As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] you, George Lucas!

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    will how you doin man

not bad

i should be in bed but i'm makin poast

the contract i'm on at work is kind of ending and i'm hoping i don't get laid off with all the defense cuts. in theory i have another year or so of funding before i need to find something new, i guess, but it's still a little stressful.

maybe i'm coming down with a cold too.

outside of that things are good. been enjoying the haloes and the civs.
    Between your Greenland money and unemployment, getting laid off might just be awesome.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Don't worry, you're safe. By the time you're around the actual paste is already cleaned away.

I mean. Yes. Henna stains everyone and is hard to wash out.

It keeps me safe.

Oh God.

What have I said?

[tiny]Help. Now he knows.[/tiny]

Don't worry. Chemistry was always my best science.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    hey

if i want to post an mp3 of me talking for online friends to listen to

what's the easiest way to do that?

Do you have a camera which can record video?

my webcam does

but

my question is about how to share it, not how to record it

Organichu on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    CloudApp.

Do it up.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Actually there is a really cute grocery store in the town too.

And there's a cute little movie theatre and a "department store" and a bookstore!

Enjoy your $8 eggs and your copy of that book you wanted 3 weeks ago that the owner guilted you into letting the store order, which you then paid double Amazon's price for.

Everything is all cute and quant on the surface but it will slowly drain your life force.

My life force is gone. $8 eggs can only increase it now.

you seem to swing pretty dramatically in your goals and intentions from month to month sarks

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I could never give up the accessibility of the city for the minimal benefits of a rural area.

To hear a suburban area being described as one in which your neighbours are far apart just strikes me as insanity. I always figured suburbs are when you've got houses lined up in fairly packed streets, but there aren't really too many highrises for the most part.

If your neighbour's house is more than like 20 metres away, you're in an rural area as far as I'm concerned.

If I had the money, I would have homes in a rural and an urban area. I like the access to things in the city. I like being able to find a restaurant at 3 am, access to culture. But there are times I crave being alone, with a fireplace while a snowstorm rages. That feeling of knowing there isn't another human being for miles away. There is a great peace in that.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    hey

if i want to post an mp3 of me talking for online friends to listen to

what's the easiest way to do that?

Do you have a camera which can record video?

my webcam does

but

Rapidshare and Megaupload work, I think.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    If I had the money, I would have homes in a rural and an urban area. I like the access to things in the city. I like being able to find a restaurant at 3 am, access to culture. But there are times I crave being alone, with a fireplace while a snowstorm rages. That feeling of knowing there isn't another human being for miles away. There is a great peace in that.

Cabin timeshare in the woods?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I could never give up the accessibility of the city for the minimal benefits of a rural area.

To hear a suburban area being described as one in which your neighbours are far apart just strikes me as insanity. I always figured suburbs are when you've got houses lined up in fairly packed streets, but there aren't really too many highrises for the most part.

If your neighbour's house is more than like 20 metres away, you're in an rural area as far as I'm concerned.

You might be confusing "rural" with "small town".

I live in a small town. It's not a rural area, we don't have sewer lines but we have gas, electricity, water, phones, internets and so forth.

But the houses are on large lots and there aren't that many people. There's also not a tremendous amount to do unless you want to drive over to Florence (which is not far away) which is an actual city, albeit a small one.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

That is one thing that surprised and confused me about the chicago area. Shit closes. More things close here at 10pm than did back in fucking Virginia.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I mean, the stain is even a light mahogany on the back of my hand. The back, where the skin is thinnest! And on thicker skin? Burnt umber town all the way. And so smooth! I can even manage relatively thin lines, even with my crappy cone rolling skills.

