As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] you, George Lucas!

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I looked into using one of those 2.5 HDD cases that held 2 CF cards and would run in raid 0 or raid 1, but then I looked into it a little further and the CF cards would only hold up to a thousand writes, so basically it would last about a year or two before I'd have to replace them.

It would be a little faster than a 7500 rpm though, way cheaper than an SSD, a lot more stable than platters, and about the same power consumption, if not a little smaller.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I want a steam-like or netflix-like service for every bit of media I enjoy

movies, books, comic books, video games

Either I can "indefinitely rent with a monthly fee" or I can purchase something and link it to an account

Arch on
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Witchdr wrote: »
    Also fun fact: There is less of a genetic difference between your average black person and white person than between the entire genetic diaspora that is commonly called "black."

In short race is a construct and should not be used as a concept in anything involving genetics.

Well when you group people as black white red or yellow then yes i would agree, but race and genetics do get involved. Jewish people are more likely to have TSACS, sickel cell is most common in people of african heritage etc.

Unless I just missunderstood your post.

Right but those are very specific things that involve a single mutation spreading throughout the population of an area. As opposed to something more complicated and stupid like "black people are inherently stupider" or "jews are innately greedy" or what have you.

Yeah, except it would be untrue stuff...

Yes that was my point.

I hope you did not think I was arguing that black people are stupid or jews are greedy, those are examples of things that are commonly pointed to as "genetic differences" in races, by people who want to use genetics as a basis for their own awful racist views.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »
    Oh you're good Gim.

*narrows eyes*

Too good.

In the event of my death, I leave all of my posts to one of those regulars who seem post all the time but still don't a post count above 15k. One of those sick freaks.

:(... :x

What? It's a beautiful act of charity.

Right to put them over 100k and get them autoignored, some charity gim. They are being conservative!

With great power comes great responsibility. Or, in this case, no power and a lot of statistical shame.

You're right, it's not so much charity as it is The Black Spot. The Gim Spot.

Gim on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Will there is a big difference between saying "there is a statistically significant lean towards genetic basis for X trait in Y population" and the implication that this somehow carries some sort of value beyond the fact of its existence.

Which is, I think, Feral's point.

Additionally, I think we have well gone over how difficult it is to prescribe a genetic basis for many (if not all!) behavior traits in subsets of the human population (male, female, cis gendered, queer, black, white, asian, and so forth.)

but we're quick to impute broad differences in social programming between as the cause for any measurable difference between genetically or physically-distinct subgroups.

in fact, we automatically do it, but these days with a really careful little dance to not impute any negative traits on any specific culture or subculture.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    You guys are lame. This SSD is the coolest thing you will ever know about.

You mean the hard drives or the big ass spaceship?

Hard drive. OCZ has a new one. Four Sandforce controllers. Special interface that connects to a PCI-E card. 2GBps bandwidth that you'd be hard pressed to saturate.

And you'll have to buy a new one every 2-3 years if you are using it frequently.

Longevity issues aren't an issue as they once were.

Yes, they very much are. Intel is way ahead of everyone else on their controller tech and even their drives don't last all that long compared to platters. And cost about 800 bucks for a good one.

That is really old information, especially the price and the lead you ascribe to Intel. The 100GB IBIS, the SSD I was talking about, costs around $529 and it's overkill for anything but enterprise applications. A Vertex 2, which is extremely adept in a regular desktop environment costs $240 for 120GB. Intel is still good but Sandforce controllers are the new black and OCZ is championing them quite well. Longevity of SSDs has improved significantly. They will write and read for longer and with TRIM and good garbage collection they will maintain the speeds they had brand new. Enterprise use may see SSDs running down after a few years but regular desktop users, even power users, won't punish SSDs as badly.

Sarksus on
    edited September 2010
    Will I seriously hope you are not going to start arguing the Bell Curve.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    if there aren't genetic differences between races then why sickle cell anemia?

and rhythm

Ludious on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »
    So I saw the first ever AK-47 on Sunday. It was surprisingly cool to see it and now you can too -
    5036372411_e397a6a530.jpg

I like the hardware layout

I wonder why they changed it :?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Compared to his comrades, O'Reilly actually seems pretty reasonable. I mean, it's relative. I rarely agree with him, but when you put him up next to Palin, sometimes I actually feel sorry for him.

i've said often that i think it is a shame that Fox news is so crazy right on the politcal scale. Being the only conservative TV media source they could really get an edge on the others by having conservative views but turning down the crazy to below 11.

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Also fun fact: There is less of a genetic difference between your average black person and white person than between the entire genetic diaspora that is commonly called "black."

In short race is a construct and should not be used as a concept in anything involving genetics.

Yeah, this

I mean, IQ probably does have some genetic basis, but the idea that differences in IQ would somehow correspond to the entirely unscientific 19th century constructions of race is an idea so stupid it would be hilarious if it weren't so commonly believed

Fartacus on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Either I can "indefinitely rent with a monthly fee" or I can purchase something and link it to an account

Vidya games are going in that direction, you can buy a lot of 360 games and download them directly from Live now.

And there's the Kindle and other (lesser!) eBook readers for books.

Don't know about comic books.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

It's already there for most of that.

I mean Gamefly (but it uses actual physical disks) and Gametap for on demand gaming (albeit much older games)

Netflix for movies

Marvel.com for comic books

Zune Pass for music, or Pandora for free.

I'm sure there's a book service out there too, I just don't read enough to look into that.

amateurhour on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    "Did CBS use teen pop star Justin Bieber to attack the Tea Party movement?

BIEBER!"

