As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

(Doodle) All Night Long (NSFW)

• winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mustang wrote: »
    I have to start using traditional medium, so what's the easiest, cheapest way for me to get into paint?
    Like what equipment do I need to make ungodly mistakes on canvas and board?

You'll find it tough to find a cheap and easy way to get into painting. But if you dont mind spending a few hours preparing boards heres my way of doing things.

Go to Bunninngs and buy one of those 3 meter long masonite boards for $32. Get them to cut it up for you (its part of customer service :)). I get around 12 - 15 good sized boards from that. Cheap in comparison to one canvas which is about $10.
    Next you'll need to prime the boards. Get yourself a big tub of white house acrylic paint.
    Give the boards a quick sand before and after painting. Then you're done. Easy but with sanding and drying time it can take a while.

As for paint oil paint tubes may seem expensive compared to acrylic, but i tend to go through my oil paints at a slower rate because i work rather thin and dont need to remix new paint to match colours. odorless solvent is around $20.00, so i try to just go with rfular turps from woolies which is about $5.95.

too much information

winter_combat_knight on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm fleshing out a race of magic type humanoids for a project. They are very ritualistic and wise, value intellect above everything else and revere the elements almost like gods.

What do you guys think? The little blurb I wrote about them is pretty uninspired, but I'm working on it.

cGZCb.jpg

F87 on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    F87 wrote: »
    I'm fleshing out a race of magic type humanoids for a project. They are very ritualistic and wise, value intellect above everything else and revere the elements almost like gods.

What do you guys think? The little blurb I wrote about them is pretty uninspired, but I'm working on it.

cGZCb.jpg

Well... the shapes me think hes wearing a trucker hat. I also think a lot of what you drew feels like surface personality. Like a costume on some white dude. Do some research. Look at various different cultures from around the world. Their fashions feel a lot more substantial than what you have here.

Also, the font for that blurb is rather hard to read!

Wassermelone on
  • UrantiaUrantia regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't usually post my character work here, but anyone got some help before I polish it tomorrow? Crits on the drawing are appreciated, but I didn't have time to fix any of the obvious issues as the assignment is just on rendering- so I probably won't fix drawing crits. Masses of light and shade, however, I will. I know, it's pretty scatter brained, but it got it done in the rush time I had.

cleric.jpg

Urantia on
    Ignore the above.
    edited September 2010
    Well... the shapes me think hes wearing a trucker hat. I also think a lot of what you drew feels like surface personality. Like a costume on some white dude. Do some research. Look at various different cultures from around the world. Their fashions feel a lot more substantial than what you have here.

Also, the font for that blurb is rather hard to read!

Yeah, the font is probably a lot more terrible than I think it is.

I think what you are getting at is the facial structure and features. The way they are shaped and how they work together. I also feel like maybe some of the accessories or features I gave him feel a little tacked on and that is probably hurting it.

Thanks for the advice, Wass. I will try to take it further than some white dude in a costume, because that really isn't what I'm going for. :)

F87 on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Been working on a thing
    aXM9r.png

Projeck on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    F87: Obviously you don't have to go so 'extreme' but theres a lot of look here, and I don't think you need to go so conservative :)
    egyptian_bedouin_woman.jpg
    natural-fashion.jpg
    surma-ethiopie.jpg
    F1000013_medium.jpg
    229158446_7ba26bfce1.jpg
    akha-1.jpg

Wassermelone on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    F87: None of his design elements seem to support the blurb youve got.

Hes very young and scruffy, (youth being an antithesis of wisdom), and in general very scrappy looking. Hes got a stiched up scar on his lip, nicked nose, and a ratty patch on his hat. Skill and finese go well with intelect and wisdom. He has cat-like hunter eyes, which are really more indicitive of a predatory or crafty nature. They arnt wise eyes.
    All in all, this kid is a fighter, through and through.

and yeah, his hat looks like a backwards baseball cap.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • ShizumaruShizumaru Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mustang wrote: »
    I have to start using traditional medium, so what's the easiest, cheapest way for me to get into paint?
    Like what equipment do I need to make ungodly mistakes on canvas and board?

Really no 'cheap' way per se when beginning with an entirely new medium however you can do it with a modest sum. I'm basing my answers assuming you're talking about oil paints, as I don't touch acrylic.

Like WCK mentioned.. For surfaces you can't get any cheaper than hardboard(its masonite essentially, they call it 'hardboard') found at home depot along with basic acrylic gesso. You can have the hardboard cut up in various sizes. If you actually want to paint on canvas it can be more expensive if you buy pre-stretched. If you just want to practice and do little studies however, you can get fairly cheap cotten duck canvas in a large roll which you can then cut and mount to a board.

