As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Guitar Hero: Baby loves to dance in the dark

1575859606163»

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aha, here's 2112. Gotta love that flavor text:

"Reclaim the Legendary Guitar by performing an anthem honoring the triumph of the creative spirit over cultural oppression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1rajhoeW58

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fuck it, I'll be that guy.

This will be purchased today.

chamberlain on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

"Reclaim the Legendary Guitar by performing an anthem honoring the triumph of the creative spirit over cultural oppression.

But the album ends with the main character killing himself. Oy.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I picked up Dead Rising 2 today at GameStop and the clerk had on a GH:WoR shirt

I chuckled

UnbreakableVow on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Because he didn't triumph, too. Oy vey!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Because he didn't triumph, too. Oy vey!

'Futility' seems like an appropriate theme for Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sounds different from the original album....

New recording or alternate mix?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The answer to that depends on how forthright they would be at telling people the version they used was an alternate version.

It's still just as likely that the mix is different enough for the format to make people think it isn't the same version. This is not a new development by any stretch.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited September 2010
    I'll need to hear it on better speakers (this laptop's cut in and out something fierce) but given the opening narration, it might be a re-recording. I have 2 copies of them doing 2112 live from a few years back as well as the original album. I'll be able to tell when I hear Geddy's voice.

There was also a lack of echo during the guitar parts which first piqued my interest. But like you said, it's probably just remixed. I'll be able to tell tomorrow.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Nobody puts Baby in...uh...I mean, nobody mixes like Hamronix. Well except if it's Death Magnetic.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Even if it is the original recordings, it is mixed differently for the game than it is on the album, so you can probably hear parts you didnt hear before. After watching the whole video, I noticed two things:

1. There was alot of ghost notes that they didnt chart for drums (not sure on their policy in the past for such things, but they would have been charted for the most part in Rock Band)

2. It sure got mega weird at the end there with the guitar and the headless band member. Like, creepy weird and stuff.

quovadis13 on
  • jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It is a new recording. There are parts of the guitar solos, and parts of the vocals that are completely different. I am not familiar enough with the drums to tell if they are also different.

In other news, this game is kicking my arse. I can't even pass a few of the last tier songs.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
    edited September 2010
    Finally got the first semi-reputable review (from IGN), and, well...
    Sadly, Neversoft doesn't seem to have gotten within sight of the tree. From a confused setlist that doesn't jibe with the game's heavy metal aesthetic to wildly varying difficulty and a lack of accessiblilty that might make it the hardest Guitar Hero game in recent memory for casual players to get into, I was left with a final question that I was never able to answer - why Warriors of Rock is here.

6/10

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/112/1123848p1.html#ixzz10rZC81Pl

Ouch.

Edit: what the hell.
    Then there are the songs that just don't belong in Guitar Hero; as much as I love NIN and their Broken EP, a song like "Wish" just isn't any fun in the context of Guitar Hero, where guitars have been declared king, but half of the song is composed of synth lines mapped to the touch sensitive trackpad that Neversoft added in Guitar Hero World Tour (which is used liberally in GH:WoR, despite its absence on the Guitar Hero axe being released in tandem with the new game).

cloudeagle on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So IGN is saying that the game isn't metal enough?

I thought that was the whole point.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited September 2010
    Sounds more like a reviewer who doesn't know or understand that you can just tap those notes.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited September 2010
    Sounds more like a reviewer who doesn't know or understand that you can just tap those notes.

He does bitch a bit much about song selection, but my point is that it's weird that they've kept the touch strip functionality when everyone hates it and the new guitars don't support it.

cloudeagle on
  • JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    jaziek wrote: »
    In other news, this game is kicking my arse. I can't even pass a few of the last tier songs.

So you're only, like, ten-starring the songs?

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
    edited September 2010

He does bitch a bit much about song selection, but my point is that it's weird that they've kept the touch strip functionality when everyone hates it and the new guitars don't support it.

Either Neversoft didn't have anything do to with the new guitar designs or they put in support for a functionality that does exist. Complaining that they support the touch strip, shitty as it is, is a bit like complaining that they don't support the RB solo frets. Or suggesting that HMX should program RB to support solo tapping on non-solo frets (which they should do) because other guitars don't have them.

Frankly, it's admirable that they are supporting older equipment rather than just straight up abandoning it.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited September 2010

Either Neversoft didn't have anything do to with the new guitar designs or they put in support for a functionality that does exist. Complaining that they support the touch strip, shitty as it is, is a bit like complaining that they don't support the RB solo frets. Or suggesting that HMX should program RB to support solo tapping on non-solo frets (which they should do) because other guitars don't have them.

