As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] you, George Lucas!

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Way to double poast!

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    someone should infract kosh or that double post

Organichu on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I uh, climb on top of bridges and think about what would happen if I lost my grip in detail

now I don't have a certificate saying I'm not crazy so no guarantees but I don't think I'm crazy

doing it on the subway is comparetively very sane!

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Way to double poast!

Infract that guy!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »

Yeah, my couple of weeks spent in a mental hospital was helpful in a few ways.

One of those ways is that the docs there actually helped me quite a bit with getting my head on straight. Another way it helps is being removed from any hostile environment that might be causing or contributing to the problem.

And a third way it helped is that I spent two weeks going "Holy shit I don't belong here. I feel bad for these people, but holy shit I'm not this bad."

I was actually the only one who wasn't there for attempting suicide.

I've actually considered recently getting mental assistance for sociopathic tendencies. I wonder if my medical would cover that.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I won't commit suicide because I know it'll upset people I care about but that's really the only reason to bother staying alive

okay that sounds crazy but man, think about it

being dead doesn't bother anyone

Also: Suicide is for pussies.

:?

Organichu on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Way to double poast!

Infract that guy!

Infract me! Infract you! Infract everybody!

PUNITIVE DAMAGES!

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Suicide is friggin' hard, man. It can hurt and you have to do all these preparations. It's easier suffering through life.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

One of those ways is that the docs there actually helped me quite a bit with getting my head on straight. Another way it helps is being removed from any hostile environment that might be causing or contributing to the problem.

And a third way it helped is that I spent two weeks going "Holy shit I don't belong here. I feel bad for these people, but holy shit I'm not this bad."

I've actually considered recently getting mental assistance for sociopathic tendencies. I wonder if my medical would cover that.

torching homeless people again?

what a cliche

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I fixed it you jerks.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    or, I'll never commit suicide

as in, do something that kills me because I want to die

rather, I want to feel like what it feels like to fall from something very tall

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Suicide is friggin' hard, man. It can hurt and you have to do all these preparations. It's easier suffering through life.

Lazy men don't commit suicide, this is what you're saying?

Passerbye on
  • Options
    FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    i like fartacus because he likes black chicks with big asses, and movado watches

i feel like he and i can relate, except for the rape thing

Goddamn I do.

I feel pretty much OK about thinking Nicki Minaj is really goddamn fine ever since hearing her completely kill it on that Kanye single.

I mean dat ass

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Bungee jump

Chanus on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Skydiving seems fun.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I always have the urge to punch anyone who describes suicide as cowardly, selfish, for pussies, etc.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Oh joy, Ayan Hirsi Ali is doing her World Affairs Council thing in Seattle today. :?

Dammit, I have to go to the library so I'll have to walk past the stupid protesters. Hopefully they'll be gone by tonights' panel.

What type of protestesters does she attract in the US?

Having not seen them yet, I don't know. I just know that 75% of protesters are stupid, it seems to be some kind of Universal Law.

The IQ of a member of a mob is the IQ of its stupidest member divided by the number of people there.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Razors pain you;
    Rivers are damp;
    Acids stain you;
    And drugs cause cramp.
    Guns aren't lawful;
    Nooses give;
    Gas smells awful;
    You might as well live.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I always have the urge to punch anyone who describes suicide as cowardly, selfish, for pussies, etc.

not punching people is for pussies too

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »

torching homeless people again?

what a cliche

Nah more a general dislike of people and a lack of empathy for those around me. It's not to the stage where I don't believe in morals or laws, I just wonder if I'm missing out on social interactions because of an untreated disorder.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Base jumping.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hmm.

I can go see Clutch tonight with some friends.

But I'm only vaugely aware of their tunes, although what I do know I kinda like.

But I'm not sure I want to pay at the door price for a ticket.

Hmm.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Yes, and this is perfectly all right. EG: Go look up that thread by The Scribe.

It is good sense to assume bad faith on the part of some speakers based on past experience with them.

And that is definetly applicable in your case Will.

why is the assumption of bad faith applicable in my case?