Brushes add up too.. But you really only need a handful to get started. You'll want an combination of bristles and sables(at this point, synthetic would be best to keep costs down). Robert Simmons Signet bristle brushes are decent for the price and will hold up for awhile.. As far as synthetics go its a bit hit and miss, so I don't necessarily have any recommendations.

As far as paints go, just painting with black and white at first would serve anyone well. But if you do desire to paint with colors you can just as easily get away with a very limited palette. Titanium White, Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Red Light or Vermilion(real vermilions break the bank, and others are just bad, so I'd stick with Cad. Red light or medium) and Ivory black. If you needed a little more range you could add alizarin crimson, but for the most part those few colors are all you really need.

Other than that you'll need Odorless Mineral Spirits to clean your brushes(do not use to thin paint). And maybe a little or linseed oil or walnut oil and some distilled turpentine if you want to make a simple medium. You'll also need a palette of some sort as well.. think thats about it though at least for starters.

Shizumaru on
    edited September 2010
    McGibs wrote: »
    F87: None of his design elements seem to support the blurb youve got.

Hes very young and scruffy, (youth being an antithesis of wisdom), and in general very scrappy looking. Hes got a stiched up scar on his lip, nicked nose, and a ratty patch on his hat. Skill and finese go well with intelect and wisdom. He has cat-like hunter eyes, which are really more indicitive of a predatory or crafty nature. They arnt wise eyes.
    All in all, this kid is a fighter, through and through.

and yeah, his hat looks like a backwards baseball cap.

You're right. I had a general idea when I started but I didn't really make proper design choices. I did want him to seem like a "scrappy" mage type character, but I guess I went a little overboard. Also, I should have experimented with hat shapes instead of going with the first one I tried.

Thanks, Gibs.
    F87: Obviously you don't have to go so 'extreme' but theres a lot of look here, and I don't think you need to go so conservative :)
    snip

Awesome!! I will definitely draw elements from these. Thanks again, Was!

Edit:

Ok, I'm probably still being too conservative, but I drew another Therian and tweaked the other one as well. Looking any better?

therian_2.jpg

F87 on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Urantia wrote: »
    I don't usually post my character work here, but anyone got some help before I polish it tomorrow? Crits on the drawing are appreciated, but I didn't have time to fix any of the obvious issues as the assignment is just on rendering- so I probably won't fix drawing crits. Masses of light and shade, however, I will. I know, it's pretty scatter brained, but it got it done in the rush time I had.

cleric.jpg

the value pattern is really broken up if you look at this abstractly. Youve done a nice job of pulling out detail and showing form. You just need to decide what to edit out. To many areas of small detail is making this difficult to look at.

For example the arm on the right with the sword going back into space. The silhouette does a good job of describing whats going on and the rendering you have done is just muddying up the value strucutre. perhaps knock it down to just two values..

Id probably eliminate all of the anatomical noodling in the legs, especially the feet.. you have even pulled out veins..

I am biased towards the idea of having one area of high detail and the rest is simple..

Kendeathwalker on
  • nanthilnanthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    94079427.jpg

Meh

Source:

me2wf.jpg

nanthil on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I decided to back and rework an old painting. Not finished yet:

f607551e.png

6511c643.png

b8f403e2.png

51367c12.png

desperaterobots on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is this some kind of commentary on your secret desire for a gay android harem?
    It's good, not to sure on the paint runs though.

Mustang on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    It's a nice design as per usual, DR, but with the white drips and some of those facial expressions the first phrase that pops to my mind when it comes to describing it is, "bukkake aftermath". I dunno if that's what you're going for, or...?

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Quick doodle.

Long time no post.

caseyjones.jpg

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    edited September 2010
    It's a nice design as per usual, DR, but with the white drips and some of those facial expressions the first phrase that pops to my mind when it comes to describing it is, "bukkake aftermath". I dunno if that's what you're going for, or...?

Totally what I was going for.

desperaterobots on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    I think you channeled Bacon there, Tonkka.

bombardier on
    edited September 2010

Totally what I was going for.

You should probably just title it the 'jizz painting' cause that's what everyone will refer to it as from now on.

Mustang on
  • ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't know why I did this.
    5 years from now...

me: "Hey guys, remember that 'jizz painting' that spontaneously acquired superintelligence and took over the world with its spacetime-manipulating powers?"

Mustang: "Of course! I'm the inferior drone who named it!"

me: "Oh yeah that's right. Whelp, I better punch in for this week's Synergistic Death-Army Sweep."

AoB: "Don't forget to neuro-download the daily inferior hivemind thought processes!"

me: "Thanks, I probably would have forgotten. Hail Jizz Painting!"

Mustang and AoB: "Hail Jizz Painting!"
    What is wrong with me?

Paradise on
  • Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DR, I hope you don't find this too gay (or whatever). Your style reminds me of a lot graffiti I've wanted to rip off. So I decided to do a face in homage to you. If you want this for your collection when I'm done, just let me know (If not, anyone else who wants this is more than welcome to it.) All you have to do is PM me your address and I'll take care of the rest (rhyme!).

