As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Xmarks closes doors

LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
http://blog.xmarks.com/

How the hell am I going to synchronize my bookmarks across three different browsers now? This service has been invaluable to me.

LoneIgadzra on

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    do all the browsers use the same file format.

if so just symbolic link all three browser's favorite folders to where you want to keep your favorites?

Buttcleft on
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Three browsers, three computers. Not really an option.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm sure you won't like them as much, but there are some alternatives to it.

Or you can just set up your own private links page on some web space. Things like this are one of the reasons I never seem to bother with, well, things like this.

Roland_tHTG on
  • kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Export your bookmarks to an HTML file and keep it on a USB drive so you can store it locally on all 3 computers. Or take that HTML file and upload it to a website and keep it up-to-date.

kitch on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Opera does this automagically.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Three browsers, three computers. Not really an option.

on the same network?

If so link them to a shared folder.

Buttcleft on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2010
    you have no choice; you must switch to mac, pay for mobile me, and start using Safari everywhere.

Also, get an iPhone and an iPad for maximum sync.

;-)

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    kitch wrote: »
    Export your bookmarks to an HTML file and keep it on a USB drive so you can store it locally on all 3 computers. Or take that HTML file and upload it to a website and keep it up-to-date.

That's like a trillion times more complicated than using xmarks. I'm really gonna miss it.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    Xmarks was great for syncing IE, FF, Chrome at home, work, laptop. Nothing else could touch it in ease of use.
    Too bad.

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Opera's pretty easy to use.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Firefox Sync and Google Bookmark Sync are great, and Opera has something that works, but that's not the point; the services aren't unified so if you use more than one browser you're pretty much screwed.

Daedalus on
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Exactly. All the solutions put forward so far are non-solutions. Way too much trouble to be worth doing.

Fucking Opera re-adds all the default Opera bookmarks every time you log into your opera account on a new machine without first deleting them all. Fucking retarded.

If Xmarks let me just store my bookmark sync on a site wherever I wanted, that would be fantastic.

LoneIgadzra on
    edited September 2010
    Exactly. All the solutions put forward so far are non-solutions. Way too much trouble to be worth doing.

Fucking Opera's re-adds all the default Opera bookmarks every time you log into your opera account on a new machine without first deleting them all. Fucking retarded.

If Xmarks let me just store my bookmark sync on a site wherever I wanted, that would be fantastic.

Well, shit, looks like you're in luck:

http://lifehacker.com/5651152/how-to-continue-syncing-bookmarks-with-xmarks-on-your-own-server

Daedalus on
  • K0dosK0dos Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You can try last pass to sync passwords. They have a paid version but I am happy with the free version. It doesn't sync bookmarks that don't have an account associated with it but it at least syncs passwords. I am currently using Chrome for 99% of my browsing so I just use it to sync bookmarks.

K0dos on
    139892.png
  • TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Here's an interesting article about possibly using Chrome or Firefox synchronization facilities in other browsers.

In summary: possible, but not easy. Will probably be made easier in the future.

Tinche on
    We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Also, maybe they're maybe not really closing maybe.
    maybe.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2010
    Also, maybe they're maybe not really closing maybe.
    maybe.

Too late, I already switched to Firefox Sync.

Daedalus on
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've been using Delicious for a while. I'm not sure whether that's the sort of thing you're looking for.

mrflippy on