As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] you, George Lucas!

• Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Those awkward silences are interesting. Because they're not awkward to me.

But we've already established that robots have no emotions, so obviously they're not awkward.

Entirely untrue. Have you not seen the modern Citizen Kane that is Robin William's Bicentennial Man?

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Legos or Lego blocks. You decide!

I go for the latter. "Legos" just sounds weird to me - was it a marketing term in the US back in the day?

I use "lego" as the plural. As in I say "a lot of lego" not "many lego(s)"

and "a block" when talking about a block, as in I need another block

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Sorry- I think you missed the point I made earlier.

Sickle cell being more prominent along traditional race lines is more of a coincidence of geography than of anything inherent to the genetic makeup of african americans

well, except that malaria is common in warm, sunny areas. that's the causal link.

why do so many east asians have black hair and fairly flat noses and epicanthal folds, arch?

is it fair for me to largely characterize east asians as having black hair and flat noses and epicanthal folds?

and maybe assume it has something to do with genetics

even though i don't know the specific environmental causes of these things?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    One more for 5v5 LoL all [chat] team!

Inquisitor on
    edited September 2010
    Preacher you and I are giving new meaning to the term "hard drive."

hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Okay, so we've got this legacy laptop that's suddenly been locked out on all accounts. It's got some admin password that's not our standard, and there's no way into it so far.

This is totally "my boss approved this" and I was wondering if there's any good backdoor tools that can run from boot that might get us logged in?

There's some data on it that really needs to be recovered.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    But then, like sickle-cell, it isn't a race thing so much as it is a coincidence.

and I seriously doubt this is the case

Sickle-cell isn't a coincidence, though, like you said it was selected for!

The dumb thing that people do is try to assume that our own cultural values for "superiority" or "inferiority" have anything to do with selective fitness, or that metrics by which we rate people today correspond to actual physical and mental capabilities.

Hell, it's not even out of the question that there would be a selective pressure for people to be stupider, and it is certainly not out of the question that people could be selected for mental aspects that just happen to make you do worse on standardized tests.

Sickle cell being more prominent along traditional race lines is more of a coincidence of geography than of anything inherent to the genetic makeup of african americans

Oh, I don't disagree then. But I'm saying that poor test scores could coincidentally fall along traditional race lines in the same way sickle cell does.

Winky on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    gj will

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Speaking of being married, I never posted any pics of ours (except the wedding cake)
    59503_430472041559_711176559_5805535_6583581_n.jpg

BobCesca on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

I go for the latter. "Legos" just sounds weird to me - was it a marketing term in the US back in the day?

We tend to eschew common sense and come up with our own names for things.

Like pronouncing nuclear "nuke-you-lar".

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Well after the recent conversation topics at most I've got a soft drive.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    will is giving chat a little personality test

voightkampfftest.png

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Okay, so we've got this legacy laptop that's suddenly been locked out on all accounts. It's got some admin password that's not our standard, and there's no way into it so far.

This is totally "my boss approved this" and I was wondering if there's any good backdoor tools that can run from boot that might get us logged in?

If you end up not finding anything you should be able to boot into a live version of Linux and see all of that data as Linux doesn't give a fuck about your Windows permissions.

Sarksus on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    I can never tell when you're trolling anymore, Will. I think it must be a function of [chat]; like how Thanatos rose to meet the perception that he hates everything, you've become some sort of arch-oldguy. Forever yelling at those damn kids to get off your lawn, not really sure if you're championing gender essentialism out of genuine belief or just to stick it to these long-haired hippie fags.

it's mostly out of pique at the echo chamber this place becomes at times.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

moar like a 1/4" floppy m i rite

heyoooooooo

nexuscrawler on
    edited September 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    will is giving chat a little personality test

voightkampfftest.png

But if Will's a replicant there's no way he'll be able to tell if we pass!

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hate you all

except gim

:D
    Gim actually said he dislikes the new york jets earlier. He said he'll personally feed Ryan the fatal meatball nachos.

Those last three words mean something. They have to. Scholars in a more advanced age may be able to figure them out.
    Gim wrote: »
    This game is a delightfully small download. Huzzah!

I'll take things that women tell gim after sex Alex.

Hah!

Gim on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

well, except that malaria is common in warm, sunny areas. that's the causal link.

why do so many east asians have black hair and fairly flat noses and epicanthal folds, arch?

is it fair for me to largely characterize east asians as having black hair and flat noses and epicanthal folds?

