As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2011 PAX Forum Challenge Coin - ORDERS CLOSED. That's it!

• thehunter1320thehunter1320 Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    Considering Boston and what has been put forward thus far, Paul Revere and some other icon of gaming culture sounds like a perfect fit for this coin. I'll take one, please! :)

thehunter1320 on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I still stand by the fact that Fenway is a big part of Boston, since the red sox are one of the oldest teams in baseball. However most paxers not being sports fans I can see why no one else would want it on the coin.

I totally agree that Fenway is one of the things I relate to Boston when I think about it but ya a lot of people aren't sports fans and a lot of people don't like the Red Sox if they are. I am the latter.

I vote for Revere and something gaming related.

As for the front...I'd say we change it each year. We started it late in 2010 and it had the DS on it. Now for 2011 we can do East/Prime with a dice. In 2012 we can maybe use a gamepad or something.

Rdr on
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Random ideas for symbols/sayings on this or future coins:
    • Skull & Crossed cardboard tubes (I'm assuming this is generic enough not to be considered a depiction of PA art??)
    • Dice (Specifically a D20)
    • the Ball, for a Prime coin (again this is something I'm slightly confused about since PA did an "all hail Ball" shirt awhile back)
    • PAX: Where Everybody Knows Your Game

Hell, come to think, if it was kosher you could do a Ball & crossed tubes (all hail ball in latino or something similar)

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    edited September 2010
    flatline wrote: »
    PAX: Where Everybody Knows Your Game

Haha love it. Especially for Boston.

Rdr on
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Random ideas for symbols/sayings on this or future coins:
    • Skull & Crossed cardboard tubes (I'm assuming this is generic enough not to be considered a depiction of PA art??)
    • Dice (Specifically a D20)
    • the Ball, for a Prime coin (again this is something I'm slightly confused about since PA did an "all hail Ball" shirt awhile back)
    • PAX: Where Everybody Knows Your Game

Hell, come to think, if it was kosher you could do a Ball & crossed tubes (all hail ball in latino or something similar)

What about the d20 over crossed tubes?

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
    edited September 2010
    punzie wrote: »

What about the d20 over crossed tubes?

Not sure how I made the leap to "Ball + Tubes" and didn't note the possibility of "D20 + Tubes"... I might have to get a tattoo of that. At least a temporary one.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rdr wrote: »

Haha love it. Especially for Boston.

This. This is golden.

Imperfect on
  • Panic1080Panic1080 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There are some great ideas already. You can count on me to get two coins.

Panic1080 on
    edited September 2010
    Trading cards I can do - I might not be all that artistic, but I can arrange text and pictures on a 2-dimensional surface pretty easily. The coin I'm a little less sure about. I skimmed through the previous thread re: the Prime coin, but didn't have time to digest the whole thing. Who took care of design last time? Is this a specialized thing where we submit a rough mock-up of our ideas and the vendor (NWTM/USCC) takes care of creating the actual design that goes to die? - that would make more sense to me I guess.

My Proposed Design (Open for comment)
    I would say I'd be most interested in a 3D coin, plated in antique nickel. Size-wise, I'm thinking 2" (this seems to be around the sweet spot of not too small and not too expensive). For the edges I'd go with plain/no-edge or the basic twisted diamond.

Obverse
    Edge:If everyone likes my suggested slogan, we can bypass the whole Latin/Gaelic debate and have "Where Everybody Knows Your Game" around the edges.
    Face:The design would be a D20 sitting regally above crossed cardboard tubes.

Reverse
    Edge: Follow the Prime coin - "PAX East 2011" , "Boston * Mass"(space permitting) and, "March 11-13"
    Face:I think I'd feature the Paul Revere statue. Either with the Old North Church behind him, as in here:
    istockphoto_9413960-paul-revere-statue-and-old-north-church.jpg
    Or maybe with a little forced perspective, having him large against the cityscape. Something like this, only with a much closer shot of the Revere Statue:
    boston.jpg

Let me know what you guys think. Obviously there's still time to go over plenty of designs, just thought I'd try to get the ball rolling and spur some other people to have ideas.

flatline on
  • benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    fyi, that second picture is a picture of the George Washington statue in boston commons, and not the Paul Revere statue.

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
    edited September 2010
    fyi, that second picture is a picture of the George Washington statue in boston commons, and not the Paul Revere statue.

