As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] you, George Lucas!

• Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Everyone here just needs to smoke a huge bowl.

Silas Brown on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I would go to a restaurant where they served women in nurse outfits.

Especially if they had two buns. :winky:

Way to be creepy psycho, seriously uncalled for.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

ALSO what I'm gonna do after getting home besides downloading LoL.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Fartacus wrote: »

i mean, i don't really know why east asian people have epicanthal folds, but they do!

Well this one is a sort of catch-22 because having epicanthal folds is part of what defines you as Asian. I mean, there are plenty of people on the continent of Asia who don't have epicanthal folds, and we generally don't call them Asian.

That's sort of the point, right? There very probably are genetic markers related to intelligence but the variation in evolutionary history and environments within the ambiguous categories that are "black" and "white" make it seem pretty unlikely that there would be broad cross-racial differences.

Even moreso because, whereas sickle-cell is a trait that is a clear response to a single environmental pressure (malaria), cognitive ability relates to a tremendous variety of environmental pressures, so you would have to have broadly distinct environments (broad as in things like environments of scarcity and environments of abundance) for their to plausibly be much of a difference.

but there's no really obvious reason why traits like epicanthal folds and flat noses and black hair would be evolutionarily suitable from environments as diverse as korea to thailand. most likely there was either a driving genetic advantage in a region where the mother group was located for a long time (high wind or cold or sun protection or whatever else) or else they were just random but visibly obvious genetic quirks and that early humans in that region wiped out the different-looking human groups because we're kind of xenophobic like that, especially in times of scarcity.

i guess really my point here is that the acceptance of a genetic trait doesn't need to be qualified with a detailed understanding of its environmental origin in the way that arch is demanding.

I basically agree, but was trying to build on my previous arguments as to why merely asking the question could indeed be racist, because any question of genetic difference between the "races" becomes really loaded due to the weird ways in which the races are defined.

But also wanted to point out that there needs to be a little more critical examination of saying things like "why do asian people have epicanthal folds."

Fartacus on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jeez, in Proof of Life Russel Crowe sounds more Kiwi than I've ever noticed before

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

This is a drug reference, yes?

SEE! I am hip to the youths and their wacky slang! Huzzah!

BobCesca on
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

I would go to a restaurant where they served women in nurse outfits.

Especially if they had two buns. :winky:

Way to be creepy psycho, seriously uncalled for.

I'd give 'em some of my special sauce :winky:

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Jeez, in Proof of Life Russel Crowe sounds more Kiwi than I've ever noticed before

Proof of Life is like MIA for chicks.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Marijuana is a gateway drug.

emnmnme on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think fartacus and I are arguing the same thing

Or at least, I am trying to, since fart's post was what really clicked in my head the reason why these questions rub at me the wrong way

Arch on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    what about the east asian slanty eyes thing?

i'm interested in how that fits into your position on racism.

The same way? The fact that all of these people express a similar phenotype is a function of geography and the migration of their ancestors, and doesn't necessarily say anything about these people?

I mean, you can easily say "this person looks like thiiis, that person looks like thaaat" all day. You can speculate as to why there is this physical diversity.

But when you link this physical diversity to some other trait offhand without considering other factors first (asians are better at math olol) I feel you are being dishonest, because the physical appearance is more of an anomaly than anything else.

I am not choosing my words very carefully here, and expect to get pedant'd, but I don't care, this is the [chat] thread

the point here is that you feel it's okay to assume genetic factors even without any understanding of the envrionmental drives when it's blisteringly obvious that something is a genetic factor.

and you're also picking and choosing which claims or investigations have these ridiculously high bars to establishing a genetic link.

if it turns out that, even adjusting for nutrition and culture, that people of east asian extraction are still on average shorter than people of scandinavian extraction, it's not a big deal to you that requires some elaborate story about wrestling bears in sweden and dodging tigers in china.

but if it comes down to possible cognitive differences or behavioral differences then you start requiring these escalating demands.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Was I alone in thinking "Man, David Morse could take those guys"

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
    edited September 2010
    Still want a samoan restaurant, I mean sure it'll be staffed by mexicans, but I want the effort.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    i like fartacus because he likes black chicks with big asses, and movado watches

i feel like he and i can relate, except for the rape thing

Organichu on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I've only watched five minutes of it and already I hate myself/it

I guess I was just surprised about Crowe. He usually sounds quite Aussie, despite his origins and time in NZ*

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    I'm trying to think of a society where being dumb would be an advantage.

Or a society that didn't need a class of manual laborers who didn't require much intelligence.

Both seem unlikely.

well

i don't think it goes to genetic measures of intelligence, but the US is definitely not selecting for whatever genetic traits might be possibly be going into economic success.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh abdhy- did you say you liked my avatar and title?

someone did

to whoever did

thank you

I did!

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Damn guys, I just used my library's bathroom and it is seriously swanky. Like a pretty nice restaurant bathroom.

Sarksus on
    edited September 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »

Was I alone in thinking "Man, David Morse could take those guys"

Nah, its like Keifer Sutherland in Dark City post 24, you just wonder why Jack Bauer doesn't kill everyone and fuck Jennifer Connelly for like an hour and a half.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gim wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »

We've been beaten to the punch.

It hurts my heart just to look at that page.

They just serve burgers and women in nurse oufits that don't fit (with mirrored floors). We wouldn't bother with that bullshit. It'd just be a pit with ridiculous food.

We'd serve everything in troughs!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Eorramatur
    Ripoff.

