Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Chat] you, George Lucas!

1333436383957

Posts

  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    i don't think this last part is necessarily true. it seems to be kind of a decided position that imputation of genetic tendencies towards anything but the most obvious or trivial characteristics (melanin, sickle-cell anemia, shaving difficulties, height, body hair) is either racist or sexist.

    Except that it's not. That would be a strawman.
    Irond Will wrote: »
    the implication is that "racists" or "sexists" or "misogynists" simply establish a correlation or tendency between a trait or tendency and a gender and assume a genetic basis, while "non-racists" et al are willing to really plumb the depths of the problem and are able to see past the obvious fallacy of possible genetic tendency.

    Genetic basis was an example, not the conclusion.
    Irond Will wrote: »
    this is silly. it's liberal back-slapping about how we're smarter than the stupid racists who don't understand statistics and are comically short-sighted.

    I have no shame in saying that I am more educated and knowledgeable on certain issues than other people.
    Irond Will wrote: »
    why are you convinced, then, prima faccae, that there is no genetic component to any racial/ gender differences or tendencies outside of the obvious first-order ones?

    I have never said this, and in fact I have said the exact opposite several times, so I'm politely asking that you actually argue against me rather than some windmill upon which you've scotch-taped on a copy of my avatar and a nametag that says "Feral."

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ChanusChanus Ribbit! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Seriously though the fact that in order to watch Dexter I have to order a premium cable package is fucktarded.

    There is an internet.

    I can pay you for the shows I want to watch and you can give them to me through that.

    That's kind of along the lines of "Why can't I just pay-by-channel for cable?"

    Which comes down to, "Because we don't have to offer that to you and we make more money this way".

    Chanus on
    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
  • NocturneNocturne regular Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2010/09/john-cusack-enrages-fox-news-/1?csp=obinsite

    Also John Cusack anytime I fall out of love with you, you do something like this.

    Ahaha oh my god that is great.

    Nocturne on
  • GimGim a quietly erotic life Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh you're good Gim.

    *narrows eyes*

    Too good.

    In the event of my death, I leave all of my posts to one of those regulars who seem post all the time but still don't a post count above 15k. One of those sick freaks.

    Also, in the style of Satyricon, my body must be eaten by everyone here.

    Gim on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Seriously though the fact that in order to watch Dexter I have to order a premium cable package is fucktarded.

    There is an internet.

    I can pay you for the shows I want to watch and you can give them to me through that.

    seriously

    but for things like games, comic books, and other media

    from every part of the world, in my native language

    Arch on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT regular Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fox news is the most retarded thing.

    STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • SarksusSarksus JUST PRINTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Too bad the drive needs the special cable and the PCI-E card. It relies completely on garbage collection to keep the drive speedy so this drive should be great paired with OS X which has no TRIM support but I believe has garbage collection. I want to stick this thing in my MacBook Pro, though it is probably too big!

    Sarksus on
  • WitchdrWitchdr regular Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Also Kudos to dominoes for turning their awful pizza into something edible, kudos to you.

    The breadstick crust is appreciated.

    Yes that was the basic selling point. I ate papa johns for their heart attack butter garlic, and dominos basically made that the crust of their pizza baked in. And they are cheaper then fucking papa johns. Made sure to tip the delivery kid extra so next time I feel like slowly dying they deliver it fast and fresh.

    I think it has since been changed, but i remember getting a papa john's pizza with garlic butter about 5 years ago and reading the ingredients and i didnt come across garlic or butter in the giant list of shit it had in it.

    I'm not a nut when it comes to organic things, but isnt garlic or butter required when making garlic butter?

    Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

    In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

    Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • NocturneNocturne regular Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Seriously though the fact that in order to watch Dexter I have to order a premium cable package is fucktarded.

    There is an internet.

    I can pay you for the shows I want to watch and you can give them to me through that.

    That's kind of along the lines of "Why can't I just pay-by-channel for cable?"

    Which comes down to, "Because we don't have to offer that to you and we make more money this way".

    Except this is kind of bullshit considering you can do it with plenty of shows.

    Nocturne on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit I'm a good person yes it's trueRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    One of the key notions in feminism, or in power politics in general, is to understand that two statements can both be strictly factually true, but be effectively misogynist in a specific context (even if the speaker doesn't mean it to be).

