As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] you, George Lucas!

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    When is Microsoft going to up the bandwidth afforded to voice communication like they said they were. The quality is utter shit, like I'm talking to somebody over a dial-up connection on my computer from 1995.

Sarksus on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The thing you seem to miss, Will, is that genetics are the last line of explanation for behavior in humans, and it isn't just because we don't like the idea.

Testing the genetic basis of a behavior is so phenomenally diffusion that it might as well be impossible right now.

Most of the people who work in these sciences have long accepted that, so when someone comes in and wants to test the genetic difference in performance between two groups, eyebrows get raised.

Arch on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fartacus wrote: »
    Will I don't think there's really that much disagreement going on, as I think Feral was specifically referring to one instance where the evidence so thin and the concept so implausible that asking the question really is pretty racist in that specific instance.

I wasn't even talking about asking the question "is there a genetic correlation between skin color and general intelligence?" I was talking about making the assertion that differences in IQ test scores is evidence of genetic inferiority.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    I guess my point is that, as someone who is intensely concerned with evolution, and whose driving question is "how did this trait arise?", I can't seem to come up with any sort of logical reason that, say, a woman, or an asian would do better or worse at something like math without invoking some sort of outside influence that precludes a genetic explanation.

in fairness, sickle cell anemia was noted to be common in people of north-african descent long before the causal vector was established.

it strikes me that you're holding a much higher bar for considerations of genetic differences than you are socio-economic or cultural causes, which you generally heartily endorse with naught but a handwave.

It's probably because his job is to scrutinize biological factors very strictly while social factors are somebody else's field entirely

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The thing you seem to miss, Will, is that genetics are the last line of explanation for behavior in humans, and it isn't just because we don't like the idea.

Testing the genetic basis of a behavior is so phenomenally diffusion that it might as well be impossible right now.

Most of the people who work in these sciences have long accepted that, so when someone comes in and wants to test the genetic difference in performance between two groups, eyebrows get raised.

love your av/title/location by the way

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Total bullshit, every fat person I know claims its genetic. Ex proctor mcdonaldsstratum.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gim wrote: »
    I liked the part where all the ewoks die

Oh my.

This is amazing.

Sarksus on
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    Will just wants to prove that antisocial geeks are genetically inferior

on board with this tbh

Fartacus on
    edited September 2010
    man come on everyone knows that white people are better

oh science you so wacky

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I guess my point is that, as someone who is intensely concerned with evolution, and whose driving question is "how did this trait arise?", I can't seem to come up with any sort of logical reason that, say, a woman, or an asian would do better or worse at something like math without invoking some sort of outside influence that precludes a genetic explanation.

in fairness, sickle cell anemia was noted to be common in people of north-african descent long before the causal vector was established.

it strikes me that you're holding a much higher bar for considerations of genetic differences than you are socio-economic or cultural causes, which you generally heartily endorse with naught but a handwave.

Yes I am! Because it is phenomenally difficult to accurately pin these behaviors to genetics alone. And if you DO pin it to genetics, then you have to explain WHY IT IS GENETICALLY BASED!

With sickle cell this is easy! Sickle cell confers a selective advantage in the african population!

But how do you explain it if you found that african americans have genetically-linked poor academic performance?

Arch on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    consideration of a possibility doesn't connote to me any more a burden to explain than the assertions of test bias or whatever else, and i don't really think it necessarily imputes racism.

So lets say you consider the possibility, and as daxon said, you noticed that african americans perform worse on tests of mathematical aptitude than non african americans. Your first impulse is to test the genetics and not the social factors that placed them there?

Seems a bit like you aren't really paying a lot of attention.

Maybe racist isn't the word, but it is definitely a misappropriation of the situation.

But then you are going to say "but now you are ignoring genetics blah blah"

No. The point is that you have to eliminate all other factors before you can ascribe behavior strictly to genetics, and in the context of all the things we describe, that is just not possible.

why are you assuming that i would discount the socio-economic or other factors? i never even implied that. i'm simply arguing that from an agnostic standpoint, genetics should be regarded as a causal explanantion co-equal in plausibility to social factors, nutrition, test bias, or whatever else. that discounting the possibility out of hand is not good science.

and that consideration of genetics as a causal possibility is not racist in and of itself.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Man, I just finished a math class and you guys are still talking about something!

