As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] you, George Lucas!

• CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm actually re-thinking whether I want to live in a city. I think living an hour or two away from a city would be cool but the idea of living in the middle of nowhere has become more appealing to me.

Solution: Live 30 minutes from a city.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    One of the best things about my childhood is that I only did a few stupid things and none of them were intentional.

Incenjucar on
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm actually re-thinking whether I want to live in a city. I think living an hour or two away from a city would be cool but the idea of living in the middle of nowhere has become more appealing to me.

I think my ideal would be living in a busy city, but knowing a really quiet part of it that could be 'mine'

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Haha, I think it's fine to blush or something like that when you think back on your excesses, but. Generally speaking I am a big fan of liking yourself first and foremost, and even the silly and sometimes really stupid stuff you did as a kid shaped you and made you into who you are.

Regretting that sort of seems like regretting yourself. Looking back on your past with understanding and acceptance is important, I think, especially in teaching you how to understand other people and their faults. Turning up your nose and going 'ugh I was such an idiot' is selling yourself short.

i dunno; i mean, everyone assumes that what we're talking about in terms of "regretting one's past" is, like, that time you drank too much, or that girl you probably shouldn't have fucked, etc.

and i don't really regret those things; i guess that going through them was just something that people do when they're young.

i do regret some of the cruelties i inflicted on people. i regret failing out of college and costing my parents money and letting them down. i regret not being a better brother to my brother when he, in turn, was failing out of college. i regret some of the opportunities i wasted.

i mean, i can't go back and change them, and i don't agonize over that kind of shit every day, but just like making mistakes is part of growing up, regretting and learning from one's mistakes is probably a more important part.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Kilroy wrote: »
    Having lived in the middle of nowhere for two decades, I can safely say that its p terrible.
    Kilroy has it right. It's pretty much the fucking worst. Hope you like messing around on the internet, playing video games, and drinking/getting high alone, because there's nothing else to fucking do.

On the other hand doing all of that could turn him into the next Isaac Brock

weigh your decisions carefully, sarksus

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You know what Cass forget the bucket

just tilt your head back and I will deliver my precious cargo directly

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Haha, I think it's fine to blush or something like that when you think back on your excesses, but. Generally speaking I am a big fan of liking yourself first and foremost, and even the silly and sometimes really stupid stuff you did as a kid shaped you and made you into who you are.

Regretting that sort of seems like regretting yourself. Looking back on your past with understanding and acceptance is important, I think, especially in teaching you how to understand other people and their faults. Turning up your nose and going 'ugh I was such an idiot' is selling yourself short.

i dunno; i mean, everyone assumes that what we're talking about in terms of "regretting one's past" is, like, that time you drank too much, or that girl you probably shouldn't have fucked, etc.

and i don't really regret those things; i guess that going through them was just something that people do when they're young.

i do regret some of the cruelties i inflicted on people. i regret failing out of college and costing my parents money and letting them down. i regret not being a better brother to my brother when he, in turn, was failing out of college. i regret some of the opportunities i wasted.

i mean, i can't go back and change them, and i don't agonize over that kind of shit every day, but just like making mistakes is part of growing up, regretting and learning from one's mistakes is probably a more important part.

I dunno if those count as "silly things"

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    I'm starting to regret all those raids.

Is this... growing up? GASP.

Growing up is when you no longer regret the silly stuff you did as a youth

TRUE FACT

i uh

i'm not really sure about this

and the world continues to turn

i'm getting tired of putting up with your shit

how about you knock it off?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well the basic idea is to specifically get away from other people, so what all of you hate is what I find appealing.

Sarksus on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

i regret failing out of college and costing my parents money and letting them down.
    this almost happened to me and the threat of having that level of disappointment scared the shit outta me. it was a great motivator, though. I mean, if I could go back and do it again, I would, but then I wouldn't have learned anything about what drives me. i think recognizing that is a part of growing up

tyrannus on
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I actually enjoyed every raid I attended, but then it was a maximum of like two or three times I had done any one raid in WoW.

I kind of want to level up a new guy in Cataclysm and then just set it down, but the urge is so low I might as well just forget it.