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Will there is a big difference between saying "there is a statistically significant lean towards genetic basis for X trait in Y population" and the implication that this somehow carries some sort of value beyond the fact of its existence.

Which is, I think, Feral's point.

Additionally, I think we have well gone over how difficult it is to prescribe a genetic basis for many (if not all!) behavior traits in subsets of the human population (male, female, cis gendered, queer, black, white, asian, and so forth.)

but we're quick to impute broad differences in social programming between as the cause for any measurable difference between genetically or physically-distinct subgroups.

in fact, we automatically do it, but these days with a really careful little dance to not impute any negative traits on any specific culture or subculture.
    Will I seriously hope you are not going to start arguing the Bell Curve.

Arch on
    edited September 2010
    Elldren wrote: »

people seem to have a tendency to ascribe to genetics way way too much

I use that quote all the time

... you quoted me from the future often in the past :?

I mean Psycho Internet Hawk's, and I really should have specified that I use my own variant of it and stop being so pedantic dangit

:P

I just got really confused, wondering if I inadvertently quoted something famous.

This is especially confusing given how idiosyncratically I constructed the sentence

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    the race episode of radiolab is interesting!

that is my contribution!

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I mean Gamefly (but it uses actual physical disks) and Gametap for on demand gaming (albeit much older games)

Netflix for movies

I'm sure there's a book service out there too, I just don't read enough to look into that.

There is not one for Dexter.

This is the heart of the issue here Chuck.

Nocturne on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010

there is less an average height difference between women and men (maybe three inches) than in the height variance in the entire genetic subclass of men (what - three feet to eight feet?)

but women are still significantly shorter than men.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah GameFly is pretty good too if you're close enough to a shipping center. You have to game the system a bit to get what you want, when you want, though, which can be annoying.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »

Netflix for movies

There is not one for Dexter.

This is the heart of the issue here Chuck.
    what

Ludious on
    edited September 2010

some people do this, yeah

but other people have a tendency to dismiss the possibility of genetic differences way too much

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010
    Its really like you missed my point entirely Will- yes these differences may exist on the "genetic" level. But what does that mean, aside from the simple fact that it does exist?

Too often the argument line goes "Look, I know you don't like this but it is the cold scientific truth that X is better than Y at Z activity! So learn to deal with it!"

When really it should be "Statistically, individuals in X group have been better than Y at Z activity, and there is a genetic basis for this." I mean there is a subtle, but real difference in the two statements.

Arch on
    edited September 2010
    9/12 Servers Complete.

amateurhour on
    edited September 2010

but other people have a tendency to dismiss the possibility of genetic differences way too much

And some other people have a tendency to think genetic differences have anything meaningful to say about human beings, and additionally that genetic differences are an easy thing to determine for complex behaviors!

Arch on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    9/12 Servers Complete.

NEVER FORGET

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    edited September 2010
    See I'd rather buy the seasons on DVD than through Amazon/Itunes.

You don't get the bonus features with Amazon/Itunes

amateurhour on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Maybe among university anthropology departments in the 1970s, perhaps.

Today, pretty much all work in the social sciences is done in the bio-social-cognitive model which emphasizes the biological underpinnings of behavior (and the possible causes thereof, including but not limited to genetics).

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    9/12 Servers Complete.

NEVER FORGET

*takes nine shots*

also, I was going to say a thing and now I've forgotten it!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    can it be tomorrow already

i wanna get paaaaaaid

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    9/12 Servers Complete.

NEVER FORGET

Knock knock.

Echo on
    edited September 2010
    do you remember when them towers fell

Ludious on
    edited September 2010

there is less an average height difference between women and men (maybe three inches) than in the height variance in the entire genetic subclass of men (what - three feet to eight feet?)

That's not even a genetic difference though

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited September 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    9/12 Servers Complete.

NEVER FORGET

Knock knock.

Who's there?

amateurhour on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    9/12 Servers Complete.

NEVER FORGET

*takes nine shots*

also, I was going to say a thing and now I've forgotten it!

That's what happens when you take 9 shots.

Silas Brown on
    edited September 2010

Also they tend to have vaginas

OH NO MY LEFTIST WORLDVIEW IS CRUMBLING

But no seriously congrats you've figured out that there are distinct differences between difference people, good for you.

Too bad that's not enough to make the logical leap to "women can't do math"

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I believe in genetics and DNA, but I don't believe in evolution.

After all, if evolution exists, why are monkeys STILL around?

langfor6 on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    langfor6 wrote: »
    I believe in genetics and DNA, but I don't believe in evolution.

After all, if evolution exists, why are monkeys STILL around?

:lol:

Silas Brown on
    edited September 2010
    Will - it's been nearly a decade now since I was really into this stuff but when I was in college the fansubs for anime were generally better written english and more accurate in their translations (by far) than the stuff that was eventually churned out by american distributors.

i'd believe it. i had some neighbors in virginia who did fansubs and they really lived their lives around the animes. their entire apartment was full of mangas and dictionaries and posters and whatnot. they talked all the time about getting back to the mother country and one of them had come up with an entire cast of characters and their accompanying synth soundtrack that would play in the background in the 2d hand-drawn sprite fighting game that he was eventually going to find someone to program for him.

they were nothing if not dedicated. and smart/ talented enough that i'd imagine that they could pull off a good fansub.

i guess my point is that an IP-related business can't really compete with obsessive fans who are willing to disregard copyright. There's a lot to being an international media company, and it's almost impossible to compete with "your product, only free"

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    9/12 Servers Complete.

NEVER FORGET

Knock knock.

Who's there?

9/11.

Echo on