As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Strategic Incompetence of Democrats

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    you're not really supposed to laugh at that website

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rand Paul is even wrong on that. A $2000 deductible on Medicare would do fuck all other than piss seniors off. Allowing non seniors to buy into medicare with a High Deductible and HSA eligibility though would be an awesome idea.

Deebaser on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yeah the idea is that goddamnit this is not a fucking joke

Aha, I found the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd8gVRMio_E

Dehumanized on
  • JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

For all the nonsense they post after the fact that they must think is funny?

The story is real and serious. I'm not denying it. It's just fucking sad. But kudos to Hutchinson! Thanks for not playing politics with this one.

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Judgement wrote: »

For all the nonsense they post after the fact that they must think is funny?

The story is real and serious. I'm not denying it. It's just fucking sad. But kudos to Hutchinson! Thanks for not playing politics with this one.

You will note they got all the Republican women to vote on the good side.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Speaking of which, does anyone remember the two posters who put together a web ad calling out republican senators who voted against a law to allow employees of military contractors who were victims of rape to sue the company for preventing them from pressing charges?

Two? It was the effort of a bunch of us. I know I gathered the art assets, and wrote the first draft of the script. Don't recall who else did what work though.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Speaking of which, does anyone remember the two posters who put together a web ad calling out republican senators who voted against a law to allow employees of military contractors who were victims of rape to sue the company for preventing them from pressing charges?

Two? It was the effort of a bunch of us. I know I gathered the art assets, and wrote the first draft of the script. Don't recall who else did what work though.

Oh yeah, easy to take credit for the art and the script, but who's going to take credit for the rape in the first place?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • McGuffinMcGuffin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    edit: Ah, never mind...

McGuffin on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ImperiusV wrote: »

An NBC/WSJ poll says the midterms are getting tighter. Unfortunately:
    But young voters, who helped fuel Obama’s presidential victory in 2008, are now sitting on the sidelines. Just 35 percent of those ages 18-34 are enthusiastic about the election in November, versus 65 percent of seniors who say that.

We're getting out-enthused by old people.

Wow. How many are absentee ballots?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

It's been a while and I really didn't remember who was involved. At any rate, we need more ads like that.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • mrdobalinamrdobalina Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Um. Two points:

1) A Mormon is not winning the GOP nomination for President. Especially not a Mormon who passed government health care.
    2) Charismatic? He's GOP Kerry.

I'm sure the GOP will be ok with a Mormon since he'll be running against a Muslim in the general.

mrdobalina on
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    mrdobalina wrote: »
    Um. Two points:

1) A Mormon is not winning the GOP nomination for President. Especially not a Mormon who passed government health care.

I'm sure the GOP will be ok with a Mormon since he'll be running against a Muslim in the general.

Also remember that Glenn Beck is a way bigger force in conservative activism (read: primary electorate) than he used to be, so he might be functioning as a sort of familiarizing face of Mormonism within the GOP.

Fartacus on
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    ImperiusV wrote: »

An NBC/WSJ poll says the midterms are getting tighter. Unfortunately:
    But young voters, who helped fuel Obama’s presidential victory in 2008, are now sitting on the sidelines. Just 35 percent of those ages 18-34 are enthusiastic about the election in November, versus 65 percent of seniors who say that.

We're getting out-enthused by old people.

Wow. How many are absentee ballots?

Young voters suck. They will only come out when it's hip to do so. If you offer them free bj's, pot, and an excuse to get drunk you will get more out. The Democratic party should just campaign of bj's and free drink coupons, than they'd get their base enthused.

Short of that, they are leading the young, lazy, and entitled. Not an easy group to turn out.

nstf on
    edited September 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    Young voters suck. They will only come out when it's hip to do so.

Maybe it has something to do with a feeling of disenfranchisement that has something to do with huge unemployment rates, the highest levels of personal debt ever, and being raised in an era of political cynicism and dysfunction?

Oh, and the fact that they're mostly to the left of most politicians, and people who aren't well-represented usually don't come out to vote as often.

But your condescension is noted.
    Short of that, they are leading the young, lazy, and entitled. Not an easy group to turn out.

Haha, yeah, the entitled. Rich white heterosexual Christian men demanding bigger tax breaks and mad that social pressure keeps them from being able to say the N-word -- the GOP wouldn't know anything about entitlement, would they?

But you're right, Democrats do represent people who get the short end of the stick. We represent the poor, the oppressed, the downtrodden. We represent people who have been intimidated for decades to depress their turnout. We represent people who don't have the time or the luxury to leave work to go vote. We represent people who are denied access to information and adequate education so that they know voting laws, polling places, and dates.

It is a tougher job, but fighting for people who get shafted by the system is always tougher than representing the system.

Fartacus on
    edited September 2010
    Fartacus wrote: »

But you're right, Democrats do represent people who get the short end of the stick. We represent the poor, the oppressed, the downtrodden. We represent people who have been intimidated for decades to depress their turnout. We represent people who don't have the time or the luxury to leave work to go vote. We represent people who are denied access to information and adequate education so that they know voting laws, polling places, and dates.

