As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] you, George Lucas!

• OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »
    I sometimes have moments where I'm so ashamed of something I suddenly remember that I have a physical reaction, like I feel really uncomfortable and shitty and sometimes bury my face in my hands

it's very very strange. doesn't happen too often though

It's pretty natural.

Or I'm wrong and we're brothers in weirdness.

I get this sometimes. Sucks. Just got to rip your mind away from dwelling on social failures of the past.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    tyrannus wrote: »
    he's trope after trope because he helped defined most of them? i mean, he did such a good job in those movies that his career was the only one not shot to death
    hey

hey

carrie fischer was in 30 rock

her career is totally not shot to death

MikeMan on
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hm... the lack of a proper image editor is annoying.

But yay for Word's trimming command!

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I went camping in the middle of the Adirondacks last weekend and we drove into a small town nearby. The town had no cellphone reception. I read a couple of their newspapers, mostly about town budgets, some history stories, fundraisers. It was really nice. One night I sat in front of a fire for a few hours and just thought. I was actually sad to leave. I feel like there are too many distractions where I live, doubly so in a city, and were I to live somewhere rural I'd have the time to do the things I really want to do, like improve on my nature photography, astronomy, write, think, etc.

Living in a rural area is usually a shitload of work that swiftly devours most of your free time.

Incenjucar on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I dropped my unspeakable horror of a math class. It was a battle I was not going to win and it's not required for me to get my degree, nor is it immediately applicable to my research and barely applicable to my field in general, which is more about probability than theoretical math surrounding physics.

Unfortunately, it was 4 credit hours and I needed to add a dissertation credit to cover the gap and prevent myself from losing funding. Holy fucking shit that was a lot of paper work. I'm so very glad that my advisor was on board with this drop choice (and that he's the department head).

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OremLK wrote: »
    I sometimes have moments where I'm so ashamed of something I suddenly remember that I have a physical reaction, like I feel really uncomfortable and shitty and sometimes bury my face in my hands

It's pretty natural.

Or I'm wrong and we're brothers in weirdness.

I get this sometimes. Sucks. Just got to rip your mind away from dwelling on social failures of the past.

Yeah, it doesn't happen much and I shake it loose pretty quick. *shrug* it happens

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »
    he's trope after trope because he helped defined most of them? i mean, he did such a good job in those movies that his career was the only one not shot to death
    hey

hey

carrie fischer was in 30 rock

her career is totally not shot to death

what do you know? oh that's right noooooothiiiiing

tyrannus on
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh man if I failed out of university that'd be terrible. Like that would just feel like the end of the world.

I might take a break after this year or the next. We'll see.

I've done this. It's less eschatological than you'd think

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010

that happens to me sometimes too

i can't even remember anything specific

oh wait i remember one thing

i was on antidepressants and i forgot one day

so the next day frankie and i were about to go to a restaurant and i remembered so i took two

only it turned out that i didn't take two antidepressant. i took two very heavy doses of xanax.

i don't remember it at all, but frankie tells me that i got kind of wobbly on the way and seemed a little out of it, and while i was at the (tiny) restaurant i was really loud and kept spilling food in my lap and made loud asides about the lesbian couple in the corner and all kinds of embarrassing stuff.

i mean i don't even remember it, and thinking about it just makes my stomach sink.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I really like house hunters on hgtv. THe houses are cool and you get to pick apart the couples and try to figure out if they're going to divorce

I yell at them when they behave stupidly and I point out when the realtor is being conniving. Also when the couple picks the wrong house.

Sarksus on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

dude

what the fuckkkkk

i have exactly the same thing sometimes

like something will remind me of one of the 7 or whatever most embarrassing moments in my life to date, and i will have a physical reaction

i'll usually groan and squirm in some way

that's so weird that you have the same thing...

MikeMan on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I took a year off and never went back

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So this article is pretty sad, it sounds like the researchers are doing everything possible but it doesn't look so good for the trees. One thing that jumped out at me though, is the way they write the name of the guy who cut down the world's oldest living tree first middle last just like a serial killer.

Regina Fong on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »

gimp?

I don't do hardcore image editing or anything, but it works good and is free

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I went camping in the middle of the Adirondacks last weekend and we drove into a small town nearby. The town had no cellphone reception. I read a couple of their newspapers, mostly about town budgets, some history stories, fundraisers. It was really nice. One night I sat in front of a fire for a few hours and just thought. I was actually sad to leave. I feel like there are too many distractions where I live, doubly so in a city, and were I to live somewhere rural I'd have the time to do the things I really want to do, like improve on my nature photography, astronomy, write, think, etc.

You are basically trying to steal my life. It's really not worth it.

Donkey Kong on
    edited September 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Notch wrote: »
    My freshman year of college was so mediocre. I don't know why I'm not acing all of my classes right now. I need to be more committed because I don't have a plan B.

I've been having this problem this semester. I wasn't putting enough time into my classes. Try to block out a period of study time and keep reminding yourself that you have to stick with it. Get a notebook and write down your assignments and due dates so you don't forget anything. Today I went to the library after class and I identified what I was having trouble with (in chemistry) and then I went though the textbook and read the relevant sections and did the assignments until I got it. It feels good after you do it.

I also found it helpful to purposefully segment your schedule to where you have an hour or two each day where you can't really do anything else but study or read

so, time between classes, breaks between work shifts if you're working a job like that, etc

Yeah, I have a lot of down-time between classes so I'll study during those hours and I won't leave school until I've done enough work.

