As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] you, George Lucas!

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    You should eat Cass, while I go do some yard work, and then LoL when I get back. Or whatever, it's all gravy.

How long will your yardwork take

this will change where I go to eat

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Has Liefeld ever come out with a statement about all the shit Mike has given him over the years?

He was going to but he couldn't find his pen under all the piles of money, and it was hard to get up and look for one with a beautiful woman in his lap.

aka he was sleeping

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wait what? Jacobkosh is a mod now? How do I miss these things!

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Daxon, cigarette smoking (from perusing the literature) can decrease estrogen production in women. There are numerous studies on this easily accessible.

If you believe that you can only downregulate estrogen production, welp I have a friend who needs you to give him his bank account number because he needs someone he can trust to hold some money for him.

Uh.. I don't, in fact I haven't even said anything about what I believe affects oestrogen production. You're just making things up and saying I said them.

On the other hand I'm going to hazard a guess it's essentially genetic as to why women have more oestrogen in their body than men.

Daxon on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »
    Someone experimented a lot with how the human body deals with freezing temperatures up to the point of death, but I can't remember who. I don't think it was Mengele. Does anybody know?

That was Unit 731 stuff.

Ah, that was them.

This day has seen an overabundance of 731 mention.
    Preacher wrote: »
    Dr. Victor Von Freeze.

I told you I'd shoot , but you didn't believe me? Why didn't you believe me?!

Gim on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You should eat Cass, while I go do some yard work, and then LoL when I get back. Or whatever, it's all gravy.

Uh, I have no idea to be honest. Depends on if I can figure out how to use a power tool to do the job or do it by hand. Also it depends on how hot it is and how long I wanna stay out.

Basically, don't plan around me, but if we do meet up to LoL at the same time it would be sweet.

Inquisitor on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    japan wrote: »
    Every picture of Rob Liefeld I've ever seen makes him look literally ten years old.

It's bizarre.

Baseball cap perrenially askew, fading hairline hidden from view, an artist without a clue.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also daxon, here you go!

high-fiber diets showed a decrease in estrogen!

So there is a specific extragenic compound that affects estrogen production.

Arch on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Once the Left 4 Dead comic is over, I am thinking about writing the stupidest fanfiction ever.

Louis and Francis, alone in their cell, while the guards watch?

No. Even dumber.
    Be careful about reading this.
    Last chance.
    Here we go...
    Bill's Spirit is brought to a tram by Gman. He's been observing Missster Overbeck and concluded he could be a great asset. Could be is the word, because he wasn't "cultivated" properly and, obviously, he's dead. A man with connections like Gman does not let potential simply pass, so he gives Bill a second chance for life. Not his own life, for that ship has sailed, but to be reborn in a new universe, where Gman can keep an eye on him and help his potential develop. Bill accepts.

In a hospital in an alternate 1971, a boy is born to proud parents.
    They call the child Gordon.

I'm so sorry.

RMS Oceanic on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Every picture of Rob Liefeld I've ever seen makes him look literally ten years old.

It's bizarre.

Baseball cap perrenially askew, fading hairline hidden from view, an artist without a clue.

word.

Nerdgasmic on
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aegis wrote: »

You missed the election?

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    what i was taking issue with in PIH's post was this old canard about the in-group variance being higher than the cross-group difference somehow trivializing the cross-group difference. it doesn't.

more to your point, though, what i was taking issue with was feral's contention that acknowledgment or even the consideration of a genetic cross-group difference (in the case of IQ test performance) was necessarily racist.

Group A and Group B have a statistical difference in metric X. What are the causes?

Is it social?

maybe

Is it environmental?

maybe

Is it cultural?

maybe

Is it genetic?

you racist!

Will, nobody here is claiming that groups don't tend to have genetic trends. The problem is that there are plenty of other, greater influences on what makes a person who they are, and automatically judging someone based on the color of their skin without taking into account any other factor is, in fact racist.

If you meet a black person who is not exceptionally bright, you would be racist to assume it's because of a genetic marker present in all black people. Maybe their family wasn't involved in their education! Maybe school just didn't catch their interest! Maybe it was a crappy school! WHO KNOWS.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Daxon, you are doing what your av is doing.

why are you doing it?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

You missed the election?