It is a tougher job, but fighting for people who get shafted by the system is always tougher than representing the system.

Seriously? You wrote that with a straight face? Perhaps you were trying to be ironic?

mrdobalina on
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Um. Two points:

Also remember that Glenn Beck is a way bigger force in conservative activism (read: primary electorate) than he used to be, so he might be functioning as a sort of familiarizing face of Mormonism within the GOP.

I think part of Glenn Beck's appeall is that he doesn't mention that he is a Mormon very much. Lots of talk about God and Jesus, not much about Moroni and Joseph Smith.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
    edited September 2010

Seriously? You wrote that with a straight face? Perhaps you were trying to be ironic?

Yes, because Blacks, Hispanics, Gays, The Young and the Poor are such powerhouses in modern society.

Kipling217 on
    edited September 2010

I'm sorry, do you want to look at who votes for Democrats, exactly?

Because here are some groups who vote for Democrats:

The poor
    People of color
    LGBTQ people
    Young people
    Women
    The unemployed
    Union members
    Members of religious minorities

So, uh, maybe you should stop listening to Rush and actually look at the party demographics before being a know-it-all?

Fartacus on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Um. Two points:

No. Just...no. The Religious Right will never back a Mormon for President.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited September 2010
    Um. Two points:

They would if Beck ran

That dude could possibly capture the nomination. I don't think he's quite that crazy, but boy do I wish he were.

Fartacus on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Um. Two points:

They would if Beck ran

That dude could possibly capture the nomination. I don't think he's quite that crazy, but boy do I wish he were.

I think you may be underestimating the amount of people who know he's a Mormon. There were a few videos making the rounds at Beck's latest rally where people were told that he was and they thought it was liberal propaganda.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    edited September 2010

The poor
    People of color
    LGBTQ people
    Young people
    Women
    The unemployed
    Union members

So, uh, maybe you should stop listening to Rush and actually look at the party demographics before being a know-it-all?

It sounds like you're writing a brochure for voting Democrat, inspiring a new generation of young people towards a noble cause. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the self-important see themselves that way, but c'mon, seriously? You actually believe that opposing party is against all those altruistic goals you think you're pursuing?

I thought people stopped thinking that way after about the 6th grade. The fact that you put "Union members" in as an example of the constituency is laughable, unions are amongst the most corrupt and backwards and self-serving institutions left in the world. Reasonable people can disagree on solutions and root problems, but to see the Democratic party as a crusading force against the wrongs of the world is flat-out silly.

mrdobalina on
    edited September 2010
    Um. Two points:

They would if Beck ran

No, they wouldn't. Think about it - Prop 8 in CA passed mostly due to Mormon money and manpower, and they are STILL treated as the proverbial redheaded stepchild. They would not back Beck, unless he converted to one of their preferred denominations.

Though I would like to see Beck run, if only to see his response to "So, Glenn, do you, or have you ever believed that black skin is the mark of Cain?"

AngelHedgie on
    edited September 2010
    Um. Two points:

I don't know that they are going to be a big enough part of a primary to influence for that reason alone. Anti-Mormon sentiment will fall by the wayside pretty quick when held up against anti-Obama sentiment.

mrdobalina on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Beck running for president would be a phenomenal win for democrats.

override367 on
    edited September 2010
    It sounds like you're writing a brochure for voting Democrat, inspiring a new generation of young people towards a noble cause. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the self-important see themselves that way, but c'mon, seriously? You actually believe that opposing party is against all those altruistic goals you think you're pursuing?

I thought people stopped thinking that way after about the 6th grade. The fact that you put "Union members" in as an example of the constituency is laughable, unions are amongst the most corrupt and backwards and self-serving institutions left in the world. Reasonable people can disagree on solutions and root problems, but to see the Democratic party as a crusading force against the wrongs of the world is flat-out silly.

Quick question, who do you usually vote for?

Fartacus on
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You actually believe that opposing party is against all those altruistic goals you think you're pursuing?

Yes.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    edited September 2010

The poor
    People of color
    LGBTQ people
    Young people
    Women
    The unemployed
    Union members

So, tell me:

1. Why are unions as a whole corrupt?
    2. Show me union corruption that can even come close to Ken Lay, Jeff Skilling, Conrad Black, or Bernie Madoff?

AngelHedgie on
    edited September 2010
    Um. Two points:

I don't know that they are going to be a big enough part of a primary to influence for that reason alone. Anti-Mormon sentiment will fall by the wayside pretty quick when held up against anti-Obama sentiment.

They only suspect Obama of not being a christian. They would know that a Mormon candidate wasn't.

In their world Mormons are the worst kinds of heretics. Unbelievers is one thing, fake christians are another.

Kipling217 on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Um. Two points:

The religious right tends to be better organized than most other factions of the Republican Party. But seriously, getting ahead of yourselves. We don't know yet how tea baggers are going to respond when they realize that they hate two years of Republican control in the House just as much as the Democrats.

SammyF on
    edited September 2010
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    You actually believe that opposing party is against all those altruistic goals you think you're pursuing?

