As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] you, George Lucas!

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    You guys are lame. This SSD is the coolest thing you will ever know about.

You mean the hard drives or the big ass spaceship?

Hard drive. OCZ has a new one. Four Sandforce controllers. Special interface that connects to a PCI-E card. 2GBps bandwidth that you'd be hard pressed to saturate.

And you'll have to buy a new one every 2-3 years if you are using it frequently.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    Also fun fact: There is less of a genetic difference between your average black person and white person than between the entire genetic diaspora that is commonly called "black."

In short race is a construct and should not be used as a concept in anything involving genetics.

people seem to have a tendency to ascribe to genetics way way too much

That's just your genes talking.

Edit: Sarksuuuuuuuus!

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also fun fact: There is less of a genetic difference between your average black person and white person than between the entire genetic diaspora that is commonly called "black."

In short race is a construct and should not be used as a concept in anything involving genetics.

Well when you group people as black white red or yellow then yes i would agree, but race and genetics do get involved. Jewish people are more likely to have TSACS, sickel cell is most common in people of african heritage etc.

Unless I just missunderstood your post.

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    it's also tasty

and puerto ricans eat a shit-ton of chicken. pollo y arroz is their national dish

It always amuses me when people here talk about 'Dominican food." Because it is always, ALWAYS inevitably chicken and rice.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How is that AV club link legal?

They have some sort of deal with Showtime, I'd reckon.

Gim on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Will - it's been nearly a decade now since I was really into this stuff but when I was in college the fansubs for anime were generally better written english and more accurate in their translations (by far) than the stuff that was eventually churned out by american distributors.

I think that quality has gone up, now that it's a lot more mainstream than back then.

Echo on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Witchdr wrote: »

Well when you group people as black white red or yellow then yes i would agree, but race and genetics do get involved. Jewish people are more likely to have TSACS, sickel cell is most common in people of african heritage etc.

Well, you say "African heritage" and he says "black" and some people don't know there's a difference.

Chanus on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Will - it's been nearly a decade now since I was really into this stuff but when I was in college the fansubs for anime were generally better written english and more accurate in their translations (by far) than the stuff that was eventually churned out by american distributors.

This is less the case now, but still often enough true

edit: assuming of course the show received any sort of international distribution in the first place.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    What the hell is samoan cooking? I mean samoans are huge, what the fuck do they eat?

Pigs. Lots of pigs.

That's all I could think of, so its just pork?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Fox news is the most retarded thing.

Fox News isn't as bad as conservapedia. Therefore, they cannot be the 'most' retarded.

Is there really a difference, outside of format?

Yes, Fox News benefits from the sanity John Stossel <3 brings to the network.

emnmnme on
    edited September 2010
    And you'll have to buy a new one every 2-3 years if you are using it frequently.

Yeah, I really want a SSD as a system drive, but not until they've fixed the degrading.

Echo on
    edited September 2010
    What the hell is samoan cooking? I mean samoans are huge, what the fuck do they eat?

Pigs. Lots of pigs.

That's all I could think of, so its just pork?

Pork and bananas, I think covers most of it.

So lots of fat and sugar.

Chanus on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Hard drive. OCZ has a new one. Four Sandforce controllers. Special interface that connects to a PCI-E card. 2GBps bandwidth that you'd be hard pressed to saturate.

Longevity issues aren't an issue as they once were.

Sarksus on
    edited September 2010
    Gim wrote: »
    Oh you're good Gim.

*narrows eyes*

Too good.

In the event of my death, I leave all of my posts to one of those regulars who seem post all the time but still don't a post count above 15k. One of those sick freaks.

:(... :x

What? It's a beautiful act of charity.

Gim on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I use that quote all the time

Arch on
    edited September 2010

I wanna love them, but they still cost $Texas and I'm waiting for when they'll work forever.

I want deity drives, Sark.

I thought the life on SSDs has gotten to the point that they are fine now? Last time i read up on them i thought they were rated for like 2,000,000 hours.

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
    edited September 2010
    Well, you say "African heritage" and he says "black" and some people don't know there's a difference.

Who was it again that got offended at someone calling Kofi Annan "black" instead of "African-American"? :P

Echo on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I didn't think SSD drives suffered the same degrading that standard flash memory did...

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Right but those are very specific things that involve a single mutation spreading throughout the population of an area. As opposed to something more complicated and stupid like "black people are inherently stupider" or "jews are innately greedy" or what have you.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Echo wrote: »

Who was it again that got offended at someone calling Kofi Annan "black" instead of "African-American"? :P

I haven't heard of that, but that's awesome.

Chanus on
    edited September 2010

Longevity issues aren't an issue as they once were.

Yes, they very much are. Intel is way ahead of everyone else on their controller tech and even their drives don't last all that long compared to platters. And cost about 800 bucks for a good one.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    why are you convinced, then, prima faccae, that there is no genetic component to any racial/ gender differences or tendencies outside of the obvious first-order ones?

