As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] you, George Lucas!

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I do think that the question of "is X group better or worse at Z activity" is inherently *insert correct reprimand* due to the nature of the question.

Why did you wonder this in the first place? Why do you care? How are you going to explain it?

Arch on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    I don't really like Pink Floyd.

well

all in all

you're just another brick in the wall

That's the exact song that made me have that thought. This music makes me feel like what I imagine Irond Will feels like when he reads posts here.

that's not exactly their best song

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Part of me wants to say someone like Bob or Cass would be good mods

but at the same time maybe they should diminish, go into the west, and remain Galadriel.

Female mods don't really work, nothing against the posters, its the people they are moderating that become an issue.

Like having a guard at a male jail be a chick, its not a good idea.

my mother in law was a guard at a male prison for years and she held her own just fine

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Let us use the scientific method!

First, let us ask a question

"Can African American intelligence be correlated to genetics?"

I don't feel this is a legitimate question, and I don't think it can ever really be asked in good faith.

And if you just jump to the next step, I think it infers a huge confirmation bias.

Arch on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Hmm 23 page pictorial on burlesque video game characters. Tasteful.

I can verify this

my boundaries were challenged

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Will, what makes me even more mad than this whole debate is the fact that it is even happening in the first place. Why do you give a shit if it's genetic? What does this prove about black people if it is? What would that mean we should do with them? Should we start treating them differently?

I'm arguing from my perspective because I know that there are plenty of factors that make up a person, that race as viewed by society is largely a rigid construct that's in reality very fluid, and I know from history and from personal experience how people are treated when a perceived innate racial flaw is assumed to be the predominant makeup of their being, and I believe that all people deserve to be treated with respect. Why do you care?

i actually don't care at all, and don't really believe that there's any significant genetic difference in cross-racial intelligence.

i just didn't like what i saw as the smug self-congratulatory sophistry being trotted out as an enlightened liberal viewpoint regarding "racism" or "sexism" or whatever else. it stank to me.

now, i do think that there are probably some general cross-gender behavioral tendencies, which i guess is what was originally being talked about before this racial thing became the focus.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Can silver members on live join parties to chat?

Just wondering because Preach if DR2 comes in today we can play but I want the wife to be able to get on the chat's with us.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Hmm 23 page pictorial on burlesque video game characters. Tasteful.

I can verify this

my boundaries were challenged

Suddenly it becomes apparent how I avoid bans...

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here. Not too fond of Animals. Haven't listened to the rest of their albums.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ooooh, Screwfix have an 18V Cordless Hitachi SDS drill for £150.

No chisel mode, though, and I'd need to get a couple of batteries and a charger.

japan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Just wondering because Preach if DR2 comes in today we can play but I want the wife to be able to get on the chat's with us.

I have no idea, thats a good question.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    'nother guy got fired at work

or, well, "he no longer works here" but yeah, since he left on the day I'm pretty damn sure he didn't quit voluntarily

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010

They can't.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just realized i was being a doof and was going to do my yard work during the hottest part of the day and I was going to work on my resume when it was nice and cool in the evening.

I have now swapped the order of operations.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Will, nobody here is claiming that groups don't tend to have genetic trends. The problem is that there are plenty of other, greater influences on what makes a person who they are, and automatically judging someone based on the color of their skin without taking into account any other factor is, in fact racist.

If you meet a black person who is not exceptionally bright, you would be racist to assume it's because of a genetic marker present in all black people. Maybe their family wasn't involved in their education! Maybe school just didn't catch their interest! Maybe it was a crappy school! WHO KNOWS.

well, i absolutely agree with this.

in fact, this was my position from page 1.

my position has always been that consideration of the possibility of cross-race genetic differences was not, in of itself, racist.

whereas feral's position was that this was racist in the context of black people and IQ tests.

Actually, it kind of is. Because then you have to scramble to explain those differences.

I dare you to find a way to explain them that isn't A) racist and B) doesn't invoke social factors, which invalidates the first point.

consideration of a possibility doesn't connote to me any more a burden to explain than the assertions of test bias or whatever else, and i don't really think it necessarily imputes racism.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Thank you Farticus, for so eloquently saying what Feral and I have been trying to get at.

See, this is why I think you're a good poster. You post smart things.

Tell that to Jacob. :|

Fartacus on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Daxon wrote: »

@Arch: it's never racist to ask questions. Asking a question can't be racist, unless it implies a value statement like "why are Jews so terrible?"

A question like "could it be that darker skinned people have lower/higher [characteristic] in comparison to lighter skinned people?" is not racist.

Alright, provide a framework for this trait to have arisen when it is not easily deduced from environmental effects (sickle cell, melanin production) without being racist.

In my edit I did say it would be a pretty dumb question to ask. Still not going to say it's racist though.

I feel like racism has to come to mean "pointing out differences between population groups" on these forums instead of "belief that one population group is intrinsically superior to another". This is annoying, just like "tolerance" as come to interpreted as "acceptance".

Why did you wonder this in the first place? Why do you care? How are you going to explain it?

Perhaps you observed a pattern in the real world and wanted to test it?

In other news, it's going to be exciting in a couple of million/hundreds of millions of years when we've got all kinds of interesting branchings of the human race.

Daxon on
  • Options
    Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure everyone can agree Empire Strikes Back was the best Star Wars film.

Jedi.

horrible

no

go in the corner

Most of the stuff on the surface of the forest moon was bad, but the rest is really good. I'd say it's at least as good as empire.

I liked the part where all the ewoks die

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

They can't.