I... I think I'm in love.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    http://cl.ly/cfcd9eb01fc4f7f591bc

I just did command shift 4 and made a partial screenshot and then CloudApp automatically uploaded it and pasted the link in the clipboard. You set a hotkey, highlight a file, press the hotkey and it uploads it and pastes the link in the clipboard.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    will how you doin man

not bad

i should be in bed but i'm makin poast

the contract i'm on at work is kind of ending and i'm hoping i don't get laid off with all the defense cuts. in theory i have another year or so of funding before i need to find something new, i guess, but it's still a little stressful.

maybe i'm coming down with a cold too.

outside of that things are good. been enjoying the haloes and the civs.
    Between your Greenland money and unemployment, getting laid off might just be awesome.

yeah i am trying not to think that way

but can't help but think it would be awesome to sit on my ass and pinch pennies and cook frugal but delicious meals and go to the gym a lot and play video games for two years or whatever the unemployment limit is these days

but still it wouldn't really be fair to frankie and ultimately wouldn't be good for my life

(but still it would be kind of awesome)

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »
    That is one thing that surprised and confused me about the chicago area. Shit closes. More things close here at 10pm than did back in fucking Virginia.

My worst Shit Closes experience was in Melbourne, AU.

Almost everything was closed before sunset. D:

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    my webcam does

but

I only ever use Youtube or Yousendit. Sounds like Sarks and Cass have some suggestions, though.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »

And have to deal with the timeshare scam, no thanks.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

I live in a small town. It's not a rural area, we don't have sewer lines but we have gas, electricity, water, phones, internets and so forth.

But the houses are on large lots and there aren't that many people. There's also not a tremendous amount to do unless you want to drive over to Florence (which is not far away) which is an actual city, albeit a small one.

I'm just kind of conflating "rural" with population density that is too low for my tastes.

Do rural areas not have gas, electricity, and phone lines at a minimum, though?

Maybe it's even worse than I thought.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

That is one thing that surprised and confused me about the chicago area. Shit closes. More things close here at 10pm than did back in fucking Virginia.[/QUOTE]

boston closes stupidly early

the subway stops an hour before the bars close too

stupid

(luckily i can walk to pretty much any bar i would want to go to, and there are plenty of cabs)

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    Hey people in long term relationships

Do you ever find that your SO does not fulfill your social urge anymore? Like I want to talk to people and shit but Choco does not scratch that urge at all.

It's not like I dislike him or find him unfun to be around. He's basically my best friend.

I just crave something he can't provide I guess?

not really?

Your relationship and hers are different, though. She's been with Choco for like 4 years and you've been with Mori for only a few months, frankly comparing the two is silly.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    Doc wrote: »
    I am not very good at this buying houses thing. I put in an offer at $6500 above asking and someone had offered more in cash.

Wasn't Vancouver supposed to have trained you for this. Offer 300,000 on a one bedroom and you'll definitely get it.

Offered 385,000 on a two bedroom house. But it was a ridiculously nice house, which is why I got outbid.

If you want some practice you can go buy me a place at the Olive 8.

http://olive8.com/

Then you will know just what to do.

Condos combine all the pains of living in an apartment (shared walls, ceilings, and floors, along with monthly fees), with all the pains of home ownership (if anything breaks, you have to fix it), and add some of their own (hey, some of us decided we want a new roof and now we need you to pay $20k, kthk). It's a terrible deal all-around.

Doc on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Seems like a better plan to just straight buy a cabin in the woods with a few close friends.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    the difference in scale between the entire observable horizon of our universe and a human being is almost exactly the same as between a human being and a proton

and, if inflationary theory is correct, which all the best cosmological models strongly point to, the relationship between the wider universe beyond our horizon and our entire observable universe is the same as that between our observable universe's horizon and a proton

just fucking think about that

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Some of those are actually legit. Also you could set it up yourself with some other people rather than going through a third party.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    planescape: torment appears to have trapped me in an extremely bizarre form of hell where i keep running increasingly elaborate errands for people in between bouts of getting shanked

Rust on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I'm just kind of conflating "rural" with population density that is too low for my tastes.

Do rural areas not have gas, electricity, and phone lines at a minimum, though?

Maybe it's even worse than I thought.