Yeah, sorry if that wasn't clear. Davids Blaine and/or Copperfield were not enlisted to make Old North Church disappear from that pic (or to transplant Revere to the Common). I was just presenting the idea of the statue against a city-scape as an alternative to those who didn't like the "real" background. Sort of a mish-mash of both old and new Boston.

flatline on
    edited September 2010
    gotcha lol, hmm an interesting idea, not sure how it will show up on a coin though, could become too busy and make it hard to make things out.

Also I think if you do that, you won't really be able to tell its Paul Revere without old north somehow in the background, or some type of lantern hanging or something. To me both the statues just look like someone on a horse. Can't even tell the difference unless you look at their faces.

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    How about the old north church tower, only where the lanterns would go, put a super mario bros star?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    How about the old north church tower, only where the lanterns would go, put a super mario bros star?

That would be pretty damn epic. Also, to whoever suggested the d20 over crossed cardboard tubes, that's an awesome idea, and puts some PA love right onto the card :D

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am just going to put this out there.

Just the face:

mov99-9.gif

Goose! on
    edited September 2010
    We want this coin to inspire fond memories, not nightmares, Goose.

Imperfect on
    edited September 2010
    Imperfect wrote: »
    We want this coin to inspire fond memories, not nightmares, Goose.

Alternate edge-text: How Do You Like Them Apples? or I'm F***ing Matt Damon

flatline on
    edited September 2010
    too many movies are set in Boston, including one of my favorite, Boondock Saints. Though I don't think we should do anything movie related, instead if your interested just go on the Boston Movie Tours.

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm not digging the whole cardboard tube thing. I don't know about any of you, but I come to PAX because of what PAX is, not Penny Arcade. I love Mike and Jerry and they're fantastic people, and I do read Penny Arcade every day, but Penny Arcade itself is not the reason PAX is so special to me. PAX is special because of the community, the events, the parties, and most of all, the games. PAX is a gaming convention put on by gamers, and they happen to have a webcomic.

I think we got into this debate a little bit in the Prime thread, so forgive me if I'm rehashing. Basically, I think this should be a PAX coin, not a Penny Arcade coin. Thus, things like the CTS, the fruit fucker, Automata, etc. should be left out. It's not that I don't like those things, it's just that they don't represent PAX.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Onmitsu wrote: »
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

That would be pretty damn epic. Also, to whoever suggested the d20 over crossed cardboard tubes, that's an awesome idea, and puts some PA love right onto the card :D

Also, this.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
    edited September 2010
    too many movies are set in Boston, including one of my favorite, Boondock Saints. Though I don't think we should do anything movie related, instead if your interested just go on the Boston Movie Tours.
    Just so we're clear I was taking the piss on that last bit - my original suggestion still stands, but no one is seriously considering using Matt Damon or another movie. I think that was pretty clear, just want to make sure.
    Arco wrote: »
    I'm not digging the whole cardboard tube thing.
    I think we got into this debate a little bit in the Prime thread, so forgive me if I'm rehashing. Basically, I think this should be a PAX coin, not a Penny Arcade coin. Thus, things like the CTS, the fruit fucker, Automata, etc. should be left out. It's not that I don't like those things, it's just that they don't represent PAX.
    That's fair I suppose, although I think the bigger focus here is the D20, with the crossed-tubes just being a little piratey thing that hints at PA. If it's not something that Khoo would disapprove of, I don't think it's overt enough to be "too" penny arcade.

flatline on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I dislike the idea of a pirate style moniker. Doesn't say PAX to me, even with a d20 and cardboard tubes (the tubes probably would end up looking like lines on a coin.

I think a hand holding a d20 on its own is fine as is, figure out a Boston related thing for the other side.

Goose! on
  • papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A thought on the Cheers reference:
    Though it is very clever, people will invariably ask "What's with the Cheers reference?" They won't make the connection to Boston.
    I also am in agreement with Arco insofar as the PA references go. PAX and Penny Arcade are separate considerations. I'm therefore not convinced that cardboard tubes would be appropriate.
    As for the lanterns replaced with stars: What lanterns? Would the stars even be visible on the coin, even with all the forced perspective of that stock photo?

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
    edited October 2010
    papaprinny wrote: »
    A thought on the Cheers reference:
    Though it is very clever, people will invariably ask "What's with the Cheers reference?" They won't make the connection to Boston.

You're probably right. However, as a counterpoint, I'm also pretty sure I would have to explain the latin phrase to most people, and I'm fairly certain that a large proportion of the PAX population wouldn't even know it was a Wil Wheaton quote or anything without yet more explanation.

flatline on
    edited October 2010
    Also, consider that not everyone attending is from the States, nor understands famous USA geographical/historical features/figures.