They're certainly talking about something alright.

What is with this place and talking about something.

I know right.

I tend to maintain a detached disinterest in things.

japan on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    When is Microsoft going to up the bandwidth afforded to voice communication like they said they were. The quality is utter shit, like I'm talking to somebody over a dial-up connection on my computer from 1995.

XBL voice sounds just like Roger Wilco from ten years ago.

But actually, they are upping it. New voice codec is being pushed with the fall dashboard update.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

on board with this tbh

Lies! ASPIES ARE THE FUTUREPEOPLE

(I am not really autistic btw)

(just kinda retarded)

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
    edited September 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »

But actually, they are upping it. New voice codec is being pushed with the fall dashboard update.

If you like Microsoft so much why don't you marry them?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010
    god, [chat], always with the talking!

about things!

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gim wrote: »
    I liked the part where all the ewoks die

Oh my.

This is amazing.

It reminds me of a conversation I had on another board about the end of 2012. Sure, those people are still alive, but there is no chance humanity will last after all that drastic flooding. They all have looks of hope, yet they'll be eating each other inside of a decade.

Gim on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

maybe I will

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arch explain why ducks have barbed orange penises but geese don't.

GENETICS

Ludious on
    edited September 2010

maybe I will

Oh good, can you get me a game discount and like a live discount?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010
    why are you assuming that i would discount the socio-economic or other factors? i never even implied that. i'm simply arguing that from an agnostic standpoint, genetics should be regarded as a co-equal causal explanantion as social factors, nutrition, test bias, or whatever else.

and that consideration of genetics as a causal possibility is not racist in and of itself.

Well if there are other factors at work, genetics is sort of a moot point, until it's the future and everyone is genetically perfect anyway.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
    edited September 2010

Because the courts in the US haven't let corporate personhood get that far yet.

japan on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor on
    edited September 2010
    Arch explain why ducks have barbed orange penises but geese don't.

GENETICS

You don't know anything about water fowl sexual organs. You actually know less about water fowl sexual organs then you do east german ballet dancers, and I'll be honest I didn't think that was possible.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010

i believe that there are markers for endocrine disorders and bad skin

the autism-spectrum is all due to too much vaccinations.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010

God knows with as often as I've gotten fucked by a corporation the least they could do is buy the cow.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010
    Will: Genetics are not necessarily co-equal. Occam's razor doesn't cut that way

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited September 2010

*Slow Clap*

Bravo.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010

It's like a rainbow of awkwardness.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

*Slow Clap*

is there any other clap from you?

Ludious on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Okay, so no party chat for xbox live silver members.

Anyone got a free trial card or one month card lying around they're not using?

I'll give you internet sex*
    *internet sex is not actually sex of any kind whatsoever, just [chat]

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This Jen Eddix chick sounds like a real jerk.

emnmnme on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Empire was the best.

There is no contest.

Empire is clearly the worst.

Medieval was the best.

Until Shogun II, of course.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »

awesome

Winky needs to do this

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited September 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Will I don't think there's really that much disagreement going on, as I think Feral was specifically referring to one instance where the evidence so thin and the concept so implausible that asking the question really is pretty racist in that specific instance.

I wasn't even talking about asking the question "is there a genetic correlation between skin color and general intelligence?" I was talking about making the assertion that differences in IQ test scores is evidence of genetic inferiority.

i had previously missed where you used the term "genetic inferiority" in your post. and yeah, trying to use some sort of basis to establish non-categorical superiority and inferiority would be racist pretty much by definition.

i do think the term gets stretched kind of far in many contexts, though.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010

God knows with as often as I've gotten fucked by a corporation the least they could do is buy the cow.

As weird as it sounds I can actually see the US permitting marriage between a person and a corporation with less fuss than gay marriage. They'd probably get polygamy in there too lest it be deemed unfair to all the people that would probably try to marry Nike given half a chance.

japan on
    edited September 2010

I do, actually

dunno if they still work or anything

I can check

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Just have her create a new Xbox Live ID? You get a free month of Live Gold with a new ID now, if I remember the situation right.

LaOs on
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Listen all I know is that I can't wait until we get rid of white people

Remember not to have white children, everybody

Fartacus on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wait a second, LoL is free? Why was I not informed?

Gim on
This discussion has been closed.