Depends on how rural you're talking about and what the terrain is like. I grew up in a rural area that was slowly becoming suburb. When I was little we had electricity, phone and that's it. Water came from a well (mechanical) and cable wasn't an option.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Actually there is a really cute grocery store in the town too.

And there's a cute little movie theatre and a "department store" and a bookstore!

Enjoy your $8 eggs and your copy of that book you wanted 3 weeks ago that the owner guilted you into letting the store order, which you then paid double Amazon's price for.

Everything is all cute and quant on the surface but it will slowly drain your life force.

My life force is gone. $8 eggs can only increase it now.

you seem to swing pretty dramatically in your goals and intentions from month to month sarks

I'm still going to do school and get a degree in computer engineering, possibly even a masters depending on where I go, and a career in that field is still my priority but if I was able to find a quiet place to live an hour away from work the commute would be acceptable to me. As much as I would like to live away from other people I realize it's not realistic and that I need to secure my future first and foremost and that other people rely on my future success, namely my mother.

Though if during my schooling I was able to become a very skilled programmer and I found success early and could work over the Internet I would seriously consider living in as a remote area as possible while still getting a good Internet connection.

I do veer wildly around. I'm still growing and experiencing new things that shape my perceptions of what I can do or want to do.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am not very good at this buying houses thing. I put in an offer at $6500 above asking and someone had offered more in cash.

my parents weren't going to sell their home in boston until someone from japan bought it for cash

although my mom staged the shit out of it

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    And the entire wider universe beyond our horizon is filled with penises*

*This statement may not be accurate.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Wasn't Vancouver supposed to have trained you for this. Offer 300,000 on a one bedroom and you'll definitely get it.

Offered 385,000 on a two bedroom house. But it was a ridiculously nice house, which is why I got outbid.

If you want some practice you can go buy me a place at the Olive 8.

http://olive8.com/

Then you will know just what to do.

Condos combine all the pains of living in an apartment (shared walls, ceilings, and floors, along with monthly fees), with all the pains of home ownership (if anything breaks, you have to fix it), and add some of their own (hey, some of us decided we want a new roof and now we need you to pay $20k, kthk). It's a terrible deal all-around.

there are nice things about condo living

mostly that you don't have to pay the full expense and trouble to take care of a lot of shit, like maintenance and snow removal and lawn care and that sort of thing. there's some collective responsibility if something goes wrong.

i dunno. i like it.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Well yeah that's why I want -you- to buy it for me.

I doubt I'll ever make enough money to make ownership make sense, even if I pull off this whole technical writing career path.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    sarks you'd probably want to get a lil cabin out in the middle of nowhere

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Seems like a better plan to just straight buy a cabin in the woods with a few close friends.

Maybe.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    the difference in scale between the entire observable horizon of our universe and a human being is almost exactly the same as between a human being and a proton

and, if inflationary theory is correct, which all the best cosmological models strongly point to, the relationship between the wider universe beyond our horizon and our entire observable universe is the same as that between our observable universe's horizon and a proton

I try my best not to each and every day. It sort of triggers a dissociative mental state and I stop functioning properly until I reign it in.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Will Boston's subways suck for hours.

That was ridiculous last Spring.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

goddaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamnn.jpg

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

You think everything is filled with penises.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010

my parents weren't going to sell their home in boston until someone from japan bought it for cash

although my mom staged the shit out of it

Yeah this place showed REALLY well. The owner was an architect, so he didn't do retarded stuff. Just not doing terrible things to your house is like 90% of successful home ownership.

Example of retarded stuff I've seen recently:
    GetMedia.ashx?Key=44211660&TableID=1&Type=1&Size=4&exk=943808827&Number=8

Doc on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

wow.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

You think everything is filled with penises.

But it's a charming trait, right?

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    sarks you'd probably want to get a lil cabin out in the middle of nowhere

Yeah that is a possibility. A small cabin to retreat to on the weekends in addition to an apartment in or close to a city. If I do find success as a computer engineer I could probably afford that.

Sarksus on
This discussion has been closed.