As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A psychological bachelor in NY

BullioBullio Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I live in NY (Broome County, specifically). I obtained a BA in Psychology last year and have been working as a relief/part time residential counselor since November of the same year. I don't want to get into specifics, but my job is more like a baby sitting job than an actual therapeutic/treatment counseling position. I'm rather unhappy with my current employment situation and am looking for new employment opportunities that will utilize my education and degree. The problem is that the vast majority of positions of worth (actual counseling positions, program coordinator/supervisor, case manager, etc) at organizations around here require a master's and field experience. I don't have the former, and only have almost a year's worth of the latter. However, I feel that I'm perfectly qualified for many of these even though I don't have the minimum requirements they're looking for. The organization I work for is pretty much the only one in the area that has any open positions that fit my situation (I've put in for them), but I'm rather disappointed at the way the organization in general is run. At this point my choices seem to be suck it down and stay where I am, work some retail job, or go to grad school. I've started the process of applying to grad school, but that doesn't help me pay my expenses.

What I'm looking for is some guidance as to other places to look for jobs outside my county, especially specific organizations to look into. Tioga and Cortland counties are the closest alternatives and thus are most ideal, but anything within reasonable travel distance is fine. Beyond that would most likely require relocating. While relocating isn't quite out of the realm of possibility, without a fairly well paying and stable position it'd be extremely difficult. Also, I absolutely need some sort of health insurance. This probably isn't an issue, but it's a deal breaker in my case. Thanks in advance for any help.

steam_sig.png
Bullio on

• Options
    FagatronFagatron Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am not a psychology major, and nothing's springing to mind as far as companies that might want to hire you with only a Bachelor's.

However, my dad is a Psychologist, and my sister is a Psychology major that will be starting grad school next year, and everything I've heard from them indicates it's almost impossible to pursue a career in Psychology without a Master's degree.

If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you go straight into Grad School? It seems to be the norm for Psychology majors that actually want to work in that field, and being in school seems to be preferable to being in the job market from my perspective.

Fagatron on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Fagatron wrote: »
    I am not a psychology major, and nothing's springing to mind as far as companies that might want to hire you with only a Bachelor's.

However, my dad is a Psychologist, and my sister is a Psychology major that will be starting grad school next year, and everything I've heard from them indicates it's almost impossible to pursue a career in Psychology without a Master's degree.

If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you go straight into Grad School? It seems to be the norm for Psychology majors that actually want to work in that field, and being in school seems to be preferable to being in the job market from my perspective.

The primary reason was health insurance. The plan I was on kicked me off at age 23 regardless of school status, and I could only COBRA for 18 months (at $600/month). The secondary reason was that I was a bit tired of school and I'd never had an actual job. I wanted work experience and to take some time off from school. I've had enough time off and am actually really looking forward to getting back.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well the new law allows parents to put you on their work's health insurance if you're 26 or under, but you couldn't get insurance through school?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    As someone else said, a BA in Psych is not actually a qualification for any jobs at all, really. You need to go to grad school, and often post-grad.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A Bachelor's in Psychology can qualify you for a number of jobs. I have a BS and have worked in a research position for a number of years and am quite happy with it. However, Bullio, since you seem to be interested in counseling or therapy jobs, the other posters are on target and you're pretty much out of luck as those types of jobs will almost universally require at least a Masters degree.

Daenris on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Psychology BAs are like BAs in Political Science or Communications. You really need to complement them with some grad school. Especially with the slew of people who get those degrees.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well the new law allows parents to put you on their work's health insurance if you're 26 or under, but you couldn't get insurance through school?

Not enough to cover my medication expenses. Most schools I've seen have a limited allotment for medications, and at the time just one of the medications I was taking would have chewed through the entire budget in a month. I'm hoping that I'll have more leeway next year when my mother's employer updates their plan and the new laws take effect.
    Daenris wrote: »
    A Bachelor's in Psychology can qualify you for a number of jobs. I have a BS and have worked in a research position for a number of years and am quite happy with it. However, Bullio, since you seem to be interested in counseling or therapy jobs, the other posters are on target and you're pretty much out of luck as those types of jobs will almost universally require at least a Masters degree.

Actually, research is what I really want to get back into. My ultimate goal is to either have my own lab somewhere or become part of a research team. I don't really care about the area of focus, I just want to get back into it. I did research during my undergrad and absolutely loved it. The problem is that there are almost no research jobs in the area. Everything's clinical and counseling around here. The only place that I've ever seen offer research positions around here is SUNY Binghamton, but I've never heard back when I put in for them. I think they usually end up going to students.

I figured the case was as people are describing, but I figured I'd ask anyway. From what I've heard you can do a lot more with a bachelor's in psych down south, but I can't manage such a drastic change right now. Thanks everyone for the help.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bullio wrote: »
    Daenris wrote: »

Actually, research is what I really want to get back into. My ultimate goal is to either have my own lab somewhere or become part of a research team. I don't really care about the area of focus, I just want to get back into it. I did research during my undergrad and absolutely loved it. The problem is that there are almost no research jobs in the area. Everything's clinical and counseling around here. The only place that I've ever seen offer research positions around here is SUNY Binghamton, but I've never heard back when I put in for them. I think they usually end up going to students.

If your end goal is to run a research lab you'll need a PhD.

If you just want to work in research a Bachelor's is enough, but as you suggest you'll be competing against undergrad psych students, as well as a bunch of recent grads looking for some research experience before going back to grad school.

It sounds like you've already looked around, but double check any and all colleges and universities around you. Look up the psych professors that are doing research there, and if there's an area that particularly interests you you can always try to cold email the prof asking if they have any openings. Honestly, I've known several people in the labs I've worked in that got their jobs that way even when there was no posted position. Try to make it specific though -- as if you're writing a cover letter for that professor.

Also try to check into University Hospitals if there are any around you and see if their Psychiatry department runs research. Most research assistants in psychiatry labs I've worked in have psychology bachelors degrees.

Daenris on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If all you want to do is research anyway, start looking to apply and go back to school on paid grants as a research assistant. If you already look good as a result of connections you made/work you performed getting your BA, you should be able to get a full ride as a research assistant, letting you do the work you want to do and getting you a free education.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just go back to school, dude. You can try applying to directly to professors running research studies to find a job administering the program, but most of those jobs are going to be going to the grad students those professors mentor in the first place -- most savvy psych grads apply to universities for their MS or Ph.D.'s based on the faculty at the university and the studies those faculty members are running.

You might as well be one of those grad students. There are options (stipends, scholarships, etc.) that can help you take care of your living expenses while you study, and you'll come out with a degree that will make it easier to find the sort of work you actually want to do.

The best investment anyone can make is in himself. Good luck.

SammyF on