As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] you, George Lucas!

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I got an SSD all the way

Super Small Dick? Nexus you should have thought that acronym through for backronym permutations.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can never tell when you're trolling anymore, Will. I think it must be a function of [chat]; like how Thanatos rose to meet the perception that he hates everything, you've become some sort of arch-oldguy. Forever yelling at those damn kids to get off your lawn, not really sure if you're championing gender essentialism out of genuine belief or just to stick it to these long-haired hippie fags.

It's funny. Outside of the forum context Than is the nicest person

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

i mean, i don't really know why east asian people have epicanthal folds, but they do!

Well this one is a sort of catch-22 because having epicanthal folds is part of what defines you as Asian. I mean, there are plenty of people on the continent of Asia who don't have epicanthal folds, and we generally don't call them Asian.

That's sort of the point, right? There very probably are genetic markers related to intelligence but the variation in evolutionary history and environments within the ambiguous categories that are "black" and "white" make it seem pretty unlikely that there would be broad cross-racial differences.

Even moreso because, whereas sickle-cell is a trait that is a clear response to a single environmental pressure (malaria), cognitive ability relates to a tremendous variety of environmental pressures, so you would have to have broadly distinct environments (broad as in things like environments of scarcity and environments of abundance) for there to plausibly be much of a difference.

Fartacus on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Gim Rex Ryan coaches the jets, he is a rather large man, large men have heart attacks because of poor eating. Ryan being from the northeast would not just eat regular nachos, he would eat some horrifically awful new combination, and thus Meatball Nachos were born.

I'd deep-fry 'em, too.

Gim on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've got a confession to make

I'm a hipster

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    I troll less than will and I don't hate the fanbase of this forum

LUDIOUS FOR MOD 2010

I'll vote for you provided I'm allowed to start a thread entitled 'Sex Butt' without fear of infraction.

depends on what what is in the butt

Ludious on
    edited September 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    I can never tell when you're trolling anymore, Will. I think it must be a function of [chat]; like how Thanatos rose to meet the perception that he hates everything, you've become some sort of arch-oldguy. Forever yelling at those damn kids to get off your lawn, not really sure if you're championing gender essentialism out of genuine belief or just to stick it to these long-haired hippie fags.

It's funny. Outside of the forum context Than is the nicest person

No he's not, outside of the forums he's still thanatos.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

it's mostly out of pique at the echo chamber this place becomes at times.

Does any group of like-minded individuals become an echo chamber? Are friends just an echo chamber? Friends ought to share something in common with one another, does that create an echo chamber? We do not agree on everything in this place, anyway.

they can but don't always.

but it always bothers me, especially when i basically agree with the consensus. it makes me feel like an uncritical asshole within a self-reinforcing circle.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Speaking of being married, I never posted any pics of ours (except the wedding cake)
    59503_430472041559_711176559_5805535_6583581_n.jpg

:3

desc on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I could tell I'd become middle-aged when I realised that I no longer saw "young people" and instead saw "youths".

japan on
    edited September 2010
    Gim wrote: »
    Gim Rex Ryan coaches the jets, he is a rather large man, large men have heart attacks because of poor eating. Ryan being from the northeast would not just eat regular nachos, he would eat some horrifically awful new combination, and thus Meatball Nachos were born.

I'd deep-fry 'em, too.

We should team up and serve food that no sensible person would eat, and sell it to fat people because sensibility has long sense left them. We could call our restaurant "Fuck It I'm Fat." It'd be ironic and shit.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

it's mostly out of pique at the echo chamber this place becomes at times.

Does any group of like-minded individuals become an echo chamber? Are friends just an echo chamber? Friends ought to share something in common with one another, does that create an echo chamber? We do not agree on everything in this place, anyway.

they can but don't always.

but it always bothers me, especially when i basically agree with the consensus. it makes me feel like an uncritical asshole within a self-reinforcing circle.

At times the group has simply found the correct answer.

Sarksus on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Legos or Lego blocks. You decide!

I go for the latter. "Legos" just sounds weird to me - was it a marketing term in the US back in the day?

