As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] you, George Lucas!

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gim wrote: »
    Someone experimented a lot with how the human body deals with freezing temperatures up to the point of death, but I can't remember who. I don't think it was Mengele. Does anybody know?

Dr. Victor Von Freeze.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Someone experimented a lot with how the human body deals with freezing temperatures up to the point of death, but I can't remember who. I don't think it was Mengele. Does anybody know?

That was Unit 731 stuff.

Echo on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just saw the XBox giveaway on the second newspost today.

holy mother of fuck

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I really don't know where Daxon is coming from at this point.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    Rust wrote: »
    speaking of unethical, I wish we could just all hold our noses for a few decades and do some seriously nefarious research on death row inmates so we could do a rocket advancement in medicine.

why use death row inmates when there are all these perfectly healthy bankers sitting around

ok

I'm just saying that I'd push the button if there were one
    I was just thinking the other day how bad would it be, really, if we just killed everyone who's ever posted on Stormfront.org.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wish someone would remake Fallout 1 and 2 with Baldur's Gate combat so that they would be good games

Ludious? You know how sometimes people just give a slightly confused look and then say "You have terrible opinions."?

This is why

HappylilElf on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

holy mother of fuck

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man between Dead Rising 2 and Minecraft I need it to be the weekend already. LIKE NOW!

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Also fun fact: There is less of a genetic difference between your average black person and white person than between the entire genetic diaspora that is commonly called "black."

In short race is a construct and should not be used as a concept in anything involving genetics.

there is less an average height difference between women and men (maybe three inches) than in the height variance in the entire genetic subclass of men (what - three feet to eight feet?)

but women are still significantly shorter than men.

Also they tend to have vaginas

OH NO MY LEFTIST WORLDVIEW IS CRUMBLING

But no seriously congrats you've figured out that there are distinct differences between difference people, good for you.

Too bad that's not enough to make the logical leap to "women can't do math"

but i didn't say that women can't do math

what i'm saying is that this dismissive statistical sophistry doesn't help the position that you're trying to establish.

You are missing the point, again. I don't want to keep typing this.

We are not dismissing the statistics. They exist. There may be, and can be, measurable differences in ability (possibly based solely on genetics!) between races, genders, and whatever have you.

But it literally doesn't mean anything other than "there are differences between people."

Which was Psycho's point: You can isolate a statistically significant population that is better or worse at something, on average than another population. But what do you do with that knowledge? Hoorah, you have identified that different people are good or bad at different things!

At best it is simply pointless data, at worst it can be used by less moral people to reinforce damaging stereotypes.

The social and life sciences has long since realized this, and just kind of given up on the whole thing.

what i was taking issue with in PIH's post was this old canard about the in-group variance being higher than the cross-group difference somehow trivializing the cross-group difference. it doesn't.

more to your point, though, what i was taking issue with was feral's contention that acknowledgment or even the consideration of a genetic cross-group difference (in the case of IQ test performance) was necessarily racist.

Group A and Group B have a statistical difference in metric X. What are the causes?

Is it social?

maybe

Is it environmental?

maybe

Is it cultural?

maybe

Is it genetic?

you racist!

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wish someone would remake Fallout 1 and 2 with Baldur's Gate combat so that they would be good games

Ludious? You know how sometimes people just give a slightly confused look and then say "You have terrible opinions."?

This is why

I hate turn based

Ludious on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Echo wrote: »

That was Unit 731 stuff.

Why didn't they just use monkeys or something?

Couscous on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks that in today and age that black people are as "smart" on average as white people is dumb.

Anyone who thinks this is because of genetics is a bloody moron.

you know this because you have done years of research, right?

because you are en expert on cognitive biology, right?

We have to do our own research and be experts in fields to have opinions on things now?

But, no, you are certainly right. There are certainly no glaringly obvious political, social and economic reasons as to why black people on average are less smart than white people in the US.