Frankly, it's admirable that they are supporting older equipment rather than just straight up abandoning it.

But keep in mind that the solo frets are less obtrusive than the touch strip cues. By which I mean you're never prompted to use the solo frets to do anything. But with the touch strip, anyone who is just getting into GH for the first time with Pig Hero (very unlikely, but humor me) and only has the new guitar might look at all the purple zig-zagging lines and go "what the bloody hell?"

cloudeagle on
  • JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    At least it's some cue where they would ask somebody "what are the purple lines for?" and get an answer.

There's absolutely no cue that solo frets should work as they do.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nocren wrote: »

Overture and Temples of Syrinx sound different for sure, but Discovery, Presentation, Oracle: A Dream, Soliloquy, and Grand Finale all sound exactly the same as the studio version. Soo... o_O

Sangheili91 on
    edited September 2010

But keep in mind that the solo frets are less obtrusive than the touch strip cues. By which I mean you're never prompted to use the solo frets to do anything. But with the touch strip, anyone who is just getting into GH for the first time with Pig Hero (very unlikely, but humor me) and only has the new guitar might look at all the purple zig-zagging lines and go "what the bloody hell?"

They both suck. I'm only pointing out that GH6's support of the touch strip isn't as crazy as you might think.

I'm also not sure that arguing about a mythical 'newcomer' to the GH series is especially effective. I genuinely fail to see how GH6 is supposed to be as, if not more than, enticing as Band Hero was for a general kind of audience. At this point, if GH6 is a person's first encounter with the series or genre, then woe betide them. They almost deserve the frustration at that point.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The touch strip itself is awful but the 'rope note' gameplay mechanic is fine, imo. There is nothing wrong with Neversoft continuing to chart it.

Dehumanized on
  • XeroxKopyXeroxKopy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ahahaha! Okay, this might be the best thing ever.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI80w7_8RKw&hd=1

XeroxKopy on
    GT: Xerox Kopy
  • Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh my god

Neversoft are ARTISTS

that was the most brilliant thing ever, and all is forgiven

Sangheili91 on
    edited September 2010
    I love the way the pig blows smoke out of his nostrils even when he's singing.

cloudeagle on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    and i thought zombie kurt cobain couldn't be outdone

edit: the animations are pretty awesome, though...

Dehumanized on
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    bahaha oh man. That was worth it

BlindPsychic on
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nocren wrote: »

Overture and Temples of Syrinx sound different for sure, but Discovery, Presentation, Oracle: A Dream, Soliloquy, and Grand Finale all sound exactly the same as the studio version. Soo... o_O

It sounds like a live version from back in the 70s.

Edit: Also, holy shit, that Bohemian Rhapsody video... There are no words...

TubularLuggage on
    edited September 2010
    It's too bad Rock Band doesn't do song specific animations. Seeing the singer do Micheal Jackson's dance during Beat It and this... it's awesome.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited September 2010
    The drummer still looks like a trundle puppet.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    XeroxKopy wrote: »
    Ahahaha! Okay, this might be the best thing ever.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI80w7_8RKw&hd=1
    You know, I watch that, and all I can think of it this:
    Muppet Bohemian Rhapsody
    And between the two, I can't figure out which video is more ridiculous.

Edit: On further review, I think the instrumental breakdown in the Muppet version was better animated and more life-like than the GH version.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    edited September 2010
    I should write a coin flip java app for just such an occasion...

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I did like that -- I think music video specific animations could kick ass, and the drow chick doesn't look all that bad. But the sudden jumps of people's positions on stage kind of defeated the point.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited September 2010
    Meh. Rock Band has been doing that for three years, now. The presentation in this is better than previous GH games where everybody just looked like they were going through a scripted list of movesets. Much more mechanical and detached than jump cuts to new positions for artistic purposes.

It's distracting seeing them in a beast appearance, however.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That guy doesn't even have a head! How is he singing?!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    JC of DI wrote: »
    jaziek wrote: »

So you're only, like, ten-starring the songs?

I've finished the quest mode. Talking about quickplay. Can't pass Fury of the Storm, This day we fight or Speeding.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This game is a goddamn tragedy.

75% of it is actually pretty good. Then there's the rest.

And lol at them bleeping out the word 'cocaine.'

chamberlain on
    edited September 2010
    Is it bad that when I read Cocaine I pictured Dr. Rockzo saying it?

lionheart_m on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    Reading this thread, they need to make a Muppets Rock Band/Guitar Hero.

And someone needs to start a new thread. We are sending this one to Centuria.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
This discussion has been closed.