Damn. Thanks nerd, for breaking my dreams.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    any time, preacher

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

They can't.

Man that's some bullshit right there yo

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I would think not since I don't think you can stick with a party while they're playing a game you don't have, for example

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Empire was the best.

There is no contest.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i actually don't care at all, and don't really believe that there's any significant genetic difference in cross-racial intelligence.

i just didn't like what i saw as the smug self-congratulatory sophistry being trotted out as an enlightened liberal viewpoint regarding "racism" or "sexism" or whatever else. it stank to me.

now, i do think that there are probably some general cross-gender behavioral tendencies, which i guess is what was originally being talked about before this racial thing became the focus.

As a self-proclaimed enlightened leftist, I don't care particularly much about the exact reasons as to why men and woman might be different, or blacks and whites.

I do, however, care a great deal about how people perceive these differences and use them as an excuse to treat those they view as innately different or inferior with disrespect.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, I just finished a math class and you guys are still talking about something!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

They can't.

Its ok, if your headset is anything like mine your wife can just talk into the mike, though I guess that would make it hard to hear me responding... Fuck.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Man, I just finished a math class and you guys are still talking about something!

They're certainly talking about something alright.

japan on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Empire was the best.

There is no contest.

Your opinion is correct.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Will, nobody here is claiming that groups don't tend to have genetic trends. The problem is that there are plenty of other, greater influences on what makes a person who they are, and automatically judging someone based on the color of their skin without taking into account any other factor is, in fact racist.

If you meet a black person who is not exceptionally bright, you would be racist to assume it's because of a genetic marker present in all black people. Maybe their family wasn't involved in their education! Maybe school just didn't catch their interest! Maybe it was a crappy school! WHO KNOWS.

well, i absolutely agree with this.

in fact, this was my position from page 1.

my position has always been that consideration of the possibility of cross-race genetic differences was not, in of itself, racist.

whereas feral's position was that this was racist in the context of black people and IQ tests.

Actually, it kind of is. Because then you have to scramble to explain those differences.

I dare you to find a way to explain them that isn't A) racist and B) doesn't invoke social factors, which invalidates the first point.

consideration of a possibility doesn't connote to me any more a burden to explain than the assertions of test bias or whatever else, and i don't really think it necessarily imputes racism.

So lets say you consider the possibility, and as daxon said, you noticed that african americans perform worse on tests of mathematical aptitude than non african americans. Your first impulse is to test the genetics and not the social factors that placed them there?

Seems a bit like you aren't really paying a lot of attention.

Maybe racist isn't the word, but it is definitely a misappropriation of the situation.

But then you are going to say "but now you are ignoring genetics blah blah"

No. The point is that you have to eliminate all other factors before you can ascribe behavior strictly to genetics, and in the context of all the things we describe, that is just not possible.

Arch on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

They can't.

Its ok, if your headset is anything like mine your wife can just talk into the mike, though I guess that would make it hard to hear me responding... Fuck.

related to that, is there any way to crank up the sound of people speaking? I can't hear leitner beyond a very very queit whisper

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Will just wants to prove that antisocial geeks are genetically inferior

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Empire was the best.

There is no contest.

I never got the boner for empire that others have. I prefered RoTJ or even New Hope over it, though I do like Two Towers the best of the LOTR movies.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    japan wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »

They're certainly talking about something alright.

What is with this place and talking about something.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Will, what makes me even more mad than this whole debate is the fact that it is even happening in the first place. Why do you give a shit if it's genetic? What does this prove about black people if it is? What would that mean we should do with them? Should we start treating them differently?

I'm arguing from my perspective because I know that there are plenty of factors that make up a person, that race as viewed by society is largely a rigid construct that's in reality very fluid, and I know from history and from personal experience how people are treated when a perceived innate racial flaw is assumed to be the predominant makeup of their being, and I believe that all people deserve to be treated with respect. Why do you care?

Yeah, I agree here.

Will I don't think there's really that much disagreement going on, as I think Feral was specifically referring to one instance where the evidence so thin and the concept so implausible that asking the question really is pretty racist in that specific instance.

Whereas on the other hand I'm pretty inclined to believe that there are differences in behavior between men and women that are biological in origin. But that's based on some pretty good empirical evidence (please ignore the crap published in popular magazines), and the conceptual underpinning that such a thing not being true would make us literally the only mammalian species on earth without some sex-differentiated behaviors.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    See you can join parties now though without playing the same game, so you'd think it would work.

We can test it out and see. She's got an account, it's just not on gold because she never plays online.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »

related to that, is there any way to crank up the sound of people speaking? I can't hear leitner beyond a very very queit whisper

I think he just talks quiet, I swear when I played with him it as like I as in church.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I guess my point is that, as someone who is intensely concerned with evolution, and whose driving question is "how did this trait arise?", I can't seem to come up with any sort of logical reason that, say, a woman, or an asian would do better or worse at something like math without invoking some sort of outside influence that precludes a genetic explanation.

in fairness, sickle cell anemia was noted to be common in people of north-african descent long before the causal vector was established.

it strikes me that you're holding a much higher bar for considerations of genetic differences than you are socio-economic or cultural causes, which you generally heartily endorse with naught but a handwave.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why are people still talking about some shitty outdated scifi movies from the 70's and 80s?

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    See you can join parties now though without playing the same game, so you'd think it would work.

We can test it out and see. She's got an account, it's just not on gold because she never plays online.

oh you can?

Well then it might just work

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I liked the part where all the ewoks die

Oh my.

Gim on
This discussion has been closed.