As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] you, George Lucas!

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    When is Microsoft going to up the bandwidth afforded to voice communication like they said they were. The quality is utter shit, like I'm talking to somebody over a dial-up connection on my computer from 1995.

XBL voice sounds just like Roger Wilco from ten years ago.

But actually, they are upping it. New voice codec is being pushed with the fall dashboard update.

If you like Microsoft so much why don't you marry them?

maybe I will

Oh good, can you get me a game discount and like a live discount?

hook me up with more princess peach burlesque and we'll see if we can work something out.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Empire was the best.

There is no contest.

Empire is clearly the worst.

Medieval was the best.

Until Shogun II, of course.

Shogun 1 is still the best, sorry.

Inquisitor on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Will just wants to prove that antisocial geeks are genetically inferior

i believe that there are markers for endocrine disorders and bad skin

the autism-spectrum is all due to too much vaccinations.

*Slow Clap*

is there any other clap from you?

Did you see my 50 yard touchdown run? Man that other team couldn't stop me if they tried!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Empire was the best.

There is no contest.

Medieval was the best.

Medieval 4 lyfe

which reminds me, I haven't tried installing it on this PC yet

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gim wrote: »
    Wait a second, LoL is free? Why was I not informed?

It is.

You are now informed.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited September 2010

Dude I've been whoring this game out non-stop. It's free! GO GET IT.

Inquisitor on
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Wait seriously?

Holy shit it is free. Guess I know what I'm doing after I get home.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Played my first practice match in LoL. The item UI gives me a headache. Is there a faster way than scrolling through all those giant menus?

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
    edited September 2010
    LaOs wrote: »
    Okay, so no party chat for xbox live silver members.

Anyone got a free trial card or one month card lying around they're not using?

I'll give you internet sex*
    *internet sex is not actually sex of any kind whatsoever, just [chat]

Just have her create a new Xbox Live ID? You get a free month of Live Gold with a new ID now, if I remember the situation right.

you've always done that but can you do that without the starter pack now?

anyway, seriously, I got cards, it would be no hassle

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    When is Microsoft going to up the bandwidth afforded to voice communication like they said they were. The quality is utter shit, like I'm talking to somebody over a dial-up connection on my computer from 1995.

XBL voice sounds just like Roger Wilco from ten years ago.

But actually, they are upping it. New voice codec is being pushed with the fall dashboard update.

If you like Microsoft so much why don't you marry them?

maybe I will

Oh good, can you get me a game discount and like a live discount?

hook me up with more princess peach burlesque and we'll see if we can work something out.

o_O:? :?::winky:

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    I guess my point is that, as someone who is intensely concerned with evolution, and whose driving question is "how did this trait arise?", I can't seem to come up with any sort of logical reason that, say, a woman, or an asian would do better or worse at something like math without invoking some sort of outside influence that precludes a genetic explanation.

in fairness, sickle cell anemia was noted to be common in people of north-african descent long before the causal vector was established.

it strikes me that you're holding a much higher bar for considerations of genetic differences than you are socio-economic or cultural causes, which you generally heartily endorse with naught but a handwave.

Yes I am! Because it is phenomenally difficult to accurately pin these behaviors to genetics alone. And if you DO pin it to genetics, then you have to explain WHY IT IS GENETICALLY BASED!

With sickle cell this is easy! Sickle cell confers a selective advantage in the african population!

But how do you explain it if you found that african americans have genetically-linked poor academic performance?

[devil's advocate]
    The obvious answer is that poor academic performance would be a by-product of a complexly related aspect that was selected for.
    [/devil's advocate]

Winky on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Empire was the best.

There is no contest.

Medieval was the best.

Shogun 1 is still the best, sorry.

Eeehh... it's pretty sweet... but Medieval, man... Medieval.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    edited September 2010

Looks like the wife is dressing up and then dressing out of a princess peach costume...

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fartacus wrote: »
    Listen all I know is that I can't wait until we get rid of white people

Remember not to have white children, everybody

Cracker babies are the cutest, what with their tiny hands grasping at the Ritz package, gumming the round edges and licking at the lite salt topping. Adorable.

emnmnme on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    abd I would be your best friend man.

I'd craft your mine holes

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
    edited September 2010
    OremLK wrote: »
    Played my first practice match in LoL. The item UI gives me a headache. Is there a faster way than scrolling through all those giant menus?

I dunno, you learn the menus pretty fast. Remember if you are upgrading to an item you can click on one of the base items and click on an upgrade from there.

I dunno if there are any shortcuts but I am still pretty new to the game.

Inquisitor on
    edited September 2010

Wait seriously?

Holy shit it is free. Guess I know what I'm doing after I get home.

fresh blood!

I am so tired tho.

I feel like napping

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Empire was the best.

There is no contest.

Medieval was the best.

Medieval 4 lyfe

which reminds me, I haven't tried installing it on this PC yet

I had all sorts of trouble with it that I thought was Windows 7-based, but turned out to be AVG Anti-Virus-based.

Chanus on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    I guess my point is that, as someone who is intensely concerned with evolution, and whose driving question is "how did this trait arise?", I can't seem to come up with any sort of logical reason that, say, a woman, or an asian would do better or worse at something like math without invoking some sort of outside influence that precludes a genetic explanation.

in fairness, sickle cell anemia was noted to be common in people of north-african descent long before the causal vector was established.

it strikes me that you're holding a much higher bar for considerations of genetic differences than you are socio-economic or cultural causes, which you generally heartily endorse with naught but a handwave.

Yes I am! Because it is phenomenally difficult to accurately pin these behaviors to genetics alone. And if you DO pin it to genetics, then you have to explain WHY IT IS GENETICALLY BASED!

