhaps you meant to write, 'There is no possible justifiable reason that Sheperd gets to decide to destroy the base or not', that is a decision a billion miles beyond his pay grade in a situation like this. There are thousands of reasons to keep the base, hell, it's self destruction destroying the antique ships around it is reason enough to not blow it up. Sheperd should return, immediately betray the illusive man and inform the council of the ships location and give them the codes to access it. Simply because Sheperd didn't have an option to do that (and I was sure he would have one) is no reason to decide at the time to destroy a critically valuable piece of technology.

It's a reaper building facility for petes sake, if anywhere can give us more info about them it is there.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Except that everything the Reapers build is a trap. Everything.

You think you're learning about the Reapers then BAM they puree everybody.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The fact that your only option is to give it to Cerberus is a pretty good reason to blow it up.

Also is it just me or this guy just asking to get shoved out a window.
    kaidaneclipse.jpg

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That also uses the assumption that the Council won't think he's crazy and refuse to go through the Omega Relay.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    gjaustin wrote: »
    That also uses the assumption that the Council won't think he's crazy and refuse to go through the Omega Relay.

Ah, yes, "Reaper Production Facility maintained and operated by the illusive Collectors".

milk ducks on
  • Options
    HambrabaiHambrabai Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    There is NO GOOD reason at all to keep the base

AT ALL

Or perhaps you meant to write, 'There is no possible justifiable reason that Sheperd gets to decide to destroy the base or not', that is a decision a billion miles beyond his pay grade in a situation like this. There are thousands of reasons to keep the base, hell, it's self destruction destroying the antique ships around it is reason enough to not blow it up. Sheperd should return, immediately betray the illusive man and inform the council of the ships location and give them the codes to access it. Simply because Sheperd didn't have an option to do that (and I was sure he would have one) is no reason to decide at the time to destroy a critically valuable piece of technology.

It's a reaper building facility for petes sake, if anywhere can give us more info about them it is there.

The Debris field is actually one of the reason's I've saved the Collector Base on a couple of playthroughs, Joker mentions off hand that some of the ships look ancient and despite the majority of them resembling Quarian vessels they likely date back quite a few cycles.
    The last time anyone found a Prothean vessel it provided several major technological breakthroughs and it was a scattered hulk trapped at a Lagrange point, so when they showed the debris field it sort of upped the ante for keeping the base.

It also irked me that there was no third option to deliver the base to the Citadel races, it would let you shove a stick in the Turian Councilors eye (because no amount of air quoting explains away a giant people squeezins' robot and a debris field the size of a solar system consisting of ancient ships) and would likely give the Citadel races a serious leg up as far as technology goes. Because any facility that assembles a Reaper is bound to have some information on any possible weaknesses and the debris field is a literal treasure chest of derelict spaceships, sure most of them are fragmented hulks but the quantity of them means the odds of finding something amazing must be approaching 100%.

Edit: I also hope that if you keep the Base in ME3 there is an option to kidnap the Council and force them to see the Collector Base and where it sits, it's pretty hard to dismiss an ancient space station holding station against a black hole in the center of the galaxy surrounded by spaceships possibly millions of years old.

Hambrabai on
  • Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, since we're getting into hypotheticals again, we could also assume that Shepard would make a video recording of going through the omega 4 relay and the base (why he hasn't been doing this the whole time is beyond me, but thats already been discussed at length). The council has acted on less substantial evidence than that (audio recordings from a defunct geth comes to mind).

Also, re: Overlord
    After thinking through what would actually happen if they succeeded, its seems to me that the end result would be an army of geth at TIM's command. That sounds like a wonderful idea, doesn't it?

Bottom line, TIM might talk like he's doing everything for the benefit of humanity, but really his actions are just thinly-veiled power grabs. And noone outside of Cerberus (and to a much lesser extent, humanity) could possibly benefit from it.

Edit: also for the record, if there were a third option to keep the base and given it to anyone but Cerberus, I would've done it in a heartbeat. As it stands, there's no fucking way Cerberus is getting the base.

Emporium on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Emporium wrote: »
    Well, since we're getting into hypotheticals again, we could also assume that Shepard would make a video recording of going through the omega 4 relay and the base (why he hasn't been doing this the whole time is beyond me, but thats already been discussed at length). The council has acted on less substantial evidence than that (audio recordings from a defunct geth comes to mind).

Also, re: Overlord
    After thinking through what would actually happen if they succeeded, its seems to me that the end result would be an army of geth at TIM's command. That sounds like a wonderful idea, doesn't it?

Bottom line, TIM might talk like he's doing everything for the benefit of humanity, but really his actions are just thinly-veiled power grabs. And noone outside of Cerberus (and to a much lesser extent, humanity) could possibly benefit from it.

Edit: also for the record, if there were a third option to keep the base and given it to anyone but Cerberus, I would've done it in a heartbeat. As it stands, there's no fucking way Cerberus is getting the base.

Dude. Cerberus IS humanity!

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Dude. Cerberus IS yoomanity!

Orca on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anything that furthers the interests of mankind over the filthy Xenos is to be applauded.

The deaths of a few human test subjects, scientists and assorted support staff is nothing in the face of progress!

We breed so fast nobody will miss em anyway.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Always-RainingAlways-Raining Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    D:

Good argument for just nuking earth now to save the aliens the trouble?

Always-Raining on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So is there a way past the opening movies for easy character generation?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This thread tells you how to do it.

Probably not a bad idea to put this in the OP, actually.

Somebody confirms it works and I'll slip it in.

Nartwak on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Orca wrote: »
    Dude. Cerberus IS yoomanity!

Given their trend of killing their own loyal followers, heh...

Synthesis on
This discussion has been closed.