There was an election?

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Uh, I have no idea to be honest. Depends on if I can figure out how to use a power tool to do the job or do it by hand. Also it depends on how hot it is and how long I wanna stay out.

Basically, don't plan around me, but if we do meet up to LoL at the same time it would be sweet.

Ok I'm going to treat myself to a proper sit-down lunch.

See you later alligator.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    what i was taking issue with was feral's contention that acknowledgment or even the consideration of a genetic cross-group difference (in the case of IQ test performance) was necessarily racist.

I didn't make that contention.

Not that me pointing this out for the umpteenth time is going to stop you from attributing to me ideas that I don't actually espouse.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited September 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    Daxon, cigarette smoking (from perusing the literature) can decrease estrogen production in women. There are numerous studies on this easily accessible.

If you believe that you can only downregulate estrogen production, welp I have a friend who needs you to give him his bank account number because he needs someone he can trust to hold some money for him.

Uh.. I don't, in fact I haven't even said anything about what I believe affects oestrogen production. You're just making things up and saying I said them.

On the other hand I'm going to hazard a guess it's essentially genetic as to why women have more oestrogen in their body than men.

yes it is genetic that women have more estrogen because the primary site of estrogen production is the uterus.

You asked for specific examples of ways that estrogen expression can be altered, I gave them, and while I don't disagree with the statement that women have more estrogen because of genetics is untrue.

To say that the reason women are taller is solely genetic is completely fucking bogus, and you can't just cite "estrogen" as the sole mediator and determinant of height, as there are plenty of ways for both sexes to increase or decrease estrogen production.

Arch on
    edited September 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    what i was taking issue with was feral's contention that acknowledgment or even the consideration of a genetic cross-group difference (in the case of IQ test performance) was necessarily racist.

Not that me pointing this out for the umpteenth time is going to stop you from attributing to me ideas that I don't actually espouse.

Ironic.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    you're both wrong, estrogen is purely a social factor

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Once the Left 4 Dead comic is over, I am thinking about writing the stupidest fanfiction ever.

No. Even dumber.
    Last chance.
    Here we go...
    Bill's Spirit is brought to a tram by Gman. He's been observing Missster Overbeck and concluded he could be a great asset. Could be is the word, because he wasn't "cultivated" properly and, obviously, he's dead. A man with connections like Gman does not let potential simply pass, so he gives Bill a second chance for life. Not his own life, for that ship has sailed, but to be reborn in a new universe, where Gman can keep an eye on him and help his potential develop. Bill accepts.

I'm so sorry.

scanners.jpg

Silas Brown on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    it must be awful tiring being will

Ludious on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Anyone who thinks that in today and age that black people are as "smart" on average as white people is dumb.

Anyone who thinks this is because of genetics is a bloody moron.

you know this because you have done years of research, right?

because you are en expert on cognitive biology, right?

We have to do our own research and be experts in fields to have opinions on things now?

But, no, you are certainly right. There are certainly no glaringly obvious political, social and economic reasons as to why black people on average are less smart than white people in the US.

personally, if i had to guess, i would think that socio-economic factors would dwarf any kind of genetic component in terms of cross-race IQ test performance.

but i don't know, and i don't think i'd refer to anyone who came to a different conclusion a "moron"

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, this is going to be a thing for a while isn't it. Jacob, you should make a sticky introducing yourself then infract anyone who shows surprise in other threads.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited September 2010
    Feral wrote: »

I'm pretty sure you actually stated explicitly that it was not necessarily racist

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would like to see a Skeksis/Mystics joining of Will and Feral. The forum has long been splintered. Now is the time for the urForumer to be reformed.

Gim on
    edited September 2010
    Man, this is going to be a thing for a while isn't it. Jacob, you should make a sticky introducing yourself then infract anyone who shows surprise in other threads.

please fucking do this

Arch on
    edited September 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    it must be awful tiring being will

I was just thinking that as I was looking at some recent infractions.

Silas Brown on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

No. Even dumber.
    Last chance.
    Here we go...

I'm so sorry.

scanners.jpg

Is that from the stupid or the awesome?
    It's probably the stupid

RMS Oceanic on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Also daxon, here you go!

high-fiber diets showed a decrease in estrogen!