Because you've made it very clear you are not asking these questions because you want to know the answers but to rile up people who, entirely in your mind, are too much of an "echo chamber" (and, btw, using that phrase puts you in very good company indeed with a long line of now-banned D&D crackpots).

i don't ask questions to rile people up. i do want to know the answers because i think the answers are important in investigating the question, so as to not fall prey to sophistry and an echo chamber mentality.

the purpose of the Debate and Discourse subforum is in part, as the name might imply, to Debate things as well as to Discuss things.

we aren't required, nor particularly encouraged, to agree on things.

as always, though, your recommendations as to proper conduct in this forum are deeply appreciated. i'll be sure to put your name up for replacement modship whenever i get banned for crackpottery.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

God, seriously.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Base jumping.

the part right before you hit the ground is the best part!

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »

That would be the other draw though. Getting to observe and be around crazy people without actually having the responsibility of having to give them care or keep them safe and whatnot. Also feeling less weird by comparison.

Incredibly depressing actually, sometimes you meet people who used to function until their event, and you can see in their eyes they know they are broken in a way that will not be fixed. Part of the reason they let not as serious cases see these people, kind of a scared sane style of doctoring. Don't know how effective it is, because both times I visited someone in the mental ward they were too far gone to consider how sad their life currently was.

One of the guys I do group with has that look in his eyes. He survived and had a reason to, but once survival was no longer an issue, it took away what drove him. You look into his eyes and that spark that makes him a person is gone and he knows it.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010

"Mr. Preacher, what makes you think that we at Globeco Insurance should underwrite these therapy and medication bills you're racking up? Your policy only covers life-threatening emergencies."
    "Well sir I thought this counted, I've recently discovered that I feel absolutely no fear or remorse over the prospect of hurting people who get in my way."
    "....okay, go for it."

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

The best way I've heard it described as a long term solution to a short term problem. And that sounds really callous but for most people its the truth, their desire to kill themselves is sparked by a recent situation or problem they feel is worse then it actually is or will have longer term effects then it really will.

I say this as someone who had to call a suicide hotline.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm trying to think of a society where being dumb would be an advantage.

Or a society that didn't need a class of manual laborers who didn't require much intelligence.

Both seem unlikely.

well

i don't think it goes to genetic measures of intelligence, but the US is definitely not selecting for whatever genetic traits might be possibly be going into economic success.

Yeah this is actually pretty interesting to think about, to my mind.

We have a society right now which is selecting against whatever traits are correlated to economic success. Is that a good thing? Are there any traits which are clearly correlated to economic success in the first place? IQ doesn't seem particularly closely correlated to economic success -- the most important factor to being well-off is being born well-off, and that probably won't change for a long time.

I mean I guess at minimum it just means it'll accelerate the disappearance of white people, because regardless of any traits being meaningfully causal of success, social privilege is linked to economic success.

Wouldn't it be ironic if all that discrimination out of the belief of the superiority of the white race ultimately hastened its disappearance from the world!

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Fartacus wrote: »
    i like fartacus because he likes black chicks with big asses, and movado watches

i feel like he and i can relate, except for the rape thing

Goddamn I do.

I feel pretty much OK about thinking Nicki Minaj is really goddamn fine ever since hearing her completely kill it on that Kanye single.

I mean dat ass

even before Monster dropped she had a nice flow... but christ is she filthy.

i generally smile when i hear a woman confident enough to sex it up in the lyrics of a song, like rude boy, but nicki is p. much... vulgar. it's hilarious.

i mean, it's something so funny when it get soft
    i like to play with it, squeeze it like a stress ball

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Razors pain you;
    Rivers are damp;
    Acids stain you;
    And drugs cause cramp.
    Guns aren't lawful;
    Nooses give;
    Gas smells awful;
    You might as well live.

It's such a hassle to get a gun, too.

My plan would be to alienate everyone I knew and make them at least indifferent to me and then I would announce that I was moving across the country, and then I would pay someone to kill me and ensure no one found the body.

