As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] you, George Lucas!

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    that was a thoroughly demoralizing loss

: ( *hugs*

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    I will say that by far the best thing about Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus was Debbie Gibson. She's aged very well and is still a definite WOULD.

I said this last night and will say it again. Jennifer Grey has also aged well. God damn.

So has Nina Hartley, and she's got a lot more uhhh milege.

I'd still hit it.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preach you didn't respond to me missing your reference.

Also I hope you realized my response to your PM was sarcastic.

Nocturne on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I will say that by far the best thing about Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus was Debbie Gibson. She's aged very well and is still a definite WOULD.

I said this last night and will say it again. Jennifer Grey has also aged well. God damn.

Experience, Preacher, experience. I'm guessing that a night with her would probably be pretty incredible.

Thomamelas on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    that was a thoroughly demoralizing loss

: ( *hugs*

<3 thanks rivs

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »

People who recognize patterns in everything tend to go crazy and think drilling holes in their heads will make their brains get more oxygen?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    It just feels, to me, like a large number of companies still haven't really "gotten" what this whole internet thing is about

See- the FCC, the RIAA, the music industry, the comics industry, hell even the video game industry still doesn't really "get" it

what is there to "get"?

that it's really easy to violate copyright with the internets so they should try to compete against pirates by offering action figures with their animes or something?

that obsessive unemployed nerd hobbyists can always sub an animu and throw it on the torrents before a licensing deal can even be struck with a foreign distributor?

Well, I definitely proposed a solution to the second one, and I don't know where you got the first one so

I think the thing they don't "get" is that someone somewhere will find a way to distribute their guarded material, and it is pretty easy, so why not make it, as pony (or feral?) said, easier to legitimately purchase than to steal

Like, if you can upload scans of a comic page, have it translated in a matter of hours, and reuploaded, why not just do that in house and offer a pay-by-chapter format for things like foreign manga?

Like, if all the popular fandub sites can host these things near instantly, why not do it yourself? These guys presumably have less resources than your publishing company, with the exception of time.

Look, just let me fucking pay for episodes of Dexter as it's being aired without having to subscribe to some premium cable package.

Is that too fucking much to ask?

I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not

Arch on
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    All I'm saying is asians are bad drivers, and if they are asian women god help you, asian old women GET THE FUCK OFF THE ROAD!
    You know, I hate the 'well stereotypes come from somewhere' excuse but man, Asian in an Asian car is something to be avoided around Chicago.

Its ok matt, a lot of black people really like fried chicken too.

When i first started working in the South Bronx, I was amazed that there were actually so many fried chicken places around.

Of course, despite the stereotypes, the South Bronx is in fact mostly latino (and by that I mean mostly Dominican and Puerto Rican), and fried chicken is a REALLY cheap source of fat and protein, so...yeah

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gim wrote: »

Woman Of Undiscerning Lecherous Discourse?

INTERCOURSE

I Need Time, Evan, Regarding Coitus Of- U R So Erect

Gim on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Experience, Preacher, experience. I'm guessing that a night with her would probably be pretty incredible.
    I put on my robe and miner's hat.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I didn't get a response to your pm at all...

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010

I'm not being sarcastic.

Are you able to do this now?

Nocturne on
    edited September 2010

I'm not knocking her man, if she knocked on my door, well I'd tell her I'm married, but if I was single...

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010

I'm not being sarcastic.

I don't know

But that is basically what I am proposing, but for foreign entertainment

And is also kind of my point

Arch on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    All I'm saying is asians are bad drivers, and if they are asian women god help you, asian old women GET THE FUCK OFF THE ROAD!
    You know, I hate the 'well stereotypes come from somewhere' excuse but man, Asian in an Asian car is something to be avoided around Chicago.

Its ok matt, a lot of black people really like fried chicken too.

When i first started working in the South Bronx, I was amazed that there were actually so many fried chicken places around.

Of course, despite the stereotypes, the South Bronx is in fact mostly latino (and by that I mean mostly Dominican and Puerto Rican), and fried chicken is a REALLY cheap source of fat and protein, so...yeah
    There's a fried chicken/fish place along the drive to work that offers a 14 wing/12 piece fish plus 2 liter soda "family dinner" for $20.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Yeah, like those jerks who get bent out of shape when told that all white people are inherently racist.

Everybody is a little racist (and sexist).

What matters is whether or not you strive to overcome those heuristics, or justify and rationalize them.

We need new words.

Because I know what you mean, but those are loaded terms. People don't enjoy being labeled "racist" and "sexist" when what you mean is "your less-than-conscious understanding passed down to you by society is actually unfair in your favor, and this is something you probably never had to confront."

I don't even think it's purely something that is passed down by society

I think a lot of it is innately tied to the human mind's obsession with finding patterns in everything

Yeah. Most cognitive biases involve finding patterns where none exist. There are very few that work in the opposite manner.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited September 2010

She got a nose job, though... not sure if that counts as "aging well".

Wasn't she jewish? I mean most jewish girls do something with those hawk beaks.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010

I'm not being sarcastic.

I don't know

But that is basically what I am proposing, but for foreign entertainment

And is also kind of my point

Oh, I know. I was agreeing with you.