    Consider the following two statements.
    1) Black people are more likely to suffer from folliculitis (skin irritation from shaving) than white people.
    2) Black people score lower on IQ tests on average than white people.

    Both of these are factually true statements. And in a certain context, (2) may be racist, or it may not be. If we were discussing, for instance, socioeconomic factors that reduce availability of education to black people, or social bias in IQ tests, (2) is not necessarily racist. But if we were discussing genetic differences between black people and white people, and somebody mentioned (2) as evidence of genetic inferiority, then (2) is racist.

    Most of the time, though, it's something in between. Largely because individuals tend to be very bad at analyzing and understanding the sources of their own opinions. I'm not talking about critical thinking - this is different from critical thinking. This is more like introspection. Not "is this idea true," but "where did I first learn this idea, and why does it stick out in my memory, and why does it feel important?"

    If we were talking about affirmative action, for example, then two people could both be stating idea (2) but one be less racist than the other strictly from context and emphasis and implication.

    So most schisms between feminists and non-feminists ends up with both sides stating things that are factually empirically true, but one side who believes that once they've established the truth content of a statement their job is done, versus another side who believes that the truth content of a statement is only half of a discussion - the other half comes from the emphasis you put upon the statement in that particular context.

    i don't think this last part is necessarily true. it seems to be kind of a decided position that imputation of genetic tendencies towards anything but the most obvious or trivial characteristics (melanin, sickle-cell anemia, shaving difficulties, height, body hair) is either racist or sexist.

    the implication is that "racists" or "sexists" or "misogynists" simply establish a correlation or tendency between a trait or tendency and a gender and assume a genetic basis, while "non-racists" et al are willing to really plumb the depths of the problem and are able to see past the obvious fallacy of possible genetic tendency.

    this is silly. it's liberal back-slapping about how we're smarter than the stupid racists who don't understand statistics and are comically short-sighted.

    why are you convinced, then, prima faccae, that there is no genetic component to any racial/ gender differences or tendencies outside of the obvious first-order ones?

    I have no idea what you are arguing Will, but I feel vaguely offended

    Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    hydrogenated oils like a boss

    Ludious on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT regular Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gim wrote: »
    Oh you're good Gim.

    *narrows eyes*

    Too good.

    In the event of my death, I leave all of my posts to one of those regulars who seem post all the time but still don't a post count above 15k. One of those sick freaks.

    :(... :x

    STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • GimGim a quietly erotic life Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Seriously though the fact that in order to watch Dexter I have to order a premium cable package is fucktarded.

    There is an internet.

    I can pay you for the shows I want to watch and you can give them to me through that.

    Enjoy.

    Gim on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Will there is a big difference between saying "there is a statistically significant lean towards genetic basis for X trait in Y population" and the implication that this somehow carries some sort of value beyond the fact of its existence.

    Which is, I think, Feral's point.

    Additionally, I think we have well gone over how difficult it is to prescribe a genetic basis for many (if not all!) behavior traits in subsets of the human population (male, female, cis gendered, queer, black, white, asian, and so forth.)

    Arch on
  • ChanusChanus Ribbit! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Seriously though the fact that in order to watch Dexter I have to order a premium cable package is fucktarded.

    There is an internet.

    I can pay you for the shows I want to watch and you can give them to me through that.

    That's kind of along the lines of "Why can't I just pay-by-channel for cable?"

    Which comes down to, "Because we don't have to offer that to you and we make more money this way".

    Except this is kind of bullshit considering you can do it with plenty of shows.

    Well, the whole thing is bullshit.

    The whole having to buy the entire store to get one product thing.

    Chanus on
    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk regular Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    i don't think this last part is necessarily true. it seems to be kind of a decided position that imputation of genetic tendencies towards anything but the most obvious or trivial characteristics (melanin, sickle-cell anemia, shaving difficulties, height, body hair) is either racist or sexist.

    the implication is that "racists" or "sexists" or "misogynists" simply establish a correlation or tendency between a trait or tendency and a gender and assume a genetic basis, while "non-racists" et al are willing to really plumb the depths of the problem and are able to see past the obvious fallacy of possible genetic tendency.

    this is silly. it's liberal back-slapping about how we're smarter than the stupid racists who don't understand statistics and are comically short-sighted.

    why are you convinced, then, prima faccae, that there is no genetic component to any racial/ gender differences or tendencies outside of the obvious first-order ones?