Inquisitor on
    edited September 2010
    Aegis wrote: »

holy mother of fuck

Ahahahaha! Oh god, this is so goddamn 1990s Rob Liefeld. :D
    1027441465_hQRcZ-X2.jpg

Echo on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

This is why

I hate turn based
    You have terrible opinions.

Couscous on
    edited September 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

That was Unit 731 stuff.

Too expensive. You need to raise them and shit. It's cheaper to just grab some peasants. They breed like bunnies anyway.

And they were Chinese peasants. That's, like, not even human.

Echo on
    edited September 2010
    Man I love gabes take on Liefield, also you'll notice not one foot shown.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    God dammit Daxon I just explained the sickle cell thing, and if you extend the metaphor to women you will see the point I am trying to make.

Also raised estrogen levels can correspond not only to genetics, but also to environmental interference in regulatory regions that increase production of estrogen even in males.

Yeah but how are those environments created? May it perchance be some genetic factors being turn on and off at appropriate times resulting in this?

Nah, it's probably magic.

You do realize the importance of cis-regulation and epigenetic control of genetic expression right? Or do you want to keep twisting my words? environment can also mean extra organismal influence which lead to an increase in estrogen production in both sexes. Oh wait, maaagiccc

What extra organismal influences?

You realize that you are implying that hormone levels in the average human female are not subject to any sort of outside influences in either up or down regulation correct?

No, dude, it was like a specific question.

What extra organismal influences?

Daxon on
    edited September 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

That was Unit 731 stuff.

They didn't have monkeys

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited September 2010
    I didn't realize people actually still put any stock into IQ tests.

Inquisitor on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

Holy shit, that is awesome.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Once the Left 4 Dead comic is over, I am thinking about writing the stupidest fanfiction ever.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Should I eat or play League of Legends?

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Daxon, cigarette smoking (from perusing the literature) can decrease estrogen production in women. There are numerous studies on this easily accessible.

If you believe that you can only downregulate estrogen production, welp I have a friend who needs you to give him his bank account number because he needs someone he can trust to hold some money for him.

Arch on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Has Liefeld ever come out with a statement about all the shit Mike has given him over the years?

amateurhour on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Once the Left 4 Dead comic is over, I am thinking about writing the stupidest fanfiction ever.

Louis and Francis, alone in their cell, while the guards watch?

edited September 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »

Also I liked the ass shot, not an ass shot, and then the horrible profile shot showing how horrific "sycthe" looked.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010
    Has Liefeld ever come out with a statement about all the shit Mike has given him over the years?

He was going to but he couldn't find his pen under all the piles of money, and it was hard to get up and look for one with a beautiful woman in his lap.

edited September 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »

I kno right? :D

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010

can't you do both

Nerdgasmic on
    edited September 2010

"I made and continue to make mony off being an awful artist/writer/person/dresser/named human being."

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

can't you do both

Son have you ever pulled off a quadrakill with a burger in your hands?

• Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh man, a contest to do a Rob Liefeld pose? I'm a shoe-in! My manboobs are glorious!

Silas Brown on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

can't you do both

it's hard to see the screen over the feed bag

damn it nerd why do you make me say a thing

Ludious on
    edited September 2010
    You should eat Cass, while I go do some yard work, and then LoL when I get back. Or whatever, it's all gravy.

Inquisitor on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010

can't you do both

Son have you ever pulled off a quadrakill with a burger in your hands?

I think my lifetime total is 3 kills

Nerdgasmic on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Both

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
    edited September 2010
    Isn't Sycthe a character that Jerry came up with that they showed off in Mikes old sketch portfolio in book 2?

amateurhour on
    edited September 2010

He was going to but he couldn't find his pen under all the piles of money, and it was hard to get up and look for one with a beautiful woman in his lap.

Only the lower half of the woman though. The spine snapped right noff.

Echo on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Every picture of Rob Liefeld I've ever seen makes him look literally ten years old.

It's bizarre.

japan on
This discussion has been closed.