As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Android] Thread: The root of all roms - market.android.com now live

• Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm looking for an app that will allow me to create ring profiles. Basically when I go to bed, I don't want to be hearing emails come in every 20 minutes or text messages, but would still like to receive calls and have my alarm ring.

I've tried a few different ones, but haven't hit on a good one yet. Thoughts?

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tasker can probably handle that. (I haven't played with it yet to know for sure...)

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm looking for an app that will allow me to create ring profiles. Basically when I go to bed, I don't want to be hearing emails come in every 20 minutes or text messages, but would still like to receive calls and have my alarm ring.

I've been using an app called AudioManager. Lets you set every single item to a different volume (or silent or vibrate), and has a slick looking widget on the screen. Free version has ads, pro version is a couple bucks and loses those and lets you use skins.

That or use Quick Settings, not as pretty but you can set everything separately quickly.

Allforce on
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Whats a decent app for podcasts?

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Google Listen is what I use but I'm not a guy who downloads a lot of podcasts. If I'm in a place to listen to one I just usually just stream the latest one.

Allforce on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OSUJumpMan wrote: »
    they already offer Kindle as an app on android phones. maybe they're planning on making the kindle do more than books?

That's what I was thinking, yes. Potentially making the kindle run a modified Android OS. Man that'd be interesting.

it'd be kind of funny, considering the nook already runs a modified Android OS

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Ringleader?

Alegis on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, I'm in the market for a new phone... nothing too snazzy. I generally do most of my communicating through texting, and as such was looking at the Xperia X10 Mini Pro. I like the small form factor, the QWERTY keyboard, and the connectivity stuff. So, anybody have any experience with it?

I know it's only on Android 1.6, though apparently it is going to be upgraded to 2.1. But I don't really know what the differences are between the various Android versions. Can someone shed some light on that?

oldmanken on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    man so i finally caved and got the epic 4g. its pretty bananas. i upgraded from a nokia feature phone that ive had for 5 years that literally didnt do anything but make calls. its going to take me forever to stop messing with this thing lol. someone give me a quick list of essential apps to check out.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    man so i finally caved and got the epic 4g. its pretty bananas. i upgraded from a nokia feature phone that ive had for 5 years that literally didnt do anything but make calls. its going to take me forever to stop messing with this thing lol. someone give me a quick list of essential apps to check out.

OP son, get AppBrain.com profile set up and just grab shit off all our profile pages. AppBrain App makes it easy to just suck it all down with one click for complete awesome overload.

The problem is if you can't put it down now, it just won't stop. If you're a customizer junkie like me whatever I have is never enough. I'm always tweaking shit and looking for new apps.

Allforce on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So for those with Tasker, is there a way to set an event for me silencing my phone?

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    so what on this here android do i need to use to chat on aim? also will it decimate my battery life to be signed on to aim?

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    so what on this here android do i need to use to chat on aim? also will it decimate my battery life to be signed on to aim?

Trillian will work. It shouldn't.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The AIM app is not too shabby either.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like imo.im's app. It's very lightweight and supports Skype text chatting, too. It's simple, but really well done.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    First message from my phone, isn't it exciting? Swype works a lot better than I would have thought.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Only problems I've been having with Swype is it keeps going to "that'd" rather than "that's", "theres" instead of "there's" and "shes" instead of "she's" for some reason, even if I'm really careful.

I invariably just give up and type those words in manually.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    alright so what do i need to do to get doom on this phone? i hear it can be done, and ive got the wads on my PC from owning the games on steam...

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Only problems I've been having with Swype is it keeps going to "that'd" rather than "that's", "theres" instead of "there's" and "shes" instead of "she's" for some reason, even if I'm really careful.

After using it a bit it figures out what gesture you're using and will give you the correct word. I had a lot of issues with "you" and "your" as they're all in the top row. Now I do a little loopty loop thing through the O and U and it comes up every time.

Allforce on
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Can anyone recommend a good alarm app? I don't have an alarm clock; I've been using my phone as my alarm for years. But the alarm that comes with this phone gives up after not very long. I need one that will keep bugging me until I turn it off.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Put the G2 in the op! It is the sequel to the number one hit the G1

Langly on
  • Options
    nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm getting an error with the SD card on my Droid X. It says SD card blank or has unsupoprted filesystem and I can't format it. It is the card that came with the phone. :O

Edit.
    it's actually running really hot now too...

nerve on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, two days now with the HTC Desire.

I <3 it and I <3 Android. Not enjoyed using a phone this much for years; really glad I chose it over the iPhone 4 now (was a close one).