I use "lego" as the plural. As in I say "a lot of lego" not "many lego(s)"

and "a block" when talking about a block, as in I need another block

So Norway and NZ are agreed on this matter.

fjord five

fiordland.jpg&t=1

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Sorry- I think you missed the point I made earlier.

Sickle cell being more prominent along traditional race lines is more of a coincidence of geography than of anything inherent to the genetic makeup of african americans

well, except that malaria is common in warm, sunny areas. that's the causal link.

yes will that is literally what I just said, or at least what I implied

what about the east asian slanty eyes thing?

i'm interested in how that fits into your position on racism.

The same way? The fact that all of these people express a similar phenotype is a function of geography and the migration of their ancestors, and doesn't necessarily say anything about these people?

I mean, you can easily say "this person looks like thiiis, that person looks like thaaat" all day. You can speculate as to why there is this physical diversity.

But when you link this physical diversity to some other trait offhand without considering other factors first (asians are better at math olol) I feel you are being dishonest, because the physical appearance is more of an anomaly than anything else.

I am not choosing my words very carefully here, and expect to get pedant'd, but I don't care, this is the [chat] thread

Arch on
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    japan wrote: »
    I could tell I'd become middle-aged when I realised that I no longer saw "young people" and instead saw "youths".

To be fair I'm 24 and think this way, because in the nonprofit world that's what they call anyone under the age of 20.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
    edited September 2010
    I've got a confession to make

I'm a hipster

Give me your good beer.

...unless you're one of those bad-beer hipsters.

Gim on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Haven't done any LOTROing in a few days. Time to go get rid of some rested xp.

Echo on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

To be fair I'm 24 and think this way, because in the nonprofit world that's what they call anyone under the age of 20.

It's possibly not quite as loaded a term outside of UK tabloid-land.

japan on
    edited September 2010
    desc wrote: »
    Speaking of being married, I never posted any pics of ours (except the wedding cake)

Good photo guys. You look beautiful and sharp (this is still a manly compliment right?), respectively

Kalkino on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    From now on I'm going to read all of Will's posts in my head like the two-headed councilman from the Venture Bros.

"I'm old and convinced the streets are roamed by teenage gangs."

They will make fun of our trousers

nexuscrawler on
    edited September 2010
    Fartacus wrote: »

i mean, i don't really know why east asian people have epicanthal folds, but they do!

Well this one is a sort of catch-22 because having epicanthal folds is part of what defines you as Asian. I mean, there are plenty of people on the continent of Asia who don't have epicanthal folds, and we generally don't call them Asian.

That's sort of the point, right? There very probably are genetic markers related to intelligence but the variation in evolutionary history and environments within the ambiguous categories that are "black" and "white" make it seem pretty unlikely that there would be broad cross-racial differences.

Even moreso because, whereas sickle-cell is a trait that is a clear response to a single environmental pressure (malaria), cognitive ability relates to a tremendous variety of environmental pressures, so you would have to have broadly distinct environments (broad as in things like environments of scarcity and environments of abundance) for their to plausibly be much of a difference.

Fartacus I like you

Arch on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Holy crap, the MacBook Pro can't run this powerpoint presentation using the integrated graphics?

Sarksus on
    edited September 2010

I'd deep-fry 'em, too.

We should team up and serve food that no sensible person would eat, and sell it to fat people because sensibility has long sense left them. We could call our restaurant "Fuck It I'm Fat." It'd be ironic and shit.

We've been beaten to the punch.

It hurts my heart just to look at that page.

Gim on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I'd deep-fry 'em, too.

Step 1. restaurant becomes known as a haven for obesity and bad food,
    Step 2. quietly add XXS size t-shirts to sell to the young, naive, anorexic and fashionable who will be unable to resist the irony lols.

desc on
    edited September 2010

It's possibly not quite as loaded a term outside of UK tabloid-land.

Give him a good dose of broken Britain. That'll learn him good

Kalkino on
    edited September 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Haven't done any LOTROing in a few days. Time to go get rid of some rested xp.

