As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA X: Captain Guillotine: Fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times

• BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Uh, Carwin almost beat Brock. How does Carwin not have the tools to take on Brock? Or JDS, if he's Carwin's equal?

BubbaT on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Uh, Carwin almost beat Brock. How does Carwin not have the tools to take on Brock? Or JDS, if he's Carwin's equal?

He caught Lesnar with a heavy punch early on, sent Lesnar reeling, and proceeded to do minimal damage for the rest of the round. By round 2 he was gassed.

Cain has shown he can last 3 rounds. So has Brock. JDS has shown he can't.

adytum on
    edited September 2010
    Maybe I'm being overly optimistic w/r/t Brock's chin, but after JDS/Nelson I was completely underwhelmed with JDS' performance.

adytum on
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    adytum wrote: »

He caught Lesnar with a heavy punch early on, sent Lesnar reeling, and proceeded to do minimal damage for the rest of the round. By round 2 he was gassed.

I think thats a bit harsh. He did go three rounds, dominated all of them. He tired himself out from too much punching, because he was obviously expecting Roy to fall down. It wasn't a stellar performance, but comparing his cardio to Carwins is too much I think.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In other news, the EA MMA demo is up on XBL (gold only). PSN demo should be up later today in the US, tomorrow in the EU, I think.
    Thanks for the heads up! Been looking forward to this one, but I don't know if it's a good idea to release their demo on the week of DEAD RISING 2. :?

If JDS couldn't knock out Roy, I can't imagine him knocking out adamantium skulled Brock. Of course, Cain could win it if he gasses Brock out, and JDS has a much better chance against Cain if he doesn't gas out himself.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited September 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    If JDS couldn't knock out Roy, I can't imagine him knocking out adamantium skulled Brock. Of course, Cain could win it if he gasses Brock out, and JDS has a much better chance against Cain if he doesn't gas out himself.

That about sums it up.

adytum on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I still don't see how that means he lacks the tools to beat Brock. He just has to beat him before he gasses.

Does Rampage lack the tools to beat Rashad, or Hendo to beat Shields? Both those fights were 1-sided except for 1 big punch, but it's not like odds on either rematch would be -550 or something.

BubbaT on
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    We don't know exactly how JDS has gotten better on the ground game. Also, you have to factor in that he's constantly being trained by The Spider and Minotauro.

Carwin exhausted himself because he got too blood thirsty when he went for the finish. JDS's stamina will be improved, and his shots will definitely be more precise.

If there's an clear opening, he will definitely go for a submission. He's not that much smaller than Brock, and I'm confident that he learned well from Nogueira.

doug_grammar on
    edited September 2010
    They're about the same height but Brock has a lot of pounds on JDS.

Hopefully JDS recognizes he needs to improve his conditioning. "Beat Brock before I gas" didn't work for Carwin, and Carwin (arguably) has heavier hands than JDS.

adytum on
    edited September 2010

I still don't see how that means he lacks the tools to beat Brock. He just has to beat him before he gasses.

Does Rampage lack the tools to beat Rashad, or Hendo to beat Shields? Both those fights were 1-sided except for 1 big punch, but it's not like odds on either rematch would be -550 or something.

I'd say conditioning and stamina are a pretty important tool in the MMA toolbox!

And I'm not sure Rampage has the mental faculty to beat anyone besides himself! (joking!)

adytum on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm pretty excited about seeing Gambruyan and Aldo go at it. Hoping for Aldo via leg kick of death. I saw a clip where he used them low kicks to soccer kick a downed opponent and fuuuuuuck that was scary.

Unrelated: Oh Willy, what did you do now?

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey guys check out my totally rad new signature/avatar/location/custome title! Big thanks Organichu for this really creepy look at Frank Mir grabbing a guys leg with a even creepier look on his face.

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey guys check out my totally rad new signature/avatar/location/custome title! Big thanks Organichu for this really creepy look at Frank Mir grabbing a guys leg with a even creepier look on his face.

Man I don't know if he's about to O, or already did.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

I know I did.

edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

I know I did.

Well you guys have a month to decide on your own!