1drfr.jpg

Mes3 on
    http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
    edited September 2010
    I wanted to texture up what was originally a really flat image with the drizzles, and was keen to experiment with how colours would layer on top of one another. Rather than going back and painting the guys flat white again, I thought I'd try a bunch of white washes. I liked the drizzles though, and I figure the allusions being made by the white drips compliment an image that was already dripping with tongue in cheek homoerotic wink and nudging.

It won't be everyones cup of tea though, and that's ok.

Mes: haha cool! my suggestion is to use fewer strokes ;)

desperaterobots on
  • Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mes: haha cool! my suggestion is to use fewer strokes ;)

I intentionally left the drawing a bit more chaotic then I normally would (look at my thread!). Do you want it or not? I only drew it hoping you would!

Mes3 on
    http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
    edited September 2010
    When i saw DR's work I instantly thought of the Matrix with Neo waking up in the real world with all that goo stuff all over him. I don't have a dirty mind like some others :) Cool pic. good to see new big ass paintings. always been a fan of those.

some character sketches i did a while ago back in may - for one of my bros work mates who was starting up an online clothing store. i had more, better ones but forgot to scan them before giving them to him. oh well.

roller.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    5032935953_dcac633470_b.jpg

Trying to wrap this up for a show at the Garfo Center in Salt Lake City. Whole image spoilered down below, locks of work yet to do. I've got until the 13th
    5032934819_60a2153dda.jpg

Greatnation on
    edited September 2010
    It's looking promising, Greatnation!

---

I added a female Therian and tweaked the others some more. Do they all look similar enough in style?

PY3dI.jpg

F87 on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It all seems like a lot of detail without a lot of defining themes and characteristics other than hats and scritchy eye markings, F87. What exactly is it that makes the lady like the first dude? I mean, if you're going for a general style guide, I guess it's pretty ok.

Kochikens on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    bombardier wrote: »
    I think you channeled Bacon there, Tonkka.

Oh shit, I didn't even think about that, haha!

I'm just having an awesome time in class learning all sorts of new shit, the instructor was drawing Rocksteady and Bebop and I went with the theme.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    edited September 2010
    Oh Shiz and WCK, thanks for the paint tips.

Mustang on
    edited September 2010
    F87 wrote: »
    I added a female Therian and tweaked the others some more. Do they all look similar enough in style?

depends on your definition of style. To me they look fairly consistant in technique and details. They work together and look like they are drawn by the same artist. So in that respect, yes, they look similar in style.

also, i like these line drawings much better than your usual painterly technique. I think you're defining fom and character features much more successful. KEEP AT IT! You're improving.

Mustang - no worries dude!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mes3 wrote: »
    DR, I hope you don't find this too gay (or whatever). Your style reminds me of a lot graffiti I've wanted to rip off. So I decided to do a face in homage to you. If you want this for your collection when I'm done, just let me know (If not, anyone else who wants this is more than welcome to it.) All you have to do is PM me your address and I'll take care of the rest (rhyme!).

radface

I, too, have been emulating your style as of late, DR, but for the purpose of self improvement. I started drawing again last April, and have been using various styles of art that I like to try and get more of a grasp on things like anatomy, and then to stylize things.

I used ChicoBlue's old man with a big nose drawing for one for a while.

Wombat!! on
  • ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Friends of mine just got their band signed and asked me to do the album art, they gave me "beautiful mind, and gloomy" to go on and I came up with this.

jboothlil.jpg

Obilex on
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like it, Obilex. I'd like to see the intended copy (or at least roughly how much visual volume intended copy has).

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    edited September 2010
    If you mean you wanted to see where I started from, this was the base layer that I slapped together to work off of.

baselayer.jpg

Obilex on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think squid was more referring to the text.

Like how the text would fit in, and how big it would be, and how it would all fit together.

Looks sweet, though. BTW.

Sublimus on
    edited September 2010
    OHHHHHH, I get it now. And I'm not really sure haha. That never came up, and I suppose should have been one of the first questions to ask them so I could like, figure out composition and such. Oh well, now I know for next time. When the album finally does print, I'll be sure to post how it turned out.

Obilex on
  • UrantiaUrantia regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't even have time to quote right now, but I just wanted to thank ken for the advice.

Urantia on
    Ignore the above.
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    The perspective of the desk was bothering me in your version, and now I see the original photocollage it's clear it's pretty off - you might want to tweak that.

tynic on
  • jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    sb161ledeuchecosm.jpg

working on coloring this duuuude

I regret putting such dead on lighting for the first characters I did for this a while back, because I am stuck rendering boring stuff for the rest of them now

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    haha that guy is goofy i like him

RubberAC on
This discussion has been closed.