That is the most selfless suicide that isn't reliant on your own will. But it's a lot of hard work!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »

"Mr. Preacher, what makes you think that we at Globeco Insurance should underwrite these therapy and medication bills you're racking up? Your policy only covers life-threatening emergencies."
    "Well sir I thought this counted, I've recently discovered that I feel absolutely no fear or remorse over the prospect of hurting people who get in my way."
    "....okay, go for it."

Everyone always links sociopathy with pyschopathy but they aren't neccessarily connected. If anything psycopath is a small subsection of sociopath.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2010

The best way I've heard it described as a long term solution to a short term problem. And that sounds really callous but for most people its the truth, their desire to kill themselves is sparked by a recent situation or problem they feel is worse then it actually is or will have longer term effects then it really will.

Oh yeah, that's a perfectly fine way of describing it.

It's just that the people who describe it as cowardly or selfish have absolutely no idea of context. I mean to the point that I assume the very concept of context does not exist in their mind for them to call it that.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I presume it will produce some adrenaline, you'll feel very windy and it will be over before you realise it.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Fartacus wrote: »
    I basically agree, but was trying to build on my previous arguments as to why merely asking the question could indeed be racist, because any question of genetic difference between the "races" becomes really loaded due to the weird ways in which the races are defined.

But also wanted to point out that there needs to be a little more critical examination of saying things like "why do asian people have epicanthal folds."

the reason that asking the question is considered racist is because there's an implicit assumption of bad faith on the asker.

Yes, because there's no way it could be asked in good faith, because it's insanely implausible and there's no empirical evidence that would contradict that conceptual unlikelihood.

It's like saying that someone asking about intelligent design is considered creationist because there's an implicit assumption of bad faith on the part of the asker. Well, yeah. It's pretty clearly indicative of ignorance, deeply-ingrained bias, or an attempt to proselytize.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    in horror movies i've always found crazy people scarier than ghosts- like, the people who laugh hysterically or silently rock and smile at the camera or w/e

Watching someone in the process of losing their mind is was freaks me out.

desc on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Oh yeah, that's a perfectly fine way of describing it.

It's just that the people who describe it as cowardly or selfish have absolutely no idea of context. I mean to the point that I assume the very concept of context does not exist in their mind for them to call it that.

I've done it before, but that was out of anger at losing someone to suicide. You do stupid things when you're angry, say some hurtful things, though its not like he heard any of them.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Oh joy, Ayan Hirsi Ali is doing her World Affairs Council thing in Seattle today. :?

Dammit, I have to go to the library so I'll have to walk past the stupid protesters. Hopefully they'll be gone by tonights' panel.

What type of protestesters does she attract in the US?

Having not seen them yet, I don't know. I just know that 75% of protesters are stupid, it seems to be some kind of Universal Law.

The IQ of a member of a mob is the IQ of its stupidest member divided by the number of people there.

I've been in a riot (does that count as a mob?) and I've been in many protests, I wouldn't say they're the same. Mobs are pure emotion, I wouldn't describe them as 'stupid' because there is no intelligence involved. Protests are different, where most participants had a gut reaction to something and thought waving a sign was the best (see, fastest) response, rather than consciously thinking it through.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Razors pain you;
    Rivers are damp;
    Acids stain you;
    And drugs cause cramp.
    Guns aren't lawful;
    Nooses give;
    Gas smells awful;
    You might as well live.

It's such a hassle to get a gun, too.

My plan would be to alienate everyone I knew and make them at least indifferent to me and then I would announce that I was moving across the country, and then I would pay someone to kill me and ensure no one found the body.

That is the most selfless suicide that isn't reliant on your own will. But it's a lot of hard work!

The problem is, as soon as you went missing people would care again... and then there'd be no closure because they wouldn't even know why you were missing.

That would be worse.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Heh

The sender of this work-related email is labeled CTS

And the first thing that popped into my head was "oh shit an email from Cardboard Tube Samurai"

Nocturne on
This discussion has been closed.