Metal Jared on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    i'm off frame, smiling at him

Organichu on
    edited September 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    i'm off frame, smiling at him

Because you're almost there?

adytum on
    edited September 2010
    correct

also, i cribbed the 'location' from the PA comic where gabe makes alterations to his wiki-page

Organichu on
    edited September 2010
    correct

also, i cribbed the 'location' from the PA comic where gabe makes alterations to his wiki-page
    It is an amazing choice in all aspects. I salute you.

What's next for Mir now? Dana can't be too happy with his last performance. Will he "punish" him by feeding him to a roided up Carwin in a rematch?

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Frank Mir pooped in a secret place

Yougottawanna on
    edited September 2010
    i don't know who they plan on sending against mir

all i know is that since his loss to vera, he's done really fucking well and put on a lot of good fights and if white seriously considering cutting him for one bad performance that culminated in a ko- a bad performance that he owned up to immediately- i'll be fucking pissed

Organichu on
    edited September 2010

all i know is that since his loss to vera, he's done really fucking well and put on a lot of good fights
    But since this is Dana White we're talking about, I expect:

Mir vs Roidwin

Loser gets cut

Final Destination no items

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

all i know is that since his loss to vera, he's done really fucking well and put on a lot of good fights
    But since this is Dana White we're talking about, I expect:

Mir vs Roidwin

Loser gets cut

Final Destination no items

Sometimes I wonder if it would be better if someone else ran UFC and Dana just promoted it. Like a shadow owner who acted rationally while White was out there smacking dudes with his dick.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010
    carwin strikes me as a bad matchup (again) if mir doesn't smarten up. the dude is a much better wrestler and hits much harder, even with inside punches, so mir's recent fascination with the clinch (when he's not a particularly good wrestler or powerful striker) is kind of ridiculous.

we'll see, i guess.

Organichu on
    edited September 2010
    It's a good matchup.

For seeing Mir KTFO'd.

adytum on
    edited September 2010

all i know is that since his loss to vera, he's done really fucking well and put on a lot of good fights and if white seriously considering cutting him for one bad performance that culminated in a ko- a bad performance that he owned up to immediately- i'll be fucking pissed

Dana says this about every fighter in a bad fight, except for Stephan Bonnar, he said it about Silva, he will say it again. I'm sure it's just a ploy for Mir to do something in his next fight.

I'm hoping for Mir vs. Big Country. They both have BJJ skills, and there isn't any possible way Mir can knock him out given the last fight Big Country gave us.

Someone call Joe Silva! Or whoever does match making for the UFC.

Metal Jared on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    That's Mir holding Brock's leg, isn't it?

JustinSane07 on
    edited September 2010
    correct

Just so everyone knows what Organichu is talking about:
    217528451_b3haA-L-2.jpg

Metal Jared on
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Not that dana white would every cut someone for losing one fight then watch as they go to another organization and beat one of the greatest fighters in the world.

CangoFett on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I thought the Werdum cut was because of failed and bitter contract negotiations? They didn't cut him because he lost one fight

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    For the next UFC event I'd like to make an avatar/sig wager, but I don't want to make an avatar/sig :/
    (Preferably for my boys Sexyama or Cheick Kongo)

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
    edited September 2010
    Organichu is well-versed in choosing and creating creepy avatar and sig combos. Maybe you can enlist his help?

adytum on
    edited September 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    I thought the Werdum cut was because of failed and bitter contract negotiations? They didn't cut him because he lost one fight
    Dana White: "You lost one fight. Now I can pay you like shit on this new contract just like all the other suckers."

Werdum: "...FUCK YOU (OOO OOO OOOO)"

edited September 2010
    That was a good one. :^:

adytum on
    edited September 2010
    Organichu is well-versed in choosing and creating creepy avatar and sig combos. Maybe you can enlist his help?

I'm living proof!

Metal Jared on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Here is Miguel Torres teaching us how to handle eggs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwnsAH3-6II

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Here is Miguel Torres teaching us how to handle eggs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwnsAH3-6II

An ancient ninja technique from thousands of years ago... Blowing an egg

Metal Jared on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    great, now i have to go find an egg to boil
    truly mixing the martial arts

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This should've been on Fight Science.

doug_grammar on
    edited September 2010
    I'm eating a lot of hardboiled eggs right now and I approve of Zzulu's post.

adytum on