Nocturne on
    edited September 2010
    Also Kudos to dominoes for turning their awful pizza into something edible, kudos to you.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    what is it like

edit: that wasn't in response to dominoes specifically, i was just going to type that into the reply box a few pages back and see if it made sense

and it did

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Wasn't she jewish? I mean most jewish girls do something with those hawk beaks.

like stick their noses in everybody's business.

Ludious on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Actually that ended up okay. Her original nose job was horrifying. Like a textbook example of gone wrong. But it seems to be fixed now. And the rest of her as aged well.

Thomamelas on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010

I don't even think it's purely something that is passed down by society

I think a lot of it is innately tied to the human mind's obsession with finding patterns in everything

And now you draw ever so closer to drilling a hole in your head.

I'm

I'm missing the reference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQYYGwYTPuY

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited September 2010
    High-five nocturne then

Arch on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    God I want OCZ's latest quadruple Sandforce controlled SSD.

You just made up a bunch of shit there. Like those words don't actually mean anything.

The new HSDL PCI-E interface allows 2GBps bandwidth.

It's so fast that normal desktop users can't stress it. The bottleneck is the applications themselves.

Sarksus on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I love Pi.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also Kudos to dominoes for turning their awful pizza into something edible, kudos to you.

The breadstick crust is appreciated.

Gim on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh you're good Gim.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
    edited September 2010

Also kudos to their marketing for that.

"Hey guys. We fucked up. Sorry about that. But we are seriously trying to make our pizza not suck now."

Nocturne on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh you're good Gim.

*narrows eyes*

Too good.

Silas Brown on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    One of the key notions in feminism, or in power politics in general, is to understand that two statements can both be strictly factually true, but be effectively misogynist in a specific context (even if the speaker doesn't mean it to be).

Consider the following two statements.
    1) Black people are more likely to suffer from folliculitis (skin irritation from shaving) than white people.
    2) Black people score lower on IQ tests on average than white people.

Both of these are factually true statements. And in a certain context, (2) may be racist, or it may not be. If we were discussing, for instance, socioeconomic factors that reduce availability of education to black people, or social bias in IQ tests, (2) is not necessarily racist. But if we were discussing genetic differences between black people and white people, and somebody mentioned (2) as evidence of genetic inferiority, then (2) is racist.

Most of the time, though, it's something in between. Largely because individuals tend to be very bad at analyzing and understanding the sources of their own opinions. I'm not talking about critical thinking - this is different from critical thinking. This is more like introspection. Not "is this idea true," but "where did I first learn this idea, and why does it stick out in my memory, and why does it feel important?"

If we were talking about affirmative action, for example, then two people could both be stating idea (2) but one be less racist than the other strictly from context and emphasis and implication.

So most schisms between feminists and non-feminists ends up with both sides stating things that are factually empirically true, but one side who believes that once they've established the truth content of a statement their job is done, versus another side who believes that the truth content of a statement is only half of a discussion - the other half comes from the emphasis you put upon the statement in that particular context.

i don't think this last part is necessarily true. it seems to be kind of a decided position that imputation of genetic tendencies towards anything but the most obvious or trivial characteristics (melanin, sickle-cell anemia, shaving difficulties, height, body hair) is either racist or sexist.

the implication is that "racists" or "sexists" or "misogynists" simply establish a correlation or tendency between a trait or tendency and a gender and assume a genetic basis, while "non-racists" et al are willing to really plumb the depths of the problem and are able to see past the obvious fallacy of possible genetic tendency.

this is silly. it's liberal back-slapping about how we're smarter than the stupid racists who don't understand statistics and are comically short-sighted.

why are you convinced, then, prima faccae, that there is no genetic component to any racial/ gender differences or tendencies outside of the obvious first-order ones?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010
    I own Pi (it came in a double set with Requiem for a Dream) but I have not watched it yet.

I need to watch that.

Nocturne on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

"Hey guys. We fucked up. Sorry about that. But we are seriously trying to make our pizza not suck now."

Have you seen the breakfast pizza?

I want to eat one.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    edited September 2010
    Gim wrote: »

The breadstick crust is appreciated.

Yes that was the basic selling point. I ate papa johns for their heart attack butter garlic, and dominos basically made that the crust of their pizza baked in. And they are cheaper then fucking papa johns. Made sure to tip the delivery kid extra so next time I feel like slowly dying they deliver it fast and fresh.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I own Pi (it came in a double set with Requiem for a Dream) but I have not watched it yet.

I need to watch that.

Nobody can own Pi, man, it's just out there waiting for us.

Sarksus on
    edited September 2010

I'm not knocking her man, if she knocked on my door, well I'd tell her I'm married, but if I was single...

I might check to see if I could get an exception. I mean I'm sure I'd learn something. Maybe many things.

Thomamelas on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

I need to watch that.

Nobody can own Pi, man, it's just out there waiting for us.

In Soviet Russia...

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    edited September 2010

I liked the honesty, they admitted they were making a bad product and sought to actually make it something you can eat. Still waiting for applebees, olive garden, and mcdonalds to do the fucking same.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010
    Seriously though the fact that in order to watch Dexter I have to order a premium cable package is fucktarded.

There is an internet.

I can pay you for the shows I want to watch and you can give them to me through that.

Nocturne on
    edited September 2010
    http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2010/09/john-cusack-enrages-fox-news-/1?csp=obinsite

Also John Cusack anytime I fall out of love with you, you do something like this.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.