Sarksus on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

so the next day frankie and i were about to go to a restaurant and i remembered so i took two

only it turned out that i didn't take two antidepressant. i took two very heavy doses of xanax.

i don't remember it at all, but frankie tells me that i got kind of wobbly on the way and seemed a little out of it, and while i was at the (tiny) restaurant i was really loud and kept spilling food in my lap and made loud asides about the lesbian couple in the corner and all kinds of embarrassing stuff.

i mean i don't even remember it, and thinking about it just makes my stomach sink.

That was actually your alter-ego waiting to spring free. I bet you talked about your favorite Love Hina character.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
    edited September 2010

How do you mean, your life?

Sarksus on
    edited September 2010
    Well the basic idea is to specifically get away from other people, so what all of you hate is what I find appealing.

You don't see many hermits these days

What is it about people that you hate?

I don't hate people. I just haven't had great luck interacting with them and I'm at a point where I no longer care to try anymore. I've reached a point where I am content to just have myself and my own thoughts for company.

People in rural areas tend to be much more socially clingy than any other breed of human.

After all they aren't necessarily anti-social and there's so few people to befriend so they get all up ins even if you don't want to talk to them. I went to high school in a fairly remote, smallish town (of 20,000) and even at that size our neighbors were so desperate for human interaction that it got to be intolerable.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
    edited September 2010
    People in rural areas tend to be much more socially clingy than any other breed of human.

After all they aren't necessarily anti-social and there's so few people to befriend so they get all up ins even if you don't want to talk to them. I went to high school in a fairly remote, smallish town (of 20,000) and even at that size our neighbors were so desperate for human interaction that it got to be intolerable.

Yep. It can be freaking impossible to get any lasting privacy in a small town.

Incenjucar on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    can someone who knows about such things tell me whether the One Piece thread is still on-topic?

all that weeaboo shit runs together for me

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

hahaha she told me about that. she maintained that you were saying it was so nice the lesbians were able to be out in public

but mine usually are... stupid things I do while drunk. and I had a biggole crush on a straight friend of mine and it was a long time ago so I'm like god in retrospect it must have been so obvious and sad.

but thinking about it now I realize it doesn't matter and he probably didn't know

Casual Eddy on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    can someone who knows about such things tell me whether the One Piece thread is still on-topic?

nuke it

tyrannus on
    edited September 2010

You are becoming a computer systems engineer. You want to live in a place described exactly like my home town, with its missing cell reception and its silly newspaper all about local budgets.

Let me tell you, all that time that you think you are going to have to do nature photography and astronomy... you have more of it now! You will spend half your free time driving 45 fucking minutes each way to pick up groceries!

Donkey Kong on
    edited September 2010

It's all good.

Just a bunch of spoilers and fake spoilers for the next translation. A few of us who visit there glare at anyone who veers off-topic.

--

Tyrannus did you eat the hater hater fruit?

Incenjucar on
    edited September 2010

I mean, they're taking about one piece...

Donkey Kong on
    edited September 2010

It's still on-topic.

Sarksus on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »

It depends on the town.

Thomamelas on
    edited September 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »

It's not so much privacy as it is anonymity.

When every other day to run into someone you know at the grocery store, at the park, at the library, at a gas station, etc. it starts to feel like beyond these town limits, even though I never seen 'em, there's really nothing else to explore

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
    edited September 2010

You are becoming a computer systems engineer. You want to live in a place described exactly like my home town, with its missing cell reception and its silly newspaper all about local budgets.

Let me tell you, all that time that you think you are going to have to do nature photography and astronomy... you have more of it now! You will spend half your free time driving 45 fucking minutes each way to pick up groceries!

MAYBE I WANT TO DRIVE 45 MINUTES FOR GROCERIES.

Sarksus on
  • NotchNotch PottsfieldRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

My brother use to watch that show. I always thought that here was some secret in the opening. Like, the treasure was at a location called "One Piece". That's pretty silly of me though.

Notch on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2010

It's still on-topic.

okay good

thanks

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010

My brother use to watch that show. I always thought that here was some secret in the opening. Like, the treasure was at a location called "One Piece". That's pretty silly of me though.

that would make as much sense as anything in that show as far as i can tell

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010

My going theory is that the One Piece is a bathing suit.

Incenjucar on
    edited September 2010
    The wine shop in that town is up for sale.

Guys teach me about wine so I can buy the store and live the rest of my life in the mountains.

Sarksus on
    edited September 2010

MAYBE I WANT TO DRIVE 45 MINUTES FOR GROCERIES.

You really don't. Spending half your day on procuring basic subsistence defeats the purpose of having civilization in the first place

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »

gimp?

I don't do hardcore image editing or anything, but it works good and is free

I would use GIMP, but I'm not sure if the network people will approve of me downloading it, nor installing it on this computer.

They're pretty uptight.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey people in long term relationships

Do you ever find that your SO does not fulfill your social urge anymore? Like I want to talk to people and shit but Choco does not scratch that urge at all.

It's not like I dislike him or find him unfun to be around. He's basically my best friend.

I just crave something he can't provide I guess?

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
    edited September 2010

Guys teach me about wine so I can buy the store and live the rest of my life in the mountains.

selling franzia to the wives of hillbillies

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

You're such a romantic

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
This discussion has been closed.