I like how I'm showing signs of personal growth and dropping my WoW addiction and you're all

no it's cool

we'll level worgens

just the first month

c'mon try it

YOU ARE KILLING ME

YOU'RE KILLING MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe
    Choco, you are the worst boyfriend.

I was contrasting our experiences, partially with the fact that I didn't play as much and thus wasn't as burned out.

Not to mention I mentioned the urge being particularly low. :P

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well the basic idea is to specifically get away from other people, so what all of you hate is what I find appealing.

You don't see many hermits these days

What is it about people that you hate?

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kilroy wrote: »
    Having lived in the middle of nowhere for two decades, I can safely say that its p terrible.
    Kilroy has it right. It's pretty much the fucking worst. Hope you like messing around on the internet, playing video games, and drinking/getting high alone, because there's nothing else to fucking do.

I spent a week back at my parents' house over Christmas and it was the most boring week of my life. I pretty much did nothing but watch tv all day.

Kilroy on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh man if I failed out of university that'd be terrible. Like that would just feel like the end of the world.

I might take a break after this year or the next. We'll see.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

TRUE FACT

i uh

what am I doing exactly?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited September 2010
    I went camping in the middle of the Adirondacks last weekend and we drove into a small town nearby. The town had no cellphone reception. I read a couple of their newspapers, mostly about town budgets, some history stories, fundraisers. It was really nice. One night I sat in front of a fire for a few hours and just thought. I was actually sad to leave. I feel like there are too many distractions where I live, doubly so in a city, and were I to live somewhere rural I'd have the time to do the things I really want to do, like improve on my nature photography, astronomy, write, think, etc.

Sarksus on
    edited September 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »

no; they aren't really. those were more serious.

i guess i don't really regret the frivolous things i did while young except insofar as i kind of wish i'd been more serious about other things.

like, i failed out of school my sophomore year in large part because i was playing computer games and partying and drinking and chasing girls and fucking around. i guess i wish i had spent less effort on frivolity there, and more effort on my school.

i mean, i learned some important things being out of school, and had some experiences i otherwise would not have had, so i don't rue that time or anything, but it was definitely a waste of money and not something i'd really encourage someone else to do.

i mean i don't endorse agonizing over past mistakes, but i also don't really think much of the "no regrets ever" philosophy either.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • NotchNotch PottsfieldRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My freshman year of college was so mediocre. I don't know why I'm not acing all of my classes right now. I need to be more committed because I don't have a plan B.

Notch on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Playing Dread made me antsy for Dead Space.

It also made me antsy to go out and be social.

I wonder how much of my craziness is just from social isolation that just doesn't bother me usually.

I just bought dead space! absolutely love it. on chapter 2 right now.

Dead Space is actually too scary for me.

Not gory! Which it is as well.

But just pure scary.

The tension never ever stops.

I don't even think there are Resident Evil-esque saferooms.

I've played few the first 3rd or so so I've been not so scared but yeah god. I love how it rachets up the tension rather than relying on BOO! SCARED YOU!

Casual Eddy on
    edited September 2010

TRUE FACT

i uh

what am I doing exactly?

you're trolling me, and i've been very indulgent up to now.

i'm asking you to stop, politely.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010

You don't see many hermits these days

What is it about people that you hate?

I don't hate people. I just haven't had great luck interacting with them and I'm at a point where I no longer care to try anymore. I've reached a point where I am content to just have myself and my own thoughts for company.

Sarksus on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

no; they aren't really. those were more serious.

i guess i don't really regret the frivolous things i did while young except insofar as i kind of wish i'd been more serious about other things.

like, i failed out of school my sophomore year in large part because i was playing computer games and partying and drinking and chasing girls and fucking around. i guess i wish i had spent less effort on frivolity there, and more effort on my school.

i mean, i learned some important things being out of school, and had some experiences i otherwise would not have had, so i don't rue that time or anything, but it was definitely a waste of money and not something i'd really encourage someone else to do.

i mean i don't endorse agonizing over past mistakes, but i also don't really think much of the "no regrets ever" philosophy either.