    I don't know why you're arguing against something nobody said, but sure why not.

    Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • PreacherPreacher regular Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also best buy finally lost me as a customer, yesterday I went to their store to pick up my latest season of made up paranormal bullshit, and they had radically reduced their dvd section and combined it with their already piss poor cd section.

    Well fuck you best buy, I'm out!

    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SarksusSarksus JUST PRINTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You guys are lame. This SSD is the coolest thing you will ever know about.

    Sarksus on
  • GimGim a quietly erotic life Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Also Kudos to dominoes for turning their awful pizza into something edible, kudos to you.

    The breadstick crust is appreciated.

    Yes that was the basic selling point. I ate papa johns for their heart attack butter garlic, and dominos basically made that the crust of their pizza baked in. And they are cheaper then fucking papa johns. Made sure to tip the delivery kid extra so next time I feel like slowly dying they deliver it fast and fresh.

    Papa Johns runs solely on the idea of "I dunno, this pizza is okay......but they gave me like 10 packages of stuff to dip it in, so I must order more or else I'll die."

    That garlic dip. That should be illegal.

    Gim on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf regular Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Seriously though the fact that in order to watch Dexter I have to order a premium cable package is fucktarded.

    There is an internet.

    I can pay you for the shows I want to watch and you can give them to me through that.

    Pretty much.

    Far too many companies don't seem to realize that basically if something is available on the web via any means, illicet or otherwise, people who want to watch it will do so in most cases it's in your best interest to find a way for them to do so.

    I do think HBO is in a particualrily shitty spot business plan-wise to actually find a way to deal with this issue though.

    HappylilElf on
  • EchoEcho mod Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Nope, the iTunes store doesn't have TV shows at all here in Swedenland. Probably not in all of Euroland.

    Echo on
    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk regular Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also fun fact: There is less of a genetic difference between your average black person and white person than between the entire genetic diaspora that is commonly called "black."

    In short race is a construct and should not be used as a concept in anything involving genetics.

    Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • PreacherPreacher regular Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gim wrote: »

    Papa Johns runs solely on the idea of "I dunno, this pizza is okay......but they gave me like 10 packages of stuff to dip it in, so I must order more or else I'll die."

    That garlic dip. That should be illegal.

    Yeah their pizza is a sauce delivery mechanism. Like they have litterally the worst bread sticks of any joint, but you'll always order them for more sauces.

    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    It just feels, to me, like a large number of companies still haven't really "gotten" what this whole internet thing is about

    See- the FCC, the RIAA, the music industry, the comics industry, hell even the video game industry still doesn't really "get" it

    what is there to "get"?

    that it's really easy to violate copyright with the internets so they should try to compete against pirates by offering action figures with their animes or something?

    that obsessive unemployed nerd hobbyists can always sub an animu and throw it on the torrents before a licensing deal can even be struck with a foreign distributor?

    Well, I definitely proposed a solution to the second one, and I don't know where you got the first one so

    I think the thing they don't "get" is that someone somewhere will find a way to distribute their guarded material, and it is pretty easy, so why not make it, as pony (or feral?) said, easier to legitimately purchase than to steal

    Like, if you can upload scans of a comic page, have it translated in a matter of hours, and reuploaded, why not just do that in house and offer a pay-by-chapter format for things like foreign manga?

    Like, if all the popular fandub sites can host these things near instantly, why not do it yourself? These guys presumably have less resources than your publishing company, with the exception of time.

    because publishing and copyrighting things for international distribution and profit the right way takes a lot more effort and time and expertise than a kid with a japanese dictionary, a pirated version of final cut pro and utorrent.

    also because publishing IP to the internet is the shortest way to make sure that your stuff is going to be pirated at full quality instantly. at least all those shitty pirated animu threads i routinely nuke on this forum have to make-do with shitty scans. with a high-quality digital wellspring, there wouldn't be any need to pay for anything.

    anime consumers are apparently generally the "not much money but a lot of technical proficiency" bracket. high school kids, college kids, grad students. it's not really a coveted demographic from a modern IP sales standpoint.

    Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT regular Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    PIH you have inspired me to listen to Queen's Don't Stop Me Now

    thank you.

    STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives regular Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    You guys are lame. This SSD is the coolest thing you will ever know about.

    You mean the hard drives or the big ass spaceship?

    RiemannLives on
  • NocturneNocturne regular Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gim wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Seriously though the fact that in order to watch Dexter I have to order a premium cable package is fucktarded.

    There is an internet.

    I can pay you for the shows I want to watch and you can give them to me through that.

    Enjoy.

    "The following program has been edited from its original form. To see the full unedited episode, order Showtime now"

    I mean I appreciate the gesture and everything. But I also don't know how legit this is, and I'm doubting they will legally stream every episode after it airs.

    What I'm saying is I want to pay Showtime moneys for this show just like the fuckload of other shows you can buy off iTunes (yes I would even resort to using iTunes).

    Nocturne on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme regular Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fox news is the most retarded thing.

    Fox News isn't as bad as conservapedia. Therefore, they cannot be the 'most' retarded.

    emnmnme on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How is that AV club link legal?

    amateurhour on

    Arch wrote: »

    I never expected this burn from captain bushmeat
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    All I'm saying is asians are bad drivers, and if they are asian women god help you, asian old women GET THE FUCK OFF THE ROAD!
    You know, I hate the 'well stereotypes come from somewhere' excuse but man, Asian in an Asian car is something to be avoided around Chicago.

    Its ok matt, a lot of black people really like fried chicken too.

    When i first started working in the South Bronx, I was amazed that there were actually so many fried chicken places around.

    Of course, despite the stereotypes, the South Bronx is in fact mostly latino (and by that I mean mostly Dominican and Puerto Rican), and fried chicken is a REALLY cheap source of fat and protein, so...yeah

    it's also tasty

    and puerto ricans eat a shit-ton of chicken. pollo y arroz is their national dish

    Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • SarksusSarksus JUST PRINTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    You guys are lame. This SSD is the coolest thing you will ever know about.

    You mean the hard drives or the big ass spaceship?

    Hard drive. OCZ has a new one. Four Sandforce controllers. Special interface that connects to a PCI-E card. 2GBps bandwidth that you'd be hard pressed to saturate.

    Sarksus on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit I'm a good person yes it's trueRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also fun fact: There is less of a genetic difference between your average black person and white person than between the entire genetic diaspora that is commonly called "black."

    In short race is a construct and should not be used as a concept in anything involving genetics.

    people seem to have a tendency to ascribe to genetics way way too much

    Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • ChanusChanus Ribbit! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Fox news is the most retarded thing.

    Fox News isn't as bad as conservapedia. Therefore, they cannot be the 'most' retarded.

    Is there really a difference, outside of format?

    Chanus on
    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
  • PreacherPreacher regular Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What the hell is samoan cooking? I mean samoans are huge, what the fuck do they eat?

    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives regular Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Will - it's been nearly a decade now since I was really into this stuff but when I was in college the fansubs for anime were generally better written english and more accurate in their translations (by far) than the stuff that was eventually churned out by american distributors.

    RiemannLives on
  • ChanusChanus Ribbit! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    What the hell is samoan cooking? I mean samoans are huge, what the fuck do they eat?

    Pigs. Lots of pigs.

    Chanus on
    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
  • EchoEcho mod Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    2GBps bandwidth that you'd be hard pressed to saturate.

    I dunno man, I have Swedish internets.

    Echo on
    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • SarksusSarksus JUST PRINTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    Also fun fact: There is less of a genetic difference between your average black person and white person than between the entire genetic diaspora that is commonly called "black."

    In short race is a construct and should not be used as a concept in anything involving genetics.

    people seem to have a tendency to ascribe to genetics way way too much

    It must be genetic.

    Sarksus on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT regular Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    What the hell is samoan cooking? I mean samoans are huge, what the fuck do they eat?

    They usually aren't too discerning.

    STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • GimGim a quietly erotic life Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    You guys are lame. This SSD is the coolest thing you will ever know about.

    I wanna love them, but they still cost $Texas and I'm waiting for when they'll work forever.

    I want deity drives, Sark.

    Gim on
This discussion has been closed.