With sickle cell this is easy! Sickle cell confers a selective advantage in the african population!

But how do you explain it if you found that african americans have genetically-linked poor academic performance?

there are certainly genetic maladaptions and chaff. i don't subscribe to it, but the argument that some anthropologists made was that a lack of scarcity and hardship in some environments selected away from some sorts of visualization or problem-solving skills.

i certainly don't know enough about prehistoric societies, and maybe no one does, but in any case establishment of a genetic link doesn't necessarily require a complete understanding of every environmentally causal factor.

i mean, i don't really know why east asian people have epicanthal folds, but they do!

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    LaOs wrote: »
    Okay, so no party chat for xbox live silver members.

Anyone got a free trial card or one month card lying around they're not using?

I'll give you internet sex*
    *internet sex is not actually sex of any kind whatsoever, just [chat]

Just have her create a new Xbox Live ID? You get a free month of Live Gold with a new ID now, if I remember the situation right.

you've always done that but can you do that without the starter pack now?

anyway, seriously, I got cards, it would be no hassle

Pretty sure you can.

I played Modern Warfare on my roomie's fiance's Xbox when I was living with them, and had no XBox of my own. He had Gold on his account, and I signed up my Live ID and bam! I had Gold free for a month.

My buddy is in Toronto doing contract work right now. He didn't expect to be out there for the extended time he's going to be out there for (and is really fucking bored). He bought another Xbox to play out there and signed up a new Live ID and has been playing Red Dead with us back in town no problemo.

LaOs on
    edited September 2010
    Elldren wrote: »

awesome

Winky needs to do this

How is he doing that? Does it have to do with his items?

Winky on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hope they put one of those new Gold dispensing ATM's on the street so that it gets robbed like day one

amateurhour on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OremLK wrote: »

I dunno, you learn the menus pretty fast. Remember if you are upgrading to an item you can click on one of the base items and click on an upgrade from there.

I dunno if there are any shortcuts but I am still pretty new to the game.

Oh, cool. I will hunt for more tips and tricks.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I mean, I don't see how people don't mentally check themselves when they hear the statement "African Americans are genetically worse at this action than another group"*.

Even if we can prove that, how are people not a bit worried about the implications of that sentence?

*fix for whatever group you want, the analogies holds

Even if you frame it as "X group performs better than Y at Z task," the sentence still says the same thing if you write it as "Y is not as good at Z as X".

Which is then a statement of inferiority or superiority.

And yes, maybe simply asking the question isn't inherently racist, but if you got to that answer what then? And additionally, it is still (and I will maintain this ad nauseum) so difficult to pin it down to genetics that why even bother; it is much easier to address the societal basis of this discrepancy.

Arch on
    edited September 2010
    Winky wrote: »

Items + ressurection speed buff + speed buffs from multiple champions + the ramping up speed buff of Rammus' spin. I think the res speed buff may be gone now, or lessened, not sure, but there are other champs that can give speed buffs now too.

Inquisitor on
    edited September 2010
    So, I'm totally going to get sucked into the LoL thing, huh?

Like permanently free or trial-free?

God damned free (and >10€, as I'll apparently pay that) games.

Chanus on
    edited September 2010

awesome

Winky needs to do this

he is stacking speed boosts

all of them

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited September 2010
    11/12 servers complete

amateurhour on
    edited September 2010

permanently

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited September 2010
    11/12 servers complete

When this finishes we all die. Just thought I'd tell everyone that.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    I mean, I don't see how people don't mentally check themselves when they hear the statement "African Americans are genetically worse at this action than another group"*.

Even if we can prove that, how are people not a bit worried about the implications of that sentence?

Even if you frame it as "X group performs better than Y at Z task," the sentence still says the same thing if you write it as "Y is not as good at Z as X".

And yes, maybe simply asking the question isn't inherently racist, but if you got to that answer what then? And additionally, it is still (and I will maintain this ad nauseum) so difficult to pin it down to genetics that why even bother; it is much easier to address the societal basis of this discrepancy.

holy shit those kenyans are winning all the marathons

it sure seems like they are good at running

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

[devil's advocate]
    The obvious answer is that poor academic performance would be a by-product of a complexly related aspect that was selected for.
    [/devil's advocate]

But then, like sickle-cell, it isn't a race thing so much as it is a coincidence.

and I seriously doubt this is the case

Arch on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Inqi! LoL?

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited September 2010
    I have one month and six days worth of gold membership cards that I was able to find

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2010

permanently

damnit

Okay, I'll check it out tonight.

Chanus on
    edited September 2010

A long time ago I made the conscious decision that I would never attempt to shield myself from the truth for that reason.

But I don't disagree with the following assertion, but I will say that I don't think it will stay that way forever. Once we understand a lot more about the way the brain works, the way that genetics interact with behavior, etc, these are questions that will have to come up.

Winky on
    edited September 2010

It's permanently free. Basically, every week they give you a different set of free champions. You can play these guys as much as you'd like. If you'd like to have a champion permanently unlocked you can buy them in one of two ways. You can buy them via influence points which you accrue by playing the game or you can buy them with riot points which you purchase with money.

The only thing you can purchase with only money is extra costumes for champions, but those are obviously purely cosmetic.

Inquisitor on
    edited September 2010
    my little girl likes playing with her dollies and my little boy prefers playing with his legos. i wonder if there's a reason?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010
    I am taking a nap

when I wake up I expect to LoL with like a dozen new people

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Inqi! LoL?
    Alternatively...

Inqi? LoL!

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
This discussion has been closed.