I think the only theory I've heard about epicanthal folds has to do with protecting your eyes from the sun. Flat noses has to do with the heat of the air you're breathing in (pointed noses have narrower nostrils that warm the air more).

It's not wrong to look at genetic differences between people, but what's wrong is to demarcate "races" based off of groupings of visible genetic traits because many genetic traits aren't visible.

Winky on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I troll less than will and I don't hate the fanbase of this forum

LUDIOUS FOR MOD 2010

Ludious on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

yes will that is literally what I just said, or at least what I implied

Arch on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

This sounds similar to my H/A thread about a laptop, except that wiping it completely was an option for me, so just using a Windows restore disc to wipe it solved my problem.

What i mean to say is, I don't know.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

If you end up not finding anything you should be able to boot into a live version of Linux and see all of that data as Linux doesn't give a fuck about your Windows permissions.

I think the machine has encryption though, so that might nuke that possibility.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
    edited September 2010

heyoooooooo

Yes :( thank you for reminding me I have a small penis that does not get hard nexus.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Speaking of being married, I never posted any pics of ours (except the wedding cake)
    59503_430472041559_711176559_5805535_6583581_n.jpg

it's a pretty dress, bob. you look so happy.

the kilt wierds me out a little because i'm an american, but i know it's what you scotlanders do.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010
    I can never tell when you're trolling anymore, Will. I think it must be a function of [chat]; like how Thanatos rose to meet the perception that he hates everything, you've become some sort of arch-oldguy. Forever yelling at those damn kids to get off your lawn, not really sure if you're championing gender essentialism out of genuine belief or just to stick it to these long-haired hippie fags.

it's mostly out of pique at the echo chamber this place becomes at times.

Does any group of like-minded individuals become an echo chamber? Are friends just an echo chamber? Friends ought to share something in common with one another, does that create an echo chamber? We do not agree on everything in this place, anyway.

Sarksus on
    edited September 2010
    ah, I'm expecting some sexual favours in return from this

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »

So Norway and NZ are agreed on this matter.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

heyoooooooo

Yes :( thank you for reminding me I have a small penis that does not get hard nexus.

I got an SSD all the way

nexuscrawler on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    That looks great, Bob.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited September 2010

I think the only theory I've heard about epicanthal folds has to do with protecting your eyes from the sun. Flat noses has to do with the heat of the air you're breathing in (pointed noses have narrower nostrils that warm the air more).

It's not wrong to look at genetic differences between people, but what's wrong is to demarcate "races" based off of groupings of visible genetic traits because many genetic traits aren't visible.

And then if you build off of the already faulty second assumption Winky just said, and extend it to behaviors in a social environment...

I begin to wonder what you are really trying to say with your study

Arch on
    edited September 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »

So Norway and NZ are agreed on this matter.

fjord five

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2010
    Ludious wrote: »

LUDIOUS FOR MOD 2010

A vote for Will is a vote for grumpy old men harrumphing at the youth of today and their trousers

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Nexus, my dawg, you should get your work to buy a new OCZ IBIS SSD and then lose it in the mail addressed to me.

Sarksus on
    edited September 2010
    Gim Rex Ryan coaches the jets, he is a rather large man, large men have heart attacks because of poor eating. Ryan being from the northeast would not just eat regular nachos, he would eat some horrifically awful new combination, and thus Meatball Nachos were born.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010

yeah

Arch on
    edited September 2010

yes will that is literally what I just said, or at least what I implied

what about the east asian slanty eyes thing?

i'm interested in how that fits into your position on racism.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Pull the HD and either use a 2.5->3.5 IDE adapter or put it in a USB enclosure.

Alternatively there is a boot disk floating around that can be used to reset the password for any account to be blank. I don't really want to link it, but it isn't difficult to find.

japan on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Maybe it is the new hipster thing to do.

Couscous on
    edited September 2010
    From now on I'm going to read all of Will's posts in my head like the two-headed councilman from the Venture Bros.

"I'm old and convinced the streets are roamed by teenage gangs."

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ludious wrote: »

LUDIOUS FOR MOD 2010

I'll vote for you provided I'm allowed to start a thread entitled 'Sex Butt' without fear of infraction.

emnmnme on
This discussion has been closed.