Oh man I fixed a laptop for my fiancee! My fiancee can play with us on

wait are you on landroval

goddamit re roll on brandywine

or maybe we will join you on lolRPdroval

Arch on
    edited September 2010
    I'm trying to think of a society where being dumb would be an advantage.

Or a society that didn't need a class of manual laborers who didn't require much intelligence.

Both seem unlikely.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Oh abdhy- did you say you liked my avatar and title?

someone did

to whoever did

thank you

Arch on
    edited September 2010

They just serve burgers and women in nurse oufits that don't fit (with mirrored floors). We wouldn't bother with that bullshit. It'd just be a pit with ridiculous food.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The eye thing is dust related, not sun, if I remember right.

Galahad on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010

Even moreso because, whereas sickle-cell is a trait that is a clear response to a single environmental pressure (malaria), cognitive ability relates to a tremendous variety of environmental pressures, so you would have to have broadly distinct environments (broad as in things like environments of scarcity and environments of abundance) for their to plausibly be much of a difference.

but there's no really obvious reason why traits like epicanthal folds and flat noses and black hair would be evolutionarily suitable from environments as diverse as korea to thailand. most likely there was either a driving genetic advantage in a region where the mother group was located for a long time (high wind or cold or sun protection or whatever else) or else they were just random but visibly obvious genetic quirks and that early humans in that region wiped out the different-looking human groups because we're kind of xenophobic like that, especially in times of scarcity.

i guess really my point here is that the acceptance of a genetic trait doesn't need to be qualified with a detailed understanding of its environmental origin in the way that arch is demanding.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    desc wrote: »

Good photo guys. You look beautiful and sharp (this is still a manly compliment right?), respectively

yes he does look pointy
    I am suppressing my urge to squeal in delight like some sort of animal :P

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited September 2010
    Here is where I say an opinion that may not sit well with other biologists

Animal models are not very applicable to studies of human behavior, no matter how close to human the model is.

I know it hasn't really come up, but I want to say it now.

Arch on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Slow the fuck down chat

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
    edited September 2010
    I'm trying to think of a society where being dumb would be an advantage.

Or a society that didn't need a class of manual laborers who didn't require much intelligence.

Both seem unlikely.

Alaska.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010

but there's no really obvious reason why traits like epicanthal folds and flat noses and black hair would be evolutionarily suitable from environments as diverse as korea to thailand. most likely there was either a driving genetic advantage in a region where the mother group was located for a long time (high wind or cold or sun protection or whatever else) or else they were just random but visibly obvious genetic quirks and that early humans in that region wiped out the different-looking human groups because we're kind of xenophobic like that, especially in times of scarcity.

i guess really my point here is that the acceptance of a genetic trait doesn't need to be qualified with a detailed understanding of its environmental origin in the way that arch is demanding.

It does if you are trying to ascribe anything more to it than "it exists"

And for things like differences in cognitive ability or abstract aptitudes between geographic groups, you really need a detailed understanding of all the factors involved; you can't just say "it exists"

Arch on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    So, I'm totally going to get sucked into the LoL thing, huh?

Like permanently free or trial-free?

God damned free (and >10€, as I'll apparently pay that) games.

It's permanently free. Basically, every week they give you a different set of free champions. You can play these guys as much as you'd like. If you'd like to have a champion permanently unlocked you can buy them in one of two ways. You can buy them via influence points which you accrue by playing the game or you can buy them with riot points which you purchase with money.

The only thing you can purchase with only money is extra costumes for champions, but those are obviously purely cosmetic.

Ok deja vu or have you posted this exact same post a few times before?

HappylilElf on
    edited September 2010

They just serve burgers and women in nurse oufits that don't fit (with mirrored floors). We wouldn't bother with that bullshit. It'd just be a pit with ridiculous food.

I would go to a restaurant where they served women in nurse outfits.

Especially if they had two buns. :winky:

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
    edited September 2010

We'd serve everything in troughs!

Gim on
    edited September 2010

We'd serve everything in troughs!

YES! Troughs with like a bib that says "I beat anorexia."

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.