Couscous on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »

So's your mother

nexuscrawler on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »

Oh, Bob. Never change. <3

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Damn guys, I just used my library's bathroom and it is seriously swanky. Like a pretty nice restaurant bathroom.

was there an attendant

Organichu on
    edited September 2010
    what about the east asian slanty eyes thing?

i'm interested in how that fits into your position on racism.

The same way? The fact that all of these people express a similar phenotype is a function of geography and the migration of their ancestors, and doesn't necessarily say anything about these people?

I mean, you can easily say "this person looks like thiiis, that person looks like thaaat" all day. You can speculate as to why there is this physical diversity.

But when you link this physical diversity to some other trait offhand without considering other factors first (asians are better at math olol) I feel you are being dishonest, because the physical appearance is more of an anomaly than anything else.

I am not choosing my words very carefully here, and expect to get pedant'd, but I don't care, this is the [chat] thread

the point here is that you feel it's okay to assume genetic factors even without any understanding of the envrionmental drives when it's blisteringly obvious that something is a genetic factor.

and you're also picking and choosing which claims or investigations have these ridiculously high bars to establishing a genetic link.

if it turns out that, even adjusting for nutrition and culture, that people of east asian extraction are still on average shorter than people of scandinavian extraction, it's not a big deal to you that requires some elaborate story about wrestling bears in sweden and dodging tigers in china.

but if it comes down to possible cognitive differences or behavioral differences then you start requiring these escalating demands.

You are really not making a coherent point

"You easily assume genetic factors when they are really really obviously genetic, but when they could be subject to other influences you require more critical examination"

yes, that is true

Arch on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey Arch

hey

Imma givin' you a look

o.o

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited September 2010
    I can never tell when you're trolling anymore, Will. I think it must be a function of [chat]; like how Thanatos rose to meet the perception that he hates everything, you've become some sort of arch-oldguy. Forever yelling at those damn kids to get off your lawn, not really sure if you're championing gender essentialism out of genuine belief or just to stick it to these long-haired hippie fags.

it's mostly out of pique at the echo chamber this place becomes at times.

Does any group of like-minded individuals become an echo chamber? Are friends just an echo chamber? Friends ought to share something in common with one another, does that create an echo chamber? We do not agree on everything in this place, anyway.

they can but don't always.

but it always bothers me, especially when i basically agree with the consensus. it makes me feel like an uncritical asshole within a self-reinforcing circle.

At times the group has simply found the correct answer.

yeah but even then they benefit from having that answer challenged

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010
    Organichu wrote: »

was there an attendant

There should have been. He wouldn't have felt out of place.

Sarksus on
    edited September 2010

I guess I was just surprised about Crowe. He usually sounds quite Aussie, despite his origins and time in NZ*

It has Caruso in a side roll, and god knows I love the carus (I mean I've seen Jade, kiss of death and some other horrible god damn movie with him in it).

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »

uh oh guys, Bobby's onto you.

desc on
    edited September 2010
    Also it is easy to explain physical differences as an emergent function of geographic dispersal; cognitive function and behavior patterns?

Not so much.

Arch on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Gateway to overeating and sloth! Hell yes!

Silas Brown on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also I was about to reply with a flurry of the british yout slang I've absorbed through musical osmosis to Bob, but I can't multitask that well.

desc on
    edited September 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Hey Arch

hey

Imma givin' you a look

o.o

yeah yeah

Imma leave anyway

later [chat] time to go eat some spaghetti

on a serious note: I may drown in a horrible flood

so if I vanish for a long time you should actually worry

Arch on
    edited September 2010

So's your mother

The only thing marijuana seems to be a gateway drug for is failure.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010

It has Caruso in a side roll, and god knows I love the carus (I mean I've seen Jade, kiss of death and some other horrible god damn movie with him in it).

He was pretty great in Session 9.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Did you see Session 9? I liked it.

Edit: jacob fuck you and high five

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
    edited September 2010
    my half marathon is in seven weeks

fingers crossed i don't trip anyone with my bumbling feet

Organichu on
    edited September 2010
    I can never tell when you're trolling anymore, Will. I think it must be a function of [chat]; like how Thanatos rose to meet the perception that he hates everything, you've become some sort of arch-oldguy. Forever yelling at those damn kids to get off your lawn, not really sure if you're championing gender essentialism out of genuine belief or just to stick it to these long-haired hippie fags.

it's mostly out of pique at the echo chamber this place becomes at times.

Does any group of like-minded individuals become an echo chamber? Are friends just an echo chamber? Friends ought to share something in common with one another, does that create an echo chamber? We do not agree on everything in this place, anyway.

they can but don't always.

but it always bothers me, especially when i basically agree with the consensus. it makes me feel like an uncritical asshole within a self-reinforcing circle.

At times the group has simply found the correct answer.

yeah but even then they benefit from having that answer challenged

I don't care to hear from a creationist what they think about evolution. Sometimes one group is just wrong and the other is just right and repeating that correct information is not an echo chamber.

I am not referring to this specific situation and framing you as a creationist and the others as people who accept evolution, either.

Sarksus on
    edited September 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »

He was pretty great in Session 9.

No FUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010
    Here is where I say an opinion that may not sit well with other biologists

Animal models are not very applicable to studies of human behavior, no matter how close to human the model is.

I know it hasn't really come up, but I want to say it now.

why are animal models inapplicable to human behavioral studies?

don't you think it's possible to draw some parallels between mothering behaviors in mammals?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.