For example, the whole Paul Revere thing is little more than a foreign anecdote up here in Canuckistan, but EVERYONE knows about Cheers and that the bar is in Boston.

Imperfect on
    edited October 2010
    The cheers reference and logos on the back (revere) are two different things.

Its Boston. I think its almost a given that Revere or something has to represent. Even if people are out of the country then it's a conversation starter and they learn something about the US and Boston's history. I don't feel like the logo should be changed to something recognized by everyone. That's what the front is for with the dice or whatever we decide on.

The latin/cheers ref is definitely more flexible I think.

Rdr on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I completely blanked on whatever reference that was. Never seen Cheers, never even really heard of it.

Heleor on
    edited October 2010
    Heleor wrote: »
    I completely blanked on whatever reference that was. Never seen Cheers, never even really heard of it.

Cheers was a very very popular tv show that ran throughly the 80s and early 90s. Starred Ted Danson, Kristie Alley, Woody Harrelson and Kelsey Grammer.

The motto was , "Where everyone knows your name"

The show is set in the famous Cheers bar in Boston.

Rdr on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It is kind of funny that Cheers was set in Boston and Frasier was in Seattle.

VisionOfClarity on
  • acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It is kind of funny that Cheers was set in Boston and Frasier was in Seattle.

Once again, you live up to your alias Vision, but then again, Frasier was the spin off of Cheers while East spun off of Prime

it's Friday and I'm bored

acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    I like the Cheers reference. Granted, I grew up watching the show.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• rentfnrentfn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I friggin LOVE that!!!

rentfn on
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    rentfn wrote: »

I friggin LOVE that!!!

That's pretty awesome rentfn!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just so we're clear... Prime's coin trumps East's coin, right? (By virtue of age, if nothing else) ;)

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    edited October 2010
    I shouldn't even admit this, because it gives me a -5 penalty, but I didn't even make the PAX-Boston connection when I jotted down "where everybody knows your game" as an idea. I heard the cheers theme or something earlier in the day and I was brainstorming ideas, just bouncing around what PAX meant to me - games, but also camaraderie and kinship. Being recognized and accepted - ONE OF US, that type of thing. When people started connecting PAX-Boston-Cheers I was like "oh shits, that does make sense. wish I would have thought of it"

flatline on
  • yanksrul5yanksrul5 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    rentfn wrote: »

I friggin LOVE that!!!

DING,DING,DING! I think we have a winner here. I would love to see that on a coin.

yanksrul5 on
    edited October 2010
    We'll definitely keep it on the table. But it's a long way from here to East. It won't be set in stone until later. For now, go ahead and set "Where everybody knows your game" to the side, as it's definitely a finalist. To continue to wax over it will be unproductive; I would prefer that we think of other things to consider as well.

papaprinny on
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Two if by Lan three if by BEC

ZeroHourHero on
    edited October 2010
    I like the one if... two if... format. But the coin would be great if we could get something unique, that you can find only at PAX. Let's not tie ourselves to rhymes either.

Edit:
    To elaborate: I like the one if by... two if by... format, but it would be great if we could get something unique in the vein of "One if by (something unique to PAX or PAX culture). Two if by (something else unique to PAX or PAX culture).

papaprinny on
    edited October 2010
    Two if by Lan three if by BEC

Did you mean BCEC, or is there a meaning of BEC that I don't get?

I am obviously partial to my suggestions, but I don't really understand this one. Like I said, the Boston connection in mine was an afterthought - I think what is more important is capturing something that is very PAX-related - gaming, camaraderie, community, things like that. Wheaton's Law (Don't be a dick) is kind of an unofficial slogan/motto/rallying cry, and it represents one of the best keynotes (PAX or otherwise) that I have ever heard.

You guys can probably surprise me, but off the top of my head the only "One if by..." that I can immediately relate to PAX is "One if by Hynes, Two if by BCEC" since this is the second year, etc etc. And that is obviously a dumb slogan.

Someone who is more versed in Latin could come up with something along the lines of morituri te salutant (We who are about to die salute you) and make it something like "We who are about to game salute you". Not sure that Latin would have a verb for that but you could probably use "compete" or something similar.

I'm certainly not deadset on using my ideas - I said specifically that I hoped it would spur other people into brainstorming better ones. I'm just not a huge fan of this particular idea. Keep trying!

flatline on