Wish I had 2.2 but rooting sounds a wee bit scary. Hope 3 hurry up with an update to Froyo for me.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My equipment (aka my G2) has been shipped!

Edit: T-Mobile took their time sending their text message. apparently it shipped yesterday and is halfway here already.

looks like it did end up going to my parent's house after all gahh... At least they only live like 10 miles away.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    End wrote: »

Edit: T-Mobile took their time sending their text message. apparently it shipped yesterday and is halfway here already.

looks like it did end up going to my parent's house after all gahh... At least they only live like 10 miles away.

Ok, so I also just got my message. Apparently I am getting it tomorrow? But the phone doesn't come out till october? I am just confused. I thought it would be here next week at the earliest!

Langly on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Did you get a tracking number?

I dunno, yeah I guess it isn't suppose to release until next week, but UPS says friday for mine.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Any g2 questions? I've got a unit in front of me right now.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I got a tracking number, it'll be here tomorrow. Evander how awesome is it?

Langly on
  • Options
    nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Frack, this error is burning through my battery so hard too.

nerve on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Evander wrote: »

The other previews I've seen indicate that it's running something very, very close to stock Froyo. What sort of apps has T-Mobile decided to preload alongside that? Any HTC stuff going on?

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    SpamSpam Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I <3 it and I <3 Android. Not enjoyed using a phone this much for years; really glad I chose it over the iPhone 4 now (was a close one).

Wish I had 2.2 but rooting sounds a wee bit scary. Hope 3 hurry up with an update to Froyo for me.

2.2 has been out on the Desire on 3 (UK) for a while - just force an update (Settings > About Phone > System Software Updates) and it should pick it up.

Spam on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Spam wrote: »

2.2 has been out on the Desire on 3 (UK) for a while - just force an update (Settings > About Phone > System Software Updates) and it should pick it up.

Thanks, tried it already though - doesn't seem to find it. Not sure why. D:

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cyvros wrote: »

Try to run over period key when you're typing those words? I found that it inserts the apostrophe.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    nerve wrote: »
    Frack, this error is burning through my battery so hard too.

Since everyone seems to be glossing over this, I will go ahead and reply with a suggestion:

Take that SD card out for now.

Allforce on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    End wrote: »

Ok, so I also just got my message. Apparently I am getting it tomorrow? But the phone doesn't come out till october? I am just confused. I thought it would be here next week at the earliest!

Everyone who ordered their phones in the preorder is getting their phone early. October 6th is just the street date and the latest they say anyone who preordered will get their phones.

I'm getting mine Friday! :D

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Evander wrote: »

The other previews I've seen indicate that it's running something very, very close to stock Froyo. What sort of apps has T-Mobile decided to preload alongside that? Any HTC stuff going on?

it honestly IS stock froyo, just adapted for the hardware of the phone, and given a couple of extra panels. it has the same app tray (with the things fading off at the edges) as the Nexus.

a couple of tmobile apps like my account and web2go are on there. most of the other preinstalled apps are various google things like goggles and voice and earth. there is over a gig of free ROM space to install more apps on to, though, so I wouldn't worry about the pre-installed stuff.

While HTC made the phone, it's a t-mobile phone more than it is an HTC phone. Don't expect to have any sort of "sense" experience with it.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    Evander how awesome is it?

It's alright, I guess.

I mean, I'm not being down on it, but it's not enough of a leap beyond my Nexus to make me want one. The speed is definitely a leap forward, both in processor (clock speed ain't nothin' but a number, baby) and the net speeds (HSPA+ is a glorious thing). The screen looks really nice for an LCD (making me wonder if it is Super LCD). The keyboard feels a tiny bit cramped to me, but otherwise it is pretty good. The version of swype that it is running is the same as the one on the Epic (from what I can tell) where there is a mic button on the keyboard as well (the one thing I've always hated missing out on with swype beta on my nexus.) It would be nice if it had a larger screen, or an FFC, but it still has a nice sized screen and the camera that it does have works well.

Overall it is a solid phone, and anyone who likes speed is going to love it.

One neat little thing about it is that the battery door comes off by flicking a little switch to release it, rather than having to pry or slide it.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The extra space is definitely a HUGE thing I am looking forward to. I can't fit big apps like Tetris onto my MyTouch Slide right now what with how many apps I already have installed.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, the extra space and HSPA+ (and the processor) are ALMOST enough to make me want the G2.

But the lack of FFC, and the fact that I paid $530 for my Nexus only 6 and a half months ago are enough to keep me from taking the plunge.

If I had a slide, there would be no question

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh hey is the wifi calling app on the phone like people have speculated?

Centipede Damascus on