So there is a specific extragenic compound that affects estrogen production.

didn't he say that women on average produce proportionally higher levels of estrogen than men?

what do second-order causes for induced estrogen throttling have to do with what he said?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010

yes it is genetic that women have more estrogen because the primary site of estrogen production is the uterus.

You asked for specific examples of ways that estrogen expression can be altered, I gave them, and while I don't disagree with the statement that women have more estrogen because of genetics is untrue.

To say that the reason women are taller is solely genetic is completely fucking bogus, and you can't just cite "estrogen" as the sole mediator and determinant of height, as there are plenty of ways for both sexes to increase or decrease estrogen production.

heeheehee

<3 Arch, but that is one hell of a freudian slip

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd make such a horrible mod.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
    edited September 2010

This is actually how I found out ceres got made a mod in H/A, as there was a gigantic sticky.

It just confused me because jacobkosh had the mod tag, but then also had a sig/avatar that kind of reminded me of Than so I wasn't sure if jacob was really a new mod, or if Than just kidnapped jacob's avatar, sig, name and is hiding him under his basement in a cage.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

What I'm saying is this:

A) Greatest factor affecting your oestrogen levels is sex. Being a woman = high, man = lower.

B) Oestrogen is one of the (if not the) strongest factor affecting the fusion of the long bones (when they're fused, they no longer grow so early fusion = shorter, later fusion = longer).

Ergo: women are generally shorter than men.

How is this disagreeable to anyone?

Sure there are other factors but being a woman is generally going to make you shorter than a man, given same nutritional status etc.

Daxon on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010

Honestly, I kind of like reading everyone's expressions of surprise and/or dismay.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    fuck it, i'm out.

Dunadan019 on
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    what i was taking issue with in PIH's post was this old canard about the in-group variance being higher than the cross-group difference somehow trivializing the cross-group difference. it doesn't.

I agree with you here, but it can be useful for a little perspective, especially if people are saying stuff like "broads shouldn't work construction."
    more to your point, though, what i was taking issue with was feral's contention that acknowledgment or even the consideration of a genetic cross-group difference (in the case of IQ test performance) was necessarily racist.

I don't think that's the point he was making. I think he was making that point specifically when talking about black/white differences of IQ. Because in that instance, it is racist, because there's no reason to believe, conceptually or empirically, that such differences are genetic.

IQ absolutely is hereditary to some extent. I think the average number given for that is somewhere around 60%?

But there's no reason to believe, conceptually, that there would be a population-wide genetic basis for lower intelligence among blacks than whites, given that those categories are not genetically sound -- i.e. there's tremendous genetic variability within both of those groupings, because both of those groupings are based on some really vague ideas that have nothing to do with shared environments (be they social, ecological, climatological, or otherwise), genetics, or anything else. They're mostly defined by national ancestry, really; they're not really even based on phenotypic markers, as plenty of people are considered "Black" who are of majority European heritage.

The point is, there's no conceptual framework by which it would even be plausible that such genetic differences between blacks and whites in IQ would arise, and there is no empirical evidence to believe otherwise, so raising the question is sort of racist. It's one of those "teach the controversy" moments where there really isn't any controversy.

Fartacus on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I need to get a cordless drill driver that isn't shit.

One of the big 18V Hitachis would be nice.

japan on
    edited September 2010
    No. Even dumber.
    Last chance.
    Here we go...

I'm so sorry.

scanners.jpg

Is that from the stupid or the awesome?
    It's probably the stupid

Stupid awesome

Silas Brown on
    edited September 2010
    I'd make such a horrible mod.

I wouldn't, not that anyone would believe me.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Will, what makes me even more mad than this whole debate is the fact that it is even happening in the first place. Why do you give a shit if it's genetic? What does this prove about black people if it is? What would that mean we should do with them? Should we start treating them differently?

I'm arguing from my perspective because I know that there are plenty of factors that make up a person, that race as viewed by society is largely a rigid construct that's in reality very fluid, and I know from history and from personal experience how people are treated when a perceived innate racial flaw is assumed to be the predominant makeup of their being, and I believe that all people deserve to be treated with respect. Why do you care?

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
This discussion has been closed.