As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GoG.com] GoG's holding out for a hero 'till the end of the night

• Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dortmunder wrote: »
    RBach wrote: »
    Planescape Torment is now on GOG.

Limed for great justice.

Raif Severance on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I already have it
    I still feel like crying with the news.

holy fuck shit balls

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The only way this day could get any better is if they put System Shock 2 up.

WMain00 on
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Planescape: Torment...meh
    OH GOD DON'T KILL ME I'M GOING TO BUY IT I SWEAR

langfor6 on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »
    The only way this day could get any better is if they put a System Shock Bundle up.

Drake on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Limed for great justice.

Bolded for more.

Also, we're going to have to get on testing this to see if it works with the mods / fixpacks.

subedii on
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    time to see just how overrated this game is

Feels Good Man on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

The gameplay & interface are awful, but the story & dialogue are awesome.

RainbowDespair on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
  • ColtaineColtaine Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Is it wrong that I plan to avoid sex with my wife tonight now?

Coltaine on
    I am feeling unusually loquacious. Thus.

As many-handed as a cuttlefish.
  • DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Coltaine wrote: »

Is it wrong that I plan to avoid sex with my wife tonight now?

Don't you see? You no longer need a wife.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    august wrote: »

Thank you for this. I was just about to try and track these down for a friend of mine that has been trying to find PS:T.

Sir Carcass on
    edited September 2010

Thank you for this. I was just about to try and track these down for a friend of mine that has been trying to find PS:T.

Bear in mind, this is a re-worked version of PS:T to run on modern OS's. Until they're tested, all or none of these mods might actually work (or work properly).

subedii on
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

The gameplay & interface are awful, but the story & dialogue are awesome.

Let me elaborate on what you said. The combat is horribly bad. So bad that you'll wonder how the game ever shipped with it. It would have been better to have no combat at all than the terrible mess that you face in, say, Curst.

On the other hand, the story contains the most brilliant writing in any video game to date. Anyone who doesn't tear up a little bit when first encountering
    Deionarra's sensory stone
    is a monster with a heart of stone. And that's not even the best part.

Hedgethorn on
    edited September 2010
    Perhaps it's because I played it when I was younger and when it first came out, but I never really had any issues with the combat. Wasn't particularly engrossing, but the spell effects looked cool. I think some of them still look cool.

Sound design was pretty good as well IIRC.

subedii on
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    Perhaps it's because I played it when I was younger and when it first came out, but I never really had any issues with the combat. Wasn't particularly engrossing, but the spell effects looked cool. I think some of them still look cool.

Sound design was pretty good as well IIRC.

Admittedly, I played it within the last year, and the spell effects in the Infinity Engine don't play well with modern nVidia cards. So even though I played as a mage, most of the graphical flourishes were lost on me.

My gripes with the combat have more to do with
    the seemingly-unending stream of annoying combat you face in the last 1/3rd of the game, after you leave Sigil
    WMain00 wrote: »

Fill up my pimp cup and update that front page!

Updated my journal.

:^:

Hedgethorn on
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Great just great I signed up for this thing less then a week ago and I've brought 3 games so far. This thing is almost as bad as steam.

On a tangentially related note, I've dug out my old BG2 Cds and I can't find throne of Bhall. Better then nothing I guess.

Road Block on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Holy cripes on toast. I really hope Planescape works with Windows 7, because I have wanted to play this game for a long, long time. I'm surprised that this wasn't the game GOG used for their 'penance' release, but I'm happy it's finally here!

Does anyone know if the game has the unofficial patch installed to begin with? I know some of GOG's releases (i.e. Master of Orion 2 and such) come with fan patches installed.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Question...does the new release of Planescape work with the various GUI mods out for it (bigger, more readable text, etc.)? Or would does only work with the original?

Synthesis on
    edited September 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Question...does the new release of Planescape work with the various GUI mods out for it (bigger, more readable text, etc.)? Or would does only work with the original?