I have never said this, and in fact I have said the exact opposite several times, so I'm politely asking that you actually argue against me rather than some windmill upon which you've scotch-taped on a copy of my avatar and a nametag that says "Feral."

so you believe that it is possibile that there are distinct genetically-based behavioral or cognitive differences between different races of people or different genders of people?

because the example of "racism" you gave was drawing a possible causal vector between low IQ scores of blacks and a genetic tendency to perform poorly on IQ tests.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've seen a few people on FOX News being surprisingly reasonable lately. I mean there's always Shep Smith, but I caught a bit of O'Reilly the other week and some lady was spewing vicious, made-up nonsense, and he was all being the voice of reason and stuff. Weird.

Of course for every reasonable person, there are probably three nutcases.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

The basic issue with regards to most political discussions is that this doesn't mean you can imply either that any given black person has sickle-cell or that any given sickle-cell sufferer is black. So where genetic differences are cited, they're given more real-world weight they deserve. Again, this is an issue of a factually true statement ("there are genetic differences between X group and Y group") being given emphasis that it does not deserve in a context where it has minimal relevance.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited September 2010

Right but those are very specific things that involve a single mutation spreading throughout the population of an area. As opposed to something more complicated and stupid like "black people are inherently stupider" or "jews are innately greedy" or what have you.

Yeah, except it would be untrue stuff...

Chanus on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    39 posts away from 30 thousand babyyyy

MikeMan on
    edited September 2010

I wanna love them, but they still cost $Texas and I'm waiting for when they'll work forever.

I thought the life on SSDs has gotten to the point that they are fine now? Last time i read up on them i thought they were rated for like 2,000,000 hours.

The real metric is how many times a given bit can be written. Not hours of operation.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited September 2010
    Oh you're good Gim.

*narrows eyes*

Too good.

In the event of my death, I leave all of my posts to one of those regulars who seem post all the time but still don't a post count above 15k. One of those sick freaks.

:(... :x

What? It's a beautiful act of charity.

Right to put them over 100k and get them autoignored, some charity gim. They are being conservative!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I saw the first ever AK-47 on Sunday. It was surprisingly cool to see it and now you can too -
    5036372411_e397a6a530.jpg

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arch wrote: »

... you quoted me from the future often in the past :?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited September 2010

If that's the case, I'm still waiting for them to drop down to $Pennsylvania.

Gim on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Compared to his comrades, O'Reilly actually seems pretty reasonable. I mean, it's relative. I rarely agree with him, but when you put him up next to Palin, sometimes I actually feel sorry for him.

Silas Brown on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Samoans also eat lots of macadamia and pistachios.

So pretty much tons of plant and animal fat

Ludious on
    edited September 2010

oh well yeah then i agree entirely, except about those sneaky jews, thats a recessive trait passed down from Moses

Witchdr on

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arch wrote: »

... you quoted me from the future often in the past :?

I mean Psycho Internet Hawk's, and I really should have specified that I use my own variant of it and stop being so pedantic dangit

:P

Arch on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Seriously though the fact that in order to watch Dexter I have to order a premium cable package is fucktarded.

There is an internet.

I can pay you for the shows I want to watch and you can give them to me through that.

Enjoy.

"The following program has been edited from its original form. To see the full unedited episode, order Showtime now"

I mean I appreciate the gesture and everything. But I also don't know how legit this is, and I'm doubting they will legally stream every episode after it airs.

What I'm saying is I want to pay Showtime moneys for this show just like the fuckload of other shows you can buy off iTunes (yes I would even resort to using iTunes).

Really I just want a Steam-like for music and video. So when I purchase something it's linked to my god damned account.

I'd buy so much music from iTunes if they didn't laugh and tell me to rebuy it if my HD crashes. Instead I only buy things off it that I can't find in a store.

HappylilElf on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So..Amazon, then Elf?

Ludious on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    so you believe that it is possibile that there are distinct genetically-based behavioral or cognitive differences between different races of people or different genders of people?

because the example of "racism" you gave was drawing a possible causal vector between low IQ scores of blacks and a genetic tendency to perform poorly on IQ tests.

Even if solid evidence of this hypothetical genetic etiology were found, it would have so little relevance on most common political or ethical discussions that emphasizing that evidence would itself be a racist or sexist position. Just because I think that an idea is being given too much weight doesn't mean I think the idea is factually untrue. However, in this case, there is no solid evidence of genetic etiology of cognitive differences between men and women or between black and white people.

The fact that we're having this discussion (that you're more interested in the truth value of the statement "there are genetic differences between X and Y groups" rather than the relevancy or context) pretty much demonstrates my point perfectly.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited September 2010
    So pork and nuts? I just don't ever recall "samoan" places opening up and serving really good but really bad for you food.

Come on you pacific islanders serve me your horrible food that may or may not be based on cannabalism of my ancestors!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Compared to his comrades, O'Reilly actually seems pretty reasonable. I mean, it's relative. I rarely agree with him, but when you put him up next to Palin, sometimes I actually feel sorry for him.

Yeah, he seems to try to think things through at least. He might have been cool when he was young. It seems like the older people get the more challenging it becomes to remain open-minded.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
This discussion has been closed.