Yeah I don't think anyone was saying no regrets. I don't think anyone can honestly and completely avoid some sort of regret. They were just talking about the silly things. The things you shouldn't have worried about but did.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    edited September 2010

I would definitely agree that reflecting on your actions is a really important part of growing up, and we may be talking past each other with our usage of regret.

To put it more plainly, I think it's possible to intelligently let your past actions responsibly inform your current behavior without (overly) being down on your self.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010

TRUE FACT

i uh

what am I doing exactly?

come on, man; [chat]'s in hot water already.

please don't play coy and drag out an argument. i really don't want tube glancing in here. you know what you did, if you wanna argue please PM him or something.

Organichu on
    edited September 2010
    Notch wrote: »
    My freshman year of college was so mediocre. I don't know why I'm not acing all of my classes right now. I need to be more committed because I don't have a plan B.

Once again, prostitution is legal in Toronto now

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited September 2010

It's really the cure-all of [chat] people's problems at the moment.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh man if I failed out of university that'd be terrible. Like that would just feel like the end of the world.

I might take a break after this year or the next. We'll see.

I took a break for a year. Got a temporary job, paid down some loans, applied to grad schools. I don't recommend it.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    edited September 2010
    I sometimes have moments where I'm so ashamed of something I suddenly remember that I have a physical reaction, like I feel really uncomfortable and shitty and sometimes bury my face in my hands

it's very very strange. doesn't happen too often though

Casual Eddy on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Organichu wrote: »

TRUE FACT

i uh

what am I doing exactly?

come on, man; [chat]'s in hot water already.

please don't play coy and drag out an argument. i really don't want tube glancing in here. you know what you did, if you wanna argue please PM him or something.

ok assume I know what I did, but I still didn't

fine Will, if that's how you see it I'll stop. might want to take a gander at some of the things you say sometime, and maybe take a joke?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited September 2010
    I sometimes have moments where I'm so ashamed of something I suddenly remember that I have a physical reaction, like I feel really uncomfortable and shitty and sometimes bury my face in my hands

It's pretty natural.

Or I'm wrong and we're brothers in weirdness.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    edited September 2010

I'll keep that in mind. :P

Notch on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2010

I've been having this problem this semester. I wasn't putting enough time into my classes. Try to block out a period of study time and keep reminding yourself that you have to stick with it. Get a notebook and write down your assignments and due dates so you don't forget anything. Today I went to the library after class and I identified what I was having trouble with (in chemistry) and then I went though the textbook and read the relevant sections and did the assignments until I got it. It feels good after you do it.

Sarksus on
    edited September 2010
    deadspace 2 probably isn't going to be good

I say this knowing absolutely nothing about the game though

Casual Eddy on
    edited September 2010

It's really the cure-all of [chat] people's problems at the moment.

I could just copy and paste that response to everything

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited September 2010

I've been having this problem this semester. I wasn't putting enough time into my classes. Try to block out a period of study time and keep reminding yourself that you have to stick with it. Get a notebook and write down your assignments and due dates so you don't forget anything. Today I went to the library after class and I identified what I was having trouble with (in chemistry) and then I went though the textbook and read the relevant sections and did the assignments until I got it. It feels good after you do it.

also try punishing yourself. Like, party on friday coming up? well you can't go it fucker unless you do that essay. I'm a huge procrastinator so I had to force myself to start on assignments

Casual Eddy on
    edited September 2010
    deadspace 2 probably isn't going to be good

I say this knowing absolutely nothing about the game though

It sounds like they want more action in it. I'll still give it a shot, they earned that much with how happy I am with the first one.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    edited September 2010
    I'm going to live in Algonquin Provincial Park but I'll come down sometimes for the prostitutes.

Sarksus on
    edited September 2010

I've been doing that exact same thing lately!! The thing I'm regretting is fairly recent, about a year ago, but whenever I think about it I'll have a very similar physical reaction. I hope it passes.

Notch on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2010
    I really like house hunters on hgtv. THe houses are cool and you get to pick apart the couples and try to figure out if they're going to divorce

Casual Eddy on
    edited September 2010

I also found it helpful to purposefully segment your schedule to where you have an hour or two each day where you can't really do anything else but study or read

so, time between classes, breaks between work shifts if you're working a job like that, etc

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
This discussion has been closed.