They work: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/planescape_torment/mod_guide

august on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OH SHIT SON. Who cares about the stunt now, they have PS:T!. I've been waiting to play PS:T again for like a decade.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ohshitohshitohshit

Well, now I'm utterly torn. I can wait a simple 3 months for Christmas sales, or I can own a functional copy of Planescape: Torment right now.

Thats like asking a man to decide between his children.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html

This look like a quality guide for condensing the mods you need, and provides convenient links!

But the GOG version of the game has steps 1a, 1b, and 2 finished already (including ini tweaks), so skipping to step 3 would be to your benefit.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You know, I just replayed PS:T like 6 months ago, but I think this is going to make me play it again.

I already know I'm buying a GoG copy just to support the game finally showing up.

Maybe this time I'll finally be able to do an Evil playthrough.
    hahahahaha yeah right. anyone who can successfully do an evil playthrough of this game should be incarcerated for being a horrible sociopath.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tears of joy at the announcement of PS:T

Sacrifice is also on Steam.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »

They work: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/planescape_torment/mod_guide

Excellent. I may have to sign up, despite GOG's reputation for hilariously unfunny jokes. Hopefully, this will be less bothersome than Steam is at times.

EDIT: I still have a copy of BG&E somewhere, but Shogo as well? Intriguing...

Synthesis on
  • ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I still remember the stuff I had to go through to play PST when it first came out. There was originally no full install for it. You had to swap CDs constantly through out the game. Like going into and out of a house required two CD swaps. And because it took forever to load from CD that was like 2 minutes each change. Until the no CD patch came out I had bypassed a fair amount of content for the game because of the load times.

It's great GOG finally got this and the other infinity engine games.

Apostate on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Been waiting for this game FOREVER.

Jragghen on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow. I've never played Torment, but after years and years of people talking about how great this game is I can't wait.

Gog.com is officially forgiven for their misguided marketing attempt!

DrunkMc on
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It comes with a book?(!)

muninn on
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    Wow. I've never played Torment, but after years and years of people talking about how great this game is I can't wait.

Gog.com is officially forgiven for their misguided marketing attempt!

same here. i'll be asking for this for christmas.

also, the GOG.com shutting down was to upgrade their entire site... which would have had to come down to do anyways. so it wasn't entirely a marketing ploy.

Feldorn on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Holy shit, one of the extras that comes with it is the entire fucking novel in .pdf form. I would recommend that you play the game first, obviously, but it's still cool that it comes with it.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was told that the novel was garbage, doing for Planescape:Torment what Myth 3 and Star Control 3 did for their respective series. Namely, that it hamfistedly cleared up mysteries that were best left untouched. Also, I heard they gave the protagonist a name.

Orogogus on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is a different novel. This lifts the dialogue directly from a playthrough of the game, and fills in the gaps with descriptions of what's going on. Battle is largely skipped.

The first page of the book explains it.

Renzo on
    edited September 2010
    Guys after installing the game and all the mods I have a problem: all the sounds sound like they're coming from the bottom of a well. Messing with the eax button does nothing. Ideas?

EDIT: Just had to update my sound drivers.

august on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A long time ago a friend lost my copy of Planescape when I lent it to him

Now I can finally forgive

tofu on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I read the novel once.

It's okay.

The whole thing with this game though is that you choose how the narrative unfolds, which is sort of impossible in a novelization.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Goosebumps Presents:
    Planescape: Torment, Choose Your Own Adventure

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Guys after installing the game and all the mods I have a problem: all the sounds sound like they're coming from the bottom of a well. Messing with the eax button does nothing. Ideas?

That's pretty much what the audio sounds like.

Renzo on
    edited September 2010
    Renzo wrote: »

That's pretty much what the audio sounds like.

No, trust me, this is different. I've played through the game several times and it sounded normal before I started applying mods.

august on