Yes.

Then you'll never get beyond basement-level reactionary political thinking. Congrats.

mrdobalina on
    edited September 2010

Quick question, who do you usually vote for?

Depending on the election, R or L. The GOP as a party is amazingly incompetent and I hold my nose in most cases, but they are closer to me than the Dems are.

mrdobalina on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    See the republicans are kind of in a pickle. If the economy recovers they'll take credit for it, but the average voter has no functional understanding of how the government works. They think the president mans every single job in washington dc (hence the healthcare bill being "obamacare" when it's not what he wanted passed)

If the economy doesn't recover they have a shot at the presidency though
    HamHamJ wrote: »

Yes.

Then you'll never get beyond basement-level reactionary political thinking. Congrats.

Uh, the republicans have spent decades running against gay rights and "handouts" (most of which go to poor minorities), this isn't a controversial sentiment.

"Entitlements" being a dog whistle for the GOP is a real thing. Welfare queens was their construct, using the example of the incredibly tiny percent of people who defraud the system to make the whole system look bad.

The thing is they never specifically say we want to fuck minorities, that's just kind of what happens. They also fuck poor white people, but this is less talked about.

override367 on
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, tell me:

2. Show me union corruption that can even come close to Ken Lay, Jeff Skilling, Conrad Black, or Bernie Madoff?

When union leaders are corrupt, it's a sign that unions themselves need to be destroyed.
    When corporate executives are corrupt, well, it's just a few bad apples~

gtrmp on
    edited September 2010

The poor
    People of color
    LGBTQ people
    Young people
    Women
    The unemployed
    Union members

So, tell me:

Do you deal with many on a regular basis? Most major unions are artifacts from a lost age, irrelevant in today's world, with little to no motivation to move beyond their old ways. How they hold up against your examples is just a factor of scale, not ambition.

mrdobalina on
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

The poor
    People of color
    LGBTQ people
    Young people
    Women
    The unemployed
    Union members

So, tell me:

Do you deal with many on a regular basis? Most major unions are artifacts from a lost age, irrelevant in today's world, with little to no motivation to move beyond their old ways. How they hold up against your examples is just a factor of scale, not ambition.

You didn't really answer his question

ronzo on
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010

The poor
    People of color
    LGBTQ people
    Young people
    Women
    The unemployed
    Union members

They vote for democrats because democrats push government sanctioned revenge and biggoted policies against people that had nothing to do with their problems. That is the purpose of the Democratic party.

Young people vote for it out of some twisted sense of holier than thou mentality and the fact that they feel good about government sanctioned revenge. Older people vote for it because they realize they've made it to the point in life their kid won't be impacted by said policies and get to stand on their soap box about doing it.

Me, I vote for it because the biggoted policies of the left don't impact me, and I could give fuck all about a poor middle class Joe. Plus they shove other peoples money in my direction and my line of work relies on stroking the ego's of bleeding hearts at the expense of average Joes, so it's purely economical. But I don't kid myself that the party I've voted for the most makes some hate groups look pretty tame. I also don't kid myself that I vote Democratic most of the time because of "hurray for me and fuck everybody else" and that reason alone. And frankly, I have no issues screwing people over to put a buck or more in my pocket, and a vote to the left lets me do this.

nstf on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone who thinks Beck would have a chance of being president-

Halloween is coming up. Go into your darkened bathroom and say into the mirror "Terry Kelly. Terry Kelly. Terry Kelly".

Octoparrot on
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    nstf wrote: »

The poor
    People of color
    LGBTQ people
    Young people
    Women
    The unemployed
    Union members

They vote for democrats because democrats push government sanctioned revenge and biggoted policies against people that had nothing to do with their problems. That is the purpose of the Democratic party.

Young people vote for it out of some twisted sense of holier than thou mentality and the fact that they feel good about government sanctioned revenge. Older people vote for it because they realize they've made it to the point in life their kid won't be impacted by said policies and get to stand on their soap box about doing it.

Me, I vote for it because the biggoted policies of the left don't impact me, and I could give fuck all about a poor middle class Joe. Plus they shove other peoples money in my direction and my line of work relies on stroking the ego's of bleeding hearts at the expense of average Joes, so it's purely economical. But I don't kid myself that the party I've voted for the most makes some hate groups look pretty tame. I also don't kid myself that I vote Democratic most of the time because of "hurray for me and fuck everybody else" and that reason alone. And frankly, I have no issues screwing people over to put a buck or more in my pocket, and a vote to the left lets me do this.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why the christ you're so vaguely bitter.

Can you actually name any of this "sanctioned revenge" or bigoted policy? Like, give specifics beyond impotent rage?

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

The Republican Party has made it clear time and again that its goal is to kill or cripple programs intended to benefit the poor and the working class, and numerous Republican apparatchiks have attempted to suppress voter turnout or outright disenfranchise minority voters. Of course the answer to that question is yes - and if you think otherwise, you're wearing some impressively thick ideological blinders.

gtrmp on
This discussion has been closed.